BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Winter tire and wheel set up

10-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Winter tire and wheel set up

I know this topic has been discussed several times, does anyone have a solution thus far if having 22”. The only options I see is an oem 21” set up with winter tires that will run north of 4K or Tirerack... https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelC...nmetal+Painted
What are your thoughts on these MSW wheels made by OZ and running Bridgestone Blizzak?

Last edited by 4DRS55; 10-22-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRS55 View Post
I know this topic has been discussed several times, does anyone have a solution thus far if having 22”. The only options I see is an oem 21” set up with winter tires that will run north of 4K or Tirerack... https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelC...nmetal+Painted
What are your thoughts on these MSW wheels made by OZ and running Bridgestone Blizzak?
I didn’t see any 22” winter tire options. I almost bought from Tirerack, but for the same price (about $1k per wheel) I got 21” OEM BMW wheels and Blizzaks from my BMW dealer.
Attached Images

10-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

If it were me I'd pick up a set of take off OEM and add winter tires.
Worst case pick up one of the many 20" wheel options available.
There are a good number of winter tires available in the 275or285/50/20 tire size. I'm sure you could put something together for under $2500.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRS55 View Post
I just ordered this same package from Tire Rack yesterday - cost - $2900 and some change which was far less than the crazy expensive price I got from BMW, so we will see what they look like in the flesh when they arrive. By the way the 21 inch Blizzak LM001 RFT is the ONLY winter tire for the BMX X7 that is a runflat tire so if you want to go with a 20 inch wheel you should bear that in mind since they will not be runflats if that is important to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
I just ordered this same package from Tire Rack yesterday - cost - $2900 and some change which was far less than the crazy expensive price I got from BMW, so we will see what they look like in the flesh when they arrive. By the way the 21 inch Blizzak LM001 RFT is the ONLY winter tire for the BMX X7 that is a runflat tire so if you want to go with a 20 inch wheel you should bear that in mind since they will not be runflats if that is important to you.
think this option is on run flats. Continental Winter Contact TS860S SSR

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
OuaAia
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX400h, LCJ200,

OtisX7- that rig looks sick! I've been debating gunmetal vs polish vs satin vs matte black on the rims. Nice choice.

Through the local dealer, online guy, and aftermarket shop, I have been told some variant of the following regarding winter tires:
1) It is easier to find winter tires in 20" and 22" than 21"
2) 20" will handle better in snow/ice, 22" will look better (obv a personal pref)
3) Pirelli Ice and Snow is the only option in 22" (contradicting Point 1)
4) If you get Savini/Vossen/something else AM, special spacers have to be used, but give you more tire options

I know there are a lot of winter tire threads, but fwiw, I've found all to be helpful. Curious who ends up with Blizzaks, Contis and anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuaAia View Post
OtisX7- that rig looks sick! I've been debating gunmetal vs polish vs satin vs matte black on the rims. Nice choice.

Through the local dealer, online guy, and aftermarket shop, I have been told some variant of the following regarding winter tires:
1) It is easier to find winter tires in 20" and 22" than 21"
2) 20" will handle better in snow/ice, 22" will look better (obv a personal pref)
3) Pirelli Ice and Snow is the only option in 22" (contradicting Point 1)
4) If you get Savini/Vossen/something else AM, special spacers have to be used, but give you more tire options

I know there are a lot of winter tire threads, but fwiw, I've found all to be helpful. Curious who ends up with Blizzaks, Contis and anything else.
Yes you’re right — there is a 22” option in the pirelli scorpions. They were a lot more expensive than the 21” Blizzaks based on what I saw.