BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum "Power" liftgate not working on my new 2023 X7

10-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

"Power" liftgate not working on my new 2023 X7

Let me see if I can explain this properly. Since yesterday, my X7 trunk stopped lifting automatically (power) when I open the trunk.
The trunk opens fine (therefore it's not the latch), but the door doesn't open automatically. I have to manually lift it and close it. Happening with both Lift gate and tailgate.
I tried using the boot kick, keyfob, the trunk button in the car and
while parked/engine turned on AND parked/engine turned off. I can't figure out whats wrong. I checked the lift gate settings, it is set to open to the highest setting.

What else I should try?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Nothing that you can try really. You need to take it to the dealer. The fact that both doors aren't working is a good indication that it may not be a hardware failure (unless they both decided to fail at the same time) but rather electronics or communication issue from a module that controls both doors. Hopefully it is an easy "same-day" fix and that no new parts need to be ordered (long-waiting time).
Appreciate 1
ddno166.00
      10-28-2022, 02:00 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I would try rebooting iDrive by holding down the volume button until the iDrive screen goes black. It takes about 30 seconds for it to reboot. If that doesn't fix it I would take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I would try rebooting iDrive by holding down the volume button until the iDrive screen goes black. It takes about 30 seconds for it to reboot. If that doesn't fix it I would take it to the dealer.
Funny. Not funny. Brand new X7. First day. After maybe half dozen cycles, liftgate will open but not close. Lower won’t work at all. Hearing motor trying to work. Tried IDrive hard reset. No joy. Suspect bad module. Dash says tailgate open and backup camera inop. Tailgate not completely flush so the closing mechanism that sucks it shut inop. Taking it in tomorrow. OTW, after day one, all else seems great. Easy transition from X5, even w Idrive8. Even w engine governor on fir first few hundred miles, this M60 has plenty of juice for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechflyr View Post
Funny. Not funny. Brand new X7. First day. After maybe half dozen cycles, liftgate will open but not close. Lower won’t work at all. Hearing motor trying to work. Tried IDrive hard reset. No joy. Suspect bad module. Dash says tailgate open and backup camera inop. Tailgate not completely flush so the closing mechanism that sucks it shut inop. Taking it in tomorrow. OTW, after day one, all else seems great. Easy transition from X5, even w Idrive8. Even w engine governor on fir first few hundred miles, this M60 has plenty of juice for me.
Tailgate motor needs to be replaced. Down for 3 weeks awaiting part from Germany. Anticipating BMW stepping up on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update. Shop disconnected the battery, then reconnected and reinstalled all software and initialized everything. Total factory reset. It worked in the shop. Went to drive it away, tried tailgate ourselves, lower works fine, top won’t close. Will update.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2022, 11:27 PM   #7
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep

No update on mine. Car in shop for 3-4 days now
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddno1 View Post
Latest. Replacing all soft close and lock actuators, and the latch. Parts to come from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 10:08 PM   #9
ddno1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechflyr View Post
Quote:
Latest. Replacing all soft close and lock actuators, and the latch. Parts to come from Germany.

I was told they cannot replace anything until they can recreate it
Damn it …. I even have the video of it, but they say its working fine when they test it

My car is still at the shop. I got X3 as the loaner!!
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
Beechflyr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was told they cannot replace anything until they can recreate it
Damn it …. I even have the video of it, but they say its working fine when they test it

My car is still at the shop. I got X3 as the loaner!!
Waiting to hear what my fault code was. I will pass it along as soon as I hear. The tailgate worked well in the shop. They were delivering the car back to us a week ago. We cycled it in the parking lot before leaving, and it failed. at least for hours, it looks like the tailgate works for half a dozen cycles or so, but then will fail. Will pass along any tidbits they provide. It is frustrating as this situation is not exclusive to Idrive eight. The mechanism has been in the X5 and X7 series for years now.
Appreciate 1
ddno166.00