Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
"Emergency call system malfunction"

Anyone else having this issue or knows what is this about or have an idea.

Out of the blue this started showing up and the car would call the BMW emergency assistance

Tried the iDrive reset few times and didn't work.
Taking it in tomorrow and hoping it's just a software thing.

Any info is highly appreciated
Attached Images

02-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
cwiginton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

I had this same issue on my X5 and it was an issue with the shark fin antenna. I was told by my dealer that the gasket around the antenna has a tendency to fail allowing water to leak in and cause the electronics to crap out. I had it all replaced under warranty. Worst thing about it was the amount of time that it had to be in the shop because it apparently takes a while for the sealant to cure when the install the new gasket and antenna.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      02-14-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiginton View Post
I had this same issue on my X5 and it was an issue with the shark fin antenna. I was told by my dealer that the gasket around the antenna has a tendency to fail allowing water to leak in and cause the electronics to crap out. I had it all replaced under warranty. Worst thing about it was the amount of time that it had to be in the shop because it apparently takes a while for the sealant to cure when the install the new gasket and antenna.
That makes complete sense. My navigation and radio stopped working and have no internet connection at the moment
      02-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
cwiginton
Private
Rep

My radio never stopped working but the GPS was quite funny for my kids to watch. According to the GPS, we drove through fields, rivers and over mountains and rarely were we on an actual road.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #5
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
My radio never stopped working but the GPS was quite funny for my kids to watch. According to the GPS, we drove through fields, rivers and over mountains and rarely were we on an actual road.
I'm hoping it's not my case and my dealer is right and it's the backup battery for the sos
      02-14-2022, 04:27 PM   #6
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Hopefully so
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:49 AM   #7
k23435
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
+1

Same issue with my X7, yet with different explanation:

I was told it is a known manufacturing error on certain X7s (mine was manufactured 08/2019). Apparently the glue that holds the shark fin to the roof had not been applied properly, and thus creating a gap for water to penetrate.

I was not terribly happy that it was not fixed proactively, especially as my car was for scheduled maintenance just before the problems started to occur. Altogether, it took 3 visits and about 1 month to fix it.

It was covered under warranty.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      02-15-2022, 04:48 AM   #8
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23435 View Post
Quote:
+1

I was told it is a known manufacturing error on certain X7s (mine was manufactured 08/2019). Apparently the glue that holds the shark fin to the roof had not been applied properly, and thus creating a gap for water to penetrate.

I was not terribly happy that it was not fixed proactively, especially as my car was for scheduled maintenance just before the problems started to occur. Altogether, it took 3 visits and about 1 month to fix it.

Had this on my F90 M5 a couple months ago and it was the battery. Took about 45 minutes to fix (under warranty). It's going to be either that or the water getting inside as others have mentioned above….I believe that's $1k-2k fix without warranty.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      02-15-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Noooooo
1 month
That's outrageous I really hope my case is different 🤞🏼
      02-15-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Had this on my F90 M5 a couple months ago and it was the battery. Took about 45 minutes to fix (under warranty). It's going to be either that or the water getting inside as others have mentioned above….I believe that's $1k-2k fix without warranty.
Thanks
That actually gives me hope.
Thought my better judgment is telling me otherwise since I have no internet connection at all except for Sirius Radio
      02-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #11
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Which battery was that ?

They've already replaced the shark fin.

Now my remote start and all other functions from the app doesn't work.

The fob does the remote start and everything.
And I'm between the bmw genius and the dealer front and back on hardware software.

Anyone else had this development or any intel that can helps resolve this would be highly appreciated
      02-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Which battery was that ?

And I'm between the bmw genius and the dealer front and back on hardware software.

Anyone else had this development or any intel that can helps resolve this would be highly appreciated
Replaced the sharkfin, or the sharkfin + TCU? Here's a thread from the G05 forum that would probably be useful:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598030

But hey, at least it's not calling the police on you: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836275

Seems like mlvenan is having the same issue right now too: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1901292
Heimdall136.50
      02-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #13
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Which battery was that ?

Replaced the sharkfin, or the sharkfin + TCU? Here's a thread from the G05 forum that would probably be useful:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598030

But hey, at least it's not calling the police on you: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836275

Seems like mlvenan is having the same issue right now too: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1901292
It was calling bmw assist Every time I get in the vehicle before and lasted a week 🤣
      02-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #14
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Which battery was that ?

Don't forget to go back into the settings in idrive and reactivate allow remote starting or climatization or whatever they call it. I can't remember where it is, but I had to recheck mine after they fixed the communication box below the sharkfin on my 2019.
Appreciate 2
Heimdall136.50
      03-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #15
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Issues resolved

The issue was resolved by manually pushing the new TCU # and the ICCID (eSim) to bmw backend (dealers cockpit) systems as it wasn't updating those new ones. To the system but was doing so on the vehicle. It requires a manual session with a master foreman and bmw
      03-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #16
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
The issue was resolved by manually pushing the new TCU # and the ICCID (eSim) to bmw backend (dealers cockpit) systems as it wasn't updating those new ones. To the system but was doing so on the vehicle. It requires a manual session with a master foreman and bmw
Glad they were able to get it fixed.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50