BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW announces Frozen Black Metallic X7 Limited Edition

07-12-2021, 03:53 AM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

BMW announces Frozen Black Metallic X7 Limited Edition

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Most of the article focuses on X5 and X6 limited editions also announced, but mentions the X7 as well. Doesn't seem to be any features unique to this limited edition model, other than the Frozen Black Metallic paint, and the 22-inch BMW Individual Y-spoke 758 I alloy wheels in Orbit Grey matt. (which would look great on my Stormtrooper rig)

While not specific, it seems to indicate this is for non-USA markets. The side //M badge is non-USA. You can always ask your dealer, though, if you want this limited edition.

If nothing else, since these will be produced starting next month, they'll ostensibly be MY2022, indicating no outward style changes for the entire MY2022 line of X7's. This lines up with the X7 MY2022 ordering guide indicating no changes other than even more feature and option deletions presumably due to supply chain problems.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...on-plus-bmw-x7

Quote:
Press release
12 July 2021

Individual aura, impressive presence:
BMW X5 and BMW X6 limited editions Black Vermilion plus BMW X7 limited edition in Frozen Black metallic.

Munich.

As spearheads of the BMW X model range, the BMW X5*, BMW X6* and BMW X7* impress with a high level of comfort and luxury, supreme performance and pronounced dynamic handling capabilities. The two Sports Activity Vehicles (SAV) and the Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) combine these attributes with an equally dynamic, elegant and unmistakably distinctive design. New highlights are the BMW X5 and BMW X6 Black Vermilion editions featuring exclusive equipment details. The BMW X7 edition in Frozen Black metallic combines impressive options into an exclusive package.

In 2020 alone and with almost 250,000 units sold worldwide, the SAV/SAC trio from Spartanburg, USA, contributed decisively towards the success of the BMW brand. Around every eighth newly delivered BMW model was a BMW X5, X6 or X7.

All three edition models go on sale with all engines available for each of their original models. They can be ordered with immediate effect, with the market launch beginning in August 2021. Prices in Germany start at 93,200 Euros for the BMW X5 Black Vermilion, 100,700 Euros for the BMW X6 Black Vermilion and 108,700 Euros for the BMW X7 in Frozen Black metallic (each including 19% sales tax).

Particularly striking: BMW X5 and X6 Black Vermilion edition.
The central focus of the Black Vermilion edition is the interplay between the colours black and red. For example, the BMW double kidney grille with model-specific red bars creates an effective contrast to the BMW Individual special paint finish Frozen Black metallic. On the BMW X6 Black Vermilion this visual highlight is expressed in a particularly impressive way in combination with its kidney grille Iconic Glow. The M headlights Shadow Line with BMW laser light, including accented lighting with blue X signature, complete the distinctive look of the front end. Moreover, on the exterior, the M Sport Package emphasises the dynamic character of the BMW X5 and X6 Black Vermilion editions. It comprises, among other things, specific front and rear aprons as well as the M high-gloss Shadow Line with extended options. Behind the Orbit Grey matt, 22-inch, double-spoke 742 M light alloy wheels with mixed tyres designed exclusively for these edition models, red high-gloss M Sport brake callipers stand out as a striking visual highlight.

In the interior of the BMW X5 and BMW X6 Black Vermilion editions the M Alcantara Anthracite roof liner provides for an exceptionally sophisticated ambience. A finely crafted Edition logo on the cupholder cover in BMW Individual black piano finish emphasises the limited model’s exclusiveness.

The glass application Crafted Clarity on the iDrive Controller, the automatic gear selector and Start/Stop button, as well as the BMW Individual precious wood interior trim Fineline Black with aluminium inlays provide additional sophisticated accents. Driver and front seat passenger travel in comfort seats offering a multitude of adjustment options. The BMW Individual full leather trim Merino Black is additionally enhanced by edition-specific red contrast stitching for both the driver’s seat and front passenger seat. Inside the BMW X5 Black Vermilion, the red accents are also to be found on the rear seats. Likewise, the edging on both the front and rear floor mats is finished in red. Sun-protective glass with more deeply tinted rear windows beyond the B-pillar enhances passenger privacy whilst blending in harmoniously with the sporty and dynamic exterior design.

BMW X7 edition in Frozen Black metallic – individual and expressive.
Like the Black Vermilion editions, the new BMW X7 edition also has the BMW Individual special paint finish Frozen Black metallic, dispensing, however, with details in contrasting colour. The BMW M Sport brake callipers of the edition-specific, 22-inch BMW Individual Yspoke 758 I alloy wheels in Orbit Grey matt are finished in high gloss black. Combined with the M Sport Package and the M High Gloss Shadow Line with extended options, it is this colour restraint in particular that make the 5.15-metre long and over 2-metre wide sevenseater look even more impressive. The interior of the BMW X7 edition in Frozen Black metallic provides for an elegantly discreet atmosphere thanks to the M Alcantara Anthracite roof liner, the glass application Crafted Clarity and sun-protection glass.

Just as a comparison, here's the flashiness they're putting on the X5/X6 special editions. Not on the X7. More pics in the press release link above.

And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!

Last edited by Wild Blue; 07-12-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
MystroX56243.00
AZM40i256.50
      07-12-2021, 06:06 AM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Too bad BMW limits the ///M mirror caps to just XM models. They are subtle, but really complete the look of the X7 in M-Sport trim IMHO (which is why I installed them ). Not to mention the mirror caps would further distinguish this X7 variant a bit more from an otherwise M-Sport model with just a different paint job and a few interior bits…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I wonder if any of these models will get the full trim options that are absent for 2021 and 2022 because of parts shortages?? I would imagine, that would pretty much kill any interest in a special edition model if it’s hobbled by limited and reduced standard options.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I wonder if any of these models will get the full trim options that are absent for 2021 and 2022 because of parts shortages?? I would imagine, that would pretty much kill any interest in a special edition model if it's hobbled by limited and reduced standard options.
Possibly, but keep in mind that "most" potential would-be buyers for this limited edition model are attracted to it because it says "limited" in the brochure. Yet many of these would be buyers are typically not as informed as the enthusiast types (like us on the forums) - BMW knows this. So therefore, these would-be buyers don't know what they don't know, and are willing to pay a premium for a lesser vehicle in some respects…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      07-12-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I wonder if any of these models will get the full trim options that are absent for 2021 and 2022 because of parts shortages?? I would imagine, that would pretty much kill any interest in a special edition model if it’s hobbled by limited and reduced standard options.
Some of the X5 and X6 limited edition features yes. According to the press release, not for the X7, though. I had similar thoughts to yours--looking at the X5/X6 interior, for one, they get full black Merino leather (plus the red accent), which was cut from the standard X7, and is not stated as included in the Frozen Black LE X7. Still only full Merino leather for the X7 is the ivory/blue.

Only unique things this LE X7 seems to get are the paint and the wheels in black. Really, I think the only thing I want from this LE X7 model is the wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Possibly, but keep in mind that "most" potential would-be buyers for this limited edition model are attracted to it because it says "limited" in the brochure. Yet many of these would be buyers are typically not as informed as the enthusiast types (like us on the forums) - BMW knows this. So therefore, these would-be buyers don't know what they don't know, and are willing to pay a premium for a lesser vehicle in some respects…
I agree, but we are getting to a point especially in the X5 line that items like base audio are so obvious even if the next potential buyer was moving up market from a loaded Grand Cherokee that has everything at the $60k mark. Your gonna have to assume they are buying the BMW for superior driving experience but even now BMW is taking away drivers options. It’s getting to the point where you’re either a luxury vehicle or you’re not if you can’t deliver a luxury vehicle experience. The new Grand Cherokee L load it up is shockingly well appointed and the non enthusiast will see that. How is Jeep pulling this off or are they going to have to compromise with their new Grand Cherokee with options??

These new BMW “limit edition” models might be a misdirect tactic to take your eyes off how limited the options are. Maybe if you look at the flat black paint job long enough you won’t realize you’re sitting in a vehicle way under equipped??

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-12-2021 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      07-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

seems to be a theme right now (blacked out special editions)

sweet!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Too bad BMW limits the ///M mirror caps to just XM models. They are subtle, but really complete the look of the X7 in M-Sport trim IMHO (which is why I installed them ). Not to mention the mirror caps would further distinguish this X7 variant a bit more from an otherwise M-Sport model with just a different paint job and a few interior bits…
IMO the exterior mirrors dont fit the styling of the non-///M models so im glad they didn't make them part of the build.

Only fitting that Wild bring up this "Limited Edition" as he made several 100 posts about the Dark Shadow Edition which is very similar.
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      07-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Quote:
IMO the exterior mirrors dont fit the styling of the non-///M models so im glad they didn't make them part of the build.

Only fitting that Wild bring up this "Limited Edition" as he made several 100 posts about the Dark Shadow Edition which is very similar.
I agree they would look out of place on the standard or Luxury Line X7, to even include the Alpina variant. But, FWIW the M-Sport body "kit" on the X7, including this limited edition model (which appears to be the same), shares the same "sport" styling of the X3M, X4M, X5M and X6M. I think the only reason BMW did not include the M mirror caps on the X7 w/M-Sport package is because it is not a "true M-car" like the others I mentioned - not even the M50.

This is BMW's way of keeping some distinction between M and non-M models I guess. Although, the M badge (or M performance badge) is more marketing now than it used to be in previous BMW generations…

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #10
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree they would look out of place on the standard or Luxury Line X7, to even include the Alpina variant. But, FWIW the M-Sport body "kit" on the X7, including this limited edition model (which appears to be the same), shares the same "sport" styling of the X3M, X4M, X5M and X6M. I think the only reason BMW did not include the M mirror caps on the X7 w/M-Sport package is because it is not a "true M-car" like the others I mentioned - not even the M50.

This is BMW's way of keeping some distinction between M and non-M models I guess. Although, the M badge (or M performance badge) is more marketing now than it used to be in previous BMW generations…
Front bumper and rear bumper of the ///M model are more aggressive (different) then the M-Sport models as you know and thus the addition of aggressive styled side mirrors. Maybe a gloss black mirror could add distinction to the MSport models. Audi does this with their SQ models with black optics.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Quote:

Front bumper and rear bumper of the ///M model are more aggressive (different) then the M-Sport models as you know and thus the addition of aggressive styled side mirrors. Maybe a gloss black mirror could add distinction to the MSport models. Audi does this with their SQ models with black optics.
Not sure I agree with the more/less aggressiveness of the X7 M-Sport body vs the other XM models - the styling seems essentially the same to me, just minus the ///M mirror caps. But hey, this what forum discussions are all about …..

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #12
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
iND has entered the chat

haha
      07-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #13
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Limited edition indeed… literally :.

Now if they did a loaded 2020 with custom paint and called it a limited edition 2022 it would sell out… but that's not happening anytime soon.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      07-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #14
X7M50_2021
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Some of the X5 and X6 limited edition features yes. According to the press release, not for the X7, though. I had similar thoughts to yours--looking at the X5/X6 interior, for one, they get full black Merino leather (plus the red accent), which was cut from the standard X7, and is not stated as included in the Frozen Black LE X7. Still only full Merino leather for the X7 is the ivory/blue.

Only unique things this LE X7 seems to get are the paint and the wheels in black. Really, I think the only thing I want from this LE X7 model is the wheels
Same here! I wanted to order my vehicle with the wheels in black. Do you know if these can be found aftermarket or from any forum vendors?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7M50_2021 View Post
Same here! I wanted to order my vehicle with the wheels in black. Do you know if these can be found aftermarket or from any forum vendors?
Well, this limited edition is new and doesn't go into production until next month. The wheels haven't been available before in this color. So we can see this fall if the wheels generate a new part number that can be ordered separate from the car itself. May not though. I don't think the wheels from the Dark Shadow can be bought separately.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #16
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just have your wheels powercoated to your color of choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #17
X7M50_2021
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks - finally decided that was the easiest (and cheaper) thing to do. Got them done in gloss black to match my shadowline trim, will share pics later. 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #18
X7M50_2021
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks - finally decided that was the easiest (and cheaper) thing to do. Got them done in gloss black to match my shadowline trim, will share pics later. 👍🏼
Took awhile but finally got everything done (tint: front XPEL XR - 45%, black wheels, PFF) with everything I wanted . Pictures of the vehicles and wheels below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #19
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

looks pretty good!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

That does look very good!

Side note: Anyone know when the Frozen Black LE X7 will be available to order?
Appreciate 0