E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Power loss on acceleration

05-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
nhs275
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi 6MT, SP, PP, CW, Xenon

Power loss on acceleration

Hello -

I've been a reader of this forum for several months. I own a 2006 325xi 6MT, sport, premium, cold weather, xenon that I've had 6 weeks and have put on 1,800 miles.

I'd like to know if anybody else has had this problem:

On moderate to hard acceleration (say up a freeway onramp), my car exhibits a missing/surging behavior at engine rpm above 3,000 with half to full throttle. It is very noticeable both in feel and in sound with an obvious power loss. It goes away when the throttle is closed and a gear change is made ... but comes back with application of throttle.

The car has thrown no codes, and the dealer found nothing wrong. The car does this in the morning (I've got about a 4 mile ride on surface streets before the freeway) but it doesn't always do it later in the day when it is warmer.

The service director at the dealer suggested running a couple of tanks of mid-grade gasoline to see if this cures the car ...

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

nhs275, Reno NV.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs275
The service director at the dealer suggested running a couple of tanks of mid-grade gasoline to see if this cures the car ...
What gas are you using now?
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 02:53 AM   #3
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Surely you should already be using top grade gas?

I would only use 98octane, worth the extra.
      05-10-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

^ Agreed

Though, I think the Americans have a different RON number for 98 OCtane
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

The highest we have here in America is 93, but I do belive the rating is calculated differently

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

in calif the highest pump octane available is 91. Which, I believe is the equivalent of 95 RON in Europe/Australia.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
thesandman27
The Sandman
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Hello -

I've been a reader of this forum for several months. I own a 2006 325xi 6MT, sport, premium, cold weather, xenon that I've had 6 weeks and have put on 1,800 miles.

On moderate to hard acceleration (say up a freeway onramp), my car exhibits a missing/surging behavior at engine rpm above 3,000 with half to full throttle. It is very noticeable both in feel and in sound with an obvious power loss. It goes away when the throttle is closed and a gear change is made ... but comes back with application of throttle.

The car has thrown no codes, and the dealer found nothing wrong. The car does this in the morning (I've got about a 4 mile ride on surface streets before the freeway) but it doesn't always do it later in the day when it is warmer.

nhs275, Reno NV.
I have this EXACT same problem, and I believe it's been reported on other threads as well. However, no one seems to know what the issue is. I have a 330i, 6MT - and right when I get to 3000 RPM, power "drops" / gets sluggish, until just under 4500 RPM when the engine really takes off.

So, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I wonder if any of the software updates have fixed this?

Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Beige Leather - Steptronic w/ paddle shifters -
Sport Package - Premium Package - Heated Seats - iDrive - 35%/20% tint
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Yeah it sounds like timing is getting pulled for some reason. If you're not using US premium (91-93 octane R+M/2) then you should be. if you are, try switching stations or brands.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
nhs275
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies -

I'm on my sixth tank of fuel, one tank of unknown fuel from the dealer, three tanks of Chevron premium 91 octane, and two tanks of Shell premium 91 octane. Our octane rating may be different than elsewhere in the country because of our altitude (5,000 ft).

The service director said to try mid-grade fuel, which is 89 octane here because he thought that the premium grade has an excess of ethanol which causes this problem.

However, the information that I've found for Chevron/Shell fuels is that the base stock gasoline must not have less than 8.0% or more than 10.0% ethanol. So octane is apparently adjusted with other organics (like Toulene). From this, I don't think that the Service Director's suggestion will produce a change in my car's behavior.

Another piece of the puzzle, the car runs rough at cold idle, but with throttle smooths right out.

Turning off DSC has no effect (neither does turning on DTC).

If the power loss were constant it wouldn't be so noticeable, but when it does this on acceleration, whatever is going on comes and goes rapidly and produces a bucking/surging effect from repeated power loss/power recovery cycles. Not the 'ultimate driving experience' I'm expecting from my purchase ...!

One last thing - The mechanic thought, and later was emphatic about this, that the 325 engine has an intake runner length system that is similar to the 330 engine, except that the 325 runner has two length settings. The long runner is set between idle and about 3500 and the short runner above about 3500. I pointed out to him that the build sheet clearly says 'single stage intake' on the 325 and 'three stage intake' on the 330, but he stuck to his story. He was hypothesizing that the control hardware/software for the intake runner length change device may have a problem, hence the weird behavior at about 3500 rpm. While the mechanics hypothesis sounds good, I really don't think that the 325 has anything other than a constant length runner intake manifold, but I haven't seen a drawing of it. Have any of you?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Try using BP. I have always recieved the best in performance as well as MPG when using BP.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

I would bring it to the dealership and drive the car with them in it. It may be as simple as you needing a new air filter.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Thanks for the replies -

I'm on my sixth tank of fuel, one tank of unknown fuel from the dealer, three tanks of Chevron premium 91 octane, and two tanks of Shell premium 91 octane. Our octane rating may be different than elsewhere in the country because of our altitude (5,000 ft).

The service director said to try mid-grade fuel, which is 89 octane here because he thought that the premium grade has an excess of ethanol which causes this problem.
At 5000 ft and 91 octane you probably have an excess of octane. Need for octane level in fuel decreases at higher altitudes since the mean effective pressure of the engine drops, along with the risk of detonation, which lowers the need for octane to fight detonation. I'd follow the SA's advice and try mid-grade fuel and see if it helps. His advice may have been right, just the reasoning wrong.

Quote:
Another piece of the puzzle, the car runs rough at cold idle, but with throttle smooths right out.

Turning off DSC has no effect (neither does turning on DTC).
I've heard of other 2006 N52B30 guys reporting rough cold idle, so this may be the same as what other people have been experiencing. Could be a lot of different things.

Quote:
If the power loss were constant it wouldn't be so noticeable, but when it does this on acceleration, whatever is going on comes and goes rapidly and produces a bucking/surging effect from repeated power loss/power recovery cycles. Not the 'ultimate driving experience' I'm expecting from my purchase ...!

One last thing - The mechanic thought, and later was emphatic about this, that the 325 engine has an intake runner length system that is similar to the 330 engine, except that the 325 runner has two length settings. The long runner is set between idle and about 3500 and the short runner above about 3500. I pointed out to him that the build sheet clearly says 'single stage intake' on the 325 and 'three stage intake' on the 330, but he stuck to his story. He was hypothesizing that the control hardware/software for the intake runner length change device may have a problem, hence the weird behavior at about 3500 rpm. While the mechanics hypothesis sounds good, I really don't think that the 325 has anything other than a constant length runner intake manifold, but I haven't seen a drawing of it. Have any of you?
A rapid buck/surge is a positive action. Usually this is timing retard/advance from knocking, or something similar, but you're at 5000 ft, already have 91 octane, the engine is not tuned "that" aggressively, so you shouldn't be getting any detonation. It could be a bad or loose knock sensor that's either picking up something that it thinks is knock but isn't, or the sensor is just bad. Or maybe there's a legitimate engine problem (bad plug, coil, etc).

I don't buy the intake manifold actuator theory because for one, all literature I've ever seen for the 325 says a fixed geometry intake. I've also seen a dyno for an E90 325 and the torque curve was very smooth and didn't suggest any sort of manifold switchover like you can clearly see on other engines with them. Also, a stuck actuator wouldn't produce the rapid buck/surge you're feeling. If it does though, and it was stuck in the high-RPM position you might have a rough cold idle, and low-end power would be extremely weak, but it wouldn't produce a buck/surge. If it was stuck in low-RPM position idle should be fine and low-end should be fine, but your top-end will stink. But again, no buck/surge from this. If the actuator came loose and is just sorta floating around, you'd certainly have some erratic behavior but it wouldn't be as positive of an action as what you're feeling. So I don't buy the mechanic's theory.

The fact that it only happens above 3000 rpm, and only on moderate to hard acceleration ( > 50% throttle) tells me that the phenomenon is probably restricted to the open-loop mode where the engine is running richer with lamda=0.8-0.9 (vs 1.0 for stoichiometric, or >1 for lean burn). Not sure how these engines are setup exactly, but all engines have "maps" for various modes of operation depending on load and RPM and other things, and what you're describing sound like it's specifically happening in one particular map range. If it was a variable intake setup you would probably feel it all the time, including at less than 50% throttle. But you feel it only above 50% throttle.

And that's about as far as I can go here. I'm new to BMWs so I'm not familiar with the engine issues, but it could be a lot of different things. Bad MAF, bad coils, bad plugs, bad O2's, or maybe even a faulty injector. Dunno. Helps if you have an OBD-II/CAN bus scanner and could log some data.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #13
wongmb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SP

Quote:
Hello -

nhs275, Reno NV.
I have exactly the same problem. When I took it to a dealer for a test drive, that behavior DID NOT show up. :mad: The mechanic said it could be the DSC just kick in very slightly (thus no light indicator on dash) which I dont buy completely.
Like you its very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear and happened when >50% to full throttle, and rpm between 3500-4000.
And sometimes it just goes away after driven for a while.
As far as I can remember, it never has this problem until the sortware update 3.19 or some number like that.
So far I cant do anything about it and am annoyed by that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

I've had all kinds of inconsistent power delivery for my entire ownership experience (one year). I have NOT been very satisfied with my purchase. I expected great things from a normally-aspirated 3.0 liter from BMW having come only from turbo-charged cars before. This engine is more erratic than my prior turbos!!!! They've never been able to replicate the problem. It is very inconsistent and often subtle, so its been impossible for them to track. Blah.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #15
nhs275
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the great replies, all great ideas.

When I visited the dealer for this problem, I ended up going for a ride with a mechanic, but they set it up at 5:00 and we were not able to do much full throttle work in rush hour traffic. In short, we couldn't replicate my problem.

If running 89 octane does not solve the problem as suggested by the service director, I'll set up another visit with the dealer where I'll leave the car there overnight, and then go for a ride in the morning with a mechanic and his computer plugged into my car. Hopefully this will provide the data to track down the problem and solve it.

I'll keep you posted. It'll take two to three weeks to run two tanks of mid-grade through the car (no out-of-town trips planned, too much work to do).

In the meantime, here is the website where I got the information about base stock fuels that I think you'll find interesting:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Also, for those in the Reno area, I had the engine oil and filter changed as part of my visit to the dealer, and the cost was $69, FYI.

nhs275, Reno NV
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #16
wongmb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SP

Keep us posted.
Its hard to imagine 89 Octane will fix the problem.
Its supposed to demand premium fuel and I have been feeding it Octane 91 and 92 since new.
If it hesistate with 91+, I can only imagine it gets worse at 89.

hopefully your mechanic can pinpoint the problem and I will take your findings to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #17
nhs275
United_States
Rep

Two tanks of mid-grade burned, same problem

Following the suggestion of my dealerships SM, I've burned two tanks of mid-grade through my 2006 325xi. One tank of Shell, one of Chevron (both top-tier grade gasolines, see today's 'ethanol' post).

My surging/missing on acceleration problem is still there, and might be worse. It certainly isn't better.

If BMWNA techs read this post, I'd like some guidance on what to do about this problem. The car isn't running like a 40K sports sedan should. In the meantime, I am going to inform the dealership SM of the results of this 'experiment' and will suggest that it is time for BMW NA tech support to get involved.

Have any of the rest of you with a similar problem made any progress toward a solution? If the problem really were ethanol, then how come everybody burning Chevron/Shell like me doesn't also have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #18
dvhees0
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90

Had the same problem with my 320 DIESEL!! I went to my dealer with it and they came with a solution. It was a "known' problem. In this garage it was the 3th car since the E90 was out.

The problem wat an electronisch connection (something with wires) between the connection of the pedal to the turbo. They asked me to bring in my car for a day and they solved the problem immediatly.

Now... full power without exception.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 05:50 AM   #19
Thavash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 320i Red

Garage List
2018 BMW 320M  [0.00]
2005 320i  [0.00]
Same thing here on the 320i petrol. It's very irritating in traffic when you want to overtake and suddenly have no power. When I took the car in for the first service , I mentioned it and they said they could find nothing wrong. It doesn't matter if I use 93 or 05 octane gas.

I initially thought it had something to do with the drive-by- wire throttle ( as in you want to accelerate hard but it doesn't send the right signal to the engine ). Too bad my dealer couldn't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
shoread
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE Saloon

I have same problem with my 325i E90. Dealer can find no fault codes, appears to have no ideas other than updating car's management software. This has been done, but I still have the problem. In my case, its usually around the 3000rpm mark. Next step, I will write to Customer Service in the UK. I'm gettingn fed up with the "we can't find anything wrong" line from the dealer, when it's clearer not as progressive in alleration deliveyr as my old E46 was.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
one3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Same here. Have a 325i (3.0L Canadian version with 6 spd manual).
Haven't taken to dealer yet as I didn't know if this was a problem or a 'feature' ... but now after reading the posts I think I'll book an appointment and see what they say.

-----------------------
2006 BMW 325i
-----------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #22
dkizerian
Digital Ruler
Rep
Drives: 325i AW/Terra

Anyone had any luck? I've had a similar problem, but it's only appeared once on the street, and a WHOLE BUNCH when I was doing a drivers training on a track. I've heard one suggestion that the HFM (air meter in the intake) might be overheating, and sending an erratic signal to the ECU, although the shop that told me this might be the problem had seen the same problem on a track car, and was able to pull a code on it.

I've made a ghetto heat sheild for the engine side of my airbox, and the HFM and intake tube, and will be running the car on track in 95+ degree weather this friday. If this has solved the problem, I will probably remove the shield and see if it returns imediately, and go from there....
Appreciate 0