Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Replace or repair bend winter wheels?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Replace or repair bend winter wheels?

Well, it's ironic that I previously stated how my winter RFTs did not get any bubbles hitting same size potholes that destroyed my Potenzas last year...

I just took off my winter wheels/tires, both front wheels are slightly bend after just one winter season. They're Rial Salernos 17s.

Have you had any luck repairing bent wheels? Is it worth trying to repair them given they're <$150/ea?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
into002
Registered
Rep
Drives: ANTHRACIE 06 SEDAN 325I

wheel repair vs replacement

The answer to the question ,do i repair or replace ? must take into account a few factors,
1) cost of replacement and availability

If the rim can be replaced for less than the $80-$150 that a reputable rim shop would charge then the question is answered .unfortunately the days of $100 junkyard rims are long gone .replacing a factory rim can range from $200(used reman) - $500&up (new)this is when repair makes sense ,and if the rim is an aftermarket that is no longer available ,the alternative is replacing the complete set .Thats a whole new eqation

2)Severity and extent of damage

It's one thing to have some curb rash or some cosmetic damage that can be repaired by refinishing ,or a flat spot from impact which can be repaired using proper techniqes or even a hairline crack on an inner lip that can be welded (by a pro ) and machined (thats how we do it)
Dont confuse that with ,for examle center bore or lug hole damage which in my opinion should make a rim scrap. Also if there is a chunk missing i would junk it. If the rim has 4 flatspots and 3 cracks the rim would be nonrepairable since devoting the time neccesary to repair cannot be justified by the cost in time .

3) Acsess to quality repairs

As in most of life ,you get what you pay for.dont expect flat fix Al to have a computerized CNC lathe or a state of the art spray booth ,and then don't be surprised when your bargain wheel repair on your $700 BBS looks or feels like crap.
The reason it costs $$125 or more to properly repair a wheel is because when done properly ,its a multi step process
>dismount tire
>clean and degrease entire rim (for proper inspection and as prep for refinish)
> strip finish (if refinishing)
>measure roundness and runout w/dial gauge to determine variatons from spec
> apply heat and pressure or weld accordingly
> machine weld and bead to finish repair.
> machine cut face on CNC
> refinish & clearcoat
> remount & balance tire (runflats and lopros are very difficult to mount without damaging a rim and require proper tools and training)hence the $$20-$30 that a tire shop would charge(is included)

4)Expectations
We do onsite cosmetic repairs as well as complete in shop reman. onsite repairs of cosmetic damage is usuall under $100 per rim where a complete reman is $under $150
unless you are a hardcore ,concours,q-tip detailing fanataic ,(of which i know and love many)then an onsite repair will suit you and 90% of owners
if you are leasing a car and need to maintain it appearance, onsite repair is most cost effective and can save you hundreds at leaese turn in.
If the damage is structural (bent or cracked) make sure a reputable shop does the work or contact me George at nyrimfix@yahoo.comor www.nyrimfix.com
good luck !!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

thanks for the reply, problem solved btw. I called around and it's not worth the hassle as the wheels are not expensive to begin with.

I'll file a claim with Paragon, it's just going to eat 50% of my max allowance for this year, that leaves 2 more wheel/RFT replacements for 2009, I can live with that.
Appreciate 0