Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DishoomX2 View Post
THIS is what I'm concerned about if I change my current OE staggered setup to a square 285/45/22 setup.
I have a 2020 with 34k miles and non-staggered 21” wheels. I experienced the same issue about 7k miles ago. When I brought it up at the dealership, the service manager seemed unfamiliar with the problem. They test drove the car and found nothing wrong, likely because it's still under warranty. The car will be due for service soon, and I plan to ask them to address the issue. It appears that many people are facing the same problem. Why isn't this issue part of a manufacturer recall? Could it potentially lead to a class-action lawsuit?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:14 PM   #24
PHARDY_BMWX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Did your issue get resolved after 125 miles? I am facing this exact same issue on my M50i CPO. Dealer is recommending a fluid only but not transfer case replacement. Tech did mention that I’d have to drive about 100-125 miles for the shuddering to go away completely.
I know this is an old thread, but did it solve your issues? I have the x7 M50i as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:41 PM   #25
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARDY_BMWX View Post
I know this is an old thread, but did it solve your issues? I have the x7 M50i as well.
It did. Car has the tiniest hint of vibration turning when at 2-3mph but it’s not noticeable. I’m just very anal.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 06:19 AM   #26
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Unfortunately the transfer case is becoming more and more of a frequently seen issue in the X7s, independent of engine type. My dealer told me they see quite a few of them. It’s pretty easy to tell whether you are in the camp of a slowly developing T-case issue by doing tight, slow (<5-10mph) turns on a parking lot and paying attention to whether some of your wheels are shuddering or slipping. It can be very slight but even a slight reaction was confirmed by my dealer to be an indication for a down the line issue (by the way a high volume dealer in the Chicago area). Mileage does not seem to be a big driver, ie they’ve seen sub-20k examples as well as above 60k examples.

The resolution process is simple but annoying:
- On your first visit when the dealer confirms the issue, BMW says to simply swap out the t-case fluid. This can temporarily solve the issue, as you are required to drive at least a 1000 miles before reconfirming that the issue still persists.
- On the second visit after fluid change confirming the issue, BMW will replace the transfer case. This typically resolves the issue.

To make your case more noticeable at your dealer, I recommend coming prepared with the TSB that BMW has released on this issue. It is SIB 27 02 20 and I have attached it here for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10176367-9999.pdf (234.5 KB, 141 views)
Appreciate 3
Brendon50.00
alic9613.50
ak32x0.00
      02-10-2024, 08:00 AM   #27
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Great info - thanks. Just an FYI, they might try to sell you new tires if your tires running low on treads. They asked me to replace tires before they did anything. I recently got brand new OEM size tires but got aftermarket wheels. I can see them asking me to change back to OEM wheels...

"Unevenly worn or incorrect fitment tires are installed on the vehicle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Unfortunately the transfer case is becoming more and more of a frequently seen issue in the X7s, independent of engine type. My dealer told me they see quite a few of them. It’s pretty easy to tell whether you are in the camp of a slowly developing T-case issue by doing tight, slow (<5-10mph) turns on a parking lot and paying attention to whether some of your wheels are shuddering or slipping. It can be very slight but even a slight reaction was confirmed by my dealer to be an indication for a down the line issue (by the way a high volume dealer in the Chicago area). Mileage does not seem to be a big driver, ie they’ve seen sub-20k examples as well as above 60k examples.

The resolution process is simple but annoying:
- On your first visit when the dealer confirms the issue, BMW says to simply swap out the t-case fluid. This can temporarily solve the issue, as you are required to drive at least a 1000 miles before reconfirming that the issue still persists.
- On the second visit after fluid change confirming the issue, BMW will replace the transfer case. This typically resolves the issue.

To make your case more noticeable at your dealer, I recommend coming prepared with the TSB that BMW has released on this issue. It is SIB 27 02 20 and I have attached it here for reference.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 06:42 PM   #28
ak32x
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Good call attaching bulletin

I assume many will benefit from this but same issue on my x7. Techs were not quick to dismiss or anything but they were not sure what was causing the issue. Quick Google search led me to this forum and the bulletin that was attached. Tech immediately took note and took it in. They changed the transfer case oil and though the bulletin says drive 125 miles, my tech said they require 200 miles (I know some are saying 1000 miles) so it probably varies. They are wanting to see if issue is fixed after oil change and will require being 'able to replicate' if I return.

Car is still under warranty for another few months so would like to get it changed out while under warranty. Will post an update should issue return in 200 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #29
Archie007
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

I recently purchased a 2020 M50i. Im trying to decide on if I should get a third party extended warranty through the dealer (Zurich). I just went back through my carfax report and noticed that at 30k miles, there is a vehicle service record that reads:

- Maintenance inspection completed
- Transfer case removed to complete repairs
- Computer reprogrammed

We've only had the car for less than a week and it now has 32k miles. I haven't noticed any issues so far but wondering if anyone can help me discern what that carfax designation means?

Can removed mean replaced? is it likely a bandaid that could mean a larger repair is coming, in which case, i should get the extended?

Thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:29 AM   #30
X7 40i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Transfer Case full replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosbest View Post
My transfer case on my 2019 X7 failed after 3.5 years. There is an issue with a number of them. They changed transfer case oil and then replaced the entire transfer case a few weeks lates. Works fine now. I would get tje casechanged, not just the oil - it wont get better.
I am Europe based, my transfer case showed problems just two months out warranty at about 90 000km. Initially, I though the jerking while accelerating was caused by poor fuel quality as I often drive in shithole countries.

My dealer diagnosed it and at no point suggested changing the oil. They advised changing the whole transfer case (costs about EUR 6 000). They also advised changing the rear tires (Pirelli Zero 315/35/22) as they did not have the BMW star on them). They are about 8 months old, so I am hesitant.

Not sure whether to proceed with the repair though, as my lease is almost over. I hear that other problems tend to appear once you reach 100K km.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:35 AM   #31
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7 40i View Post
I am Europe based, my transfer case showed problems just two months out warranty at about 90 000km. Initially, I though the jerking while accelerating was caused by poor fuel quality as I often drive in shithole countries.

My dealer diagnosed it and at no point suggested changing the oil. They advised changing the whole transfer case (costs about EUR 6 000). They also advised changing the rear tires (Pirelli Zero 315/35/22) as they did not have the BMW star on them). They are about 8 months old, so I am hesitant.

Not sure whether to proceed with the repair though, as my lease is almost over. I hear that other problems tend to appear once you reach 100K km.
I’m not sure about European BMW warranty and usual lease-length and coverage. With about ~56k miles on the vehicle an extended warranty or BMW ultimate care coverage should protect you though from having to pay for it yourself. Also, the t-case so far has been the only “bad” mechanical issue for pre-LCI X7s that I’ve observed here on the forum over the last 4 years. I think the vehicle is generally highly reliable, mechanically, and you should be good until 100k miles (160k KM). If your tires are the same size/spec as OEM, whether or not you have a “BMW star” (a concept that doesn’t exist in the US) shouldn’t matter to the transfer case situation - that would only be the case if your tires are a different size than the OEM spec 22” tires.

Also kudos to your dealer for sparing you the t-case oil change and skipping straight to the replacement. This is usually the path to resolution, as for most people the t-case oil change is just a temporary fix.
      02-20-2024, 07:30 AM   #32
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie007 View Post
I recently purchased a 2020 M50i. Im trying to decide on if I should get a third party extended warranty through the dealer (Zurich). I just went back through my carfax report and noticed that at 30k miles, there is a vehicle service record that reads:

- Maintenance inspection completed
- Transfer case removed to complete repairs
- Computer reprogrammed

We've only had the car for less than a week and it now has 32k miles. I haven't noticed any issues so far but wondering if anyone can help me discern what that carfax designation means?

Can removed mean replaced? is it likely a bandaid that could mean a larger repair is coming, in which case, i should get the extended?

Thanks so much
Can you see where the repair occurred? I'd call the dealer where that event occurred directly to verify. If it was BMW, I believe any other BMW and maybe even BMW NA can also access that record and confirm what happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:30 AM   #33
Archie007
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
Can you see where the repair occurred? I'd call the dealer where that event occurred directly to verify. If it was BMW, I believe any other BMW and maybe even BMW NA can also access that record and confirm what happened.
Yea, ended up doing just that. Looks like the transfer case oil was replaced at 22k miles and they eventually replaced the transfer case at 30k miles. Not sure how likely that is to repeat but I did get a handful of other service records from them, which was helpful.

I think the original user might have replaced a single tire at one point which may have caused the issue.

Now the question becomes, is this like tommy john surgery in baseball where you have it once and you're usually good or could this be more likely to happen in the future b/c it happened once
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:28 PM   #34
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
I’m not sure about European BMW warranty and usual lease-length and coverage. With about ~56k miles on the vehicle an extended warranty or BMW ultimate care coverage should protect you though from having to pay for it yourself. Also, the t-case so far has been the only “bad” mechanical issue for pre-LCI X7s that I’ve observed here on the forum over the last 4 years. I think the vehicle is generally highly reliable, mechanically, and you should be good until 100k miles (160k KM). If your tires are the same size/spec as OEM, whether or not you have a “BMW star” (a concept that doesn’t exist in the US) shouldn’t matter to the transfer case situation - that would only be the case if your tires are a different size than the OEM spec 22” tires.

Also kudos to your dealer for sparing you the t-case oil change and skipping straight to the replacement. This is usually the path to resolution, as for most people the t-case oil change is just a temporary fix.
The reason I'm commenting here is because I've encountered the same issue with my car, which hasn't been resolved by the dealership simply because they cannot replicate the issue. I feel a front tire skip (on clear pavement) occasionally when turning at a 45-90 degree angle at stop signs, (I have new Pirelli tires). Additionally, there's a metal humming noise coming from the back of the car with increasing tensity each week, and when driving on the highway, I feel a slight grinding feedback on the pedal and floor when under slight load (it used to be smooth as butter).

When the car's warranty expires and my transfer case shatters on the highway into pieces, will BMW cover the repair cost, or will they simply say, "Bro... that sucks... do you wanna pay with cash or card?"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:12 PM   #35
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinioX7 View Post
The reason I'm commenting here is because I've encountered the same issue with my car, which hasn't been resolved by the dealership simply because they cannot replicate the issue. I feel a front tire skip (on clear pavement) occasionally when turning at a 45-90 degree angle at stop signs, (I have new Pirelli tires). Additionally, there's a metal humming noise coming from the back of the car with increasing tensity each week, and when driving on the highway, I feel a slight grinding feedback on the pedal and floor when under slight load (it used to be smooth as butter).

When the car's warranty expires and my transfer case shatters on the highway into pieces, will BMW cover the repair cost, or will they simply say, "Bro... that sucks... do you wanna pay with cash or card?"
Maybe find a few hours trying to capture the issues on video, bring a friend if needed. Then you can share the evidence with BMW and see what they do.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 06:17 PM   #36
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
The dealerships know this is a widespread issue. I would suggest trying a different dealer if that’s an option, otherwise reach out directly to BMWNA and let them know what you’re going through so at least it’s documented.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #37
E3_550
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550

Garage List
2022 M 550  [0.00]
2019 X7 40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E3_550 View Post
We were experiencing shuddering from the transfer case under certain instances. Our dealer changed the fluid and everything has been good since. X7 40i with 73,000 miles.
Update! We now have 92,000 miles and are having shuddering issues again. Went by my dealer last week and they will be replacing the transfer case end of this month. Thankfully, extended warranty will be covering the cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 12:54 PM   #38
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Update! We now have 92,000 miles and are having shuddering issues again. Went by my dealer last week and they will be replacing the transfer case end of this month. Thankfully, extended warranty will be covering the cost.
Through whom do you extend your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 01:39 PM   #39
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:56 PM   #40
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledphut View Post
The dealerships know this is a widespread issue. I would suggest trying a different dealer if that’s an option, otherwise reach out directly to BMWNA and let them know what you’re going through so at least it’s documented.
Yes, I actually ended up taking my vehicle to another dealership. What a breath of fresh air! Right from the beginning, I asked to go on a test drive with their lead technician. First, I pointed out to him the developing humming noise coming from the back, which could be heard from inside the car. He confirmed that he could hear it and it sounds like a bad wheel bearing. They gave me a brand new 2024 X5 as a loaner, and off I went. Next day I got a text from their service advisor saying that their technician identified the noise as coming from the differential, and they ordered the part that will be replaced over the weekend. I also complained about a knocking sound coming from the front driver’s side, which they are still working to identify. They also ordered a new wheel steering sensor because my steering wheel would not lower on its own sometimes. These guys are amazing!
Appreciate 1
ledphut211.00
      04-11-2024, 07:59 PM   #41
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
I’m grateful to live in an area with 6 or 7 different BMW dealerships that get to fight for my business.

I couldn’t imagine it any other way.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:41 AM   #42
E3_550
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550

Garage List
2022 M 550  [0.00]
2019 X7 40  [0.00]
Quote:
My local dealer matched the price with one of the leading dealers in CA that sells a ton of extended warranties.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:24 PM   #43
ivinioX7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
My local dealer matched the price with one of the leading dealers in CA that sells a ton of extended warranties.
Is the match for $7k or 12k?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:03 PM   #44
MSpeedX7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Took mine in for the transfer case issue. Who would have thought the transfer case oil would be on back order. No timeline has been given on when it will be back in stock.
Appreciate 0