BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2023 X7 Problem with Dashboard Screen

12-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #1
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

2023 X7 Problem with Dashboard Screen

Hi all,

Took delivery of our 2023 X7 xDrive 40i back on Oct 30th after a three month wait on our custom order. Spec'd it out essentially fully loaded with the Dravit Grey exterior and Tartufo extended leather interior. The wife and I love it! In fact, I'm so excited about it I'll share a pic of the car below so you, too, can enjoy it!

Anyway, just 3 weeks into ownership the main screen in front of the driver started going out. Sometimes we would start the car and the screen would be completely black, and other times we would be driving along when it suddenly went totally black. Sometimes it would stay off for a few minutes, and another time it was off for over an hour. Some drives it will be off and never come back on. This is a bit stressful, as you can imagine, as aside from having no idea how fast we are going (heads up display also turns off) we can't see our fuel gauge. When everything you need to know and see while driving is on a digital display and that display turns off, you've got a problem.

We brought it to our local dealer, who took it for 24 hours and turned it back to us saying the problem was a software update and that it's all fixed. Of course, on the drive home from the dealer it happened again. And again and again after that. Definitely NOT fixed. So, about a week ago we brought the car back (soonest they could get us back in with a loaner car). After 4 days of waiting for a reply I called the service guy myself to ask what's going on and was told the display needs to be replaced. Worst of all, the display is coming from Germany and will take 25 days to arrive!! I asked about expedited shipping and was told this is the best they can do.

This seems rather incredible, and I'm wondering if this is a one-off issue or if others are experiencing anything similar. To go without my brand new X7 for a full month now is also a bit of a kick in the pants, especially when we actually need the size of it (big family) and the best they can give me in its place is an X5 loaner. Close enough, but I miss my X7.

Anyone else have, or heard of, similar issues?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's what it looks like driving around without a display.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
jnmit12
Rep
Drives: various

I call BS on the 25 day wait... The car is made in SC, so they go through 1000+ a week there... It should be the same as the X5 (another 4000 per week) Regardless of supply constraints, they are prioritizing new car production.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This has always been a oddity with BMW and parts availability. A screen swap is a simple job but BMW has never been prepared in storing a acceptable amount of parts for warranty issues. It’s been this way even before Covid. Look at something as simple as tires and batteries?? 22” tires are a issue and 23”ers are so bad a owner probably should purchase a spare front and rear tire and store them on their garage.

BMW needs to restructure post manufacturing parts as they always seem so unprepared with parts. It’s especially insulting when these vehicles are made stateside.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea, I don’t quite get why a vehicle built in South Carolina can’t get a spare screen within the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
gsobol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz View Post
Here's what it looks like driving around without a display.
Obviously BMW is going the Tesla way ... central display.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #7
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

In case anyone is wondering, the car is STILL at the shop. Might not even have it back this year. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #8
Riddleric
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
In case anyone is wondering, the car is STILL at the shop. Might not even have it back this year. Very frustrating.
Sorry to hear that hope you got a good loaner.
I just picked up the car couple of weeks ago and it happened once during my phone call the screen went black and disconnected Bluetooth for a min.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      12-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This has always been a oddity with BMW and parts availability. A screen swap is a simple job but BMW has never been prepared in storing a acceptable amount of parts for warranty issues. It’s been this way even before Covid. Look at something as simple as tires and batteries?? 22” tires are a issue and 23”ers are so bad a owner probably should purchase a spare front and rear tire and store them on their garage.

BMW needs to restructure post manufacturing parts as they always seem so unprepared with parts. It’s especially insulting when these vehicles are made stateside.
Agreed. I once had to wait 5-6 weeks for taillights of a 2019 X7 to arrive from Germany (replaced due to excess moisture/foggy). You would assume at least something like tail-lights should be a stocked item, at least to be ready for accidents or whatever!!!!!
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      12-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #10
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
WOW...I hope they gave you a loaner. Everything is taking too long!
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      12-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #11
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddleric View Post
Sorry to hear that hope you got a good loaner.
I just picked up the car couple of weeks ago and it happened once during my phone call the screen went black and disconnected Bluetooth for a min.
Hopefully it was a one time thing. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 11:57 PM   #12
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
WOW...I hope they gave you a loaner. Everything is taking too long!
New(ish) X5. Not terrible, but we miss our X7.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      12-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #13
Nonsuch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M6

Quote:
(heads up display also turns off)
That is an interesting symptom, which might mean several things:
  • Head Up display is dependent on something from the main display, which seems like an odd design
  • Failure is in another module, common to both displays
You should be keeping detailed records, since this might become a Lemon Law buy-back.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      12-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #14
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

I will take any dealer service dept advise with a grain of salt. Right after my X5 went out of it's 4 yr warranty check engine light comes on, took it to the $tealer, says its a Vanos fault will have to open up the engine and check ledges? Cost $8000. I immediately turned around, took it to the indy, swapped Vanos solenoids, fault migrated from intake to exhaust, replaced the solenoid myself, cost $150, no faults since then.

As you mention the HUD also goes out, could be the power supply module for the two . Even though the front screen appears as 1 it seems to have 2 separate displays, tach is separate from the central display. Nevertheless, with the car being in warranty $tealership is the best way to go.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      01-12-2023, 01:38 PM   #15
tiffbeyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7

no BMW for 45 days

I was so excited to get my new 2023 BMW X7 after I had spent the last 3 years driving my 2020 X7. I waited a couple of months for it which I knew would be the case. One day after delivery I got a chassis light. The dealer came and picked it up and tried to dup the problem which didnt happen. I got it back and over the next 4 weeks I had 15 singular problems that never happened a second time. Luckily I took pictures and videos of every one of them. They took the truck back and I have been in a rental car that BMW is paying for since November 29 bc the part (VIP module) isnt made yet being a new updated model. They said it had to be made in Germany, then sent to America which would be in February. Its crazy!!!!!!!! 3 months to get a part.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      01-12-2023, 03:27 PM   #16
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffbeyer View Post
I was so excited to get my new 2023 BMW X7 after I had spent the last 3 years driving my 2020 X7. I waited a couple of months for it which I knew would be the case. One day after delivery I got a chassis light. The dealer came and picked it up and tried to dup the problem which didnt happen. I got it back and over the next 4 weeks I had 15 singular problems that never happened a second time. Luckily I took pictures and videos of every one of them. They took the truck back and I have been in a rental car that BMW is paying for since November 29 bc the part (VIP module) isnt made yet being a new updated model. They said it had to be made in Germany, then sent to America which would be in February. Its crazy!!!!!!!! 3 months to get a part.
Grounds for a BMW buyback here… I would work with BMW N.A. first and get the process going.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      01-15-2023, 11:23 AM   #17
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

To close the loop on this issue I originally posted about (and forgot to update on sooner) I got my car back on Dec 31. 33 days total at the dealership to diagnose and then replace the screen. On a positive note, the issue does appear to have been completely remedied as I’m 2 weeks home with it and there hasn’t been a single instance of the issue popping up.

Certainly frustrating to have the car at the dealership for longer than I actually first had the car, but at least it’s now behind us. Currently working with BMWNA on Time Away from Vehicle compensation and supposed to hear back shortly.
Appreciate 1
jeep71.00
      01-15-2023, 02:57 PM   #18
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Please do share the details on the final resolution with BMWNA. All the best.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      01-21-2023, 03:58 PM   #19
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep

As a final post, this is now resolved with BMWNA. They offered me 1.5 months worth of my loan payments, which I accepted. Good of them to see holding my car for a month is unacceptable.
Appreciate 1
Missduvy288.00
      01-22-2023, 11:40 AM   #20
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffbeyer View Post
After having mine for 6 days, it was in the shop for 3 because my “server won’t connect.” They’re replacing the telecommunications unit, which also has to be made in Germany. Why do they not have any parts already made? At least my issue doesn’t affect the driving — just the connection to outside services. So I can still drive it.
Appreciate 1
Drizz181.50
      01-22-2023, 01:30 PM   #21
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
After having mine for 6 days, it was in the shop for 3 because my “server won’t connect.” They’re replacing the telecommunications unit, which also has to be made in Germany. Why do they not have any parts already made? At least my issue doesn’t affect the driving — just the connection to outside services. So I can still drive it.
My understanding is that with microchips shortages they are intentionally not leaving any parts that are electronic related, so they can use all microchips for production units, while maintenance/repair/warranty replacement items are on (as needed) basis. Nothing is stored nowadays.
Appreciate 0