BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2024 X7 Left Me and My Toddler Stranded

03-24-2024, 04:23 PM   #23
john_wick
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G07

I hate how tech dependent new cars can be now a days. Seems like one small thing can be a nightmare to diagnose. Luckily our X7 has been problem free so far. Sorry this happened to you and understand the frustrations. Hopefully the dealer will take care of you. Not sure which one you are at in Charlotte but I had bad experiences with both on the sales side and went out of state with mine but still found their sales to be pretty poor as well. Good luck with this keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:53 AM   #24
clt_bmwguy
Rep
Drives: 24 x7

Waiting to hear back this week. Hopefully some good news.

Regarding trading it in, I have it paid off I just don't want to take a huge hit and lose a ton of money on a car that shouldn't be having these issues. I'd like the car if it wasn't so buggy and leaving me stranded. Although the A/C leaves room to be desired and same with the UI to get to the rear seats. There really should be a rear seat HVAC button that's more accessible.

It also has never left me stranded before the other weekend so the buggy software crashing, I just made do with it and brought it into the dealership repeatedly. I was hoping to get that fixed but it seems like its just getting worse.

The SA said with these new cars he draws the analogy of the old christmas lights. If one system goes down it can affect several or all of the other systems on the car.

This analogy makes me dislike the car even more haha. If something like a tail light or a bluetooth module can prevent the car from starting or disable safety features permanently in the car that seems like the order of operations for mission critical functionality (starting the car) is not setup properly.
Appreciate 1
keg97166.50
      03-26-2024, 11:26 AM   #25
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Understandable to want to switch brands. But the Merc electrical issues are almost on every car (at least the ones we’ve purchased, which is 3) - RR/LR good luck! Maybe GM would be acceptable but it’s more of a truck. Lexus or Toyota seem like a safe bet.

Sorry this happened to you, OP.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 09:32 AM   #26
clt_bmwguy
Rep

BMW is refusing to trade assist or buy back. They say the issue is fixed. So I’m going to pick it up and my 6 service records for the car and contact a lemon lawyer. They say the car is fixed every time I pick it up.

They offered me a monthly payment reimbursement. Slap in the face for the safety of my family.

Will just let this sit around and purchase something else I suppose.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      04-01-2024, 09:45 AM   #27
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt_bmwguy View Post
BMW is refusing to trade assist or buy back. They say the issue is fixed. So I’m going to pick it up and my 6 service records for the car and contact a lemon lawyer. They say the car is fixed every time I pick it up.

They offered me a monthly payment reimbursement. Slap in the face for the safety of my family.

Disgusting Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #28
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:

Do you think you have a documented lemon law case based on your state law requirements?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 10:43 AM   #29
clt_bmwguy
Rep

I gotta check all the service reports. My guess is symptoms are temporarily gone. But will come back or not be fixed at all. It hasn’t been out 20 days but it’s been in the shop 6 times for same issue and now 60 electrical faults.

Idk if this is related: Has anyone else ever noticed their rear lights on for an extended period of time? Several times I’ve parked the car in the garage around 530 and then when I’m about to go up to bed around 9 the tail lights are on and I have to lock the car to make them go away? This happened a long time ago but not sure if it’s still happening.

I told the SA a couple times that I feel like the car doesn’t want to turn off and he said that’s the car trying to be “smart”
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

Unfortunately that makes sense from a legal perspective. Once it has been repaired it no longer qualifies for the lemon law so they have no legal incentive to do anything. From a customer service point of view they should though.
      04-01-2024, 11:01 AM   #31
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
I had the same problem with the rear lights but haven't noticed it lately. It may have been fixed with an update but I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 11:08 AM   #32
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
I had the same problem with the rear lights but haven't noticed it lately. It may have been fixed with an update but I am not sure.
I wonder if this is related to the brake booster problems? On my 24 X5, I had all sort of problems with electronics or not being able to remote start and at some point the car threw a CEL that went away after restart but when I took it to the dealer, they said it is all because of a faulty brake booster (the CEL was due to brake booster fault). I first argued with the SA how all this could be related to the brake booster but they replaced it and all the issues were solved. And they had to wait a week to get the brake booster because apparently so so many of them fail on different X series cars that they limit how many each dealer can order/week so they can send available parts to all dealers evenly
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:16 PM   #33
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
I gotta check all the service reports. My guess is symptoms are temporarily gone. But will come back or not be fixed at all. It hasn’t been out 20 days but it’s been in the shop 6 times for same issue and now 60 electrical faults.

Idk if this is related: Has anyone else ever noticed their rear lights on for an extended period of time? Several times I’ve parked the car in the garage around 530 and then when I’m about to go up to bed around 9 the tail lights are on and I have to lock the car to make them go away? This happened a long time ago but not sure if it’s still happening.

I told the SA a couple times that I feel like the car doesn’t want to turn off and he said that’s the car trying to be “smart”
i think the issue will be that you haven't breached the out of service days and the problem is "fixed"

to the other question, could it be the prox key waking up the car? how far is the key from the car? not locking the doors will delay the car going to sleep.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 01:12 PM   #34
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Can you manually shut down the iDrive in your garage by pushing the volume in for 3 seconds like the pre LCI? I do this all the time when I pull in my garage as I don’t lock my doors. I don’t think my standby power delay is longer than maybe 3 minutes if I don’t manually shut down the iDrive when exiting/closing the X7 door.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:05 PM   #35
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

I noticed the lights on mine staying on longer than I’d like as well. Even though it’s in my garage, I now lock the doors anticipating that it completely shuts the car off immeditately. Given how infrequently we drive it, I worry that not doing this would sap the battery pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:29 PM   #36
clt_bmwguy
Rep

It’s not letting me attach a photo from mobile so I’m copying the notes from the service

LABOR & PARTS.
J# 1 98BMZTOWING
* TOWED IN VEHICLE
TECH(S) : 9028
CUSTOMER REQUESTED TO HAVE VEHICLE TOWED IN @ THEIR EXPENSE (USE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE IF VEHICLE IS UNDER WARRANTY)
PERFORMED REQUESTED TOW IN SERVICE FOR CUSTOMER HENDRICK BMW WISHES YOU TO HAVE AN EXCELLENT DAY!!
JOB # 1 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS
J# 2 12BMZ
J# 3 61BMZ
CC708034 Q (04/21
The Reynolds and Reynolds Company ERAINTINVE
J# 4 61BMZ1
ELEC IGN SYS DIAG
TECH (S) : 9028
CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE WOULD NOT START OVER THE WEEKEND CUSTOMER STATES TRIED WITH VIRTUAL KEY ON PHONE AND WATCH AS WELL AS PHYSICAL KEY AND VEHICLE WOULD NOT START CUSTOMER STATES TRIED TO REMOTE START VEHICLE VIA APP AND VEHICLE WOULD NOT START PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE
performed short test and connected battery charger. numerous faults stored pertaining to customer compliant. 30€08, 804102, 8041ab and 30e08 are all concerning Low vehicle operating voltage. performed energy diagnosis and found the reason for the low voltage was the parking light being left on for an extended period of time. d6121-00endiag-73-500. removed cargo area trim to inspect battery and check for good ground connection. operation was normal.
•charged vehicle battery over night. operation is normal.
JOB # 2 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS
* CHASSIS ELEC DIAG.
CUSTOMER STATES REDUCED DRIVERS ASSISTANCE WARNING DISPLAYED IN VEHICLE
PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE
performed short test and connected battery charger. numerous certificate and token faults stored.
also numerous
coding faults stored. performed test plan for dsc coding fault.
found software error in dsc. recommend programming.
dc d3450- dsc0000-90-200
performed programming. test drove and operation is normal.
JOB # 3 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS
GENERAL ELECT. SYS.
CUSTOMER STATES WHEN VEHICLE WOULD NOT START HE TRIED TO CONTACT ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE VIA THE SOS BUTTON IN VEHICLE AND IT WOULD NOT CALL OUT
CUSTOMER STATES CONTACTED ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE VIA CELL PHONE AND THEY STATED THEY COULD NOT REMOTELY CONNECT TO THE VEHICLE
PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE
see job 2
JOB # 4 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS

I asked what they updated on the car and he said literally everything, which I do not buy to be honest.

Siri did not crash the nav though, however it just didn’t work and Spun instead. and my phone paired successfully.

I think they purposely left off the nav/siri issue from this so it wouldn’t apply towards the X amount of times for the same issue (lemon law)

Also I don’t think the rear lights are related to proximity key because they are stored far away. I had a neighbor text me once because she noticed the lights had been on for a while at night.

I think what happens is I get out of the car sometimes and I don’t lock it because it’s in my garage and the car literally wil never turn off. I’m connecting the dots now with some low voltage issues. The SA said if I get out of the car like opening the door too quickly the car thinks it’s being smart by staying on (just power not engine). But now I’m thinking this is some kind of bug/fault. I’ll test over the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 10:01 AM   #37
clt_bmwguy
Rep

I parked the car today and got out without locking it and went out and hour or so later and it was off. Maybe they actually fixed the car not turning off with one of the software updates. Who knows.

It would literally stay on for hours before even with the setting to turn the car off after opening the door was enabled.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #38
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I parked the car today and got out without locking it and went out and hour or so later and it was off. Maybe they actually fixed the car not turning off with one of the software updates. Who knows.

It would literally stay on for hours before even with the setting to turn the car off after opening the door was enabled.

This isn’t a new issue. There were reports back 3 years ago of G05 X5 with their lights on for hours in the garage after walking away and not locking. It’s a bug. After any update I check to see how long my dome/iDrive stays active when I close the door. I believe less than 3 minutes is the norm.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:42 AM   #39
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This isn’t a new issue. There were reports back 3 years ago of G05 X5 with their lights on for hours in the garage after walking away and not locking. It’s a bug. After any update I check to see how long my dome/iDrive stays active when I close the door. I believe less than 3 minutes is the norm.
I thought I would add that repeated unnecessary discharge of lead/acid batteries degrades their life. Of course, if they are run down they may not recover.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:47 PM   #40
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
I thought I would add that repeated unnecessary discharge of lead/acid batteries degrades their life. Of course, if they are run down they may not recover.
This is why all my garaged vehicles that are not driven daily have a Battery Tender quick connection cord coming out of every vehicle. I pull in and plug it in to the tender every time I park. You would not believe how long a battery will last if you always put it on a tender when not in use. It also keeps the batteries in top health. The parasitic power loss from a modern car in just one week is terrible.
Appreciate 1
rjabend368.50
      04-03-2024, 01:29 AM   #41
clt_bmwguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I’m seeing a post from 2019 with the same symptoms.
How on earth is my 2024 x7 having the same software bug as a 2019/2020. It looks fixed now but I don’t understand how my car was on some buggy software from years ago, especially after many visits.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 06:46 AM   #42
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
I’m seeing a post from 2019 with the same symptoms.
How on earth is my 2024 x7 having the same software bug as a 2019/2020. It looks fixed now but I don’t understand how my car was on some buggy software from years ago, especially after many visits.
realize that since efficient dynamics, the battery is only charged when the engine is overrunning (when not on the throttle at speed). in the winter i top off my battery every so often as its sometimes sitting at less than 60% charge and i dont drive enough in conditions that charge the battery.

these cars dont like being left unlocked- even moreso with the proximity keys, if you are walking by the car with the key in your pocket, the car will wake up, and that will drain the battery.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:59 AM   #43
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
realize that since efficient dynamics, the battery is only charged when the engine is overrunning (when not on the throttle at speed). .
There is an exception to that. When the battery falls below a specific SOC, 60% from what we have seen most often, then the alternator wil kick in and run until it hits the upper SOC limit, 80%.
      04-04-2024, 02:35 PM   #44
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I can’t be the only one who thinks that BMW thinking their car is “smart” and staying on when the owner/driver has turned in for the night is an idiotic “feature”.

I personally can’t stand the car waking up and connecting to Bluetooth simply by opening either the driver or passenger door when I have no intention of turning the car on, or starting it, or going anywhere. With the car unlocked in my garage, I can’t take anything out, or throw something in it without it connecting to either my, or my wife’s (whichever is closer) phone, and staying connected unless I press/hold the volume know power button because I dared to open the door of the car without going anywhere.

Seriously, this drives me nuts, and I have yet to see something more poorly designed or thought of in an otherwise great machine.
Appreciate 0