BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Dynamic Handling Package - worth it?

07-06-2022, 11:03 PM   #23
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
DHP is only active over 5mph. You parking fast hmm...

Also, yes. It is a must-have option at the price level this vehicle is in.
I think the rear wheels turn different way in lower speed, and turns the same way in higher speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #24
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugr View Post
Quote:
IAS (rear wheel steering) which is a feature of DHP and which actually helps in parking situations, works even if you are standing still. It looks pretty cool when the rear wheels turn a little. It's a very small deflection, maybe 2.5 degrees, but still very visible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
Quote:

Also, yes. It is a must-have option at the price level this vehicle is in.
I think the rear wheels turn different way in lower speed, and turns the same way in higher speed.
I'm sorry guys but this isn't entirely accurate. IAS/DHP will only turn the rear wheels at 5mph and above. You can also test that in a parking lot yourself by adjusting mirrors and looking at the rear wheels while standing, going less than 5mph and going more than 5mph.

What's right is that the rear wheels do move differently depending on speed. From 5mph to 35mph, the rear wheels will move inwards (making the radius smaller). From 35mph and above, the rear wheels will move outwards (making lane shifts smoother).

This information can be found in the manual too. I'm off my soap box now.

EDIT: The cutoff for the change in wheel motion is 37mph, not 35. The starting point is 3mph, not 5mph (I confused km/h and mph. It starts at 5kmh). The maximum angle the wheels can achieve is 2.5 degrees.

EDIT 2: Cross referencing Auricom post on the X5 forum that goes into excruciating technical depth on IAS.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1809008
      07-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #25
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
I'm sorry guys but this isn't entirely accurate. IAS/DHP will only turn the rear wheels at 5mph and above. You can also test that in a parking lot yourself by adjusting mirrors and looking at the rear wheels while standing, going less than 5mph and going more than 5mph.
I did test it on the parking lot while standing outside and turning the wheel. The rear wheels definitely move. It was actually during the genius appointment where I asked whether my car really has IAS because the sticker didn't mention it in the DHP details.

I tried to look in the mirror before that, but it's hard to see it there. But super easy when you look from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #26
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugr View Post
Quote:
I did test it on the parking lot while standing outside and turning the wheel. The rear wheels definitely move. It was actually during the genius appointment where I asked whether my car really has IAS because the sticker didn't mention it in the DHP details.

I tried to look in the mirror before that, but it's hard to see it there. But super easy when you look from the outside.
It's very curious yours would do that. Can you send a video of them moving when standing and going less than 5mph? I'm sure it would help a lot of folks run to their BMW shops and ask why the heck in their case (5 series, 7 series, 8 series, X5-X6-X7) they aren't doing that. Also check the cross referenced post above from the G05 forum with the technical details on IAS (as released by BMW). Lastly, I would NOT trust the BMW geniuses, not even once.
      07-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #27
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
Hmm… can you send a video of them moving when standing and going less than 5mph? I'm sure it would help a lot of folks run to their BMW shops and ask why in their case they aren't doing that.
Well, just tried it and the wheels didn't visibly move, although it looked and sounded like they tried - the rear was shaking a bit. It was on the asphalt road that is not smooth - I'll try again later when I get to my driveway.

When we tried that at the dealership, the car was parked on a slight incline on a very smooth concrete ramp.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #28
SaskyBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 m50i

Do it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 06:35 PM   #29
waterboy123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

DHP def worth it

I have a 23 X7 with the DHP and it drives extremely well - like a much smaller car.
I've had a 21 GLS63 with the rear wheel steering and it still drove big.

I had a 22 X5, also with the DHP, and it didn't have much sense of straight-ahead. It would constantly bounce around inside its lane even with 2 hands on the wheel. It took me awhile to get used to it - for a while I used the excellent cruise control as an effective countermeasure - but eventually I got used to it.

I would recommend the DHP option on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #30
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
100% yes
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #31
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

i would say after having dhp for the past 4 months if i had to do it over again and things were in the current state of only available on the M60i, i would pony up the extra cash to get the M60i just for the inclusion of DHP. coming from a much smaller X3, DHP makes all the extra bulk disappear (at least in manuvering). i might even say that my X7 with DHP can maneuver as well as my X3 could-- according to the specs IAS chops down the turning circle of the X7 to either the same or smaller than
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #32
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Infrequently

Absolutely worth it. As everyone said, makes turning much easier. Had 21 X7 as loaner without it, night and day.

If you have a standard 1 bay grage, there is about 1 inch of clearance on each side with mirrors folded out. Trying to park the 21 was so much more difficult.
Appreciate 0