BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum ugh paint defect on individual vehicle

04-26-2023, 12:39 PM   #1
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

ugh paint defect on individual vehicle

Not sure how this passes qc.. Have had it for a bit over 3 months and noticed a few weeks ago, finally going in tomorrow to get it looked at. I only noticed as I was trying to investigate why so much road noise is coming through that door, dealer has been next to useless in that regard.
Paint bubbling/drips can’t see how it could be a rock chip or anything that happened after delivery. Kicking myself for missing it on delivery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
The excessive road/wind noise might be coming from the 2nd row vent on the side of the drivers seat below where the seatbelt comes out of. Last week I was wondering why there was so much wind noise, kids & wife have been messing with the climate controls and now that vent was blowing full blast, WTF is this stupid design I said to myself.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

That's going to be extremely easy to fix. That's the good news. Hard to tell from the picture but it also looks like that when something hot is dropped on paint. I've seen cigarettes look similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

At the top of your photo, you see where the black windshield side trim meets the black trim running below the roof rail? It looks like the windshield side trim might be kinked where it meets the roof trim. They may not be aligned and flush. Try putting a piece of masking tape over it and go on a test drive, see if that helps with noise.

Also check your sunroof seals for any gaps, especially at the corners where the two pieces of glass meet.

BMW has been letting a lot of cars with these issues out of their factories recently. For me, taping over the sunroof seal gap made a decent improvement, and taping over the windshield side trim made a huge improvement (even thought the tape didn't make it completely flush and smooth). At least if you try that, you'll be able to point the dealer to a specific thing. There's a SIB about the sunroof seals.

Both of those issues can masquerade as noise coming from the drivers door window.
Appreciate 1
xlover2198.50
      04-26-2023, 08:54 PM   #5
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
At the top of your photo, you see where the black windshield side trim meets the black trim running below the roof rail? It looks like the windshield side trim might be kinked where it meets the roof trim. They may not be aligned and flush. Try putting a piece of masking tape over it and go on a test drive, see if that helps with noise.

Also check your sunroof seals for any gaps, especially at the corners where the two pieces of glass meet.

BMW has been letting a lot of cars with these issues out of their factories recently. For me, taping over the sunroof seal gap made a decent improvement, and taping over the windshield side trim made a huge improvement (even thought the tape didn't make it completely flush and smooth). At least if you try that, you'll be able to point the dealer to a specific thing. There's a SIB about the sunroof seals.

Both of those issues can masquerade as noise coming from the drivers door window.
thanks for the heads up on that pinched seal i am going to take a look, there are a few seals that look out of place or seated differently than the passenger door I am going to point out. The noise coming is is definitely more of a low pitch buffeting than a whistle like a seal isnt tight enough. the best way to describe it is, my instinct is to pull the door shut tighter (of course i cant because the soft close locks the movement)

EDIT: ill add this time i brought the vehicle back to the purchasing dealer vs the one most convenient i know that shouldnt make a difference but it can

Last edited by xlover; 04-27-2023 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0