BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 07/2020.80

12-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #45
Hoosbest
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
So I finally got it installed after 10+ hours.
What worked for me was to uninstall the connect app (for the 3rd time), remove (unpair) the phone from idrive. Re-install connected app, re-download the update over 5G, re-pair the phone with the car (both bluetooth and wifi). Then it started to upload via wifi to the car. Took about 20 minutes for it to upload to the car, then I shut off the car and it took another 20 to 30 minutes for it to do all the updates.
It did wipe out all my settings that I changed via bimmercode so I had to re-code.

My wife's iphone would not establish wifi connect, It would connect, then take me to the ATT page to sign up for a plan. If I choose cancel or not sign up, then it would disconnect from wifi. So it would not connect to the wifi hotspot long enough for the update to upload. My Samsung took me to the same ATT site, but if I cancel, it still stayed connected to the wifi hotspot, just showed no internet exclamation mark, but it still eventually uploaded the update.

10 hours to get this thing to update.
You really need to take your phone, which has the downloaded update on it through BMW Connected App and connect to wifi on your car for the update. Bluetooth only takes too long. To do that, go to the Communications menu, and find the wireless connection and scan the QR Code and connect. Even though my phone showed a wifi signal, it was greyed out. Once I scanned the code, it connected. That solved it for me and the update was quick after that. When the wifi was connected (and bluetooth) - upload took about 20 minutes with car running. Then another 20 or so to install with car off and stationary.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #46
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosbest View Post
Quote:
So I finally got it installed after 10+ hours.
What worked for me was to uninstall the connect app (for the 3rd time), remove (unpair) the phone from idrive. Re-install connected app, re-download the update over 5G, re-pair the phone with the car (both bluetooth and wifi). Then it started to upload via wifi to the car. Took about 20 minutes for it to upload to the car, then I shut off the car and it took another 20 to 30 minutes for it to do all the updates.
It did wipe out all my settings that I changed via bimmercode so I had to re-code.

My wife's iphone would not establish wifi connect, It would connect, then take me to the ATT page to sign up for a plan. If I choose cancel or not sign up, then it would disconnect from wifi. So it would not connect to the wifi hotspot long enough for the update to upload. My Samsung took me to the same ATT site, but if I cancel, it still stayed connected to the wifi hotspot, just showed no internet exclamation mark, but it still eventually uploaded the update.

10 hours to get this thing to update.
You really need to take your phone, which has the downloaded update on it through BMW Connected App and connect to wifi on your car for the update. Bluetooth only takes too long. To do that, go to the Communications menu, and find the wireless connection and scan the QR Code and connect. Even though my phone showed a wifi signal, it was greyed out. Once I scanned the code, it connected. That solved it for me and the update was quick after that. When the wifi was connected (and bluetooth) - upload took about 20 minutes with car running. Then another 20 or so to install with car off and stationary.
I don't understand why most would need to reestablish a WiFi connection when I would think most of us have one established for CarPlay already. The download from my phone to the car is working but very slow. I do not have a Bluetooth connection at all. I'm not sure why Bluetooth and WiFi are recommended since both simultaneously cannot be used for any one action. If anyone has a better understanding please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #47
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
I received the update notification two days back. So I drove to middle school that was very close to our house . Did the update, it took ~2 mins for the update to download on the phone, ~20mins for it to upload to the can and another ~ 20mins to update. All in all, the update ran smoothly.

Name:  CE952C1C-61A0-4710-A2A5-8F956E760F75.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  174.3 KB

Name:  3B427BCA-78D0-4C4D-8DE3-BAA6EA93BA69.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  264.3 KB

Name:  547D847A-5F6E-492F-B6AF-CCE398B6BB15.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  277.8 KB

Name:  B149365C-42BF-4DEB-AF1E-F60ACD147926.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  196.8 KB

After the update I was able to test Apple map in HUD
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #48
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail4loys View Post
I received the update notification two days back. So I drove to middle school that was very close to our house . Did the update, it took ~2 mins for the update to download on the phone, ~20mins for it to upload to the can and another ~ 20mins to update. All in all, the update ran smoothly.

Attachment 2487048

Attachment 2487049

Attachment 2487050

Attachment 2487051

After the update I was able to test Apple map in HUD
Over WiFi, Bluetooth or both?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #49
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Over WiFi, Bluetooth or both?
I didn’t specifically chose anything, I opened connect app once Apple CarPlay was connected so I assume it to be over wifi.. the rest were automatic
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #50
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

After the update I have two issues:

• the car will not remote start by triple pressing the lock button on the fob :/
• the wheels on the display graphic for my X7 no longer match mine
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #51
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabfan View Post

• the car will not remote start by triple pressing the lock button on the fob :/
Our X7 finally updated yesterday and I also see different wheels on the instrument cluster at start up. The paint color is correct. I can still remote start but I have the Display key (MY19 model).

I tested turn-by-turn in the head up display using Apple Maps, nice addition.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #52
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabfan View Post

Some have needed to reenable remote start after an update;
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #53
ChexBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChexBMW View Post
After 29 years of owning nothing but Lexus vehicles, my one word for that I have to describe my BMW X7 is GLITCHY!

feel like I own a vehicle that is still in BETA.
Does Lexus offer OTA now?
Nope. But, based on the frustration of many owners trying to download OTA updates, does BMW? 😏
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #54
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
After 29 years of owning nothing but Lexus vehicles, my one word for that I have to describe my BMW X7 is GLITCHY!

feel like I own a vehicle that is still in BETA.
Does Lexus offer OTA now?
Nope. But, based on the frustration of many owners trying to download OTA updates, does BMW? 😏
I would not define "many owners" by the few on this thread. Nor would I compare Lexus technology (if you want to call it that) to that of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #55
Saabfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Some have needed to reenable remote start after an update;
Ah, that was it. THANK YOU!
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #56
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
My phone has always been connected via wifi to the car. Unfortunately the connected app on the phone doesn't realize it's connected. It kept saying connect the phone to the car for upload. It took 4 or 5 uninstall of the app and unpairing of the phone from idrive before the app recognized it was connected to the car via wifi.

My wife's iphone can never maintain connection to the car via wifi. Anytime we try to connect, it will direct us to the ATT sign up page, if we cancel out of there, it disconnects from wifi. Same with apple car play. It will connect initially, but as soon as we cancel out of the ATT sign up page on the phone, car play disconnects (because wifi disconnects).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #57
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
zero issues here and yeah, it beats the hell out of having to go to the dealership and explain how my rims won't cause my engine to explode as they gleefully start grabbing forms to void warranty items
      12-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #58
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
I agree the process BMW has implemented is not trivial at all. We have a Tesla Model 3 alongside the X7, and performing OTA on Model 3 is a breeze. Everything can be done on the phone and away from the car, doesn't matter where the car is as long as it has internet connection (either WiFi or LTE). Hopefully BMW learns from these experience.
While I agree BMW hasn't done a good job with OTA updates, one reason Tesla can do the update anywhere is because it has a huge battery that can power the computer for a long time while it does the update. X7 does not have a huge battery, There's the possibility of the battery running out of charge in the middle of an update and thus corrupting the computer(s). That's why they want the car to be running so the alternator can provide power while the update is being installed.
Agreed, and Tesla also has one main control unit that they designed and wrote the software for. Updates are simple. G series BMWs have 15+ ECU's to upgrade and they're not all manufactured by BMW. I got my MY19 in July of 2019 with 07/2019. Got 11/2019 and 03/2020 via dealership, and finally got 07/2020 OTA this week. Process was easy and had no issues other than a couple headunit reboots to get the transfer to car to complete.
Appreciate 1
ifr1198.00
      12-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #59
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My phone has always been connected via wifi to the car. Unfortunately the connected app on the phone doesn't realize it's connected. It kept saying connect the phone to the car for upload. It took 4 or 5 uninstall of the app and unpairing of the phone from idrive before the app recognized it was connected to the car via wifi.

My wife's iphone can never maintain connection to the car via wifi. Anytime we try to connect, it will direct us to the ATT sign up page, if we cancel out of there, it disconnects from wifi. Same with apple car play. It will connect initially, but as soon as we cancel out of the ATT sign up page on the phone, car play disconnects (because wifi disconnects).
Mine says its connected to the x7 via WiFi. Also I just found out it is connected via Bluetooth for CarPlay via the app in the background. If I go to the Bluetooth connection on the phone I do not see a connection to the car. However, if I go into settings/general/CarPlay on the phone I see my Bluetooth connection for the car. If I click that I have the option to toggle CarPlay ON/OFF. If I turn it off, CarPlay no longer works. 🤨
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #60
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine says its connected to the x7 via WiFi. Also I just found out it is connected via Bluetooth for CarPlay via the app in the background. If I go to the Bluetooth connection on the phone I do not see a connection to the car. However, if I go into settings/general/CarPlay on the phone I see my Bluetooth connection for the car. If I click that I have the option to toggle CarPlay ON/OFF. If I turn it off, CarPlay no longer works. 🤨
On your phone there is a link to watch a video on how to finish the upload from your phone to iDrive. Watch that video, it explains how to make a Wi-Fi connection even though some have a Wi-Fi connection through CarPlay. Once I created a second WiFi connection, my phone began uploading the update to iDrive. I was in a parking lot at the time with the engine running.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #61
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

I have an early '19 build with all of the active driving / lane keeping assist features. For some reason, BMW didn't activate the road preview in the main instrument cluster for our cars.

Any idea if this software update activated the road preview? Makes no sense why the early 19s didn't get it in the first place!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #62
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
I have an early '19 build with all of the active driving / lane keeping assist features. For some reason, BMW didn't activate the road preview in the main instrument cluster for our cars.

Any idea if this software update activated the road preview? Makes no sense why the early 19s didn't get it in the first place!
It doesn't. You need to code it unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #63
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On your phone there is a link to watch a video on how to finish the upload from your phone to iDrive. Watch that video, it explains how to make a Wi-Fi connection even though some have a Wi-Fi connection through CarPlay. Once I created a second WiFi connection, my phone began uploading the update to iDrive. I was in a parking lot at the time with the engine running.
I tried this and still nothing. It did progress slightly but it's creeping. I guess I will just let it do its thing. Maybe it will complete by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #64
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post

Easy to code
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #65
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I was prompted to download 07/2020.80 moments ago. Has anyone applied 07/2020.80 yet?
have applied it to x5 and x7 no problems
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #66
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I tried this and still nothing. It did progress slightly but it's creeping. I guess I will just let it do its thing. Maybe it will complete by the end of the week.
While out and about this morning I tried creating a Wi-Fi connection again. The download was about 80% complete at the time. Still nothing. I decided to reboot iDrive. Once I did this the download completed within 5mins. I also noticed a prompt on my iPhone to sign up for the AT&T service which I ignored.

I just completed the final phase of the upgrade within the car. Everything went well with the exception that I have to re-code my BimmerCode stuff.

I confirmed Apple Maps now shows within HUD. For you Android users, I now see Android Auto is an option. Also, Remote 3D View now shows my x7 color and MSport model with the correct wheels. That's all I had time to do but I'm good now.

My last update wasn't as painful. :
Appreciate 0