BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2019 X7 Brakes - Advice Pls.

07-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Gorillamunch
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xiT

2019 X7 Brakes - Advice Pls.

In May my 2019 X7's computer told me my front brakes needed replacing. At that time I had 45000 kms on the vehicle (I drive mostly highway). I dropped it at the dealer (Vancouver BC) and they said parts would be a week. May invoice said "fronts at low pad sensor", rear at 6mm.

Two and a half months later and I am still waiting for parts.

Since then, i had about a month of the replacement warning, then installed the software update and the warning went away. Now the vehicle says I have 3,600km to front brake replacement. Service advisor has been non-committal and basically now avoids me.

Any thoughts? I am curious is the brake sensor actually gauges what is left on the pads, or whether it is simply mileage based. At this point I am sensing bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

1) You should be able to visually inspect pad thickness by just looking behind your wheels.
2) the i-drive brake warning in idrive is calculated
3) brake pads have a wire that gets severed once below a certain thickness, which will illuminate the parking "BRAKE" lamp and can not be turned off until the wire is replaced or shorted. This is the point when you have to replace.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 bmw 750 li , 2019 bmw x7 4o

I was literally coming to write a post about me not being able to find msport brake pads anywhere and my car says 2500 miles remaining. Would even put after market brakes at this point but still no luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
TexasJester
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

OK gang, some of you’ll are gonna need to brace yourselves for this. Not just now but most especially in our new world. Dealerships don’t have inventory to sell but their bills still have to be paid. This means the shop has to turn a even bigger set of numbers. Service writers have always made car salesmen look like honest Abe. But today if I looked at the clock and it said 12 and they said it was noon I’d have to see the sun before I’d believe them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillamunch View Post
In May my 2019 X7's computer told me my front brakes needed replacing. At that time I had 45000 kms on the vehicle (I drive mostly highway). I dropped it at the dealer (Vancouver BC) and they said parts would be a week. May invoice said "fronts at low pad sensor", rear at 6mm.

Two and a half months later and I am still waiting for parts.

Since then, i had about a month of the replacement warning, then installed the software update and the warning went away. Now the vehicle says I have 3,600km to front brake replacement. Service advisor has been non-committal and basically now avoids me.

Any thoughts? I am curious is the brake sensor actually gauges what is left on the pads, or whether it is simply mileage based. At this point I am sensing bullshit.
Wait until they tell you your rotors need to be replaced as well and can't find those either. I started a thread a couple months ago on my first break job fiasco
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:33 AM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Wait until they tell you your rotors need to be replaced as well and can't find those either. I started a thread a couple months ago on my first break job fiasco
How many miles did you have on your X7 before you needed new brakes? So, what recourse do we have if they can't get parts and need brakes? Park the car and sue BMW for not providing parts on wear items?

I have 30K on my X7 and I'm pretty frugal on brakes but this is a big vehicle. This concerns me as I know I will need brakes at some point. Maybe soon.

What was the end result of your brake fiasco?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 bmw 750 li , 2019 bmw x7 4o

I have the msport brakes and 26000 miles. I was able to get my hands on the fronts yesterday. $477 with a sensor. This my 1st time buying brakes for a car this price range. Because I always managed to get rid of them before things like that wear out. And I can't believe that it cost this much. And I am installing myself because thankfully I know how. But I can see a brake job with pads and rotors being about $2k. Which is insane. But probably not BMW insane
Appreciate 0