BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-11-2024, 02:41 PM   #199
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
I'm getting pretty lost too & this thread should come with a bag of free popcorn. It's funny that MaxWell has an X3 MC with 40k on the clock & 40-50 launches (conservative estimate) & yet his factory bolt was just fine / straight as an arrow...
One of the main reasons I started this compilation was that I also had trouble keeping track of these different 'solutions'. I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on the pros and cons of these different approaches (strength/stability vs NVH/downstream force issues).

To be fair, my factory bolt was bent some as an image in my OP shows, but agreed that I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't worse given the reports from others and my number of trips to the Strip.

As I've also taken my wife's X3MC to the Strip a few times with about 10 or so launches, I'm thinking about ordering an OEM bolt and nut from the Dealer and having them just replace those on hers (leaving the bushing alone) - 33326775040 Hex bolt with washer, 33326760380 Combination nut. Knowing my front bushings and bolts were fine I'm not concerned about those on hers.

Will be interesting to see what they quote for the labor since both of ours don't have the vertical bracing as we don't have a pano, so it should be a quick and easy process.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2024, 02:37 PM   #200
Stereolab42
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
What a mess... decided to bite the bullet and just get the Einhorn installed next week (along with low-dust brake pads). Seems to be reports of noise with all of these solutions so I may as well use the strongest one. And noise doesn't bother me unless it's really bizarre. Guess we'll see.
Shop took one look at the instructions and said labor would be up to 2k so I just noped out lol. He works with people who track Ms and thought this was overkill if you're not drag racing the thing, and was worried about the noise introduced. Maybe I'll get one of the less extreme solutions installed instead, but for now I will wait until the year mark in August then pull and inspect the OEM bolt. That I can do at home.
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2024, 07:33 AM   #201
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Shop took one look at the instructions and said labor would be up to 2k so I just noped out lol. He works with people who track Ms and thought this was overkill if you're not drag racing the thing, and was worried about the noise introduced. Maybe I'll get one of the less extreme solutions installed instead, but for now I will wait until the year mark in August then pull and inspect the OEM bolt. That I can do at home.

WTF, thats obv the "dont want the job" rate. I just hope none of the few ones I have around here dont pull the same crap.

Ugh

Last edited by TacosRule!; 05-17-2024 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
joebie3337.00
Jnat438.00
      05-15-2024, 08:01 AM   #202
joebie3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 STI - 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2014 Subaru STi  [5.00]
Quote:
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Wow.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2024, 09:58 PM   #203
Stereolab42
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
WTF, thats obv the "dont want the job" rate. I just hope none of the few ones I have around here pull the same crap.

Ugh
I mean, if you go religiously by the instructions, it's a ton of work. Drop the brace under the exhaust, drop the exhaust, drop the diff, and reverse all that. They thought their press tool might not have enough room so they said they might have to drop the rear subframe too, that's what they thought might cause it to reach $2k. Ehh. In the end, I have to agree that this is the most extreme solution and it's probably only applicable to the most extreme drivers -- dedicated racers who don't blink at these type of costs to prep an M and/or do their own work.
Appreciate 3
95wildtt871.00
Max Well4802.00
      05-17-2024, 05:34 PM   #204
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

For spatial reference here is how my 2020 X3MC (top) and my wife's 2022 X3MC (bottom) rear diff bolts appear on images taken directly behind and midway underneath the bumper, both sans pano. I just leaned down and reached underneath with the iPhone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      Yesterday, 12:37 AM   #205
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
For spatial reference here is how my 2020 X3MC (top) and my wife's 2022 X3MC (bottom) rear diff bolts appear on images taken directly behind and midway underneath the bumper, both sans pano. I just leaned down and reached underneath with the iPhone.
Thank you Max for taking these. Someday I want to by another X3 MC with the pano roof delete & turn in into an absolute track monster & drag strip warrior. Wish MotorTrend & all the other mags could test this lighter & stiffer version of the platform that only a few people have & even know about.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Max Well4802.00