BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Experience after 80K Miles?

06-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep
Drives: BMW X7,Lexus GS 350

Garage List
Experience after 80K Miles?

Hello! I am new here so please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I didn't find much information when searching the forum.I had two different dealerships discourage me from buying an M50i because I tend to keep my cars a while and they told me I will start having engine problems at 80K miles. I noticed most of you have purchased the M50i so wondering if you have heard this before or had any personal experiences with your other BMWs? I ended up ordering the 40i based on this, but the more I read your comments I am wondering if I should cancel that and go with the M sitting at the dealership that they ordered to my exact specifications (minus the B&W upgrade) vs waiting for my week 30 build!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
Hello! I am new here so please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I didn't find much information when searching the forum.I had two different dealerships discourage me from buying an M50i because I tend to keep my cars a while and they told me I will start having engine problems at 80K miles. I noticed most of you have purchased the M50i so wondering if you have heard this before or had any personal experiences with your other BMWs? I ended up ordering the 40i based on this, but the more I read your comments I am wondering if I should cancel that and go with the M sitting at the dealership that they ordered to my exact specifications (minus the B&W upgrade) vs waiting for my week 30 build!
Historically (and if you search the various BMW forums enough), the BMW 8-cyl engines are not known for their reliability, especially after the new car warranty period. On the other hand, BMW is known for making very reliable inline 6-cyl engines. The B58 engine in the 40i, along with a host of other BMW models that use this engine, seems to be continuing that basic BMW trend. I plan to keep my X7 for the long haul and chose the 40i over the 50i/M50i for this reason. Of course, YMMV, but that is why the dealerships gave you that advice (if you can talk to some BMW techs, they will give you even more insight on this topic which will support that advice).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 5
      06-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Historically (and if you search the various BMW forums enough), the BMW 8-cyl engines are not known for their reliability, especially after the new car warranty period. On the other hand, BMW is known for making very reliable inline 6-cyl engines. The B58 engine in the 40i, along with a host of other BMW models that use this engine, seems to be continuing that basic BMW trend. I plan to keep my X7 for the long haul and chose the 40i over the 50i/M50i for this reason. Of course, YMMV, but that is why the dealerships gave you that advice (if you can talk to some BMW techs, they will give you even more insight on this topic which will support that advice).
I second that opinion. I own 3 BMWs with the inline 6 engine and I have to say they are very reliable and never had a single issue with them. The only thing I ever did to one is change the overhead gasket and cover after 7 years. My brother has the V8 on his F10. It's 5 years old so no issues yet but it is definitely costing him way more in maintenance compared to my inline 6. I have a 2020 40i X7 on order myself for the same exact reason of longevity and maintenance. The BMW I6 are amazing engines.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I second that opinion. I own 3 BMWs with the inline 6 engine and I have to say they are very reliable and never had a single issue with them. The only thing I ever did to one is change the overhead gasket and cover after 7 years. My brother has the V8 on his F10. It's 5 years old so no issues yet but it is definitely costing him way more in maintenance compared to my inline 6. I have a 2020 40i X7 in order myself for the same exact reason of longevity and maintenance. The BMW I6 are amazing engines.
What's so different about the maintenance that's costing way more?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
If you search the net, you will find all sorts of articles about the N63 that tell the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... Below is a link that discusses the poor reliability history of the original N63:

https://bmwtuning.co/n63-engine-problems/

Below is another article that talks about the revisions and improvements BMW has made to the N63 family of engines over the years:

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63t...tu2-vs-n63tu3/

I actually applaud BMW for sticking with and improving this engine. Based on the second article (and others I have seen), the future does look brighter for the N63. However, due to the past issues, it will probably be a while before the N63 reputation improves to the level of BMW's inline 6-cyl (if at all), especially in the eyes of the techs who work on them.

Of course YMMV. But with proper preventative maintenance, which typically means doing a bit more than than the "included" maintenance that comes with all new BMWs, you can typically improve short or long term reliability of any engine.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I second that opinion. I own 3 BMWs with the inline 6 engine and I have to say they are very reliable and never had a single issue with them. The only thing I ever did to one is change the overhead gasket and cover after 7 years. My brother has the V8 on his F10. It's 5 years old so no issues yet but it is definitely costing him way more in maintenance compared to my inline 6. I have a 2020 40i X7 in order myself for the same exact reason of longevity and maintenance. The BMW I6 are amazing engines.
The N63 engine as it was explained to me requires more care and more frequent maintenance. Plus the cost for all changes are higher. It has 2 Air filters (vs 1 for the I6) and they get changed more often. I am sure there are other things. I can ask my brother for more details.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
pchansen
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X7 50i13%C2%92 X328i

Good to read that we all have the latest versions of this engine. "Just" 456hp for me and that is plenty, thank you very much! I plan on driving this thing a long time and so far I'm enjoying every second of it.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you search the net, you will find all sorts of articles about the N63 that tell the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... Below is a link that discusses the poor reliability history of the original N63:

https://bmwtuning.co/n63-engine-problems/

Below is another article that talks about the revisions and improvements BMW has made to the N63 family of engines over the years:

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-n63-vs-n63tu-vs-n63tu2-vs-n63tu3/

I actually applaud BMW for sticking with and improving this engine. Based on the second article (and others I have seen), the future does look brighter for the N63. However, due to the past issues, it will probably be a while before the N63 reputation improves to the level of BMW's inline 6-cyl (if at all), especially in the eyes of the techs who work on them.

Of course YMMV. But with proper preventative maintenance, which typically means doing a bit more than than the "included" maintenance that comes with all new BMWs, you can typically improve short or long term reliability of any engine.
Great articles. It looks like the N63 has come a long way since it's early teething issues. I think it's a more reliable engine now than people give it credit for. I will know for sure as the years of ownership go by. Don't see anything deterring me at this point but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #9
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Just lease it for 3 years...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #10
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

There have been various discussions on this forum asking to compare the 40i vs M50i. Everyone has their own valid reasons, but I will at least pass on the advice given to me by two senior managers at BMW (one was dealership GM and one was a regional district manager). Note they both understood that I drive my cars 7-10 years:
- both strongly recommended the 40i
- M50i not worth the extra cost for what you get (but if money is no object of course go for it)
- the M50i engine has more maintenance issues/challenges/costs later on as it logs mileage/age
- one said he would only sell an M50i to a friend if it was used/CPO (i.e. it already has taken the big depreciation hit and covered under warranty)
- reiterated how tried and true the inline-6 is and its reliability

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn’t push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.

Last edited by BMW-TX; 06-27-2020 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #11
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-TX View Post
There have been various discussions on this forum asking to compare the 40i vs M50i. Everyone has their own valid reasons, but I will at least pass on the advice given to me by two senior managers at BMW (one was dealership GM and one was a regional district manager). Note they both understood that I drive my cars 7-10 years:
- M50i not worth the extra cost for what you get (but if money is no object of course go for it)
- the M50i engine has more maintenance issues/challenges/costs later on as it logs mileage/age
- one said he would only sell an M50i to a friend if it was used/CPO (i.e. it already has taken the big depreciation hit and covered under warranty)

Again, just two perspectives, but I found it interesting they didn’t push me to the M50i when I was clearly willing and ready to spend the extra money. They discouraged me from ordering one, and I ended up going with peace of mind of the 40i, more cash in my pocket and better gas mileage.
Thanks for this! That's pretty much what both dealerships told me and why I opted for the 40i. The drive in the M was fantastic and I was also willing to pay the difference but just doesn't make sense long term. Here's to hoping week 30 gets bumped up! 😬🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:15 PM   #12
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
I thought about it briefly, trust me! I just drive too much to lease!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #13
BMW-TX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Thanks for this! That's pretty much what both dealerships told me and why I opted for the 40i. The drive in the M was fantastic and I was also willing to pay the difference but just doesn't make sense long term. Here's to hoping week 30 gets bumped up! 😬🤣
Completely agree with the M. It is so fast and was too “dangerous” for me in my hands - I was doing 80-90 on the test drive without even realizing it. Drive was too smooth and quiet. I loved it which is why I really thought hard about getting it. However, the 40i was plenty quick enough (certainly didn’t lack speed) and as the intent is to haul around my kids, having some limitation on speed was a good thing for me. 🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:26 PM   #14
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Completely agree with the M. It is so fast and was too “dangerous” for me in my hands - I was doing 80-90 on the test drive without even realizing it. Drive was too smooth and quiet. I loved it which is why I really thought hard about getting it. However, the 40i was plenty quick enough (certainly didn’t lack speed) and as the intent is to haul around my kids, having some limitation on speed was a good thing for me. 🤣
Same!! Too funny. I expect we'll both push the limits on what we'll have and be just fine!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #15
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

This is exactly the same basic logic I used and why I went with the 40i. That and the fact I am fortunate enough to have another very reliable, modern and powerful BMW inline 6-cyl engine in another BMW to scratch the speed/power/performance itch. But then the X7 40i is not that slow either. I find myself having to routinely slow down in the X7 on a few twisties close to my house that I usually crush with my M3 - I didn't have that "problem" with my previous Ford Expedition SUV .

Last edited by jmciver; 06-28-2020 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 05:14 AM   #16
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree the 6cyl doesn't lack speed but on my test drive I felt like I was pushing it around but with the 8cyl I felt I had to hold it back like it effortlessly wanted to run. Don't know if that makes sense to you guys lol

It's kinda like how I felt looking at a 4cyl vs 6cyl X3. I don't like to feel I am pushing a vehicle constantly when I am driving. I like to feel that I'm holding it back and in an opportunity I can let it go for a run e.g. in a quick overtake or mountain road. Funny enough the sales people back then were trying to convince me to buy the smaller engine as well but I opted for the "overkill" engine as they put it. I never once regretted buying the "overkill" in the few years I've owned the 6cyl X3.

So here I am today faced with the same dilemma. I opted for the "overkill" again with the 8cyl and hopefully it won't lead to regrets but I have learnt that caring and doing proper maintenance can be a big factor in longevity of the BMW engine.

Also, I keep my cars usually for over 10 years so that's a long time to regret an engine that doesn't bring a smile to my face every day. I've also done that before and although it was a great vehicle that got the kids and I to where we needed to go after a while I found myself wanting to borrow my wife's vehicle (BMW) more and more when she wasn't using it for work since it had a better smile to my face factor.

So with my prior experiences in tow I've now gone to the dark side with my first BMW V8 I'll update after 10 years of ownership on if this was a smart decision or not.
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #17
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Completely agree with the M. It is so fast and was too "dangerous" for me in my hands - I was doing 80-90 on the test drive without even realizing it. Drive was too smooth and quiet. I loved it which is why I really thought hard about getting it. However, the 40i was plenty quick enough (certainly didn't lack speed) and as the intent is to haul around my kids, having some limitation on speed was a good thing for me. 🤣
I agree the 6cyl doesn't lack speed but on my test drive I felt like I was pushing it around but with the 8cyl I felt I had to hold it back like it effortlessly wanted to run. Don't know if that makes sense to you guys lol

It's kinda like how I felt looking at a 4cyl vs 6cyl X3. I don't like to feel I am pushing a vehicle constantly when I am driving. I like to feel that I'm holding it back and in an opportunity I can let it go for a run e.g. in a quick overtake or mountain road. Funny enough the sales people back then were trying to convince me to buy the smaller engine as well but I opted for the "overkill" engine as they put it. I never once regretted buying the "overkill" in the few years I've owned the 6cyl X3.

So here I am today faced with the same dilemma. I opted for the "overkill" again with the 8cyl and hopefully it won't lead to regrets but I have learnt that caring and doing proper maintenance can be a big factor in longevity of the BMW engine.

Also, I keep my cars usually for over 10 years so that's a long time to regret an engine that doesn't bring a smile to my face every day. I've also done that before and although it was a great vehicle that got the kids and I to where we needed to go after a while I found myself wanting to borrow my wife's vehicle (BMW) more and more when she wasn't using it for work since it had a better smile to my face factor.

So with my prior experiences in tow I've now gone to the dark side with my first BMW V8 I'll update after 10 years of ownership on if this was a smart decision or not.
LOL! We'll look forward to the 10 year update! 🤣🤣🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #18
cvp33
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘19 Z06, ‘20 X7, ‘21 Traverse

As already stated. The 40i is already quick enough for my wife’s non-minivan. Already have a vehicle to test the limits of physics. We had an M4 CS with us at the track last week. Always nice to see those get on track.

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 12:13 AM   #19
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
I thought about it briefly, trust me! I just drive too much to lease!
Just write the lease with the miles you need to drive....:
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 06:28 AM   #20
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
As already stated. The 40i is already quick enough for my wife's non-minivan. Already have a vehicle to test the limits of physics. We had an M4 CS with us at the track last week. Always nice to see those get on track.

Sweet!! That was supposed to be my next car but I kinda need room for my husband and son! 🤣🤣🤣
Appreciate 1
cvp3332.00
      08-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

I had a 2011 550 with the N63 engine and it was sweet...luckily I didn't have any serious issues with it other than it burned oil like crazy. I sold it with 80k miles on it after 10 years (not a long commute) as other maintenance issues started to pile up. I used the settlement from the class action to apply to my 2019 X5 with the inline 6 and it is a wonderful engine, plenty of smooth power and punches when I need it. I plan to order the 40 for my wife when she replaces her GL350 with an X7 later this year.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #22
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

Unfortunately, BMW has made the B&W audio exclusive to the M50i now, and that's something many of us wanted on our X7's. Makes it more frustrating to consider a 40i.
Appreciate 2