BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum $875 increased on insurance policy😳

09-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #23
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Buying insurance is not just buying coverage, but also service. I have been with Chubb now for many years. I am almost surely paying more than I would to Geico or Allstate (though I get multi car discounts and also discounts because our homeowners policy is with Chubb). We'd have some claims and my experience is that there was no pushback at all on how much to pay and no pressure at all to use anything but my shop of choice. We also had a homeowners claim after Hurricane Sandy in 2012 because we lost everything in our refrigerator and freezer; power was out for 13 days. I had evacuated from the house, then came back a few days later to empty the refrigerator and freezer. After the storm, my agent recommended we put in a claim for what we lost. I then spoke with a Chubb agent on the phone, who asked me to detail the cost of replacing all that food. I told her I couldn't as I simply emptied everything (in the dark) and didn't even know what was there. She said, "what is your estimate of what was there?" I gave her a number (I think it was $600) and two days later we had a check. I do not believe that would have happened with most other companies, and if I am paying more for my Chubb insurance, I am getting first class service.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie123 View Post
I just switched out my 2020 Volve XC90 inscription, to my new 40i, and it increased my 6 month premium by an additional $875 ( $1700 a year more) why? I expected maybe couple hundred, but $875? It's this typical?
I'd shop around for sure, but I'd also verify that your agent is quoting identical coverages. For comparison, I'm dropping nearly the same car '22 XC90 Inscription to add a 40i in Wash, DC suburbs (a driving Armageddon). My increase with exact same deductibles and coverages will be about $127/12% more for a 6 mo. policy w/USAA, but the covered vehicle is 30% (42% with options) more expensive than the car I'm dropping. Assuming no big changes in your credit score, driving record, etc… It might be that in your area BMW X7s (or BMWs in general) are more apt to be stolen. Your insurance company should be able to provide a better explanation as to which factor(s) are driving the premium increase. Hope this helps.
I second what you said. Insurance fluctuates every six months; you lose discounts and can gain discounts. There are variables such as age, claims (both weather and non-weather), your driving record, and those that are on your policy location woods, city, kids, and so many things. Shop around and ask about all discounts and when they could fall off. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #25
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Well bottom line, there are more variables to car insurance than Filipino hookers.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #26
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Well bottom line, there are more variables to car insurance than Filipino hookers.
In the Philippines, or in Kansas City? And do you prefer the ladies or the lady boys?
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #27
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
In the Philippines, or in Kansas City? And do you prefer the ladies or the lady boys?
Well as a frequent traveler and retired military, I'm talking all over the world. Thought about visiting one (lady...I think ) while deployed to Bahrain back in the late 90s but just couldn't bring myself to it. Guam, South Korea, Europe, Central America even, pretty much everywhere. Never seen any in Afghanistan though...
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #28
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I must be the only one that saw a decrease!

Saved over $900 per year going from a 2019 750i to a 2022 Alpina XB7! Imagine that!

For reference I use Travelers and have the best agent in the biz who is constantly shopping around for the best deal. I've been with him for over 20 years. If any of you are local to Chicago I'd be happy to share his info.
      09-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #29
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
At the risk of going down a rabbit hole, and with all due respect to your profession, I long have been a fan of agent based insurance carriers for the reasons you state. However, I'm changing tunes for a few reasons. To clarify, in 25+ years, I've had only State Farm and Allstate, switching one time about 10 years ago due to price and some issues. I'm going to particularly pick on your statement about agents when things go bad (shaken to the core, your house just burned down). Here are some examples:

1. I was a State Farm customer for 15+ years, never had an at fault claim or home claim. I had in my entire 15+ year one hail claim that resulted in $1,000 in PDR. I also had a string of bad luck 6 years later where I had three windshield repairs done ($50 a pop at the car wash, just tiny fill ins) over two cars in three years. I had annual reviews of my policy with my agent, but it always felt she was trying to sell me other products, namely life insurance. Working for large companies at the time, I had more than enough coverage and State Farm wasn't even close to competitive. Every time we met and I pushed about ever increasing rates, she assured me she as there for me, and that if something bad were to happen, she would go to bat for me and my family. She used fear-based selling to thwart me away from every quote I compared with here. "Travelers will leave you stranded when your house burns down and your family is at their darkest moments, but I'll be this angelic savior who will go to great lengths to ensure your family is in the best hands.." (That was a bit hyperbole ridden, but that was the gist, and similar to your gist).

What caused me to move to All State was that prices kept increasing, but ultimately what caused me to shop around that final time was that I received a postal mail from State Farm saying they reviewed my claim history and saw I had three claims in two years and that I was at risk of seeing rates climb due to extremely high claims for my demographic. I was blown away by the directness and tone of the letter. It made me feel like I was a bad customer, a bad human and that I didn't deserve State Farm. I immediately called my agent and was like, "WTF is this? $150 in claims after spending probably close to 6 figures in premiums". She said she had no idea about it and "... corporate just does their own things and decides to do their own thing." I immediately pushed back and called her out on all this, "I thought you had my back, you'd be my first line of defense and advocation..." I went on to add, "If State Farm really cares about their agent business, State Farm should've contacted you (agent) and we should've had this conversation and not got this heavy handed letter." She apologized and said she would talk to State Farm and get more info.

I immediately shopped around and found an Allstate agent I liked and he had far better pricing/coverage. I immediately switched. The conversation with my 15+ year agent was terse and came down to that letter and my lack of trust that if anything were to happen there'd be any value in the agent. It's like buying a brand new BMW, having it break and thinking your sales person who sold you the car a year ago is going to provide any legal assistance or help outside of giving phone numbers and playing middle-man.

2. In Feb 2021, Austin, TX (and TX in general) dealt with a severe ice storm, a crippling week long affair. The power grid failed and many were forced to leave their homes to survive (homes went to below freezing temperatures with no ways to warm them). My neighbor and friend had to leave their house (as did we). Fortunately, I closed my water line and flushed, but my neighbor did not. He came back to a flooded house due to his hot water heater bursting in the attic and leaking everywhere. All walls, all hardwood, baseboards, cabinets were ruined. He filed a claim with State Farm as they couldn't live in the home (a very nice multi-7 figure home that had just been remodeled in 2020). State Farm adjusters came out and said they'd replace some hardwood, only the bottom part of the drywall and refinish some cabinets, they came with $40,000 as their estimate. My neighbor got a private estimate which came to over $250,000. His State Farm agent went MIA and only said he had no authority in what the appraiser offers as that's "his profession", etc. My neighbor hired an attorney, via legal intervention he got his money and it took 6 months to repair the home. He's since left the carrier.

3. I'm now shopping All State because I've found considerably better coverage (Open Perils vs Named, 30% higher replacement value, more liability on cars, higher water damage limits, etc.). I'm looking to save over 20% of my total cost with superior coverage and terms moving from Allstate to Encompass (ironically an Allstate company). Ironically, I'm working with someone who was an Allstate agent for 20 years and sold his practice to focus on individual consultation. He found many issues with my current coverage with Allstate that should've been caught by my current agent, including but not limited to:

- My golf cart liability rates aren't high enough to meet my Umbrella requirements ($1 premium increase fixes that). Knowing that I didn't have effective personal injury/bodily harm coverage on the cart that I thought I did really irked me.

- My personal umbrella has been charging me $60 / year surcharge for a renter's policy I haven't had in 5 years ago, the policy references an All State home owner's policy that I canceled with All State 5 years ago when I sold that rental home. My agent failed to remove the surcharge from my Umbrella policy, so I'm now $250 in the hole. I will credit my agent as he is assisting with the refund process but it's been taking MONTHS.

I have a yearly policy review, and like State Farm, that review immediately switches to selling me Life Insurance products that aren't competitive. How was this Umbrella & Golf Cart thing missed for 5 years?

4. I had a claim in 2017 on my wife's Volvo when a shopping cart hit and run our rear bumper. I opted to open a claim, but Allstate pushed back on the vendor I chose and wanted to use their's stating I didn't need a new rear bumper cover and it could be repaired with bondo and paint. My shop said it would never be perfectly repaired and declined to repair the car without a new bumper cover. I had to fight with the adjuster, I had to go down to the body shop twice to take pictures using the All State app. While my agent was friendly and wanted to help, he had no weight in this, and I shouldered the burden of advocating for myself and going back and forth to fight my case. Ultimately, after many pictures, All State agreed and paid for the bumper shell which was only like $400. The total claim was like $1,000.

So, while it is nice to email/call an agent who can run things like refunds and cancellations down. Additionally, when I get a new car and/or sell one, my agents have made that so easy, one email with VINs and dates, and that's it. Outside that, I question their value in really finding you the best options as they're limited to only what they can sell, and I really question if they have any weight when your house burns down and you're "shaken". As a result, I've found a knowledgeable broker that explains every line with me, and while I know he can't do much but advise during a claim, I really never got much from my agents. So I think I'm going to roll the dice, get better "legal coverage" and save some bucks.
I appreciate the thought you put into this. You're very atypical and I like that a lot. Most people don't care to take the time to review their policies to ensure they're correct or even understand how they work. Everything you said is very valid and you make some great points. I'd like to expand/reply to them:

1) Life insurance is a big profit maker for insurance companies. I work for a mutual insurance company (like State Farm) so we don't operate for a profit in the same way a stock insurer does (like AllState). There's a lot of pressure to sell life insurance unfortunately. It helps to offset large loss events and helps to keep premiums for your home and auto more reasonable than they may otherwise be. A lot of people also need life insurance. I do think most people should have some sort of life policy that they own and anything they carry through work should be a cherry on top. Most employer policies don't follow you; should you leave, retire, be fired, etc., you may find yourself without coverage. As you get older, it's harder to qualify for and depending on health, you may not qualify at all. I do try to ask my own clients about it but give no pushback whatsoever. If someone doesn't want it, fine. If someone has enough coverage, awesome. I routinely review policies my insureds have through other companies and am happy to do so. I gain nothing from that other than a little goodwill. When I say that I care much more about people having what they need more so than me gaining something, I mean that. I'm a zero pressure kind of guy and am also blessed to not have sales quotas at work.

Very rarely do I make it habit of tearing down competitors. My usual exception being the call center insurance companies. I don't like them because most people don't put the thought into it that you clearly do. There's a different dynamic that comes along with selling a policy over the phone versus having a relationship locally. I think everyone should have a local agent or a local broker with a presence in the community that you can see face-to-face. Besides, there's a lot of time that goes into accurately calculating appropriate amounts of coverage, particularly for property policies. This just doesn't happen with the Geicos and Progressives of the world because there's only so much a computer can do with square footage and composition style. Nothing replaces a good old fashioned human being visiting a property and making sure things are as they need to be.

I'm no angel but I'm loud and mostly type A and was raised to place a very high value on doing the right thing. I don't agree with the stupid things my own company does sometimes and will go off on anyone I need to whenever the situation warrants. Don't ever think that a captive agent has little power. There are some things I can't control but you better damn well bet I know people who can. I know underwriters and claims adjusters and attorneys and know all of their bosses and call in favors all the time. I also very routinely have off-the-record conversations with all the aforementioned folks about my personal thoughts and interactions with the insureds. Are we allowed to play favorites? Of course not. But don't kid yourself, it happens. I will move heaven and earth for the insureds that are kind and understanding and deserving. But when someone is an ass, is disrespectful, etc., I have fun getting them canceled LOL.

2) This is a bunch of absolute bullsh*t, I'm so sorry for your neighbor. Sometimes adjusters just really suck. I'm dealing with 3 different claims right now where our own adjusters have made royal asses of us all. I go over heads to get things rectified and am very hands-on during the claims process from start to finish. I stay abreast of current market, labor, material, and construction costs, and know my policies inside and out. The second I see the slightest sign of something going awry, I'm on it immediately. I made an adjuster cry on Tuesday. An actual human being cried when I told them to get their sh*t together and do their job. It took a lot to not laugh. It's an unfortunate aspect of human nature that people tend to write reviews, leave feedback when something goes wrong. The overwhelming majority of claims go off without a hitch, you just don't hear about it. Still doesn't make it any less frustrating for someone when a claim goes south, I get it.

3) I love all of this. I'm sad to hear you had the run around but man, I'd love it if more people took the time to understand things like open-perils versus named and knew how their policies cover water events. These examples of yours (not having high enough underlying limits to satisfy an umbrella, being charged for something you don't even have anymore) are such bad rookie mistakes. It's embarrassing.

4) This is a bunch of crap. Your policy pays to restore your property back to its pre-loss condition. You should NOT have had to fight for or do any of the running around for this. Hard stop. Not being perfectly repaired is 100% unacceptable. And to anyone reading this, don't ever let an insurance company tell you where you have to go for repairs; you make this decision, not them.

Man, you've really had some foul experiences. I'm really sorry. Not that you need any affirmation from a stranger on the internet but you're going to get it anyway: you're 100% justified in feeling how you do. I don't mean for any of this to come across as some corny résumé for myself because I'm not perfect. But like I said, I was raised to make an active effort to do the right thing and to do right by people. I try to surround myself with others who have similar values both personally and professionally. But this whole "sorry, I don't have any control over that" mentality that you've been on the receiving end of is just so foreign and unacceptable to me. I also don't use words like "shaken" as hyperbole. Having a large scale loss, it isn't easy to put what you feel in that moment into words.

I do think everyone should actively make an effort to talk to your agent, your broker, or someone who knows what they're talking about and understand what you have and what you stand to lose. If you don't get good vibes from them then find someone else. You also have to be realistic. Insurance policies aren't all encompassing; they don't cover every situation and sometimes you're still going to be out some money. Insurance also doesn't cover a very important aspect: your time. I don't like seeing people have losses not only because of financial implications but it's time of your life, days, weeks, sometimes months, that you'll never get back. And being blunt (and I don't mean this directed at you, U235, but just to people in general), you aren't owed anything beyond what your policy says and you aren't going to get special treatment or an exception made because you've been with the company for xx years (unless you're mine - we've already established I love playing favorites ). My own personal opinion? I think this should count for something but in the eyes of our States' Commissioners of Insurance, we're discriminating if we treat an insured of 30+ years differently than one who just signed up (*flips to the bird to our politicians and their PC BS*).

If this was a rabbit hole we just went down, I enjoyed it. And no offense taken, no worries in the slightest.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71061.50
      09-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #30
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
I appreciate the thought you put into this. You're very atypical and I like that a lot. Most people don't care to take the time to review their policies to ensure they're correct or even understand how they work. Everything you said is very valid and you make some great points. I'd like to expand/reply to them:

1) Life insurance is a big profit maker for insurance companies. I work for a mutual insurance company (like State Farm) so we don't operate for a profit in the same way a stock insurer does (like AllState). There's a lot of pressure to sell life insurance unfortunately. It helps to offset large loss events and helps to keep premiums for your home and auto more reasonable than they may otherwise be. A lot of people also need life insurance. I do think most people should have some sort of life policy that they own and anything they carry through work should be a cherry on top. Most employer policies don't follow you; should you leave, retire, be fired, etc., you may find yourself without coverage. As you get older, it's harder to qualify for and depending on health, you may not qualify at all. I do try to ask my own clients about it but give no pushback whatsoever. If someone doesn't want it, fine. If someone has enough coverage, awesome. I routinely review policies my insureds have through other companies and am happy to do so. I gain nothing from that other than a little goodwill. When I say that I care much more about people having what they need more so than me gaining something, I mean that. I'm a zero pressure kind of guy and am also blessed to not have sales quotas at work.

Very rarely do I make it habit of tearing down competitors. My usual exception being the call center insurance companies. I don't like them because most people don't put the thought into it that you clearly do. There's a different dynamic that comes along with selling a policy over the phone versus having a relationship locally. I think everyone should have a local agent or a local broker with a presence in the community that you can see face-to-face. Besides, there's a lot of time that goes into accurately calculating appropriate amounts of coverage, particularly for property policies. This just doesn't happen with the Geicos and Progressives of the world because there's only so much a computer can do with square footage and composition style. Nothing replaces a good old fashioned human being visiting a property and making sure things are as they need to be.

I'm no angel but I'm loud and mostly type A and was raised to place a very high value on doing the right thing. I don't agree with the stupid things my own company does sometimes and will go off on anyone I need to whenever the situation warrants. Don't ever think that a captive agent has little power. There are some things I can't control but you better damn well bet I know people who can. I know underwriters and claims adjusters and attorneys and know all of their bosses and call in favors all the time. I also very routinely have off-the-record conversations with all the aforementioned folks about my personal thoughts and interactions with the insureds. Are we allowed to play favorites? Of course not. But don't kid yourself, it happens. I will move heaven and earth for the insureds that are kind and understanding and deserving. But when someone is an ass, is disrespectful, etc., I have fun getting them canceled LOL.

2) This is a bunch of absolute bullsh*t, I'm so sorry for your neighbor. Sometimes adjusters just really suck. I'm dealing with 3 different claims right now where our own adjusters have made royal asses of us all. I go over heads to get things rectified and am very hands-on during the claims process from start to finish. I stay abreast of current market, labor, material, and construction costs, and know my policies inside and out. The second I see the slightest sign of something going awry, I'm on it immediately. I made an adjuster cry on Tuesday. An actual human being cried when I told them to get their sh*t together and do their job. It took a lot to not laugh. It's an unfortunate aspect of human nature that people tend to write reviews, leave feedback when something goes wrong. The overwhelming majority of claims go off without a hitch, you just don't hear about it. Still doesn't make it any less frustrating for someone when a claim goes south, I get it.

3) I love all of this. I'm sad to hear you had the run around but man, I'd love it if more people took the time to understand things like open-perils versus named and knew how their policies cover water events. These examples of yours (not having high enough underlying limits to satisfy an umbrella, being charged for something you don't even have anymore) are such bad rookie mistakes. It's embarrassing.

4) This is a bunch of crap. Your policy pays to restore your property back to its pre-loss condition. You should NOT have had to fight for or do any of the running around for this. Hard stop. Not being perfectly repaired is 100% unacceptable. And to anyone reading this, don't ever let an insurance company tell you where you have to go for repairs; you make this decision, not them.

Man, you've really had some foul experiences. I'm really sorry. Not that you need any affirmation from a stranger on the internet but you're going to get it anyway: you're 100% justified in feeling how you do. I don't mean for any of this to come across as some corny résumé for myself because I'm not perfect. But like I said, I was raised to make an active effort to do the right thing and to do right by people. I try to surround myself with others who have similar values both personally and professionally. But this whole "sorry, I don't have any control over that" mentality that you've been on the receiving end of is just so foreign and unacceptable to me. I also don't use words like "shaken" as hyperbole. Having a large scale loss, it isn't easy to put what you feel in that moment into words.

I do think everyone should actively make an effort to talk to your agent, your broker, or someone who knows what they're talking about and understand what you have and what you stand to lose. If you don't get good vibes from them then find someone else. You also have to be realistic. Insurance policies aren't all encompassing; they don't cover every situation and sometimes you're still going to be out some money. Insurance also doesn't cover a very important aspect: your time. I don't like seeing people have losses not only because of financial implications but it's time of your life, days, weeks, sometimes months, that you'll never get back. And being blunt (and I don't mean this directed at you, U235, but just to people in general), you aren't owed anything beyond what your policy says and you aren't going to get special treatment or an exception made because you've been with the company for xx years (unless you're mine - we've already established I love playing favorites ). My own personal opinion? I think this should count for something but in the eyes of our States' Commissioners of Insurance, we're discriminating if we treat an insured of 30+ years differently than one who just signed up (*flips to the bird to our politicians and their PC BS*).

If this was a rabbit hole we just went down, I enjoyed it. And no offense taken, no worries in the slightest.
Right back at you. I appreciate how you weren't defensive and actually gave me insight to things. I appreciate how you approach your job and advocate. I also understand the power of people and their will-power to do the right thing and assist when warranted, regrettably, not everyone shares that vigor. Sales people can talk big game upfront, but it takes big events to see how it really plays out. Fortunately, I've never had a claim much over $1,000, so my baseline isn't really there, but my neighbor/friend's story was frustrating to witness/hear about.

I'm happy with the broker I found who is very local to me and also has a pulse on risks, costs and market specific activity in my crazy market (Austin).

Regardless, I appreciated the rabbit hole and share admirable respect for your responses. Thanks for taking the time to address that long-winded post!

2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #31
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
I just switched out my 2020 Volve XC90 inscription, to my new 40i, and it increased my 6 month premium by an additional $875 ( $1700 a year more) why? I expected maybe couple hundred, but $875? It's this typical?
Gracie123 i would just call around for new quotes. we have found that we need to switch auto insurance every 3-5 years to keep our rates competitive. we are currently using AmFam Connect through Costco and have had a few glass claims, but that's it.

as another data point for you, we traded in a 9 year old 2013 mercedes GL550 for the 2022 X7 and the increase for 6 month premium was only $67.00 (so about $11/mo increase). we did not change any other parameters on the policy.
      09-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #32
Gracie123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i28 Z4

Quote:
I'm an insurance agent and can opine on this for you. I see you're in Florida which is an insurance hot mess (both literally and figuratively LOL). I don't know what base rates look like in Florida but have a few thoughts.

It does strike me as a bit odd that it would go up that much but Florida tends to be an expensive state for insurance. There's a lot that goes into rate making but for starters, it's a higher MSRP vehicle. Your insurance company will look at the base MSRP of a 2020 XC90 Inscription. As it ages, there's a depreciation factor their actuaries apply to your vehicle. $58,000 will become $48k, $36k, etc. in their system as your vehicle ages. Replacing that with a new vehicle with a base MSRP of near $80k may be a jump in value of almost $50k to your insurance company. I'm used to Wisconsin and Illinois rates but that could amount to $100 - $200+ around here (for 6 months) which is significant. If your renewal declarations page itemizes the costs for each line of coverage, I highly suspect your 6 month cost for comprehensive (sometimes called other than collision depending on the company) and collision coverage went up quite bit and this would tell me it's MSRP-related.

It might not be a bad idea to ask your agent if your VIN was fully decodable in their system. They probably run their VINs through NHTSA or your state's system and being that it's a refreshed model with a brand new model year, sometimes things like basic safety features don't automatically populate. I just got my VIN yesterday and when I ran rates on it, I had to manually check boxes saying it had daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, and front/side airbags; normally basic things like these are tied to a VIN but early on in a "new" model's production cycle these things don't always automatically populate.

A few other things/questions that come to mind:

Are your annual mileage and driving habits current? If you don't drive much, make sure they know. Likewise, if you work remote, are retired, a stay-at-home parent, etc., make sure you're pleasure rated as such.

Did all of your discounts convey appropriately?

Was your credit re-run by your insurance company as a part of the transaction?

Were all of the levels of coverage, deductibles, and options kept the same? Things like gap insurance, new car replacement, OEM parts endorsements, were any of these added? (Do you need any of these or rental reimbursement coverage?)

If there are multiple drivers in your household, was the same person rated on the XC90 and then X7? Was someone's motor vehicle report re-run as a part of the transaction and a recent accident, speeding ticket, moving violation, etc. added?

If you had anything like paperless, autopay, or driving monitoring discounts before, were these brought over?

You're also now being lumped into a pool of BMW drivers and their loss histories versus Volvo. BMW drivers cause more losses in literally any situation when we're being compared to the typical Volvo driver (LOL). It could be that their risk appetite for this type of BMW in your area is lower and it costs you more with them. But your agent should be able to give you an answer. If they can't you need to get a new agent. Or a new insurance company.

Let us know what you find out!
Our old insurance was Florida, and our new residence (for the past 4 years) is in TN. I had them reconfirm everything, and they say it is correct. I am able to look and all the discounts have been applied. They say that our son's age (20) and the cost of the vehicle is the reason. We do have high limits on liabilities, but I'm pricing things with the same high limits Farmers (our current) is $2,234.00, State Farm $2805, Geico $1664.00, and Progressive $1336... huge difference!
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      09-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #33
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Our old insurance was Florida, and our new residence (for the past 4 years) is in TN. I had them reconfirm everything, and they say it is correct. I am able to look and all the discounts have been applied. They say that our son's age (20) and the cost of the vehicle is the reason. We do have high limits on liabilities, but I'm pricing things with the same high limits Farmers (our current) is $2,234.00, State Farm $2805, Geico $1664.00, and Progressive $1336... huge difference!
WOW....huge difference!! I had Geico for 18 years. The last time I forgot to go online to renew the policy. It was 1 day late. They raised my premium by $300 for 6 months. They almost doubled it. They told me that they had to create a new policy and they had to go with their current rate!! They didn't care about "loyalty". I cancelled my policy...now I'm with Esurance...their rate was way better than Geico (it's owned by Allstate). But I might try to get quotes from Progressive...etc..when I get my new car.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #34
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
WOW....huge difference!! I had Geico for 18 years. The last time I forgot to go online to renew the policy. It was 1 day late. They raised my premium by $300 for 6 months. They almost doubled it. They told me that they had to create a new policy and they had to go with their current rate!! They didn't care about "loyalty". I cancelled my policy...now I'm with Esurance...their rate was way better than Geico (it's owned by Allstate). But I might try to get quotes from Progressive...etc..when I get my new car.
Just be careful with Progressive. They do play the game where your initial quote for the first 6 months will be cheap but then they will increase it quite a bit afterwards. Tons of reports on this online. They basically offer a big discount to sign on but in the end, they'll raise their rates.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #35
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
Just be careful with Progressive. They do play the game where your initial quote for the first 6 months will be cheap but then they will increase it quite a bit afterwards. Tons of reports on this online. They basically offer a big discount to sign on but in the end, they'll raise their rates.
Thanks...that's good to know!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #36
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
I figured it was something like that. But wow you're right that's a huge difference with Progressive. Just be careful with them and the way they quote as they don't pre-underwrite their policies; they don't run loss reports and motor vehicle reports until you're ready to move forward with a policy with them. If you or any of your drivers have had any auto claims within the past 5 years, particularly if they're at-fault, moving violations, etc. your final price could come back different. In the event a certain report is not able to be run which does happen sometimes, many states allow insurers up to 30 days to remove discounts or add surcharges after the policy is issued. If you know there's a speeding ticket, for example, I'd ask them to make sure they know so there are no surprises.

Do you have your home policy with Farmers? If you do, find out how much your property policy would go up if you take your auto insurance elsewhere. You're probably saving in the ballpark of 20-25% which could affect your decision. If you have an umbrella policy with them (you really should consider one if you don't) I can guarantee you're required to have your auto insurance with them in order for the umbrella to cover you behind the wheel.

Does your son have another vehicle in the household that he regularly drives? They should really be rating the bulk of the increased risk he brings there instead of on your vehicle. Unless he's gotten into an accident recently or has a recent speeding ticket, his impact should be mostly negligible assuming he was on the policy at the same time the XC90 was and before the X7.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #37
Gracie123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i28 Z4

Quote:
I figured it was something like that. But wow you're right that's a huge difference with Progressive. Just be careful with them and the way they quote as they don't pre-underwrite their policies; they don't run loss reports and motor vehicle reports until you're ready to move forward with a policy with them. If you or any of your drivers have had any auto claims within the past 5 years, particularly if they're at-fault, moving violations, etc. your final price could come back different. In the event a certain report is not able to be run which does happen sometimes, many states allow insurers up to 30 days to remove discounts or add surcharges after the policy is issued. If you know there's a speeding ticket, for example, I'd ask them to make sure they know so there are no surprises.

Do you have your home policy with Farmers? If you do, find out how much your property policy would go up if you take your auto insurance elsewhere. You're probably saving in the ballpark of 20-25% which could affect your decision. If you have an umbrella policy with them (you really should consider one if you don't) I can guarantee you're required to have your auto insurance with them in order for the umbrella to cover you behind the wheel.

Does your son have another vehicle in the household that he regularly drives? They should really be rating the bulk of the increased risk he brings there instead of on your vehicle. Unless he's gotten into an accident recently or has a recent speeding ticket, his impact should be mostly negligible assuming he was on the policy at the same time the XC90 was and before the X7.
You're 100% right about progressive! As soon as I hit the buy button, entered our drivers license -BOOM! The rates increased drastically! Reasons... Claims on our insurance, even though we were not at fault! 1) deer ran in front of car, 2) school bus backed into my husband's truck, and previously another driver ran ended him, and totalled his truck (frame was bent) and lastly, my husband had a speeding ticket. Not only did Progressive's rates go up, they completing denied us due to too many insurance claims... We decided to n stay with Farmers for now. We do like having a local agent. Re: our 20 yr old, I think we should have him off our policy and get his own... For liability trains. So far he's been very responsible driving ( we track on life 360).
Appreciate 0