BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
shaggy135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Lament with me 1 Brothers...

Just to give you some perspective, I ordered the car February, 15th and the car arrived in the states June 6th. I ordered through Military sales (only reason I can justify the time frame) and financed through Pen Fed. My car had spent 2 weeks going through customs for some reason before it went to VDC. I found out why today!!! Apparently during shipping the car sustained 10% damage (mostly rear bumper) and per BMW's policy, if the car has more than 3% damage, it cannot be sold to a customer. Why they failed to tell me this till today, I couldn't tell you. The lady I talked to today seemed frantic as this has only happened to her 2 other times in the 2 years she's been working with BMWNA.

We talked for quite a while and basically BMW is going to make my next 2 car payments or pay off my current loan and finance through them. She is working on getting me a lower rate and I'm going to squeeze every last cent or addition to the car that I can. She will place the order and told me I should have the car in 4-6weeks.

My question is...after listening to her and calming down and letting it sink in...Is it even worth it anymore? Who's to say the next car won't come and be damaged? Don't get me wrong, I do want the car and the anticipation has caused lack of sleep at times but now I'm not sure. What would you folks do in this situation? :iono:
      06-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
EODGUY
1Addict's Mad Bomber
Rep
Drives:

I would probably cancel at that point. The problem is, you ordered the car while you were overseas I'm assuming. Now, since you're stateside, and you will essentialy be getting a whole new order and VIN number, you're more than likely going to have to pay sales tax. Not 100% sure, as it will depend on your state, but thats going to add a lot of money.

*Traded in*
2008 135i/TiAg/Coral/6M/Sport/Ipod/Premium Audio/Heated seats
*Picked up 16 August, gone 21 September. Good ridance.*

1975 Jeep CJ-5
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Bimzz
Happy Member
Rep
Drives:

I would cancel the order and wait for 2009 models. Unles they offer you something really reaaallly good to compensate for your hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Sorry to hear that, that really sucks!!! I would keep the order going and take anything they will give. It is only July, so you will still have the car for two months of the summer. Trust me, it will be worth the wait, don't settle for something else now! The month will go by quickly, if you cancel when August comes you will say to yourself, wow I wish I would have kept my order....I would be drive a 135i now.
      06-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
+1 keep the car, get a new one and itll be here before you know it
feel bad your car had damage, that really sucks, but it could happen to anyone really.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If the damage was only to the rear bumper they can replace it no problem. I guess it would depend on where and how bad the rest of the damage is. Check the sales / use tax implications as well. If there's no advantage then maybe go with an '09 with the upgraded telematics. DO NOT give up the car!
      06-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Keep it, they are making things good for you, and are still working on benefitting you even more. Its a deal within a deal basically. And you also have this extra time to save up a little more money.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I had a rear bumper and hood replaced, and both driver side doors repainted due to damage during shipping on my e90. They did not hold the car from me. I assume that with your car, you've got quite a bit more damage than just the rear bumper. They can replace that for peanuts. You are over $3500 damage (at >10% damage), which is a lot more than what my repairs were.
Appreciate 0