BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum LCI X7 (2023) rear door handles don’t lock/unlock

12-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #1
Petercass88
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

LCI X7 (2023) rear door handles don’t lock/unlock

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone else annoyed by this feature being missed? I don’t want the car to auto-unlock all doors when I put it in park but there have been countless times already that I put it in park and go to grab my bag out of the back seat and I pull a locked door handle.

My wife’s 2013 535i has lock/unlock sensors on the rear doors. It’s wild to me that my 2023 X7 doesn’t… guessing it’s a COVID shortage? Anyone have lock/unlock sensor rear door handles? I’m curious if it’s possible to swap them out at some point… or by that time I’ll probably just get used to it. Who knows… first world problems but something I expect when dropping 6 figures on a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Thats been a reported deletion as well as rear door puddle lights. Its a parts shortage issue that BMW is milking as long as they can.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

They had them before but not anymore unfortunately. My 2020 has it on all doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 12:15 AM   #4
M3JHWK
Nutter
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

“Parts shortage”. More like cost-cutting if you ask me. Perhaps it was shortages to begin with, but do we really expect that they’ll make the effort to rectify these things in forthcoming model years? I feel like they’re more likely to remove certain options/features since that’s what they’ve been doing ever since the X7 was released. Exact same thing with the cheap looking, black plastic lock/unlock buttons that used to be metal pre-LCI. BMW is starting to really piss me off with this nonsense.
The X7 was supposed to be a 7 series in SUV form but, if we’re honest, it’s not that close. The details matter, especially when one is potentially forking out $100k+ for a car before options.
Appreciate 1
Young04684.00
      12-27-2022, 01:31 AM   #5
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Speak up! Once people stop buying and speak up they will come to senses, otherwise they will keep cutting things, you’ll end up driving basic bmw for premium price lol.

Regarding door handle - you can order the part or buy used and retrofit comfort access to rear doors, it’s plug and play might need coding…
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 07:16 AM   #6
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
Speak up! Once people stop buying and speak up they will come to senses, otherwise they will keep cutting things, you’ll end up driving basic bmw for premium price lol.

Regarding door handle - you can order the part or buy used and retrofit comfort access to rear doors, it’s plug and play might need coding…
I was going to say the same thing but is coding available on I drive 8?
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 07:23 AM   #7
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
I was going to say the same thing but is coding available on I drive 8?
I don’t think it is, at least that’s what other threads have been saying as it has to now contact BMW servers during updates to the software. Wonder how this will affect BimmerCode in the future…
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

I wouldn’t accept any BMW without all the doors being able unlock or lock with comfort access. The first door I open 90% of the time is the rear drivers side. You buy a luxury vehicle and it ditches features a 2018 X3(currently own)has, why the heck would I buy a 100k suv that doesn’t have all the options. BMW can shove it. Make less cars with all the features and people just wait a bit longer. It’s like all the fools who bought X7’s with the substandard basic car audio. Probably worse stereo of any vehicle produced after 2008. Good luck selling it for a premium. Stop paying premiums and accepting less in return. Don’t be the sheep.
Appreciate 1
Young04684.00
      12-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #9
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
I don’t think it is, at least that’s what other threads have been saying as it has to now contact BMW servers during updates to the software. Wonder how this will affect BimmerCode in the future…
might be dead in water. all changes need to be signed by the mothership.

i have a rear CA handle and the correct plug connectors and pins needed to add the harness to the door if needed. the question is if the harness is there or removed. if its removed im going to make a plug and play harness that will tap the front door handles. i have a pile of the connectors that the handle uses to connect to the harness so i can tap without modifying any existing wiring.

i havent tried it yet as the inner panel of the door is the window regulator and i need to separate the glass from that in order to remove it to get access to the inside of the door. that involves securing the glass to the frame, then releasing the clip at the bottom of the glass

Im going to wait till the spring to do it since its too cold to mess around with plastic clips- i dont have an enclosed garage to do the work.

the older retrofit kits tap into the front doors or the main control module, no coding needed. based on what the sensor is, i suspect it would work fine sharing the bus with the front passenger side handle.

admittedly this is only really annoying when getting out of the car to open the rear doors after you have driven off. the proximity unlock takes care of the need mostly when you are approaching the car. in the meantime i set the doors to unlock when the car is put into park or at end of journey. the unlock when put into park doesnt give me the warm fuzzies from a security standpoint.

its extremely annoying that this feature was present on my 2019 X3 and its missing on a car that is significantly higher in the lineup. this was probably a way to make twice the cars with the same chip supply.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 12-27-2022 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 12:52 PM   #10
Nonsuch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M6

The rear handle unlock delete has been discussed previously, with many of the same responses. While it is very unfortunate, it seems unlikely to be the result of cost cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JHWK View Post
…Exact same thing with the cheap looking, black plastic lock/unlock buttons that used to be metal pre-LCI.
This might have been done to make the button more obvious (or just different). I have needed to point out the silver button many times to valets and passengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
I wouldn’t accept any BMW without all the doors being able unlock or lock with comfort access…
Stop paying premiums and accepting less in return. Don’t be the sheep.
I would accept a BMW without rear door unlock (easy for me to say with a 2022)
I will not accept a BMW with the ugly grill — no i4 for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
…it’s extremely annoying that this feature was present on my 2019 X3 and its missing on a car that is significantly higher in the lineup. this was probably a way to make twice the cars with the same chip supply.
You are likely correct. Some chip is end-of-life, and using only 2 per car avoids redesigning the door handle. Various versions of the “big loop” door handle have been used for 20 years, and BMW is finally moving to new styles
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
Petercass88
Rep

That’s honestly my only annoyance with the car and I didn’t see it on the forums here before pickup so the PC got a shocked face when they walked through that with me. The response was “get used to opening the driver door and pressing the unlock button” which is wild to hear when someone just spent $100,000 and it doesn’t have a feature a $20,000 KIA or older BMWs have. Big miss here IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #12
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercass88 View Post
That’s honestly my only annoyance with the car and I didn’t see it on the forums here before pickup so the PC got a shocked face when they walked through that with me. The response was “get used to opening the driver door and pressing the unlock button” which is wild to hear when someone just spent $100,000 and it doesn’t have a feature a $20,000 KIA or older BMWs have. Big miss here IMO.
Meanwhile, the 7-series sedan is getting fully automatic opening/closing doors in addition to the rear door sensors. I don't think it is about shortage or microchips. Am almost certain BMW is just going cheap and clearly doesn't see the X7 at the same level as their flagship 7-series sedan, which is disappointing. Pretty curious to see what happens in the next generation for X7 around 2027 (continue the cheap trend, or get closer to 7-series standards). Mini fridge, rear seats massage and cooling, better leather quality on armrest areas matching 7-series, fully-automatic doors closing, and foldable captain chairs are a must-have options for next gen before they lose the competition) Sometimes I wonder why do we all think the X7 is luxurious while it is missing many features (including rear door sensors right now!!!). If it wasn't for the drive comfort and the powerful V8, I don't see any value that the X7 brings.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 12-28-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
supdes48.00
el1977.00
      12-30-2022, 09:39 AM   #13
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Are you saying that the rear doors don't automatically unlock with the key in your pocket?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 10:24 AM   #14
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Are you saying that the rear doors don't automatically unlock with the key in your pocket?
Yes they lock and unlock as you approach the vehicle. What they are saying is that if you grab the rear door handle after you park the vehicle then it’s locked unless you have the unlock all door in park function enabled.

So yes it’s a pain in the ass as my X5 and you X7 had this feature and the new LCI does not.

I’m don’t have any kids. Just me and the wife. So this is not an issue for me. I don’t open that door frequently anyways.

But if I was always in and out of the back I could see how it could be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
Gulu100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,17 f12 vert

all my doors open with my phone in my pocket as i approach the vehicle so non issue if you are using the digital key...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #16
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulu100 View Post
all my doors open with my phone in my pocket as i approach the vehicle so non issue if you are using the digital key...
Is that right? Well, I always have my iPhone on me, so that would be a non-issue as well. Curious, would it also work with the iwatch when iPhone is not present?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 03:19 PM   #17
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sort of. Yes I use the digital key as well. So in essence you are correct. However if you are in the car and turn it off after your trip and don’t have the all doors unlock in park function activated in the menu then it doesn’t matter if you have the digital key. You still won’t be able to open the rear doors by the door handles because the comfort access option is gone on the 2023 model. You would have to walk away from the car and it will lock and then approach it again OR touch the front door handle so all doors unlock again.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #18
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Definitely an annoyance and BMW can piss off for this one. If the X7 represent the 7-series equivalent for SUV, then make sure it lives up to that in options as it sure lives up to that in price.

I’ve gotten used to it by now, but still miss the convenience of grabbing the rear door handle to open and grab my bags or other stuff. I don’t have the comfort access option turned on to open all doors upon approach by choice, so I sometimes approach the rear doors first and have a habit of grabbing that handle to unlock so my wife can open the door on her side.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 12:25 AM   #19
Gulu100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,17 f12 vert

So I am really running into an annoyance..

The digital card in my phone is causing the x7 to lock and unlock anytime I go into the garage to throw trash or go to out second fridge! My phone is always in my pocket…
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 05:49 AM   #20
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The digital card in my phone is causing the x7 to lock and unlock anytime I go into the garage to throw trash or go to out second fridge! My phone is always in my pocket…
Yes same here. Tesla has an option that turns off this feature when the vehicle is home using the coordinates from gps. I wish bmw had the same option.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 08:03 AM   #21
Petercass88
Rep

Just had a 2023 X3 loaner and it… drum roll… had lock/unlock sensors on all door handles. How annoying that a car half the price has that feature. It’s my only gripe with the car, seriously… what a miss… who would you even complain to? Doubt BMW would add it back for those of us that already bought our cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 11:39 PM   #22
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:

For this reason, I disabled my phone and watch as keys. Too much random locking & unlocking.
Appreciate 0