BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum (Potential) New Alpina Owner, advice needed

02-15-2024, 02:19 PM   #1
Lakelife
Rep
Drives: M50i & M550

(Potential) New Alpina Owner, advice needed

Hi all, I’m looking at used Alpina XB7s and was wondering if there’s any general advice on owning an Alpina regarding maintenance and care that I should know. I searched through some threads and couldn’t quite find anything.

I’ve owned a 2021 X5 M50 for 3 years now, which I absolutely loved and will be a little sad to see go. But we want more space for kids.

The Alpina seems super bad ass and you can get a reasonable discount compared to MSRP on used models, especially 2022 and older. Do they start to have problems after a certain mileage? Anything that I need to look out for when buying and anything I need to make sure I stay on top of with maintenance/care other than the super obvious/standard stuff?

Despite really liking cars, I’m not very knowledgeable about anything on the technical side really, so any help or general advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 12:49 AM   #2
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

I don't have an Alpina, but I imagine you will run into a lot of the same issues with other limited production cars, namely, parts cost and availability. While there are some parts shared with the regular X7, there are actually a LOT of Alpina specific parts. Not only that but while there are quite a few owners here on the forums, there are definitely less owners overall and if you have weird issues, you'll likely be the guinea pig as to how to tackle them. That said, they seem to be great cars and I wouldn't hesitate to own one myself - we just liked the look of the regular X7 over the XB7 in our situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:34 AM   #3
Lakelife
Rep
Drives: M50i & M550

Thanks for the response!

Am currently looking at a 2022 XB7 with ~ 15k miles and they're asking about 100k. I thought that seemed like a reasonable discount from the 150k original MSRP.

Any known issues to watch out for with the 22s? I own a 2023 iX and actually prefer the old iDrive compared to the new one in the 2023, but idk if that tech will become dated and/or unsupported very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:43 AM   #4
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
Thanks for the response!

Am currently looking at a 2022 XB7 with ~ 15k miles and they're asking about 100k. I thought that seemed like a reasonable discount from the 150k original MSRP.

Any known issues to watch out for with the 22s? I own a 2023 iX and actually prefer the old iDrive compared to the new one in the 2023, but idk if that tech will become dated and/or unsupported very quickly.
No issues from what I've seen, at least not widespread. I do know of issues affecting some 2020-2022 cars that had missing options and features, but I don't know how much this affected the Alpina, if at all.

On the pro side, you do also get the old iDrive as well as the ability to use bimmercode to code anti-dazzle and other functions.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 12:05 PM   #5
khai37
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW XB7

I was in the same boat last year, was lucky enough to pick up a 2021 certified xb7 about the same piece your at. I . Got the extended warranty and call it a day. No issues so far and my kids love it when I destroyed little cars at the red light
Appreciate 0