forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aftermarket Audio in X7

07-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #23
Toga_Lock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Am I the only one that thinks the H&K system...well....sucks? I have the M50i, it's my first BMW. I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the sound system. I'm by no means an audiophile and I came out of a 2010 Toyota Sequoia, and I think the Sequoia factory sound was better. I can't point to an exact problem, it's just annoying. I've messed with the EQ ad nauseum (it's a short cut button because of this), and just can't get it to sound great. It just sounds okay. Am I the only one? Or is there something else I can try. I've had it for 3 months, and I own it so I plan on keeping it a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #24
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga_Lock View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the H&K system...well....sucks? I have the M50i, it's my first BMW. I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the sound system. I'm by no means an audiophile and I came out of a 2010 Toyota Sequoia, and I think the Sequoia factory sound was better. I can't point to an exact problem, it's just annoying. I've messed with the EQ ad nauseum (it's a short cut button because of this), and just can't get it to sound great. It just sounds okay. Am I the only one? Or is there something else I can try. I've had it for 3 months, and I own it so I plan on keeping it a while.
What is your source material? XM radio sounds terrible. It sounds decent to me when I stream Amazon music from my phone, but other sources do not sound as good. HK is not a perfect system by far, but I enjoy it. Our volvo sounds better than the HK but it has a $3k "bowers and wilkins" system. So not a fair comparison. I used to compete in car stereo competitions when I was young. I've never heard a factory system that could rival what I had back then. 6.5" 3 way separates up front and two 12's in a single reflex bandpass box. Pheonix gold amps, etc, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:52 AM   #25
oyakf
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 4.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I found this link on the focal website, but I am not sure what options are available for the X7 with base (non-HK) audio.
Thanks, Phasers. I hadn’t located that on my own so sent them a note for more information. I’ll report back if/when I learn more.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #26
Toga_Lock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
What is your source material? XM radio sounds terrible. It sounds decent to me when I stream Amazon music from my phone, but other sources do not sound as good. HK is not a perfect system by far, but I enjoy it. Our volvo sounds better than the HK but it has a $3k "bowers and wilkins" system. So not a fair comparison. I used to compete in car stereo competitions when I was young. I've never heard a factory system that could rival what I had back then. 6.5" 3 way separates up front and two 12's in a single reflex bandpass box. Pheonix gold amps, etc, etc.
Agree, XM sounds terrible. Mostly streaming from my phone in apple carplay. I really didn’t think I needed to pay the extra $4k or so for the upgraded stereo on a $100k car to get decent sound. I even have trouble with podcasts sounding right. I don’t need a crazy thumpin’ system. Just thought it would sound better. I’m only disappointed in a couple of things on the X7. The H&K stereo is probably #1.

Last edited by Toga_Lock; 07-21-2021 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #27
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Has anyone installed a solid aftermarket system from the base hi-fi system on the i40 with great success? I would like at least as good as the HK system at the bare minimum. I don’t bat music but appreciate crisp sound and can hear all the instruments. The base system is horrible. Call me crazy but I’m seriously considering the i50 just to get the silly HK as I really prefer to not have someone take off door panels etc. and end up with creaking sounds down the road. However, fuel range is pretty important as we road trip and I hate stopping for gas constantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #28
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

See this thread… might be helpful…

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846757
Appreciate 0