BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 M50i Roaring Sound Under Hood When Coasting

12-14-2023, 02:53 PM   #23
ApexTK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2024 M440ix GC

Add me to having the same issue with the front differential. Started about two months ago ('21, m50i, about 47K). Same subtle whining noise that was only noticeable by the front driver. Took it to the dealership but they could not pinpoint where the issue was coming from but indicated that it might be tire issue because the tire showed a little wear on the outer edge.

Wasn't really convinced that an alignment would cause that kind of noise. (Plus the tire wear pattern was not that bad) Thank god I came across this thread and immediately set up another appointment as my warranty was going to hit the 50K mark soon.

I have a really good SA and through his suggestions, we were able to diagnose a bad front differential and they had it replaced under warranty. Whining noise was finally gone. Asked him roughly how much it would cost and he estimated $7-8K; dodged that bullet, whew....
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      12-14-2023, 05:34 PM   #24
wonhee0216
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Hi, fir the guys having a issue, can you take a video of the whining noise and post ? I have 21 m50i with 11K miles on it, and I'm hearing some noise coming from either front dashboard or the engine. Can't figure out what it is. It's only on low speed at local and haven't noticed yet on a highway yet. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 01:59 AM   #25
Drleo88
Rep
Drives: corvette c8

My 2020 X7 M50 , cpo , started making the same roaring grinding noise for few weeks to months- at 42000 miles
Last week i started smelling something burning,
Appointment was 2 weeks out,
Day 3 As I was making a turn on an alley i hear a loud noise beneath the engine and the wheels started experiencing some friction- i got it towed to service center- waiting to hear,
From reading all the above seems like the differential is probably broke,
Surprised to see so many complain about the same issue in this thread,
Hoping I at-least get a decent loaner
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:05 AM   #26
ApexTK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2024 M440ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonhee0216 View Post
Hi, fir the guys having a issue, can you take a video of the whining noise and post ? I have 21 m50i with 11K miles on it, and I'm hearing some noise coming from either front dashboard or the engine. Can't figure out what it is. It's only on low speed at local and haven't noticed yet on a highway yet. Thanks in advance!
Can’t take a video as the problem is already fixed. However since it was a subtle sound, I don’t know if a video would pick it up. In my case, you could only really hear it from 25-40 miles a hour and was more distinct on freshly paved asphalt. It was a whining noise that changed it’s pitch with speed. At highway speeds the tire noise would drown out the whining noise. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:54 PM   #27
MPower10s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Garage List
My front diff was just replaced under warranty last week. Glad it’s finally resolved. 33k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #28
FromFargo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, G05 x40i, G07 x50i Msp

One of the reasons I liked the idea of a used i50 vs the M50 is that there is no “launch mode”, not knowing how many launches the PO had done. Not saying the front diff issue won’t flare up for me too, but seems like more M50 drivers are reporting the issue?

On a related note, I do have a noise when coasting, but I think I’ve narrowed it down to the alternator. The sound isn’t apparent in the cabin but with windows down it will happen at lower speeds only when the alternator light on the MPG gauge comes on. I haven’t taken it in yet but will report back if this is the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 06:17 PM   #29
gotzillar
Private
Rep
Drives: 992S,X7M50i,EV6,TaycanGTS ST

Mine just got replaced yesterday. We never launched the car and it seems like it's the same part across all X7s.

Here is the part number got replaced on our X7 m50i with only 31k miles.
https://www.bmwpartsnow.com/oem-part...ly-31507934393
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:26 PM   #30
GarrettYan6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
That sounds similar to an issue I had with my 2020 M50i. Taking off it made a sound like an electrical motor bushing growling and at approximately 40 mph it would just go silent. It wound up being the front differential pinion bearing. Took over 6 months to find and the dealer changed the transfer case first, then thought it was a turbo, then the pinion started leaking and the noise got very loud. May suggest that the dealer inspect the pinion bearing.
The exact same thing happened to my X7. I heard some noise and I took it to the dealer two weeks ago, and they suspected the issue was with the transfer case. However, before they could repair the transfer case, the noise became unbearably loud one day, and I had to tow the car back to the dealership, where we discovered oil leaking from underneath the car. Now, the dealer is fixing the front differential, which is covered by warranty. I'm not sure if they will replace the transfer case at the same time; from our conversation, it seems they want to replace the front differential first and only replace the transfer case if the noise persists. I am curious—has the noise ever returned after the repair in your case? Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:32 PM   #31
GarrettYan6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTK-421 View Post
Add me to having the same issue with the front differential. Started about two months ago ('21, m50i, about 47K). Same subtle whining noise that was only noticeable by the front driver. Took it to the dealership but they could not pinpoint where the issue was coming from but indicated that it might be tire issue because the tire showed a little wear on the outer edge.

Wasn't really convinced that an alignment would cause that kind of noise. (Plus the tire wear pattern was not that bad) Thank god I came across this thread and immediately set up another appointment as my warranty was going to hit the 50K mark soon.

I have a really good SA and through his suggestions, we were able to diagnose a bad front differential and they had it replaced under warranty. Whining noise was finally gone. Asked him roughly how much it would cost and he estimated $7-8K; dodged that bullet, whew....
I guess an extended warranty is a must for this car..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 02:16 PM   #32
twesslen
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Just had mine go out in 2020 X7 M50i. Out of warranty @ 78k miles. Dealer tried to get BMW factory assistance on cost but was told no. Seems like front diff should last longer than this. Crazy $$ to fix. For what I paid for this car seems like it should last a bit longer. Frustrated. Anywhere I can complain more to get some response from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 02:48 PM   #33
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twesslen View Post
Just had mine go out in 2020 X7 M50i. Out of warranty @ 78k miles. Dealer tried to get BMW factory assistance on cost but was told no. Seems like front diff should last longer than this. Crazy $$ to fix. For what I paid for this car seems like it should last a bit longer. Frustrated. Anywhere I can complain more to get some response from BMW.
How much, if you don’t mind me asking? Helps me figure out the cost/reward of getting extended warranty for my M60i (granted I don’t know the true failure rate).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:23 PM   #34
MPower10s
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoiltuna View Post
How much, if you don’t mind me asking? Helps me figure out the cost/reward of getting extended warranty for my M60i (granted I don’t know the true failure rate).
I was told around $7k when mine was replaced but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:44 PM   #35
vahday
Rep

This is insane...I had the exact same thing happen to my M50i in Feb this year. Grinding noise when letting off the throttle, started smelling a burning oil smell, took it in and they replace the front diff under warranty (luckily). 3000 miles later (yesterday), I'm driving down the interstate, start to feel a vibration under the floor and in the steering wheel...then it sounds like a bag full of hammers let go under my car. I pull over and look under the car...dark fluid is just pouring out. Car is currently at the dealership...at first glance (not on lift), the foreman is saying something failed in the driveshaft. Interestingly enough, I have tried to have the tires balanced on this car three times in the last 6 months because of a vibration that occurs at highway speeds...really noticeable in the rear captains chairs. Now I'm wondering is it connected...crazy. I love this car...but, now I'm not sure if I can trust to drive it on a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 02:20 PM   #36
vahday
Rep

Not sure anyone is reading this post, but, for completeness...apparently, when the front diff was replaced, the bolts were not tightened appropriately. This caused the driveshaft to eventually let loose and knock a hole about the size of a quarter in the upper oil pan, in addition to several cracks. Hope others have better luck with their front diff repair.

Last edited by vahday; 04-16-2024 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 04:02 PM   #37
smjtri
United_States
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahday View Post
Not sure anyone is reading this post, but, for completeness...apparently, when the front diff was replaced, the bolts were not tightened appropriately. This caused the driveshaft to eventually let loose and knock a hole about the size of a quarter in the upper oil pan, in addition to several cracks. Hope others have better luck with their front diff repair.
Are they covering it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:46 AM   #38
lumbrjackedpcj
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB / 2022 X7 M50i

Is this primarily happening to the M50i's? Mileage seems to be all over the place as well when it's happening. Between the front diff and transfer case.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 05:00 PM   #39
twesslen
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbrjackedpcj View Post
Is this primarily happening to the M50i's? Mileage seems to be all over the place as well when it's happening. Between the front diff and transfer case.

Thank you,
Add me to the list. 2020 X7 M50i. About 73k miles. Front diff shot. Could hear noise at low speeds when slightly applying gas or when taking foot off of gas: Think parking lot speeds. Metal shavings in diff fluid. Unfortunately I was out of warranty. cost was about 7k but also included lower tension arm bushing replacement at the same time. The dealer said another was in the shop at the same time for rear diff. Seems more common than anyone would want. Hope my anecdote is helpful for someone.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:02 PM   #40
vahday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjtri View Post
Are they covering it under warranty?
Yes, covered under warranty...front diff happened around 44k...loose driveshaft at 49k. They are also extending my powertrain warranty since the hole they put in the oil pan was their fault...not sure how many miles of extension yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:56 AM   #41
nothingelse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xdrive40i, BMW X7 M50I

Add me to the list 2021 M50i, bought CPO in January and just hit 37k miles. Noticed the whining sound this week as well while driving with the radio off. I shall be sharing this thread with them!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #42
nothingelse
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xdrive40i, BMW X7 M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingelse View Post
Add me to the list 2021 M50i, bought CPO in January and just hit 37k miles. Noticed the whining sound this week as well while driving with the radio off. I shall be sharing this thread with them!
Dropped off this morning to have it checked. Dealer called and said they ordered a new differential as it is bad. Very disappointed that it failed at only 37k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:32 PM   #43
MPower10s
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingelse View Post
Dropped off this morning to have it checked. Dealer called and said they ordered a new differential as it is bad. Very disappointed that it failed at only 37k miles.
I agree. I'll likely get another one when this one is EOL so don't want to deal with this again on another car.
Appreciate 0