BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum OUR NEW RIDE(s) - Good/bad/Congrats??!!

03-08-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

OUR NEW RIDE(s) - Good/bad/Congrats??!!

So, we made some changes to our fleet. Some of you know that've been looking for a loaded 7-series M760 for some time (well, I have a surprise, things have changed a bit)

During the past 15 months until ~2-week ago: We had a 2019 530e, 2019 X7 50i M-Sport, and 2022 X7 M50i.

What new:
  • Sold: We solid the 2019 530e and we sold the 2022 X7. We kept the 2019 X7 .
  • New toys: W222 Mercedes S560 4-Matic (replacing one X7); and pre-lci BMW X5 xDrive 40i (replacing the 530e).

Spec's of our new cars:
1. BMW X5 xDrive 40i (April 2020 build):
  • Drive assist Pro; Luxury seating package; Executive package (including Panoramic Sky Lounge, Adaptive laser headlights, wireless charging, Front and Rear Heated seats; Heated armrests, cooled+massage seats, parking assist plus). We didn't find B&W, but we got the HK sound system which I personally liked.
  • This time being an in-town, short-medium trips, family/kids/school vehicle, we made sure to get the bench seat and darker interior!
  • Seats are different than all our previous cars: Coffee Extended Merino Leather (aka: dark interior).
  • So far, we love it; it's drives like a quick/light easy-to-push SUV.
2. The big boy, Mercedes S560 4-Matic (W222):
  • After serious thinking, I decided to get the S560 instead of M760. I wanted to prioritize comfort and luxury over sportiness, and I honestly wanted some diversity in our fleet now and I miss the MBenz ownership experience.
  • Car is highly highly highly optioned, and specs are awesome/rare, got it from a car enthusiast and businessman who have had S-class cars for the past 20-30 years.
    - Former owner never used rear seats, all accessories are still in their factory plastic wraps (remote controls/batteries/headphones/etc). Car smells new. Took me 6-months of search for max/loaded S560/M760.
    -Packages that worth mentioning:
  • <<$50,445 USD in added packages/options:>>
  • AMG Line exterior $5,900
  • Designo Semi-Aniline Leather $6,500
  • Magic Sky Control: $4,950
  • Burmester HighEnd 3D Surround Sound System: $6,400
  • Night-vision Assist plus: $,2,260
  • Headup Display: $1,110
  • Heated front Windshield glass: $550
  • Rear Seat Entertainment: $2,650
  • Rear Seat Package (Chaffeur package +4-zone AC+footrest): $1,700
  • Pre-Safe Rear Seat Package: Belt Buckles+Seat belt airbags: $1,300
  • Executive Rear Seat Package (Massage+recliner+foot rest)" $3,500
  • Rear/Front seats+armrests+steeting + power rear seats recliner with memory "Warmth and Comfort" pckg: $2,600
  • Premium Pckg (Surround view/massage/multincour seats+Air balance): $3,750
  • Drive Assistance: $2,250

Now am leaving you with some pictures of the S560 as I was more excited about it than the X5 for now (probably nobody here cares about MBenz, but who knows, knowing myself soon this will be gone and a new toy will come in (M760i? will see). As a car enthusiast, typically my cars last 1-1.5 years which is why I always go with pre-owned low mileage, and in many cases, I buy from private owners when I can.

Would love to hear your thoughts. If you like the switch I made let me know, if you dislike it, feel free to criticize too (really) or talk trash about it - it will go away one-day so am never emotionally connected to my toys but would love to hear from u.

** Bad editing in some photos for personal privacy
*** So sorry, I know this is a BMW community and nobody cares about MBenz, but I love the community here and just wanted to share my toy given the demography of car enthusiasts here. I should have posted X5 photos, but the Benz for now is the one getting special treatment.
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW5and7; 07-15-2023 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 8
      03-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #2
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Yeah that's definite luxury on the benz. Wow @ those rear seats.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71062.50
      03-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #3
srisri
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i, 2023 X7 40i

Garage List
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Congratulations. Nice pics.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71062.50
      03-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

WOW! Congrats...it's a beautiful car
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71062.50
      03-08-2023, 12:57 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I totally get it. I adore the color of your Benz. One of my wife and I favorite colors for a vehicle. Luxury can not be denied once it’s a priority. Then you miss all the attention to details and little things if it’s not there in another vehicle. You can’t explain that to others without sounding like a eccentric.

FYI: Once you get use to night vision, you will always want it. It’s such a useful tool to have and even fun to use it in other ways. I could tell my garage drink refrigerator had a seal leaking on one side of the door with my X7 night vision. I also would pull out into my fields and look at the deer. Ultra foggy nights on my mountain road when I couldn’t even see the middle line, the night vision could see right through the fog and I could drive by the screen alone if I had to.
Appreciate 3
BMW5and71062.50
supdes48.00
djbonsu113.00
      03-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #6
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I totally get it. I adore the color of your Benz. One of my wife and I favorite colors for a vehicle. Luxury can not be denied once it’s a priority. Then you miss all the attention to details and little things if it’s not there in another vehicle. You can’t explain that to others without sounding like a eccentric.

FYI: Once you get use to night vision, you will always want it. It’s such a useful tool to have and even fun to use it in other ways. I could tell my garage drink refrigerator had a seal leaking on one side of the door with my X7 night vision. I also would pull out into my fields and look at the deer. Ultra foggy nights on my mountain road when I couldn’t even see the middle line, the night vision could see right through the fog and I could drive by the screen alone if I had to.
Was looking forward to seeing a comment from you. I appreciate it.

My previous S-class was the Silver Palladium Metallic (slightly lighter than this one). Those two colors are my fav colors on the S-class as they are the only colors that will show the muscular body lines and 3D geometry of the panels. Darker colors on the S-class would either make it look smaller or hide the lines and body geometry.

As for night vision, it was very hard to find. But, I agree, I use it 100% of the time as the auto-display-theme for night-time driving. It flashed people and animals. There is a park and ton of deer (deer*s) in my area. In the past 5 years, I hit 2 deer in my area (all with no night vision cars), and night-vision on some of my cars had flashed at least 6-7 times and likely saved me from hitting them (camera can capture them from very very far distance).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Was looking forward to seeing a comment from you. I appreciate it.

My previous S-class was the Silver Palladium Metallic (slightly lighter than this one). Those two colors are my fav colors on the S-class as they are the only colors that will show the muscular body lines and 3D geometry of the panels. Darker colors on the S-class would either make it look smaller or hide the lines and body geometry.

As for night vision, it was very hard to find. But, I agree, I use it 100% of the time as the auto-display-theme for night-time driving. It flashed people and animals. There is a park and ton of deer (deer*s) in my area. In the past 5 years, I hit 2 deer in my area (all with no night vision cars), and night-vision on some of my cars had flashed at least 6-7 times and likely saved me from hitting them (camera can capture them from very very far distance).
I think you chose wisely. Brilliant choice on the RSE. Another ultra luxury must have.
Just play around with what you can do with the night vision like a new toy. Once you know it’s strengths and limitations, it really becomes a asset. I keep my night vision up as a split screen with my map. I also have it set up as a split screen with my media. It’s very “aviation cockpit” like feeling.

My son is going to be driving soon so we are giving him my wife’s A4 s-line and she wants a small/mid SUV. I am thinking anything from a X3 to a Cayenne base. We will probably go ultra low mileage CPO. It’s going to live outside. My fleet of vehicles lives inside.

FYI: Coming Merino Ivory on my last X5, you need Sonax Leather kit. The leather cleaner is foamy and does wonders with removing any clouding, smudges or slight staining on ivory leather. Your leather will glow afterwards. You can easily spot clean with as you see them. I kept my ivory leather like new when it was traded in for my current X7M50i.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/sona...ather-kit.html

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-08-2023 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71062.50
jphcbpa314.50
      03-08-2023, 04:31 PM   #8
nicboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530

Would you mind share how much of the gain/loss during your each buy/sale for your toy enjoyment?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:35 PM   #9
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

This looks amazing. Would be awesome to do a long road trip in that backseat! Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #10
2024X7M60i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

Beautiful car! Best of luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 07:24 AM   #11
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
This looks amazing. Would be awesome to do a long road trip in that backseat! Enjoy it.
It’s happening this weekend, for a short 4-hrs drive with winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 07:29 AM   #12
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think you chose wisely. Brilliant choice on the RSE. Another ultra luxury must have.
Just play around with what you can do with the night vision like a new toy. Once you know it’s strengths and limitations, it really becomes a asset. I keep my night vision up as a split screen with my map. I also have it set up as a split screen with my media. It’s very “aviation cockpit” like feeling.

My son is going to be driving soon so we are giving him my wife’s A4 s-line and she wants a small/mid SUV. I am thinking anything from a X3 to a Cayenne base. We will probably go ultra low mileage CPO. It’s going to live outside. My fleet of vehicles lives inside.

FYI: Coming Merino Ivory on my last X5, you need Sonax Leather kit. The leather cleaner is foamy and does wonders with removing any clouding, smudges or slight staining on ivory leather. Your leather will glow afterwards. You can easily spot clean with as you see them. I kept my ivory leather like new when it was traded in for my current X7M50i.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/sona...ather-kit.html
Will the foam get through the perforated leather and damage the foam seat or soak it up? Am hesitant to trying new products…
My current approach is the Griots 3-in-1 cream applied on a microfiber and soaked in it before wiping the seats. Works well to clean and condition the leather including the ivory on my X7.
And thoughts, MystroX5 ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 07:44 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Will the foam get through the perforated leather and damage the foam seat or soak it up? Am hesitant to trying new products…
My current approach is the Griots 3-in-1 cream applied on a microfiber and soaked in it before wiping the seats. Works well to clean and condition the leather including the ivory on my X7.
And thoughts, MystroX5 ?
No worries with perforation and leather soaking it up. The foam is really light and airy and it’s more of an even distribution idea so you put it on a clean, white slightly damp (distilled water) on microfiber towel and rub it across the leather. It’s better than other heavier lotion like cleaners as it doesn’t push and stay into the perforation holes. This stuff dries quickly and doesn’t leave any residue or sticky soapy film like the lotions do like Lexol cleaner, etc….
All my cars Porsche, BMW, etc.. have perforated heated and cooled seats and it’s the only cleaner I will use because of that tech under the seat cushions. I am also hyper critical of ph balance with fine leather and that’s why distilled water with the cleaner is optimal. It’s also better to use two separate steps with cleaning and then conditioning leather. All-in-one leather cleaner conditioners are a short cut that can trap dirt and push it farther into the grain. They don’t clean and lift the dirt out of the leather pores. You also will develop a build up on the leather and your satin finish will start to get smooth and shiny from the build up.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-09-2023 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #14
zorax282
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, RX350 and ES350

Quote:
As a car enthusiast, typically my cars last 1-1.5 years which is why I always go with pre-owned low mileage, and in many cases, I buy from private owners when I can.
What year / mileage is the MB? I'm curious as to what you do for warranty if the car is bought from a private seller.

My preference would be to also by pre-owned but I've always bought certified pre-owned from dealerships as I've been reluctant to buy from a private seller due to potential issues with the vehicle. Any repair to a vehicle like that (or other high end vehicles) can be extremely expensive and I like to hedge against a $$,$$$ repair.

I'm just curious as to how you manage the warranty situation? If you always buy low mileage less than a few years old than it may not be an issue since you mentioned you don't hang on to vehicles long.

The S-Class looks like a beauty! Your patience paid off with getting such a sweet ride!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:17 AM   #15
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax282 View Post
What year / mileage is the MB? I'm curious as to what you do for warranty if the car is bought from a private seller.

My preference would be to also by pre-owned but I've always bought certified pre-owned from dealerships as I've been reluctant to buy from a private seller due to potential issues with the vehicle. Any repair to a vehicle like that (or other high end vehicles) can be extremely expensive and I like to hedge against a $$,$$$ repair.

I'm just curious as to how you manage the warranty situation? If you always buy low mileage less than a few years old than it may not be an issue since you mentioned you don't hang on to vehicles long.

The S-Class looks like a beauty! Your patience paid off with getting such a sweet ride!

The answer is going to be a long one, but here are my thoughts: It depends on the seller and your feelings while working with him or meeting him. Also, I got a full copy of all service records, and he is a type of a guy who paid MB $300 with every single oil change to only replace the wiper blades (did that 3 times in the last 3 years with every oil change) plus the $600 for oil change. I'd never pay $300 for wiper blades that I can buy myself and install for less than 60 bucks (those are magic vision control wipers, but still less than $60 on FCP) .. So things like that indicate that he is a person who takes well care of his cars and care less about cutting corners short or not spending on his car. He also personalized the car buying experience with me, was approachable, and genuine (it's easy to read sneaky people from honest people) though it doesn't always work.

Also, I'd rather save $20-15K on a car and get it from an honest private seller (despite the risk) than paying that additional $20-15K to a dealer for that piece of mind. Though >60% of my purchased vehicles are through dealer so I can get tax incentive on the trade, I have never ever had issue buying from private seller. I take the car, pay $100 or whatever to a local dealer to inspect it. If it's good, I buy it. If I buy it site unseen for a very rare vehicle on the other side of the country that I can not pass on like this one, it's simple, I can ask the seller if he is that confident to take it for me to the dealer and I wire/venmo or pay him the inspection fee plus a few more buck for the inconvenience. I FEEL IT IS EASIER TO TRUST PEOPLE THAN DEALERS, really...

I also got a full copy of the service records and last time the vehicle went to MB was just 3 months ago for a complete check. 4 New pads, 4 new rotors, oil and all filters replaced, wiped blades and normal MB inspection with full technician records shared with me. He showed me a photo if his new 2023 new S-class which is an indication that it's time for this one to go to storage or to sell (another indication you could count on, does the seller have a replacement? why is he selling it if it's a good new car?). If the seller wants to cooperate, he can also call his local service advisor and ask them to release any information to you (the buyer) which is also a good sign.

I always buy low mileage (40K miles is my absolute max limit) but I prefer to be always closer to 30K mile (sweet-spot for depreciation). 10-20K miles vehicles would not have depreciated enough in most cases, and you will be the one to take part of the major depreciation then if u take them to ~40K miles. This one has 32K miles on it, so it had already depreciated so much and am not taking that hit. However, honestly, for warranty I care less about it on a Mercedes than BMW. I have owned 6 BMWs (5-series long time ago, iX, 530e, X7, another X7, X5); but I also owned so many Mercedes vehicles in the past. I have never ever had any issue with any of my S-class vehicles after warranty. BUT, all my BMW seems to go to the shop more regularly than any S-class. While those cars are expensive when they fail, the S-class is super reliable at least based on my experience. I would rather gamble on it WITHOUT an extended warranty and 99% of the times my maintenance cost is less than any extended warranty. Plus, I always baby all my cars (sounds crazy, but I never ever floored the gas pedal of any of my cars ever accept when I test drive them the first time). I do exercise the engine, but I never abuse them or race with them even though >90% of my cars in the past all had V8 engines. I am one of those who "detail" their engine bay... Treat them like a toy on the road, and I feel that really helps sometimes to keep them running for longer time/miles without maintenance.

In summary, with my previous experience with the S-class, they all have been literally maintenance free (I drive them from 30K to 60/70K) and I never paid more than a thousand or so on any of them. Also keep in mind that I don't tend to keep my cars for 10 years so that is another factor (I buy low mileage and sell them before they hit the 70K miles "if they stay that long"). My longest record is 3.5 years and only S-class vehicles (and one Lexus LS430) lasted that long.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-09-2023 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2023, 09:46 AM   #16
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No worries with perforation and leather soaking it up. The foam is really light and airy and it’s more of an even distribution idea so you put it on a clean, white slightly damp (distilled water) on microfiber towel and rub it across the leather. It’s better than other heavier lotion like cleaners as it doesn’t push and stay into the perforation holes. This stuff dries quickly and doesn’t leave any residue or sticky soapy film like the lotions do like Lexol cleaner, etc….
All my cars Porsche, BMW, etc.. have perforated heated and cooled seats and it’s the only cleaner I will use because of that tech under the seat cushions. I am also hyper critical of ph balance with fine leather and that’s why distilled water with the cleaner is optimal. It’s also better to use two separate steps with cleaning and then conditioning leather. All-in-one leather cleaner conditioners are a short cut that can trap dirt and push it farther into the grain. They don’t clean and lift the dirt out of the leather pores. You also will develop a build up on the leather and your satin finish will start to get smooth and shiny from the build up.
Ordered
Still using the same microfiber towers you recommended (Cobra). Now taking your advice on SONAX products and will report back when I try them.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 10:11 AM   #17
zorax282
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, RX350 and ES350

BMW5and7 Thank you for the informative answer. Your advice as to how to approach a private sale is great.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71062.50
      03-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ordered
Still using the same microfiber towers you recommended (Cobra). Now taking your advice on SONAX products and will report back when I try them.
You will love it.
Appreciate 1
BMW5and71062.50
      03-10-2023, 12:45 AM   #19
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

Can’t beat the S-class for what it is, especially that one. Would have liked to see you find of the last V-12 BMWs but they do seem to be turning into unicorns.

That S-class configuration really can’t be beat. That sound system is the best I’ve ever heard in a car and way ahead of any bmw I’ve heard. Supposedly maybe the culinan trumps it but at what 3x the cost it should.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:34 AM   #20
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehyox View Post
Can’t beat the S-class for what it is, especially that one. Would have liked to see you find of the last V-12 BMWs but they do seem to be turning into unicorns.

That S-class configuration really can’t be beat. That sound system is the best I’ve ever heard in a car and way ahead of any bmw I’ve heard. Supposedly maybe the culinan trumps it but at what 3x the cost it should.
I would have loved to find an M760i with the V12 engine, but there were a couple of roadblocks.

First, I made the decision to get the first fully loaded S560 OR M760 I find regardless if which one it will be, as long as it's offered at the right price. There were only 2 M760 that I came across that have been options to my linking yet with less than my 35K miles limit, but both were overpriced (at least overprices compared to my style of buying/trading; some dealers are known to be greedy). And if so, they were also low-balling me on the trade-in.
I wanted the M760 not only for the engine, but for the comfort and likelihood that it will have most of the options in the rear seat. Also would've loved rear wheels steering.
Finding an S560 was also proven to be as hard. I have been searching for literally 6-8 months non-stop during weekends, and I did 4 long trips of hours and hours to check in a few vehicles and each time there was a problem.

You won't believe it, but one S560 I found had damages of $28K body work that was not reported to Carfax (clean title). I found that just 1 hour before I was going to sign the purchase agreement, as I visited the nearby local body shop that MBenz uses to do body-shop work. Obviously the lady on the front counter made a mistake by "assuming" am the owner when I asked her for records for the VIN number I gave her (she assumed I already bought the vehicle). She handed me records for 3 incidents, one of them for a $28K body-work on the right side of the vehicle replacing all doors and even the rear-quarter panel!!! I went back to the seller/dealer and asked if he knew about all that and was trying to deceive me, they claim that previous owner never shared that with them and that it appears to have been work that the owner arranged by himself directly with the body-shop. It is sad that Carfax shows clean title and no accidents. That's one reason I don't like dealers, they only want the MONEY and nothing more and have no interest whatsoever in sharing records with you. Because of that incident, I prioritized cars offered by private seller, which I could easily test drive and take to the nearest body-shop for inspection or to MB or BMW service for mechanical inspection too, while also asking the seller to authorize service to share all service records with me since it is his car not the dealer (for dealer-owned vehicles, all dealers refused to share service records with me before buying which was a shame, including 4 BMW dealers!!, claiming it is personal info of the former owner!!!!). the salesman would only privately and verbally tell me what is on the screen, but will never share/print until I buy it. One dealer said even after I buy it, they will not and can not share previous records!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:25 PM   #21
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

Are there any sound demos take advantage of that Stereo? What do you use for sourcing on that? I've found the lossless Amazon stuff seems to sound the best on the B & W, although truthfully it doesn't hold a candle to the real 801 D4's that they are supposedly based on.

I do think the S-Classes have routinely had the best stereos of any car I've heard. Nothing else has been close.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:32 PM   #22
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehyox View Post
Are there any sound demos take advantage of that Stereo? What do you use for sourcing on that? I've found the lossless Amazon stuff seems to sound the best on the B & W, although truthfully it doesn't hold a candle to the real 801 D4's that they are supposedly based on.

I do think the S-Classes have routinely had the best stereos of any car I've heard. Nothing else has been close.
So, the B&W on my X7 is so good (at least for my level of understanding sound quality, which is pretty basic). When comparing music via Carplay on the X7 B&W vs S-class 3D Burmester, the 3D Burmester sounds a tiny more rich or deeper, but I guess the interior of the S-class first is smaller and 2nd is way more insulated (so maybe that’s why?). Both systems are great honestly. I heard from other owners that the 3D Burmester is the best system available when using lossless music, but I never tried that and am not a music/sound system expert. I guess MystroX5 knows better about the differences between the two. For the qualify of music I use (which is not that high), I think the main difference comes from the more insulated and smaller cabin in S-class compared to X7. Also, S-class uses carplay via the cable through a dedicated USB port only for Carplay, while BMW uses bluetooth, so that could be another factor. MB owners claim that 3D Burmester is better in general, but I wonder if it’s the cabin or cable that makes most of the difference. 7-series vs S-class would have given us the true answer…. For someone like me, even the HK in my X5 sounds (almost*) as good as B&W or 3D Burmester, almost** :O. My ears are SUPER sensitive to any noises or rattles, but not a music expert.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 03-10-2023 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0