BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What are some must haves for the X7?

04-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #23
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

everything except rear seat entertainment because my kids prefer their iPads
      04-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #24
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
I’m the 1% who prefers the rear seat entertainment. When we’re on trips, I don’t wanna download several movies/shows onto each iPad to keep them occupied. I prefer just popping in one of the 2,438 kid dvds we’ve accumulated and keep on driving. Our salesperson tried to talk me out of it, but I’m old school on this one. Plus, I just think it looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #25
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
I’m the 1% who prefers the rear seat entertainment. When we’re on trips, I don’t wanna download several movies/shows onto each iPad to keep them occupied. I prefer just popping in one of the 2,438 kid dvds we’ve accumulated and keep on driving. Our salesperson tried to talk me out of it, but I’m old school on this one. Plus, I just think it looks cool.
I've got an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and so my little one uses his iPad tethered to my phone and streams Netflix and YouTube videos the whole journey. No such thing as 'downloads' for me anymore. Easy as can be.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #26
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

I'd opt for the Rear Seat Entertainment as well.

After all, BMW's system is fully integrated so it's not just capable of showing a movie.

In that regards, it can do much more than an iPad.

Of course, the question is if you WANT you children doing that "much more" in the first place...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #27
no_whereman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBeem View Post
I'm building my X7 and was just wondering if you wished you had added something or was glad you got it and couldn't live without it now.
Quote:
I'm building my X7 and was just wondering if you wished you had added something or was glad you got it and couldn't live without it now.
For me, the Driving Assistant, hands down (or rather, hands off &#128522
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #28
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
I'd opt for the Rear Seat Entertainment as well.

After all, BMW's system is fully integrated so it's not just capable of showing a movie.

In that regards, it can do much more than an iPad.

Of course, the question is if you WANT you children doing that "much more" in the first place...
We got the iPad holders the kids really enjoy it and with travel comfort system they look really custom. Kids watch YouTube,Netflix and Amazon Prime. You also have Apple Music and thousands of Apps. Sorry I just don't see how you think the Entertainment system is more capable. It is a bit sleeker looking I will give you that.

The WiFi in the X7 is plenty capable to stream what ever they want. Personally I would save the $2k and spend $200 on the holders and buy a pair of iPad mini for about $600 and you will be ahead $1,200
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #29
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
Quote:
You know you can rip all those moves and put them on a network drive or you can use your home computer as a server. You can use free software called PLEX. You just need to download the software on your computer and install the app. Then you can use the WiFi in the car for the iPads to stream your DVDs and no need to carry around your DVD collection and you can serve up your movies anytime. Personally I think IPADS are more capable than the BMW Entertainment system. You can buy the holders and dedicated iPads and still be ahead $1,200. The holders with iPad mini's look really custom maybe not quite as sleek as the entertainment system but close. Unlimited data plan $20 through ATT.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #30
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I've got an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and so my little one uses his iPad tethered to my phone and streams Netflix and YouTube videos the whole journey. No such thing as 'downloads' for me anymore. Easy as can be.
Even easier: we plug in an Amazon Fire Stick in, and my kids have unlimited access through the rear seat entertainment to live TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc. just like we are at home.

I like the rear seat entertainment. Would buy it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #31
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
We got the iPad holders the kids really enjoy it and with travel comfort system they look really custom. Kids watch YouTube,Netflix and Amazon Prime. You also have Apple Music and thousands of Apps. Sorry I just don't see how you think the Entertainment system is more capable. It is a bit sleeker looking I will give you that.
As I previously mentioned, it's not just about entertainment features.

BMW's RSE shines in regards to its SYSTEM-INTEGRATION.

You can basically change all media-settings for the vehicle speakers from there. Heck, you can even adjust the interior-illumination. Not sure an iPad can do that.

You can also access the map/navigation features.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #32
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post

My recommendation to skip the running boards is based on past experience with them on all three of our GL/GLS's. We rarely if ever used them and they got my pant legs dirty all to often. I haven't actually tried them or even seen them on the X7.
I have the running boards on the X7 and I can't speak to your Mercedes experiences but the BMW experience is completely different.

This "dirty pants legs" thing, for the 3 years and 36,000 miles we put on our X5, it never happened to myself or my wife once, not one time. And here a few days in on the X7 same story, the running boards have not touched my legs or my wife's, and it has been exceptionally necessary for small children getting into the 3rd row.

I've chosen to put my thoughts in the "Running Boards" thread here, with extensive photographs and measurements:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post24696564

For the benefit of the group, might I recommend that you refrain from mentioning "dirty pants legs" again; what you experienced with your Mercedes I have never experienced with my BMW's for the past 3+ years or any other SUV's going back 20 and they are a quite necessary accessory for children, elders, and anyone who uses a roof-mounted accessory.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #33
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can basically change all media-settings for the vehicle speakers from there. Heck, you can even adjust the interior-illumination. Not sure an iPad can do that.

I guess if you intend to use the X7 as a Limo with adults in the back having those features are nice, but for most people kids will be the primary second row passengers and most will not want the kids controlling the radio illumination etc... So not much of advantage over iPads and I am sure bmw made it so you can disable these features for the rear if not could be more of nuisance with kids having that much control.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #34
masmole
Captain
Rep

Quote:

And this is precisely why the RSE has no value for me. My kids are 4 and 6. I have no need or desire to give them ANY control over interior illumination, vehicle speakers, maps, or any other vehicle systems, nor do they even care about any of that. They just want the same iPads they use at home, and all the games and same educational apps they use at the iPads they use at school and pre-K, and movies they stream from kids Netflix profiles, and movie library from the Infuse app that gets synced to our media server at home. In that regard and for my kids' purposes, the iPads are far more versatile and capable than the RSE. Like someone said, for me the X7 will not be an executive vehicle where an adult will be sitting back there ever. Just my small kids.
      04-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
And this is precisely why the RSE has no value for me. My kids are 4 and 6. I have no need or desire to give them ANY control over interior illumination, vehicle speakers, maps, or any other vehicle systems, nor do they even care about any of that. They just want the same iPads they use at home, and all the games and same educational apps they use at the iPads they use at school and pre-K, and movies they stream from kids Netflix profiles, and movie library from the Infuse app that gets synced to our media server at home. In that regard and for my kids' purposes, the iPads are far more versatile and capable than the RSE. Like someone said, for me the X7 will not be an executive vehicle where an adult will be sitting back there ever. Just my small kids.
Fair enough.

I'm just happy that BMW offers a system that actually has a system-integration. For me, as a tech-geek with no kids at all, this system is simply something special.

On my 2017 Q7, I decided against the RSE because for the same price as on the BMW, you get an outdated system with NO vehicle integration at all. There is not even a physical connection between the system and the MMI. Not even to its speakers.

It's great that BMW offers options. I could also make the point that the rear captain's chairs have no value if you have small kids but I still appreciate that you can configure your vehicle with them if you like. Although I won't be getting them, there is no point in claiming that they are "bad".

On a vehicle like the X7, it's all about options and the RSE on the X7 is one that actually deserves to be on such a vehicle and has a far better value than the those of many competitors.
Appreciate 1
SW192441.50
      04-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #36
masmole
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough.

I'm just happy that BMW offers a system that actually has a system-integration. For me, as a tech-geek with no kids at all, this system is simply something special.

On my 2017 Q7, I decided against the RSE because for the same price as on the BMW, you get an outdated system with NO vehicle integration at all. There is not even a physical connection between the system and the MMI. Not even to its speakers.

It's great that BMW offers options. I could also make the point that the rear captain's chairs have no value if you have small kids but I still appreciate that you can configure your vehicle with them if you like. Although I won't be getting them, there is no point in claiming that they are "bad".

On a vehicle like the X7, it's all about options and the RSE on the X7 is one that actually deserves to be on such a vehicle and has a far better value than the those of many competitors.
I hear ya, I have a '17 Q7 as well, and I do have the RSE on it, and it is plain awful. Like you said the Q7's RSE has no connection to the MMI, which already loses its value considering it costs the same as the BMW system. But that's not where the real problem is. The real problem is that it runs on an extremely outdated version of Android, and you can't even update it to a newer version because of hardware limitations. The Audi's RSE's processor as it runs on an old Android system is so slow and dated that it struggles to play some videos without choppiness and audio sync issues. Sometimes it just crashes when running Android apps like Netflix. Really bad.

I suspect that the BMW system, which I believe also runs on the Android OS, will not only have better processing power but also a more current version of Android, which I hope will be user-upgradeable in the future. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?
      04-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #37
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough.

I give you that you do get a lot for just $2k with the BMW RSE. I paid $ 1,500 for one screen in my Escalade that was not even close to as capable as the BMW system. It does look nice and has some bling factor. If BMW did not have the sleek IPad holders I would have added the RSE also.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #38
masmole
Captain
Rep

If I order my X7 with the RSE system, can I easily remove one or both of them and swap in one of those iPad holder systems for when my kids want their iPads during longer road trips? Are the mounting ports the same for both RSE and accessory iPad holders?
      04-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #39
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

See a lot of you commented on getting driving assistances, RSE, HUD, running boards or not! Cold weather package but no one mentioned M-sport package or DYnamic handling as a must have. Any reason?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #40
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See a lot of you commented on getting driving assistances, RSE, HUD, running boards or not! Cold weather package but no one mentioned M-sport package or DYnamic handling as a must have. Any reason?
I did not get the Dynamic handling package because I use my X7 for a family hauler, so don't plan to throw this big SUV around corners. I have an Audi S5 Sportback for that. Although it would nice to have a tighter turning radius with the X7.

As for as the M vs Luxury, those are just appearance packages and very subjective. Personally I wanted running boards and 757 wheels and those features only available with Luxury package. I am also one of the few who prefer chrome accents over black with my Mineral White X7. I do wish BMW gave an option to get the Alcantera head liner with luxury package and be able to get the Congac interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #41
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Quote:
I did not get the Dynamic handling package because I use my X7 for a family hauler, so don't plan to throw this big SUV around corners. I have an Audi S5 Sportback for that. Although it would nice to have a tighter turning radius with the X7.

As for as the M vs Luxury, those are just appearance packages and very subjective. Personally I wanted running boards and 757 wheels and those features only available with Luxury package. I am also one of the few who prefer chrome accents over black with my Mineral White X7. I do wish BMW gave an option to get the Alcantera head liner with luxury package and be able to get the Congac interior.
Don't you also get the M-sport brake with m-sport package? How are the luxury brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #42
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't you also get the M-sport brake with m-sport package? How are the luxury brakes?
We don't have the M-Sport package but our X7 stops just fine. I get what he's saying above, the X7 isn't a sports sedan, it's a luxury people hauler. I bought a 50i because of the great deal but would rather have the 40i for the same reason. Just my view but I understand why others may want a more sportier version.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #43
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:

Same. I don’t like the black trim on the mineral white, so I went with Luxury (also for the running boards). But then the only way to get alcantara is with the ivory/navy interior, so I had to go with that one. I did, however, do dynamic handling because my husband is a true car guy and wouldn’t have it any other way. I do think I’ll like the turning radius.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #44
masmole
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, the M-sport package does not include M-sport brakes, but you are required to spec the M-sport package in order to spec the $650 M-sport brakes as an add-on option.