BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Rear seat entertainment

12-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Rear seat entertainment

Since I didn't build the X7 with rear entertainment package, thought I would install myself and extremely less expensive. I purchased a couple of BMW headrest adapters + 2 BMW iPad holders. Quick and easy install. All items were purchased off eBay. The iPad 2 WiFi only holders were $150/each and a couple of used iPad 2's for $40/each.

I installed about 12 games on the iPad and a few movies to entertain rear seat passengers. The games are on the iPad so you don't need Wi-Fi or cellular network while traveling in the vehicle to enjoy the games. It's great for kids and keep adults entertained on road trips.

The pictures demonstrate the various angles the iPad can be placed in to accommodate taller or shorter passengers. I downloaded the bmw logo for a personal touch. I also purchased a couple of usb-c chargers that plug directly into the back of the seat and are hidden when the iPads are in its lowest setting.

I'm yet to attempt connecting to the wifi hotspot in the X7. It's just the wife and I so it's not a big deal to carry a full time cellular activation to these two iPads. Fairly inexpensive route to keep rear seat passengers entertained. You could actually add an additional two on the back of the second row captain chairs if you a big enough family
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Fyi - You can also plug the iPad holders directly into the accessories slot, it's behind the sliding plastic panel next to the USB charge port on the seat.

How are the headrest mounts - I had some generic ones in the past that would rattle, part of the reason I bought the holder only (without the headrest mounts) and plug into the seat.
hopefully the BMW ones are steadier.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
Fyi - You can also plug the iPad holders directly into the accessories slot, it's behind the sliding plastic panel next to the USB charge port on the seat.

How are the headrest mounts - I had some generic ones in the past that would rattle, part of the reason I bought the holder only (without the headrest mounts) and plug into the seat.
hopefully the BMW ones are steadier.
No issues so far. I like how many different positions they offer. Accommodates short, tall, toddler, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Well done, you're highlighting the advantages of using your own tablets for making your own rear entertainment systems, including things the BMW RES can't do. To be fair, there are a few things only the BMW RES system can do, such as car environmental and navigation controls. It's well integrated. Some may not want that kind of that control possible in the rear seats.

For all the same reasons, I chose not to go with the RES
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
x7bmw23281.50
      12-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Well done, you're highlighting the advantages of using your own tablets for making your own rear entertainment systems, including things the BMW RES can't do. To be fair, there are a few things only the BMW RES system can do, such as car environmental and navigation controls. It's well integrated. Some may not want that kind of that control possible in the rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post

The absolute best part of the RES is not the rear screens. It's being able to plug in a Firestick TV, and along with BimmerCode coding being able to watch apps on the front screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
x7bmw23281.50
      12-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Does anyone know when RES will be back for United States X7 builds? We currently have RES in our 2020, and it's the best. We are debating ordering an M50, however I'm surprised that this feature isn't available here, yet it's available when I took a quick look at the BMW Canada and UK websites. While I like the idea of having iPads as screens in the back, it's not quite the same as RES. Hopeful that BMW brings back this option for the U.S.
      12-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #7
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Does anyone know when RES will be back for United States X7 builds? We currently have RES in our 2020, and it's the best. We are debating ordering an M50, however I'm surprised that this feature isn't available here, yet it's available when I took a quick look at the BMW Canada and UK websites. While I like the idea of having iPads as screens in the back, it's not quite the same as RES. Hopeful that BMW brings back this option for the U.S.
Not sure to answer your question but it's a toss up between built in screens or iPads. Depends on application I guess. If you spend time in the 2nd row, makes sense for RES so you can control the car features like heat, air, navigation, dvd. It's just the wife and I and I don't plan on being in the 2nd row at anytime. If you have kids, I think iPads are better because of ability play games, do homework, movies, FaceTime and the ability to take it into the hotel room or grand parents house.

I always thought buying a car with the navigation built into the interface was the best option. Then I had a car without it and I had to buy a mobile gps. The built in was only useful when I was driving my car. However the portable gps units can be taken from vehicle to vehicle. You can give it to your teenager, use in rental cars or spouse's vehicle.

So the look is better to me of the built in with RES but for functionality, I like the flexibility of the iPads.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #8
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Does anyone know when RES will be back for United States X7 builds?
If it will be back for the non-Alpina models at all, your best bet will be once the LCI (MY22) launches next year.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #9
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Looks like pulled it from UK market also, wondering if anyone knows if it will be back
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 08:07 AM   #10
RO-CK
Private
Rep
Drives: G07 / G20 / F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
The absolute best part of the RES is not the rear screens. It's being able to plug in a Firestick TV, and along with BimmerCode coding being able to watch apps on the front screen.
Hello!

Resurrecting and old thread here, but could you let me know the coding you did via Bimmercode to enable Firestick to work on your front screen via RSE?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #11
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO-CK View Post
Hello!

Resurrecting and old thread here, but could you let me know the coding you did via Bimmercode to enable Firestick to work on your front screen via RSE?

Thanks
Video in Motion
Appreciate 0