BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW X7 v Range Rover: Ultimate luxury test! [Carwow]

03-04-2023, 02:52 AM   #23
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Why?
It's worst in every way except off-road.
I've never understood Range Rover. And my mom has one. I don't think it's even in the same league with any German - at all. Awful driving dynamics, awful breaks, awful performance, awful quality, awful reliability.
A status car only needs that one capability - off-road. You nailed it why people prefer Rover. Look at G wagons. In reality how many people actually go off-road with those cars? People get them for status.
      03-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #24
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Being impartial, the RR is much more prestigious, elegant, classy and arguably better looking. Also does not get a facelift every 3 years so designs tend to be timeliness.

The X7 is much more sporty, much better driving experience and more reliable. Dealers provide night and day better service. Also $30-$40K cheaper.

I’d still take a RR P530 if given the choice. But the X7 is a better vehicle all things considered.
FCX52380.50
Swappy531.50
      03-04-2023, 11:37 AM   #25
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
My Range Rover nightmare from hell was all about faulty electronics, improper manufacturing and cheap connectors with parts in very vulnerable areas. This gave me 7 months of issues and unreliability that eventually failed on a family road trip. No way in hell even at a tremendous discount would I own one again. My wife detest the brand. RR with a German engine is still surrounded by incompetency and deplorable engineering.

The best and most important factor with Range Rover is their marketing department in product placement and perpetuating old stereotypes of wealth and privilege owning the brand.
The King of England loves his RR. That alone is the best marketing on earth if you ask me. Royalty over Reliability 😳
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 11:59 AM   #26
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson04 View Post
Not sure how many on this thread actually own a RR let alone 2 RR’s. I have 112,000 on my 2017 RR Supercharged Dynamic and 83,000 on my 2016 RR Supercharged Dynamic. Both are the most relaxing, elegant, mean sounding vehicles I have ever owned. I have no issues beyond recommended maintenance on both vehicles. I included pics so you know I am not one of those @$$ hats that like to troll these threads.

Nice and spot on with the pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

There is no forum like this. I owned a RRS for 3 years and it was mostly trouble free. Also, I see lots of older RRs around. Based on this forum one would expect they blow up every 24K miles or are only in the shop. Yes, they are not super reliable. But until CR started saying BMWs are reliable, the consensus here was that CR was full of shit 😂

The review sums it up well. I want the RR, but the X7 is better. RR knows luxury. It is based on creating desirable products….the X7 also leases better.
Appreciate 5
      03-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
There is no forum like this. I owned a RRS for 3 years and it was mostly trouble free. Also, I see lots of older RRs around. Based on this forum one would expect they blow up every 24K miles or are only in the shop. Yes, they are not super reliable. But until CR started saying BMWs are reliable, the consensus here was that CR was full of shit 😂

A RR is almost 50% more than an X7 and they don’t lease as well. Plus RR dealers suck - based on my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Being impartial, the RR is much more prestigious, elegant, classy and arguably better looking. Also does not get a facelift every 3 years so designs tend to be timeliness.

The X7 is much more sporty, much better driving experience and more reliable. Dealers provide night and day better service. Also $30-$40K cheaper.

I’d still take a RR P530 if given the choice. But the X7 is a better vehicle all things considered.
Could not agree more with this post.…
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 01:33 PM   #29
007 G07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '05 Odyssey EX-L

Garage List
I personally have never liked Range Rover in every aspect (including their design), except for their off-road capability. One of my friends has the entire Range Rover lineup in their garage and, honestly, if I were to overlook the Range Rover badges on the exterior or interior, they just don't have the design language that lends itself to a commanding presence from an "inherent, from-the-ground-up" perspective. I've asked people who don't know anything about cars (like, I mean, nothing) and they've said the X7 is more ostentatious-looking in appearance. But, promptly switching gears to people who know at least something about cars start leaning towards the big Range Rover.

If I really wanted the off-road prowess, then I'd get the G-wagon since it actually completes the box-like look unapologetically and has the status associated with it.

I'd take a unicorn build X7 M50i/M60i any day over the big Range Rover even when it comes to prestige and status because, for me, status/prestige of a vehicle is not separate from the merits that its driving dynamics and other objective factors award it. In other words, the objective qualities of a vehicle is what confers its status to me - but again, I'm pretty sure I may be in the minority here haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #30
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
RR knows luxury.
In what way?

It has worst engine, worst transmission, worst driving dynamics, worst performance, worst infotainment; but let's say these are not associated with luxury.

But on top of that, Range Rover is not more comfortable, is not better built, and is not quieter, and doesn't have better materials. What's 'luxury' in this context?

If you meant Rolls Royce by RR, I'd agree.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 5
007 G0745.50
KRS_SN13515.00
Teutonic2709.00
MystroX56289.50
Tyriondo127.00
      03-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #31
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In what way?

It has worst engine, worst transmission, worst driving dynamics, worst performance, worst infotainment; but let's say these are not associated with luxury.

But on top of that, Range Rover is not more comfortable, is not better built, and is not quieter, and doesn't have better materials. What's 'luxury' in this context?

If you say so. LOL. No point trying with someone whose mind is made up.

I would bet RR buyers have higher income than BMW. So clearly they are selling to more affluent buyers. I don’t know of anyone who considers BMW a higher end luxury brand than Range Rover. Not that it matters…I agree with the reviewer. The BMW X7 is objectively better, IMHO as well. But I would not consider people who prefer the RR as being ignorant of what is luxury.

Anyway, to each his own. I actually found the interior of the RRS to be great. I use CarPlay so the inbuilt Infotainment is not of much use to be. I haven’t used the inbuilt navigation or music of a car for years now! It doesn’t matter how great the Infotainment system is, Sirius XM is just terrible sounding 😢

What do you do with the Infotainment beyond music and navigation? CarPlay works the same on a BMW as Range Rover and Subaru! The screen sizes and resolution are also now the same!
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2023, 04:17 PM   #32
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Why?
It's worst in every way except off-road.
I've never understood Range Rover. And my mom has one. I don't think it's even in the same league with any German - at all. Awful driving dynamics, awful breaks, awful performance, awful quality, awful reliability.
I actually owned one. A used one. After a diesel X5 (which I adored). And I like it loads. It’s not a drivers car. It’s different. Maybe the key is buying them used after the problems are sorted. I’d have another one.
Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
Vervain397.50
      03-04-2023, 05:33 PM   #33
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
In what way?

lol. BMW engine in P530, same ZF transmission, nicer leather, definitely more comfortable and quieter. You must be trolling, or completely ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 06:02 PM   #34
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM3 View Post
lol. BMW engine in P530, same ZF transmission, nicer leather, definitely more comfortable and quieter. You must be trolling, or completely ignorant.
Wanna bet it’s more comfortable and quieter?? You need to drive a fully loaded X7M50i. I’ll put it against any Range Rover in ride and quiet cabin. This coming from someone that owned both. The BMW ride is far more smooth and eliminates any road surface noise without feeling floaty or that top heavy side to side motion that Range Rover can’t eliminate. I have been buying in this demographic of vehicles for decades now. I have either driven or actually owned them all. Range Rovers ride and personality is soft and mushy feeling much larger than what it actually is. That’s their characteristic feel.
BMW has entered the full size luxury market from scratch and has addressed all the negatives in handling the Range Rover was known for creating a full size luxury SUV that drives and handles like a BMW.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-04-2023 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #35
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
The dude from corwow in the review that started this thread said the X7 was quieter, the RR had plastic bits and a screen with more lag. Also talked about the poor stitching in the interior and how the panels don't line up well on the exterior. The X7 has the sunroof in the third row. The engine in the RR is the engine BMW is running away from with the X7 having their newest engine. An engine that will go in the future M5 and XM. The X7 is faster and handles better. Who's trolling who?
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-04-2023, 06:32 PM   #36
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Did you see the video at all?
X7 is more comfortable and quieter.

BMW's engine is the S68, which is the new gen M engine, RR does not have the same engine.
They have same ZF, but that doesn't matter, the programming is different. And what nicer leather? Even the stitching is crooked, which you wouldn't even see in a base 2 series.

The worst kind of ignorant-toxic is the kind who personally attacks others and falsely accuses them for being ignorant.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 03-04-2023 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2709.00
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-04-2023, 06:39 PM   #37
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Dream on. It won’t match a BMW in terms of materials, fit and finish, economy and dynamics. Some fancy speakers and leather will not compensate for the overall dissapointment.
Not to mention, in my books an X3/4/5/6M beats in my books any RR ever.
Ad the 12 years anticorosive warranty in a BMW versus 6 and you will realize who gives you abetter vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #38
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8MW View Post
DAFORK this means bro?
Means more than your command of the English language
      03-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #39
BritInSF
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e92 M3, G07 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Wanna bet it’s more comfortable and quieter?? You need to drive a fully loaded X7M50i. I’ll put it against any Range Rover in ride and quiet cabin. This coming from someone that owned both. The BMW ride is far more smooth and eliminates any road surface noise without feeling floaty or that top heavy side to side motion that Range Rover can’t eliminate. I have been buying in this demographic of vehicles for decades now. I have either driven or actually owned them all. Range Rovers ride and personality is soft and mushy feeling much larger than what it actually is. That’s their characteristic feel.
BMW has entered the full size luxury market from scratch and has addressed all the negatives in handling the Range Rover was known for creating a full size luxury SUV that drives and handles like a BMW.
I have a fully loaded 2022 X7 M50i, a 2023 RR P530, and 2022 992 4 GTS. The X7 is by far the most disappointing of the three.

It has the most uncomfortable seats and highest amount of road and wind noise from the side windows - yes, higher than the 911 with the excellent lightweight and noise insulated glass option.

More comfortable and relaxing than the RR? No chance.

Sharper and more dynamic to drive than the RR? Sure, will agree with that.

Last edited by BritInSF; 03-04-2023 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2023, 09:21 PM   #40
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInSF View Post
Yeah, I'll take that bet. I have a fully loaded 2022 X7 M50i, a 2023 RR P530, and 2022 992 4 GTS. The X7 is by far the most disappointing of the three.

It has the most uncomfortable seats and highest amount of road and wind noise from the side windows - yes, higher than the 911 with the excellent lightweight and noise insulated glass option.

More comfortable and relaxing than the RR? No chance. Sharper and more dynamic to drive? Sure, will agree with that.
That is unfortunate. Something is wrong with your X7 then with wind noise and there was some reports of this on a few newer builds (Gaps with trim around windshield).

My fully optioned 2020 X7 M50i is THE quietest luxury vehicle I have ever owned even with the sunshade open. I am comparing it to (A8,S8 S class, etc..)
At 75mph there is no wind noise and is so isolating the perceived speed is only visual. It’s so quiet it was unsettling the first few times I took it on longer drives. My 911 is quiet for a sports car and feels rock solid tight but not even in the same zip code of isolation of my X7. I do extensive long distance trips and my X7 has been by far the most comfortable and luxurious.

Comparison between the X7M50i and M760i:
“gap in ride quality between these two is nearly nonexistent with their cushy adaptive air suspensions. We’re going to give the smallest of wins to the M760i for being just a hair more isolated and quieter than the X7 M50i, but the difference is hardly noticeable. Both are among the most comfortable-riding vehicles one can buy today.”

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/21/.../?guccounter=1

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-04-2023 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-04-2023, 11:26 PM   #41
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

My brother picked up his RR P530 3 months ago and we work together and so we swap cars often just for fun but he ended up selling it a month ago for a profit because it was not worth the price of the car. He had the previous Gen model also and leased it at around $1200 a month dealer special so it was worth every penny to him but at 140k after tax finance the payments made no sense to him for the product he got.

With that being said my opinion on it was that The RR P530 is luxurious. It would be ignorant to say it’s not. The engine is smooth and delivers power nicely (shocked BMW engine). Transmission was fine same as ZF. The dynamics and the handling were actually surprisingly great in my opinion for such a big car. The steering was accurate and when cruising very comfortable but when pushing it worked well to do what you wanted. The things I didn’t like were the infotainment system which even though I only use CarPlay it was still slow and lagged and wasn’t user friendly outside of CarPlay. Also I felt as if the interior could have been more luxurious. It was a bit plain to me and there was plastic trim and it just did not feel as plush and WELL-Made as my M5 and not even close to the same stratosphere as my father 23’ S580 which I know isn’t in the same class of vehicle but same msrp and for that price you should feel like you’re getting top of the top luxury.

I don’t have an X7 and have never driven one so I cannot comment on comparing them but the RR to me was a great car overall and I would have one for my wife but not at full msrp which they never really went for until covid. Steep discount like a few years ago - sure. It looks amazing to me and drives great in my opinion.

Either way both great cars!
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13515.00
      03-05-2023, 08:57 AM   #42
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

The X7 will never be as quiet as a RR.
The RR will never ride as sporty as an X7.

We don’t have to trash one because we like the other. They are both fantastic vehicles.

For my particular use case, I want something bigger, more elegant, that can comfortably fit 5 adults without a third row and with much more road presence.

I’ve also owned BMWs for 20+ years and feel they are all same now. There is no “prestigue” from moving up from an X5 to an X7. It’s the same engine, the same interior, the same screens, the same door handles, the same center console, the same goddamn steering wheel. At this point it feels too monotonous. If you are coming from one brand to BMW, it could be exciting. But moving from an M3 to an X5 to an X7, all feels too similar.

The step up to an RR at a minimum would give me a sense of something new.
      03-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #43
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:

The review sums it up well. I want the RR, but the X7 is better. RR knows luxury. It is based on creating desirable products….the X7 also leases better.
Your last phrase hits a huge topic. BMW financial services continues to make desirable lease programs, residuals and Mf’s are still working with the many customers budgets that want these kinds of vehicles. RR leasing is non existent now, and most people (not all) don’t want to have over 2k per month car payments. Just my opinion of course not debating that RR is a desirable vehicle that certain people will pay whatever Land Rover charges.
FCX52380.50
      03-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #44
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Your last phrase hits a huge topic. BMW financial services continues to make desirable lease programs, residuals and Mf’s are still working with the many customers budgets that want these kinds of vehicles. RR leasing is non existent now, and most people (not all) don’t want to have over 2k per month car payments. Just my opinion of course not debating that RR is a desirable vehicle that certain people will pay whatever Land Rover charges.

Another factor we have not discussed but in my rural part of the North East, there are so many older Range Rovers at used Kia bargain price points that they are everywhere like old Navigators or Escalades. These are always at rock bottom prices at every semi low end 3rd party car sales lot obviously purchased stupid cheap at auction. I can’t tell you how many pimped out Range Rovers I see adorned with AutoZone aftermarket parts and unique wheel choices the kids are driving.
The BMW X7 is still so new that they have not yet shown their long term resale value yet or even trickled down much to the secondary market of any volume. Considering the X7 came out in 2019, I still don’t see another one in my area unlike X3’s and a few more G05 X5’s.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-05-2023 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0