forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 07/2020.80

12-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I just went for a drive around the neighborhood to see if the update would start uploading from my iPhone to the X7 but nothing. I'm glad BMW is finally starting to push OTA updates but this is a total failure, for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Its a 1gb+ file so it takes a while to transfer from your phone to the car. If it says upload in process, just drive normally and let it do its thing. It should eventually upload. Then once the file has uploaded to the car, it will still take 15-20 minutes to apply the update. During that period the car is un-driveable.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #25
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Its a 1gb+ file so it takes a while to transfer from your phone to the car. If it says upload in process, just drive normally and let it do its thing. It should eventually upload. Then once the file has uploaded to the car, it will still take 15-20 minutes to apply the update. During that period the car is un-driveable.
Same experience here. Need to have the car running in order for the file to transfer. It took about 15 minutes to transfer the file from my phone, and the transfer progress % was not very linear. It sometimes would take a couple of minutes to jump 1%, but other times it would jump 10% quickly.

BTW, I have also discovered that I had better success connecting to the car's wireless network using the QR code, and also keep my phone awake instead of letting it go to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #26
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
Same experience here. Need to have the car running in order for the file to transfer. It took about 15 minutes to transfer the file from my phone, and the transfer progress % was not very linear. It sometimes would take a couple of minutes to jump 1%, but other times it would jump 10% quickly.

BTW, I have also discovered that I had better success connecting to the car's wireless network using the QR code, and also keep my phone awake instead of letting it go to sleep.
Thank you phantom, your instructions worked. It requires the car to be running in order for the transfer from PDA to iDrive to take place. Now I am updating the iDrive system with this new software version, lets see how that goes.

Last edited by Waise; 12-19-2020 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #27
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

For the record, I was driving around for 20 minutes and the upload progress never moved off of 0%.

BMW is making a mess of these OTA updates. Owners shouldn't have to jump through hoops to install an update.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #28
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
For the record, I was driving around for 20 minutes and the upload progress never moved off of 0%.

BMW is making a mess of these OTA updates. Owners shouldn't have to jump through hoops to install an update.
I agree the process BMW has implemented is not trivial at all. We have a Tesla Model 3 alongside the X7, and performing OTA on Model 3 is a breeze. Everything can be done on the phone and away from the car, doesn't matter where the car is as long as it has internet connection (either WiFi or LTE). Hopefully BMW learns from these experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #29
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
I agree the process BMW has implemented is not trivial at all. We have a Tesla Model 3 alongside the X7, and performing OTA on Model 3 is a breeze. Everything can be done on the phone and away from the car, doesn't matter where the car is as long as it has internet connection (either WiFi or LTE). Hopefully BMW learns from these experience.
While I agree BMW hasn't done a good job with OTA updates, one reason Tesla can do the update anywhere is because it has a huge battery that can power the computer for a long time while it does the update. X7 does not have a huge battery, There's the possibility of the battery running out of charge in the middle of an update and thus corrupting the computer(s). That's why they want the car to be running so the alternator can provide power while the update is being installed.
Appreciate 1
ifr1198.00
      12-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #30
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waise View Post
Thank you phantom, your instructions worked. It requires the car to be running in order for the transfer from PDA to iDrive to take place. Now I am updating the iDrive system with thus new software version, lets see how that goes.

OK iDrive update to version 7/2020.80. completed. I tested Android auto, it took a while and a couple of iDrive and PDA reboot to make it work. Finally everything looks OK.

One thing I see that comes on the dash is this (See picture) when I S/D the car. I had not seen this before, but after a few Sec it goes away. It also came on for few sec when I started the car.

Do any of you see this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #31
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Let us know what your build date is, what version you're upgrading from and to, how long it took and if you ran into any issues.

I just checked mine again, still shows no updates available.
Everything went pretty smooth on mine.

Mine is a December 2019 build and if I recall correctly, previously installed software version was 11/2019.70. Updated it to 07/2020.80. It took about 30 minutes to download on to my phone, another 30 minutes to download from phone to vehicle and finally, another 20 minutes for the install itself.

Android Auto is running now and I also tried the voice-command with the rear sunshades and that is working, too.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

I had that picture showing the doors and tailgate opened but it went away after a few ignition cycles.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #33
paul325740
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 and 7

Quote:
OK iDrive update to version 7/2020.80. completed. I tested Android auto, it took a while and a couple of iDrive and PDA reboot to make it work. Finally everything looks OK.

One thing I see that comes on the dash is this (See picture) when I S/D the car. I had not seen this before, but after a few Sec it goes away. It also came on for few sec when I started the car.

Do any of you see this?
mine does not show like that. but now my remote start on the app is gone. I was be able to start my car to warm up yesterday before the update. It was finished the update this morning. but the remote engine start is now gone! do I missing something.
Is anyone know how to reboot the system?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #34
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul325740 View Post
mine does not show like that. but now my remote start on the app is gone. I was be able to start my car to warm up yesterday before the update. It was finished the update this morning. but the remote engine start is now gone! do I missing something.
Is anyone know how to reboot the system?
Hold down the volume button for 20-30 seconds and it will reboot.

You may have to go into settings and re-enable remote access/start. Some of those settings get reverted back to factory after a software update.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #35
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

While taking the kids to school to pick up supplies today at noon, my idrive prompted me there's a software update available. It started to download and said it would be faster if downloaded to the connect app on phone. I checked my phone it shows no update available. So I rebooted my phone and it still showed no updates available. I uninstalled the bmw connect app, re-installed it and logged back in, then it showed 07/2020.80 available. It downloaded it onto my phone in about two minutes (1.2GB worth). But the phone says to connect to car to start the update. I am connected by both bluetooth and wifi to the car, but for some reason the bmw connected app software update portion doesn't see it as connected, rest of the app shows connected to the car. After I got home I tested it with the wife's iphone and same thing, it downloaded the update to the phone but the iphone refuse to connect to the wifi in the car (Hotspot subscription with ATT has expired, so wifi in the car does not have internet access). Tried for an hour, the iphone will not connect to the car.

So I left the car idling for a few hours thinking it will download and install the update. After two hours of idling it was still at "Preparing update 0%" then I drove it around for 2 hours then it go to "Preparing update 6%" Then I let it sit idle in my driveway for another 4 hours and it made it to 13%. So after 8 hours it only did 13% of "Preparing update"

If it stays at this rate, then it means it'll take over 61 hours for it to get to 100% preparing?

Anyone else see their idrive take so long to update?
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #36
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
While taking the kids to school to pick up supplies today at noon, my idrive prompted me there's a software update available. It started to download and said it would be faster if downloaded to the connect app on phone. I checked my phone it shows no update available. So I rebooted my phone and it still showed no updates available. I uninstalled the bmw connect app, re-installed it and logged back in, then it showed 07/2020.80 available. It downloaded it onto my phone in about two minutes (1.2GB worth). But the phone says to connect to car to start the update. I am connected by both bluetooth and wifi to the car, but for some reason the bmw connected app software update portion doesn't see it as connected, rest of the app shows connected to the car. After I got home I tested it with the wife's iphone and same thing, it downloaded the update to the phone but the iphone refuse to connect to the wifi in the car (Hotspot subscription with ATT has expired, so wifi in the car does not have internet access). Tried for an hour, the iphone will not connect to the car.

So I left the car idling for a few hours thinking it will download and install the update. After two hours of idling it was still at "Preparing update 0%" then I drove it around for 2 hours then it go to "Preparing update 6%" Then I let it sit idle in my driveway for another 4 hours and it made it to 13%. So after 8 hours it only did 13% of "Preparing update"

If it stays at this rate, then it means it'll take over 61 hours for it to get to 100% preparing?

I'm having the same issue but I'm not going to let my car running endlessly in the garage for this update. I hope BMW reads this and realizes that they have a problem.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #37
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It took me a while until I tried few things. Installation is 3 step process
1) Download the updated software; either directly to iDrive which will take a long time I heard. or download to PDA which you have done.
2) If you used PDA to download, the file must be uploaded to iDrive. To upload to iDrive your car must be running/idling. To upload to iDrive, your PDA must be connected to the car Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (you don't need AT&T subscription) Note: if your wife's iPhone uses Apple carplay then Wi-Fi is connected. If you're using Samsung just connect using Bluetooth and select connection of Wi-Fi to your car. ( i had to delete my Samsung from iDrive then reconnect it with WiFi selection checked; I also reboot iDrive by pushing volume button 30 sec and rebooted my Samsung before they attached; you can also test your Samsung using screen mirroring since that also uses Wi-Fi.)
Once you connect, check using PDA transfer option; your connection and update ( you can see the picture i posted.) it will upload but will take few min. before you notice 0% change on iDrive. it took approx. 20 min to upload file to iDrive.
3) Once software is uploaded in iDrive, next you have to turn off the car, push the emergency brake button and next start iDrive update using iDrive menu that's displayed. iDrive will show a checklist to make sure it's ready to take the update (after that don't touch anything; just wait the system will reboot a few times, lights will blink, it will take 25 minutes before everything comes back on).

Next you could see updates loaded including Android auto. Also start the car look around. You will have to reenable your remote start and maybe a few other options.

I suggest rebooting iDrive a couple of times; also download Android auto on your PDA if you don't have it already before everything is reconnected.

you may have to reboot your PDA as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Waise; 12-19-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #38
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

After 29 years of owning nothing but Lexus vehicles, the one word that I would use to describe my BMW X7 is GLITCHY!

I feel like I own a $92,000 vehicle that is still in BETA.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #39
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post
After 29 years of owning nothing but Lexus vehicles, my one word for that I have to describe my BMW X7 is GLITCHY!

feel like I own a vehicle that is still in BETA.
Does Lexus offer OTA now?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #40
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Finally I got it installed. So let my car run in the garage was not enough. I needed to drive around for about 1 hr in order to upload the update from my phone to the car. Then it could install. BMW, time to learn something from Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #41
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
I seriously doubt it. Toyota and Lexus technology is still stuck in the year Y2K.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #42
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
I seriously doubt it. Toyota and Lexus technology is still stuck in the year Y2K.
Glitchless I guess. 😏
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #43
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1) Download the updated software; either directly to iDrive which will take a long time I heard. or download to PDA which you have done.
2) If you used PDA to download, the file must be uploaded to iDrive. To upload to iDrive your car must be running/idling. To upload to iDrive, your PDA must be connected to the car Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (you don't need AT&T subscription) Note: if your wife's iPhone uses Apple carplay then Wi-Fi is connected. If you're using Samsung just connect using Bluetooth and select connection of Wi-Fi to your car. ( i had to delete my Samsung from iDrive then reconnect it with WiFi selection checked; I also reboot iDrive by pushing volume button 30 sec and rebooted my Samsung before they attached; you can also test your Samsung using screen mirroring since that also uses Wi-Fi.)
Once you connect, check using PDA transfer option; your connection and update ( you can see the picture i posted.) it will upload but will take few min. before you notice 0% change on iDrive. it took approx. 20 min to upload file to iDrive.
3) Once software is uploaded in iDrive, next you have to turn off the car, push the emergency brake button and next start iDrive update using iDrive menu that's displayed. iDrive will show a checklist to make sure it's ready to take the update (after that don't touch anything; just wait the system will reboot a few times, lights will blink, it will take 25 minutes before everything comes back on).

Next you could see updates loaded including Android auto. Also start the car look around. You will have to reenable your remote start and maybe a few other options.

I suggest rebooting iDrive a couple of times; also download Android auto on your PDA if you don't have it already before everything is reconnected.

You don't need to be connected via Bluetooth, just WIFI. Mine is downloading now without Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #44
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So I finally got it installed after 10+ hours.
What worked for me was to uninstall the connect app (for the 3rd time), remove (unpair) the phone from idrive. Re-install connected app, re-download the update over 5G, re-pair the phone with the car (both bluetooth and wifi). Then it started to upload via wifi to the car. Took about 20 minutes for it to upload to the car, then I shut off the car and it took another 20 to 30 minutes for it to do all the updates.
It did wipe out all my settings that I changed via bimmercode so I had to re-code.

My wife's iphone would not establish wifi connect, It would connect, then take me to the ATT page to sign up for a plan. If I choose cancel or not sign up, then it would disconnect from wifi. So it would not connect to the wifi hotspot long enough for the update to upload. My Samsung took me to the same ATT site, but if I cancel, it still stayed connected to the wifi hotspot, just showed no internet exclamation mark, but it still eventually uploaded the update.

10 hours to get this thing to update.
Appreciate 0