BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum ALPINA XB7 Begins Production; 2020 Positions Sold Out

08-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

ALPINA XB7 Begins Production; 2020 Positions Sold Out

BIMMERPOST NEWS
ALPINA XB7 Begins Production; 2020 Positions Sold Out
COMMENTS

Also see:

BMW XB7 Official Info and Photos Thread
2021 BMW Alpina XB7 Pricing and Ordering Guides

Buchloe, Germany – August 11, 2020… BMW of North America and ALPINA are proud to announce that the new BMW ALPINA XB7 Sports Activity Vehicle® has begun series production at BMW’s Spartanburg, SC factory, and that the XB7 “Build Your Own” configurator is now fully functional at BMWUSA.com. Incidentally, dealer and customer orders for the XB7 model have already satisfied available production capacity through the balance of calendar year 2020.

The BMWUSA.com site now features a fully functional ALPINA XB7 configurator for consumers to build examples of the 612-horsepower SAV in available colors, trims, and equipment configurations, complete with functionality to save and share example builds, and to search dealer inventory for similar matches. Traditional exterior colors ALPINA Blue Metallic and ALPINA Green Metallic will become available at later dates. Returning ALPINA customers will be eager to view the newest ALPINA wood interior trim, called Walnut Nature Anthracite (Black). An open-pore design with “floating” ALPINA logo affixed, optional Walnut Nature Anthracite joins standard ALPINA Myrtle wood trim and available ALPINA Piano Black trim, both of which were already available on ALPINA models offered in North America including the 2021 ALPINA B7 Sedan (0-60mph in 3.5 seconds, top speed up to 205mph). Additionally, US customers can view wheel and tire choices for the XB7, which begin with 21-inch ALPINA DYNAMIC light-alloy wheels with Run-Flat Summer or Run-Flat All-Season tires, and massive new 23-inch ALPINA CLASSIC forged-alloy wheels that save 28 pounds of unsprung mass and include bespoke-compound Pirelli P-ZERO “ALP” non-runflat summer tires. A compact spare is available as an option.

More than enough orders from US and Canadian dealers for the ALPINA XB7 have been received to keep the production line and ALPINA final assembly workshop busy past the end of 2020. News of the first-ever XB7 was received enthusiastically by North American dealers and customers, who began placing orders for the model after its mid-May announcement. With global sales of ultra-exclusive ALPINA models stable at just under 2,000 units annually, spotting an ALPINA model on the road anywhere in the world is perhaps only 25 percent as likely as seeing a Rolls-Royce motor car! As with any ALPINA model sold through BMW of North America, US-based BMW dealers may continue placing orders for the XB7 and will be advised regularly with lead-time estimates for production.

The hand-finished ALPINA XB7, with seating for up to seven, is the first full-size BMW SAV to receive the refined ALPINA performance luxury treatment and follows the mid-size ALPINA SAV models including the ultra-high-performance diesel XD3 model and XD4 Sports Activity Coupe (neither offered in North America). The XB7, which started production in August for September deliveries in the US market, is based on the BMW X7 and advances the merits of that model with power, handling, and aesthetic details taken to previously unseen levels of development. A small galaxy of unique ALPINA parts ensure that the ALPINA XB7 specifications include a 0-60mph dash in 4.0 seconds, a top speed of up to 180mph, handling and braking to match the power, and a look and feel signature to ALPINA, with the attention to detail clients of the boutique automaker have come to expect since 1965.

The BMW ALPINA XB7 is eligible for the Performance Center Delivery experience at the BMW Performance Driving School in Spartanburg, SC.

MARKET LAUNCH

The all-new BMW ALPINA XB7 became available to order from May 2020 with deliveries planned to commence in September 2020. Just as with the 2021 BMW ALPINA B7 Sedan, all official BMW dealers in the United States and Canada are eligible to sell and service the all-new ALPINA XB7. The XB7 has been featured on the Future Models page of the BMWUSA.com website, and the full Build Your Own page is now live on the site.

ABOUT ALPINA AND BMW IN NORTH AMERICA

ALPINA Automobiles, privately owned and operated since 1965, has enjoyed a decades-long technical partnership with BMW Group, providing development and testing services to the Munich-based automaker. ALPINA is recognized by the German Ministry of Transport as an independent automobile manufacturer. Selected BMW ALPINA automobiles (currently the B7 and XB7) are sold and serviced by the existing BMW dealer networks in the United States and Canada. These models are covered by BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty and applicable maintenance programs.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      08-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Not surprised that all production slots have been already taken. This car is nearly perfect in its intent and execution.
Appreciate 3
cwulffy150.00
      08-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Stunning!
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10776.00
      08-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3ybq View Post
Nominated for the Best Silent Shortest Film at the next Oscars.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

As I said in the different thread related to Alpina, 6 cars went to production, and production had started already.
Also, Alpina Blue Metallic is officially scheduled for build in December, and I got confirmation from Alpina Germany directly.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

First 6 XB7 Alpinas went to production:

1 for customer in FL, 1 in CA and 4 in TX.

Production week will be 32 and 33.

3 Black Sapphire Metallic, 1 Mineral White Metallic , 1 Arctic Grey Metallic , 1 Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

ALPINA BLUE METALLIC AVAILABLE:

Model:
21SQ X7 ALPINA
Color:
A96 Mineral White Metallic
C1M Phytonic Blue Metallic
C27 Arctic Grey Metallic
C3Z Tanzanite Blue II Metallic
X06 (Ind) ALPINA Blue Metallic
X1B (Ind) Ametrin Metallic
300 Alpine White
475 Black Sapphire Metallic

Update:
ALPINA Blue Metallic is available from December build.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3ybq View Post
Nominated for the Best Silent Shortest Film at the next Oscars.
Better get my script ready
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #10
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Love hearing this!
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is the way because Ametrin Metallic is utterly gorgeous...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Maybe someone can point it out but I don't understand where the extra roughly $33K premium over a fully loaded M50i is coming from? The bulk of change appears to be the engine and then they stuck some Alpina badges on the inside.

This Alpina doesn't have the Lavalina leather or the signature blue or green colors available. And, you actually have to pay $2,600 more to get the Alpina classic wheels.

What's the premium for?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

selling like hotcakes
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Bring the bloody Alpina line in North America.
We need the B3, B5 and XD3 and XD4
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
cfm56d7b5876.00
      08-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #15
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
Maybe someone can point it out but I don't understand where the extra roughly $33K premium over a fully loaded M50i is coming from? The bulk of change appears to be the engine and then they stuck some Alpina badges on the inside.

This Alpina doesn't have the Lavalina leather or the signature blue or green colors available. And, you actually have to pay $2,600 more to get the Alpina classic wheels.

What's the premium for?

Since many years ago, I follow Alpina cars, and this is going to be number 3 already.
You have choice to have Camry XLE V6, or Lexus ES350 ultra package.
Nissan or Infinity. Land rover Discovery or Range Rover. Regular car or luxury.
Do I have to really explain you why me and 275 people choose to pay 33K extra to get something unique?
You can go to store and choose leather wallet from no name, or go to designer shop and pay extra that you like. I would never blame people who go to Las Vegas or Atlantic City to gamble, I would never go, don't care. But, I want my XB7 Alpina blue metallic to be delivered to me regardless of 33K extra.
Sorry, but that is true.
Appreciate 1
wesleyan921372.00
      08-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #16
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemagrp View Post
Quote:

What's the premium for?

Since many years ago, I follow Alpina cars, and this is going to be number 3 already.
Do I have to really explain you why me and 275 people choose to pay 33K extra to get something unique?
You can go to store and choose leather wallet from no name, or go to designer shop and pay extra that you like. I would never blame people who go to Las Vegas or Atlantic City to gamble, I would never go, don't care. But, I want my XB7 Alpina blue metallic to be delivered to me regardless of 33K extra.
Sorry, but that is true.
Quote:
Quote:

What's the premium for?

Sorry, but that is true.

How long do you plan on keeping this monster?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #17
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
How long do you plan on keeping this monster?
36 month at least
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #18
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Question still not answered

Quote:
Sorry, but that is true.
First, the Discovery and Range Rover are two completely different models. At that point, you might as well bring up an X3 vs an X7, which is a fairly useless discussion.

Second, and in fairness, I'm comparing trim levels of one model, not different vehicles that share a chassis or basis, as is the comparison you've made with Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti.

Third, you're still driving an X7, just one with Alpina badging. Your leather wallet brand comparison doesn't work, neither does the Vegas/Atlantic City comparison because the companies (read: cities or wallets in your example) aren't different.

The proper comparison would be a Range Rover Autobiography vs an HSE, or a Maybach GLS vs a GLS 580. In both of those instances, the brands have made huge changes over the base vehicle, not just a different engine and a couple badge swaps. But, maybe I'm missing something.

As such, maybe someone with a better explanation can chime in. If it's just badging and the exclusivity, that's cool. At that point, why not just pony up the extra dough and pick up a Bentayga, DBX, or Urus?

Just wondering
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
First, the Discovery and Range Rover are two completely different models. At that point, you might as well bring up an X3 vs an X7, which is a fairly useless discussion.

Second, and in fairness, I'm comparing trim levels of one model, not different vehicles that share a chassis or basis, as is the comparison you've made with Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti.

Third, you're still driving an X7, just one with Alpina badging. Your leather wallet brand comparison doesn't work, neither does the Vegas/Atlantic City comparison because the companies (read: cities or wallets in your example) aren't different. The only thing I don’t like about the X7 ALPINA is the base wheels. Looks way way too retro 1980’s in a bad way. You still need to option up the ALPINA to get a vehicle worthy of its price point. If that is worth it over a equally optioned X7 M50i is very subjective. I am glad BMW has it and pushing even more high end.

The proper comparison would be a Range Rover Autobiography vs an HSE, or a Maybach GLS vs a GLS 580. In both of those instances, the brands have made huge changes over the base vehicle, not just a different engine and a couple badge swaps. But, maybe I'm missing something.

As such, maybe someone with a better explanation can chime in. If it's just badging and the exclusivity, that's cool. At that point, why not just pony up the extra dough and pick up a Bentayga, DBX, or Urus?

Just wondering
The Bentayga is a mid size SUV. I wasn’t that impressed with it either. Had RR for 7 long months of hell and never again. Honestly the X7 is in its own league as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-11-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Third, you're still driving an X7, just one with Alpina badging. Your leather wallet brand comparison doesn't work, neither does the Vegas/Atlantic City comparison because the companies (read: cities or wallets in your example) aren't different.

Just wondering
I am Mercedes guy, drove 2 GLS in the row, then I decide go for X7.
Did research, saw XB7 spied test drives, and pictures, but wasn't available at the time. So, went for loaded X7 4.0 Msport 94K MSRP, almost fully loaded. Underpower
Installed RaceChip plus XLR, feel little bit better. Then, through BimmerCode unlocked Sport Plus, even better.
Finally, XB7 went to my radar, and I don't care if its 33K more or 44K more.
As soon as I want exclusivity and something unique, don't give damn how much is it. Everything depends if I can afford it. Yes, I can.
Do I need Bentley or RR? Ferrari or Lamborghini? Not really. Can I afford it? Never ask myself this question?
Now to the point: Would I ask people, why you choose Bentley Bentayaga? It is 10K more then XB7 Alpina. Go for XB7. But they want whatever they want. And I would never ask them about.
I don't care if you choose to save 33K and take something that thousands driving around. I want to be one out of 275 XB7 owners.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56283.50
      08-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #21
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The Bentayga is a mid size SUV. I wasn’t that impressed with it either. Had RR for 7 long months of hell and never again. Honestly the X7 is in its own league as far as I am concerned.
EXACTLY!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
EXACTLY!!
The only thing I don’t care for with the X7 ALPINA is the base wheels. Way too retro looking. The 23” wheels are magnificent. Even the X7 ALPINA needs to be optioned out to get a flagship feel and I can’t imagine owners not going all out. The question if a fully optioned up X7 ALPINA is worth it over a similar loaded up X7 M50i is purely subjective. I am just glad BMW is aiming more up market. I never felt any customer buying a $125k SUV wouldn’t balk at a $175k SUV if that’s what they wanted. $50k at this level is a non issue.

On a similar theme, the GLS63 AMG styling inside and out does nothing for me. Too conservative and van like in many angels. The cockpit design is going to be outdated soon since MB is changing the S-Class interior with a absurd tablet jetting out of the dash.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-11-2020 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0