F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steinbauer being fitted tomorrow
Studio RSR

05-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #23
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers330d View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, Sport mode is razor sharp! Didn't have the opportunity to test sport much because of road conditions, but for the brief period I did it was proper quick!
The difference for me is a lot more pronounced in sport as well, almost too quick to respond
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2017, 02:10 AM   #24
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy1 View Post
Keen to learn how you're finding it... could be the answer to me keeping the 330D! Getting bored of it already 😭
Do it mate. It's definitely well worth it.

On my way to work this morning I overtook another car on an incline. The increase in torque was obvious because my car just catapulted past like there was no incline at all. I was very impressed and a bit smug lol

Still haven't had a decent play yet though as it hasn't stopped raining since it was fitted! Watch this space!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #25
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers330d View Post
Do it mate. It's definitely well worth it.

On my way to work this morning I overtook another car on an incline. The increase in torque was obvious because my car just catapulted past like there was no incline at all. I was very impressed and a bit smug lol

Still haven't had a decent play yet though as it hasn't stopped raining since it was fitted! Watch this space!
That's because fiat 500's can't go up hills

Seriously Though .. sounds good .. enjoy
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
That's because fiat 500's can't go up hills

Seriously Though .. sounds good .. enjoy

The said car was nothing special, just another road user minding their own business. But coming off this roundabout up the hill, it's two lanes that go into one, and I decided with about 100 yds left to give it the beans. It's definitely the low end torque where the difference is most felt.

I'm just counting down the seconds for work to finish so I can enjoy a hopefully dry run home on familiar roads
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #27
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

Just thought I'd update this thread with my experiences now that I've had the chance to do plenty of driving.

It goes without saying that the car is quicker, more powerful and more responsive, so I won't labour too much here. It's more other experiences/observations I've noticed since fitting the box.

Over the weekend, I thought I'd try winding back the tune adjustment to the standard 12 o'clock position. Jason from Steinbauer had it set at 2 o'clock (max is 4 o'clock) and I found the engine response a bit too savage on this setting. However the default setting was dull as ditch water by comparison so have since set it back to where it was lol! I guess it'll just take a bit of getting used to.

So, other things I've noticed (all in comfort mode) are the characteristics of the gearbox. Presumably it must detect torque and power increases because it has changed. It feels lazier! At anything other than full throttle, where before it would be quite lively, there's much less tendency now for it to seek out the high revs so easily. It makes for more relaxing cruising; I hardly need to touch the throttle on an undulating motorway compared to before.

The turbo makes more whooshy, hissy, psssst sounds. Sorry, my technical terminology is awful! lol! Before having the box fitted, the turbo always made a noise when you came off throttle from full, but now when you give it part throttle you can sometimes hear it making noises and getting excited. Under full bore acceleration you still can't hear it at all, which is good. I'm not overly worried about it right now, but I am aware of the fact that the turbo is probably the weakest link. According to Jason, the box at its current setting will be giving me something in the region of 320bhp which is right on the cusp of what the single turbo in the 30d can handle, or so I'm led to believe from what I've read on here. :/ The next SRR meet should confirm or deny this.

I was told that the Steinbauer box does not cause the OBD mpg displays to read optimistically. Now I don't for one minute expect any MPG gains in reality, but my average MPG has crept up 0.3mpg since having the box fitted and despite much spirited driving. But I've brimmed the tank and reset the trip computer so we'll see on this front.

I don't know how to tag users in posts (perhaps someone could give me a pointer), but this is to the user, teaston: I know that you had a Steinbauer box on your previous car. Reading your posts was a big help in coming to my decision so I thank you for that! Do you corroborate some of the observations I have made? What setting on the box did you finally settle on and get on with? Any other experiences? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0