BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2020 or 2021 x7 40i

06-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

2020 or 2021 x7 40i

Hey guys...I have been looking at all the new large suvs including navigator, escalade, gls and decided to purchase 2 x7s. I believe the x7 with msport looks the best out of all of them except for maybe the 2021 escalade with the all black trim in white.

I heard the new 2021 x7 is going to have the mild hybrid system which im not sure makes a huge difference in anything but I always do love new tech...however the 2020s are on a bigger discount with the .9% financing. 2020 x7 with msrp of $91k is about $13k off with .9%...best I can get on 2021 with msrp of $91k is about $10k off with incentives when the car comes in but most likely there will be nothing so financing at about 2.9%.

I wouldnt mind going with the 2020 but I cannot get the car exactly the way my wife and mom wants as the cars are for them. They both want msport with running boards and there just arent any built that way...and if I build out a 2020 with the extended leather it will automatically push them to 2021 is what I was told.

So my question to you guys would be should I just take advantage of the discounts and go with something thats not exactly what we want and hope they come out with aftermarket parts for it? or forgo the extra discounts and go for exactly what I want? if you include the finance savings the total savings comes out to about $8k over 5 years.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I posed a very similar question and I took the advice of many on this forum - I selected a customized newbuild and chose the exact specs I wanted, even though it cost me ~$6K+ more (since alternative would've been an existing car off the lot with 95% of my option criteria and 2K demo miles).

That said, depending on the options that you want, several options are NOT AVAILABLE for the 2021 X7 40i model so I would definitely check on that - in which case you may be faced with two options, neither of which have all of the options you want. Then it's a judgement call on saving the $8K.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
If the only real roadblock for the two recipients of these X7s is M-Sport with running boards, and you can find 2020's available in dealer inventory inventory that check every other block, then you could look into a running board retrofit with all OEM/stock parts. Getting running boards this way will of course be more expensive than the option from the factory, due to the labor to install and paint a few pieces. But you might be able to get the running board retro-fit thrown in as part of the deal at a reasonable price depending on how eager the dealer wants to make a deal. The parts info can be found here so you can shop around to see how much it will cost to do (either by the dealer or a body shop). The dealer will be able to use the part numbers for the running board retro-fit kit:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_5172

But if you have not done so already, make sure your wife and mom really need the running boards or just want them, by having them do an extensive "parking lot" test drive to see if the running boards are a big deal from a day to day use perspective. For example, when I first read about the churn of the running boards on the forums, I spent about 10 min at the dealer paying specific attention the running boards, getting in/out multiple times in multiple ways. The dealer probably thought I was nuts, but it gave the insight I needed to determine if the running boards would be a good fit for me or not. Opinions on the use and functionality of the OEM running boards vary (do a search on this forum to see what I mean) so your wife and mom could realize that running boards are not that big of a deal.

At the end of the day, I think you should always try to get what you want to maximize the full enjoyment of your vehicle purchase - you don't want to have any "buyers remorse" if you can avoid it. The challenging part is determining what are the true "must haves" vs "nice to haves" so that you can make an informed decision about your purchase.

Good luck!

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      06-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Simply get what you want, otherwise it will haunt you. Specially with such a price range.
      06-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #5
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

thanks guys...so I ended up purchasing a 2020 for my mom that was on the lot with 8 miles on it...almost had every option she wanted except for the running boards. got a really good deal plus the 0.9% apr.

also ordered a 2021 white on ivory just the way I wanted for the wife...my wife drove the 2020 off the lot to our house and she cant wait to get hers...she loves the way it feels and drives.

so many reviews on youtube hated the glass controls but i dont see how anyone gets this without it as it makes it seem less cheap...tell you the truth i even like it lol.

the car drives so nice...wonder what the 2021 hybrid is going to bring if anything.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0