BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum If you plan to keep the car longer, do you consider ceramic coating ?

09-05-2021, 12:07 AM   #23
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpanjy View Post
Is PPF removable?
I have another question.
I ordered an x7 with black sapphire paint. I personally like matte finish. Is it good to wrap matte finish PPF? Or there is no such thing Or bad idea?

Dealer doesn't have M50i allocation at this moment, so technically, I still can customize to have matte paint for additional $4500. Even so, I will still need coating protection, will that defeat the purpose of have matte finish? And paint becomes shining again?

Debating.
You can do it two different ways. Xpel makes a matte PPF called stealth film. You can get regular shiny paint and the film will make the paint look like a matte finish. You could also get your X7 with the matte paint finish and get the stealth film on top to keep the matte look as well. Either way won’t be cheap because the first option will require you to do PPF on the entire vehicle to get the matte look.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #24
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Yes, PPF is removable.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #25
DravitX7
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 m50i

The PPF is always a good idea (on a vehicle as expensive as these are). I would recommend getting gloss paint, then going the matte PPF route. That way, when you sell the vehicle, the new owner can enjoy the matte finish, or remove the wrap and have perfect paint underneath!
I ceramic coated my X7 myself, with about $250 worth of Gteckniq products (CSL, Exo v4 and C5 Wheel Armor). If you go this route, get the larger bottle of CSL! I used every bit of it!
Edit: I did this the day after taking delivery. I made sure to tell my SA that I did not want the dealership in put ANYTHING on the paintwork, that I would need to strip off before installing the coating. After I buffed out a few small spots by hand, and strip washing and IPA wipe down, it was ready to go!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #26
X7NJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7

Garage List
2022 X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DravitX7 View Post
The PPF is always a good idea (on a vehicle as expensive as these are). I would recommend getting gloss paint, then going the matte PPF route. That way, when you sell the vehicle, the new owner can enjoy the matte finish, or remove the wrap and have perfect paint underneath!
I ceramic coated my X7 myself, with about $250 worth of Gteckniq products (CSL, Exo v4 and C5 Wheel Armor). If you go this route, get the larger bottle of CSL! I used every bit of it!
Edit: I did this the day after taking delivery. I made sure to tell my SA that I did not want the dealership in put ANYTHING on the paintwork, that I would need to strip off before installing the coating. After I buffed out a few small spots by hand, and strip washing and IPA wipe down, it was ready to go!
Planning on doing ceramic coating myself as well. Only thing is that I'm doing PCD, so have a 700+ mile drive home first from SC.

Were you happy with the products you used?

Maybe I should tell PCD not to put on the wax. But wax might help the bugs and tar from highway driving come off easier when I do a hand car wash once I get home. Or I'm thinking maybe I should put a spray on ceramic coating that's super easy to apply before I leave PCD?

What's strip washing?

IPA...just regular isopropyl alcohol?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #27
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X7NJ View Post
Planning on doing ceramic coating myself as well. Only thing is that I'm doing PCD, so have a 700+ mile drive home first from SC.

Were you happy with the products you used?

Maybe I should tell PCD not to put on the wax. But wax might help the bugs and tar from highway driving come off easier when I do a hand car wash once I get home. Or I'm thinking maybe I should put a spray on ceramic coating that's super easy to apply before I leave PCD?

What's strip washing?

IPA...just regular isopropyl alcohol?
Sounds like you need to do a bit more research before tackling a DIY ceramic coating (which is not that hard, I just did it on my M3, but not something you want to dive into blindly). The enthusiast car detailing world is ridiculously big with tons of info on the net, especially on YouTube.

I recommend you check out the YouTube channels of: Apex Detail and Pan the Organizer to learn a bit more. There are many others, but these two are a good start to see what is out there and how much you think you may want to do yourself vs have someone else do.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      11-29-2021, 03:55 AM   #28
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

That's why I got it wrapped and coated straight from the factory in Greenville, before taking the road trip. (details in the journal in my signature)

Others have literally wrapped their whole front end with blue painter's tape before driving home and detailing there.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
X7NJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7

Garage List
2022 X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Sounds like you need to do a bit more research before tackling a DIY ceramic coating (which is not that hard, I just did it on my M3, but not something you want to dive into blindly). The enthusiast car detailing world is ridiculously big with tons of info on the net, especially on YouTube.

I recommend you check out the YouTube channels of: Apex Detail and Pan the Organizer to learn a bit more. There are many others, but these two are a good start to see what is out there and how much you think you may want to do yourself vs have someone else do.
Many thanks for the advice. Yeah definitely need to do more, but finding it a bit hard to find the time with life with a 4 year old and 7 month old haha. Will definitely check out the two channels. Will also start a separate thread, as my scenario is a bit specific/different than this thread topic.
      11-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #30
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Many thanks for the advice. Yeah definitely need to do more, but finding it a bit hard to find the time with life with a 4 year old and 7 month old haha. Will definitely check out the two channels. Will also start a separate thread, as my scenario is a bit specific/different than this thread topic.
Totally agree with jmciver though I'd take Pan with a grain of salt ... he's a heavily paid influencer; doesn't mean his content is bad or wrong, but I'd look at more as "advertorials" rather than unbiased info, but then that's pretty hard to find.

Scott from dallas paint correction has great stuff (though he also moved into his own business)

and my controversial pick would be Matt Moreman at Obsessed Garage - he's a forum member here and about as corporate free as you can get, though pretty opinionated.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:39 AM   #31
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Totally agree with jmciver though I'd take Pan with a grain of salt ... he's a heavily paid influencer; doesn't mean his content is bad or wrong, but I'd look at more as "advertorials" rather than unbiased info, but then that's pretty hard to find.

Scott from dallas paint correction has great stuff (though he also moved into his own business)

and my controversial pick would be Matt Moreman at Obsessed Garage - he's a forum member here and about as corporate free as you can get, though pretty opinionated.
Haha, I have "learned" stuff from those guys as well, including buying stuff from Obsessed Garage. I agree with your opinions about Pan. I learned more about technique than products from his videos, but his product "endorsements" are usually pretty good (I have used some with success).

But, it is a very slippery slope when it comes to enthusiast detailing…
Attached Images

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      11-30-2021, 08:00 PM   #32
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Haha, I have "learned" stuff from those guys as well, including buying stuff from Obsessed Garage. I agree with your opinions about Pan. I learned more about technique than products from his videos, but his product "endorsements" are usually pretty good (I have used some with success).

is that a de-ionizer and karch power sprayer? is that OG stuff?

De-ionizer is legit - especially here in the bay area where the water can be shit - and they're fairly cheap ... I just buy it from Whole foods since I've got to a portable setup, but if not I'd def get one like spotless or whatever - I looked into those awhile back and they were like $300 so not bad.

With that I've found is, with a hydroshot and whole foods 3 gallon bottle of de-i water ($1.47), I can do the full truck and still have water left over and it's super portable so I can take it on trips. it's fun to powerspray off bugs in a hotel parking lot!

I just got a bunch of mitts & pads from microfiber madness and the rag company (ultras & a few cyclones) so it'll be fun to try those out ...

Slippery slope indeed!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:37 PM   #33
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCillini View Post
I really could use some help here. I'm getting my vehicle next weekend from the dealer in the Midwest. I live in New York City and I street park my car (because I just can't stomach the thought of paying $9600 a year to garage park any vehicle). As such, i get scratches on the vehicle. The most common blemishes are bumper imperfections from people who are terrible parallel parkers trying to squeeze in behind or in front of me, and, random side scratches from bicycles or motorcycles whose handlebars clip the sides of the vehicle. This is the one thing that really gives me anxiety about this purchase, which was admittedly a splurge and (unnecessary) treat for myself.

If ceramic coatings don't protect against scratches, I am guessing nothing does and I'm just playing with fire? I have seen there are other metro NYCers here. Any tricks of the trade?

THANK YOU!
Bumper bully (this brand called Parking Armor makes a very thick one) could work, but not sure if you can use it in the X7 since you have a split tailgate (it hangs out of your back with straps that go into the trunk to hold it in place). If so you can put it back in and out ever time you park.

There are door ding protectors (Dingbats I think they are called) that will magnetically attach to your doors, with steel wires that prevent theft. However not sure if that will mess with your door seals, and is really meant only for door dings in parking lots.

Full disclosure I garage my car, so I don’t know if those things will work for you. I’ve used them mainly to keep the car from getting damaged while in a garage, given how close the attendants stack them up.

Not sure what part of town you live in, but down by Battery Park there is a garage called Battery Parking Garage or something like that. Unlike most Manhattan garages its self serve, and I understand to be very cheap. If you do go the garage route, always ask to speak to the manager - listed prices are always much higher than what the actual cost is, and usually the manager will cut a deal. Or use one of the parking lead gen sites - like Parkwhiz or Bestparking. Sometimes there are discounted rates if you are OK only getting your car during certain hours, etc.

Seaport Parking downtown on Gold Street is about $550 a month, inclusive of the oversized surcharge, there are a number of Icon garages in that area that are probably similarly priced. Plus its an Icon garage, so you get 50% off hourly rates at all other Icons, and they are all over the city - potentially recover some value driving vs taking Uber to locations within Manhattan.

Also don’t forget to apply for your parking tax exemption - another 10% off for residents of Manhattan (for Manhattan garages).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:52 AM   #34
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

is that a de-ionizer and karch power sprayer? is that OG stuff?

De-ionizer is legit - especially here in the bay area where the water can be shit - and they're fairly cheap ... I just buy it from Whole foods since I've got to a portable setup, but if not I'd def get one like spotless or whatever - I looked into those awhile back and they were like $300 so not bad.

With that I've found is, with a hydroshot and whole foods 3 gallon bottle of de-i water ($1.47), I can do the full truck and still have water left over and it's super portable so I can take it on trips. it's fun to powerspray off bugs in a hotel parking lot!

I just got a bunch of mitts & pads from microfiber madness and the rag company (ultras & a few cyclones) so it'll be fun to try those out ...

Slippery slope indeed!
Yup, that is a de-ionizer system from On The Go. After pricing various systems, including CR Spotless, I felt this system was the most value for the money - especially when taking into account the long term resin replacement costs. As far as buying stuff from OG, yeah I have frequented that store quite a bit, including the Karcher Cube and KobaJet hose you see in that picture…. . And I also frequented The Rag Company as well - I have two tote bins full of rags, drying towels and mits as well….

And for those of you who think that a de-ionizer system, which allows for a spotless rinse that allows for "air drying" a car, is overkill - you would be correct . But after all, we are enthusiasts right ?

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50