E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i; a few initial impressions

10-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

325i; a few initial impressions

I have only had the car for a couple of days and of course have not driven it hard but I already have a couple of positive impressions.

Mystic Blue is a slightly darker shade than I had expected, probably due to ambient lighting conditions. It has been cloudy with rain since I picked up the car while it was sunny and bright when I saw the colour on an E46 in June and made my choice. I had already owned a Sierra yellow and 2 whites, a black, a medium grey and a silver BMW and I was fed up with non-colours. BMW’s will always look great in the classic shades of grey and loud colours tend to go in and out of fashion quickly. However, I think the Mystic is conservative enough that it will not become tiresome. For me, waiting for a medium blue was well worth it.

It has been a huge surprise to me that the E90 325i with sports suspension is a lot more comfortable over rough surfaces than my former E46 328i with its sport suspension. The difference is like night and day and was totally unexpected. I had thought that runflats being stiffer tires would produce a harsher ride but they don’t.

I installed a weighted M3 short shift knob. This seems to have reduced the notchiness of gear changes a bit but not completely.

The new 325i must be the revenge of the nerds. I purposely avoided ordering I-drive but the car is still loaded with marginally useful gimmicks. It’s so complicated that you practically need a simulator to train on before taking it on the road and I haven’t even started to tackle the radio yet.

This forum was a tremendous help to me when making my purchase decisions, for example, I was armed with the crucial knowledge that new colours were coming in September when I went to the roll-out of the E90 in June. None of the salespersons I talked to at that time knew or would admit to it and I very probably would have bought a colour that would not be among my first three choices. So thanks to everyone here, especially E90 Fleet and Tierfreund.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Congrats on buying a beautiful color. I, myself, love it and it will look a lot better after the weather clears and the sun comes out.
      10-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

Any photos to show?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

must...have...photo...

11-10-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep

I have had the car now for about two weeks and have a couple of additional impressions.

The cockpit layout is better for me than the E46. I never did find a driving position that did not block the tops of the main gauges on the E46. On long trips, I change the seat position from time to time, which is one reason why I ordered powered sports seats, and there are several good positions I can use on the E90. This is a bit of a surprise since the sport steering wheel is smaller in diameter and thicker than the one I had on the E46.

As others have reported, I too find the throttle response a bit odd. In the old days, I might have said that there is not enough mechanical advantage in the throttle linkage but these days it is probably electronically controlled and it is the way that BMW has chosen to program it. There is too much pedal travel required to blip the throttle on downshifts but it's not a big deal; I'll get used to it. The pedal return spring feels a bit light as well.

Attached is a photograph of my Mystic Blue 325i, sports & premium, Canadian configuration (i.e., winter package). The wheels are my winter wheels, 16" Borbet Type E, with Blizzaks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
sweet!! which area in toronto do you live??
      11-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #7
brickley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, SG, 6spd,

where did you get the m3 short throw knob?? How much

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
congratulations on your new car enjoy
      11-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

I like the color of mystic in your pic. It's darker than what I have seen in other posts.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickley
where did you get the m3 short throw knob?? How much

Thanks.
Actually, I made a slight mistake in my first post, it is an E46 M knob not an M3 knob - I think they are different. My sales rep gave it to me as a good will gesture when I took delivery of the car; the parts department had one in stock and I believe its selling price is around $90.00 Canadian. However, I believe that they are now very scarce; I think BMW Canada only had a few left in their warehouse as of a couple of weeks ago. You should be able to get the E90 M knob soon but it looks like they have a different shape, the more angular shape of the E90 OEM knob instead of the rounded E46 shape.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
those winter wheels doesnt do justice to that car, other than than its gorgeous
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #12
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
The new 325i must be the revenge of the nerds. I purposely avoided ordering I-drive but the car is still loaded with marginally useful gimmicks. It’s so complicated that you practically need a simulator to train on before taking it on the road and I haven’t even started to tackle the radio yet.
Been complaining about this for awhile ... I like the way you word it though, "marginally useful". Like the turn signal. Why? The old one worked perfectly and worked just like every other turn signal ever made. Why does it now need to be electronic? Answer: it doesn't.

Angel eyes. Yeah, the kids think they look cool but what purpose do they serve?

"Soft stop" brakes. I couldn't do this myself by letting up on the brake pedal a little before coming to a complete stop?

I'm sure I'll find plenty more to at once my car comes. Why can't they just focus even more on driving dynamics and less on gadgets? German automotive electronics have *never* been known to be reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #13
ABR
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Blue... Nice color. My next car will be in Blue again.
      11-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz123
I have had the car now for about two weeks and have a couple of additional impressions.

The cockpit layout is better for me than the E46. I never did find a driving position that did not block the tops of the main gauges on the E46. On long trips, I change the seat position from time to time, which is one reason why I ordered powered sports seats, and there are several good positions I can use on the E90. This is a bit of a surprise since the sport steering wheel is smaller in diameter and thicker than the one I had on the E46.

As others have reported, I too find the throttle response a bit odd. In the old days, I might have said that there is not enough mechanical advantage in the throttle linkage but these days it is probably electronically controlled and it is the way that BMW has chosen to program it. There is too much pedal travel required to blip the throttle on downshifts but it's not a big deal; I'll get used to it. The pedal return spring feels a bit light as well.

Attached is a photograph of my Mystic Blue 325i, sports & premium, Canadian configuration (i.e., winter package). The wheels are my winter wheels, 16" Borbet Type E, with Blizzaks.
Do you have close photo of your car with Borbet E? I had E on my old car, and love the look. Now I am thinking to get a set of 17x8 for everyday using.
      11-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #15
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz123
It has been a huge surprise to me that the E90 325i with sports suspension is a lot more comfortable over rough surfaces than my former E46 328i with its sport suspension. The difference is like night and day and was totally unexpected.
So you can imagine how I felt moving from the e46 323 to the e90 325. My sentiments EXACTLY!

Power and torque upgrade is fantastic. And thats moving from a manual 323 to my wonderful step 325!

Congrats and enjoy you car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #16
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho
Do you have close photo of your car with Borbet E? I had E on my old car, and love the look. Now I am thinking to get a set of 17x8 for everyday using.
My rims came from Tirerack via a local tire shop. You should go to Tirerack's excellent website and follow the wheel selection links for your car and model. There is a neat feature that lets you see what the rim will look like on your specific car model plus medium and large blowups of the rim and some very enlightening technical information about Borbet rims and the company. That is what tipped me in favour of Borbet wheels. Their manufacturing and quality control methods should produce a light, strong, high quality wheel and they supply OEM rims for various auto makers, apparently including BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #17
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Been complaining about this for awhile ... I like the way you word it though, "marginally useful". Like the turn signal. Why? The old one worked perfectly and worked just like every other turn signal ever made. Why does it now need to be electronic? Answer: it doesn't.

Angel eyes. Yeah, the kids think they look cool but what purpose do they serve?

"Soft stop" brakes. I couldn't do this myself by letting up on the brake pedal a little before coming to a complete stop?

I'm sure I'll find plenty more to at once my car comes. Why can't they just focus even more on driving dynamics and less on gadgets? German automotive electronics have *never* been known to be reliable.
In my case, I wasn’t complaining, just observing. BMW is successful because it gives its customers what they want. As the saying goes, the customer is always right and these days consumers want gadgets and gimmicks, not just in cars but throughout their daily lives. Under all of this is a fantastic car - I thought the E46 was a great car, and still do, but the E90 feels even better.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #18
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I love your avatar. That´s a very nice picture of the car that built the BMW brand image more than any other.
      11-12-2005, 06:09 AM   #19
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
I love your avatar. That´s a very nice picture of the car that built the BMW brand image more than any other.
The recent delivery of the E90 marks 33 years of continuous ownership of small BMW's from the one in the avatar. It sure is a different car today!
Appreciate 0