BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum ALPINA XB7 Begins Production; 2020 Positions Sold Out

08-11-2020, 07:17 PM   #23
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The only thing I don’t care for with the X7 ALPINA is the base wheels. Way too retro looking. The 23” wheels are magnificent. Even the X7 ALPINA needs to be optioned out to get a flagship feel and I can’t imagine owners not going all out. The question if a fully optioned up X7 ALPINA is worth it over a similar loaded up X7 M50i is purely subjective. I am just glad BMW is aiming more up market. I never felt any customer buying a $125k SUV wouldn’t balk at a $175k SUV if that’s what they wanted. $50k at this level is a non issue.

On a similar theme, the GLS63 AMG styling inside and out does nothing for me. Too conservative and van like in many angels. The cockpit design is going to be outdated soon since MB is changing the S-Class interior with a absurd tablet jetting out of the dash.

Yeah that’s my issue, Alpina it loaded M50. Honestly the M50 likely wins that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Are going to see a X7M any time soon?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #25
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-...etails-photos/
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
No. If ever you will see it, it would be in the 7 series car first. M is not what the 7 series is all about. The M760li would be ruined if it was made to drive stiffer for owners to pretend these are a track car.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-11-2020 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:11 AM   #27
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
First, the Discovery and Range Rover are two completely different models. At that point, you might as well bring up an X3 vs an X7, which is a fairly useless discussion.

Second, and in fairness, I'm comparing trim levels of one model, not different vehicles that share a chassis or basis, as is the comparison you've made with Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti.

Third, you're still driving an X7, just one with Alpina badging. Your leather wallet brand comparison doesn't work, neither does the Vegas/Atlantic City comparison because the companies (read: cities or wallets in your example) aren't different.

The proper comparison would be a Range Rover Autobiography vs an HSE, or a Maybach GLS vs a GLS 580. In both of those instances, the brands have made huge changes over the base vehicle, not just a different engine and a couple badge swaps. But, maybe I'm missing something.

As such, maybe someone with a better explanation can chime in. If it's just badging and the exclusivity, that's cool. At that point, why not just pony up the extra dough and pick up a Bentayga, DBX, or Urus?

Just wondering
I have a Bentayga and a Continental GT Speed but that is way too much flash to drive to my work and in front of my employees. My 2019 Cayenne Turbo was my daily driver ( 35K on it in 16 months) just bought back by Porsche.

You can also make the argument that the V8 shared in the CTT, Bentayga and URUS are from Audi. That these 3 SUVs share the same chassis, and have an upcharge with a fancier name plate. Most of the parts numbers cross reference to VW parts. But anyone driven these 3 SUVs know that they drive wildly different and cater to 3 distinct crowds. Over on the Audi forum, most will say that the Q7 (once again share the chassis and a lot of internals with the above named 3) is about 85% of the fancier name plates. They question the value and sanity of the people buying the Urus, Bentayga and the Cayennes . Different strokes for different folks. I am not sure the people buying Alpina's are looking for value. I sure wasn't. I like the thought of extra cooling, sportier air suspension setup, supporting once a boutique manufacturer, the classic Alpina body kit which might not equate to the extra delta, but who cares.

I wanted something unique that wasn't screaming "Hey look at me" like my Bentley would. At the same time, having a growing family, I needed the size of a larger SUV without going domestic. I was actually going to order the X7 M5.0 until the Alpina was introduced. I figured most will think I am driving a regular X7 anyway which is what I wanted. I know what I am driving and the BMW fanboys will likely know what kind of unique SAV this is.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 3
LittleJoe1064.00
ando1954.50
      08-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #28
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Maybe someone can point it out but I don't understand where the extra roughly $33K premium over a fully loaded M50i is coming from? The bulk of change appears to be the engine and then they stuck some Alpina badges on the inside.

This Alpina doesn't have the Lavalina leather or the signature blue or green colors available. And, you actually have to pay $2,600 more to get the Alpina classic wheels.

What's the premium for?
Exclusivity, performance, heritage.

The same reasons people opt for the E63s AMG wagon over the e350.

You make it sound like they just slap a different badge on it along with an ECU tune...

Next time do a few minutes of research on Alpina's racing heritage and their world renowned attention to detail before hopping on here and looking silly.

The fact that they are already sold out speaks for itself.
MystroX56246.00
      08-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #29
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

we have one coming
you had to have a sold unit to get one I believe and could not just order one for stock. Im excited to see this when it comes in

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #30
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Would never buy but this thing looks mean. I'd order one in all black everything.
      08-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #31
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I have a Bentayga and a Continental GT Speed but that is way too much flash to drive to my work and in front of my employees. My 2019 Cayenne Turbo was my daily driver ( 35K on it in 16 months) just bought back by Porsche.

You can also make the argument that the V8 shared in the CTT, Bentayga and URUS are from Audi. That these 3 SUVs share the same chassis, and have an upcharge with a fancier name plate. Most of the parts numbers cross reference to VW parts. But anyone driven these 3 SUVs know that they drive wildly different and cater to 3 distinct crowds. Over on the Audi forum, most will say that the Q7 (once again share the chassis and a lot of internals with the above named 3) is about 85% of the fancier name plates. They question the value and sanity of the people buying the Urus, Bentayga and the Cayennes . Different strokes for different folks. I am not sure the people buying Alpina's are looking for value. I sure wasn't. I like the thought of extra cooling, sportier air suspension setup, supporting once a boutique manufacturer, the classic Alpina body kit which might not equate to the extra delta, but who cares.

I wanted something unique that wasn't screaming "Hey look at me" like my Bentley would. At the same time, having a growing family, I needed the size of a larger SUV without going domestic. I was actually going to order the X7 M5.0 until the Alpina was introduced. I figured most will think I am driving a regular X7 anyway which is what I wanted. I know what I am driving and the BMW fanboys will likely know what kind of unique SAV this is.
To the point, Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #32
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post

You make it sound like they just slap a different badge on it along with an ECU tune...

Next time do a few minutes of research on Alpina's racing heritage and their world renowned attention to detail before hopping on here and looking silly.

Agree to everything you just said!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #33
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post

Or, and here's a novel idea, next time just answer the question and tell me what they did to the vehicle, before you start name calling.

Folks jump on this forum to defend companies like they own them.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #34
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Or, and here's a novel idea, next time just answer the question and tell me what they did to the vehicle, before you start name calling.

Folks jump on this forum to defend companies like they own them.
As many people around, many different opinions.

I have mine, you have yours.

It is irrelevant ask people who really wait for XB7 to come if they ready to pay 30K more to have it.

Create another tread for people who want spend 30K less and have loaded X7 M50. And I promise, no one will come and say why you didn't pay 30k more to have Alpina.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #35
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep

14 Alpinas went to production:

8 production started
4 assembly finished/quality check
2 at processing center

Last two coming soon to:

Maimi, FL
Fort Worth, TX

Both: 475 Black Sapphire Metallic/ZBSW (Ind) Black Full Merino Leather

Congratulation to first XB7 owners!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #36
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am so happy for our few forum members that has one on the way. Most will never ever see one in the wild.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #37
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Excited to hear first impressions!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      08-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #38
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

What I dont get is why modify the 50i for the alpina version...if they are truly race car inspired then they should have modified the m50i. It would have looked much better and they could have named is xb7m =).

Plus I still cant believe they used the 40i steering wheel...that m sport steering wheel looks so much better.

The x7 is truly the best imo for a full sized suv, but I really cant wait til the new escalade comes out. Not really a fan of domestic suvs but they are really getting better...even the new navigator is really nice.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0