BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Glass Screen cover for 2023 G07

01-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Glass Screen cover for 2023 G07

I found this glass screen cover for the new IDrive 8 system on the 2023 G07: https://a.co/d/4ZrbPuI

Has anyone tried this yet? Trying to gage how hard it is to install a single piece of glass. They also sell it in two parts, but I really don’t want the line of separation.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

I was thinking of buying it but then I realized that it is “Tempered Glass” it will add glare to the screen so dropped an idea!!

Do let me know if you landed up buying and your experience, any glare issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Why do this? What's the matter with the touch screen as is? It adds nothing but another layer of glass to reflect light and that can break or discolor. It says it is anti smudge, but is that a huge problem under ID8? If you have a problem with the electronics are you going to have a fight with a dealer over warranty? And finally, what happens in an accident to the tempered glass?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
Ritu_o0o
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Why do this? What's the matter with the touch screen as is? It adds nothing but another layer of glass to reflect light and that can break or discolor. It says it is anti smudge, but is that a huge problem under ID8? If you have a problem with the electronics are you going to have a fight with a dealer over warranty? And finally, what happens in an accident to the tempered glass?
It’s for the same purpose like why people put screen protector on phone. I have 4 yrs old she won’t hesitate to throw things if she gets mad!! I’m just trying to protect direct impact if possible!!
But I don’t want to add glare to the screen at the same time
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritu_o0o View Post
It’s for the same purpose like why people put screen protector on phone. I have 4 yrs old she won’t hesitate to throw things if she gets mad!! I’m just trying to protect direct impact if possible!!
But I don’t want to add glare to the screen at the same time
Give her soft things to throw, like teddy bears. Also, 4 year old should be in back seat in a car seat anyhow. But hey, I haven't had a 4 year old in my car in 10 years so maybe I am out of touch.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #6
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

If something gets launched by a 4-year from the middle seats and hits the screen, don’t think a screen protector is going to help.

I would just give the 4-year old less hard edgy things to throw, but know that may not be possible. At least these days many toys are made of plastic versus die-cast metal in my days.

As for the screen protector, another reason would be to prevent scratches, but think screen tech has gotten to a point where that isn’t an issue anymore unless you jammed your hands into beach sand and then decide to navigate the 100 or so idrive 8 menus.
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      01-07-2023, 11:06 PM   #7
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X View Post
I found this glass screen cover for the new IDrive 8 system on the 2023 G07: https://a.co/d/4ZrbPuI

Has anyone tried this yet? Trying to gage how hard it is to install a single piece of glass. They also sell it in two parts, but I really don’t want the line of separation.
I like screen protectors for piece of mind from scratches and easiness of cleaning. I've looked into getting it for my 21 but haven't pulled the trigger. The gloss would definitely bother me but there's no way to tell unless you try it. Not a huge purchase and if it's through Amazon its an easy return.
Appreciate 0