BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Trunk closed on my 9yo daughter’s fingers. Ouch.

06-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Trunk closed on my 9yo daughter’s fingers. Ouch.

I was surprised the car allowed this to happen. She was leaning against the car when we were packing the car to leave the beach, and in the chaos of dusting sand off everyone and packing the beach chairs, I pressed the button on the trunk, then looked and saw her hand leaning there, told her to move it, but I guess not loud enough. These motorized trunks are terrifying. Once it came down and latched, and she and I realized what happened, and then it clamps down and the gear takes over and closed it to full closed. She and I both scream and I frantically try and scramble to get it opened. I press the button but there’s a delay so I’m running around to the front and it finally released.

Again just really surprised from a safety perspective they let that happen. In the end nothing broken and just some bruising; but just scary. Makes you miss the old fashioned trunks for a moment. Yes you slam it, but I know I can instantly open and release mechanically without having to wait on electronics.
r33_RGSport12912.50
      06-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Scary indeed. I am glad she is ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
I was surprised the car allowed this to happen. She was leaning against the car when we were packing the car to leave the beach, and in the chaos of dusting sand off everyone and packing the beach chairs, I pressed the button on the trunk, then looked and saw her hand leaning there, told her to move it, but I guess not loud enough. These motorized trunks are terrifying. Once it came down and latched, and she and I realized what happened, and then it clamps down and the gear takes over and closed it to full closed. She and I both scream and I frantically try and scramble to get it opened. I press the button but there’s a delay so I’m running around to the front and it finally released.

Again just really surprised from a safety perspective they let that happen. In the end nothing broken and just some bruising; but just scary. Makes you miss the old fashioned trunks for a moment. Yes you slam it, but I know I can instantly open and release mechanically without having to wait on electronics.
Sorry to hear that . That must have been a bit traumatic for a moment there. Hopefully she's doing better.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

I never understood this. My Q7 was the same way. When you open the hatch, there is a delay and then the hatch opens. Wouldn't want to get hit by the smooth clean painted part.

But when you shut the hatch, it closes instantly. Nothing like the pointy parts moving down as soon as you push the button.
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

She’s all good. I was just surprised at how it is designed to let that happen. A stiff breeze while my garage door is closing and the thing stops and opens right up. That trunk was like the jaws of death, couldn’t wait to crunch down on some human flesh.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:50 AM   #6
Buppies
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 SL63, S63

That is awful hope she is ok
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Oh, geez. Thank God she didn't lose some fingers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Very lucky to not be part of this group:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...rs-052118.html
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Very lucky to not be part of this group:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...rs-052118.html
I think that is just ambulance chasing BS. Frankly these doors are way less dangerous than regular doors and especially minivan doors.

My 4 year old son got his fingers stuck in the minivan van door trying to hold it open, fortunately it got stuck between the plastic interior panels so no serious injury. I take full responsible that if that had been a serious injury it would have been on fully on me for not making sure he was properly buckled before closing the door.

Point is people need to be responsible for their own actions and the consequences.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 2
jmciver1832.00
      07-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
I think that is just ambulance chasing BS. Frankly these doors are way less dangerous than regular doors and especially minivan doors.

My 4 year old son got his fingers stuck in the minivan van door trying to hold it open, fortunately it got stuck between the plastic interior panels so no serious injury. I take full responsible that if that had been a serious injury it would have been on fully on me for not making sure he was properly buckled before closing the door.

Point is people need to be responsible for their own actions and the consequences.
Amen brother. Unfortunately that's not the mindset these days.
Appreciate 0