BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW M3 E93 6MT

choosing basic detail kits

Good morning M3ers~
i bought my car about 3 weeks ago. it’s new but 08 model. Basically the car was sitting on the dealer’s lot for almost a year. I read many good detail DIY, tips and detaildomain. I washed, clay, wax(cleaner wax) for my previous home cars ( 2 SUVs and a sedan) for 10+ years. And I want to go to next level (clay, polish and more). I’d like to buy a detail kits, but there are so many choices. I find this GRIOT’s kit seems cheap and contains most essential components (orbit, polish, wax and more). If you know any good deal on detail kits please help this newbie out. Or should I buy component by component. Thank you so much in advance. And, when I get the recommended detail kit, I’ll do full blown DIY write-up.
Ultimate Machine Polish and Wax Kit ~ $240

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do

P.S. i did "search" but there was one post about "washing E93". do i need special glue type to clean my hard top, joints? or just wash, clay (hopefuly polish if i needed) wax as a normal car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

It looks like a decent kit. I don't know much about Griot's stuff other than they have other people make it and put their label on it. I have heard their polishes are very hard to remove. I am not sure about their orbital but I would guess you would never find one in a professional detailers shop. The orbital looks a bit under powered but probably fine for AW. If you had Jerez like I do it might be a different story.

If I were you, I would get a kit like this and save up for a good polisher later on. You won't really need a orbital on a new car for a while.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/DETAILIN..._p/hol_107.htm

Or if you are set on getting a polisher now, take a look at this Porter Cable set.

Be careful, it can be a very addicting and expensive hobby. Congrats on the new car by the way.

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html
      08-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Thank you so much. your answer is the one i am looking for. i'll place an order probably next week. btw, does it come w/ those ladies? =) then i am ordering it NOW
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I think you can buy the t-shirts but thats about it

I have also found the grout sponges to be much better for washing that the mitts. They may be willing to trade them out if you are buying the detail kit.

Let us know how it turns out!
      09-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i am holding off on the purchase. XD but that doesn't mean that i stop searching. =) Thanks guys for great info.!!! oh~ i thought mitts are much better than sponges? and i am not getting the t-shirts XD
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker562 View Post
i am holding off on the purchase. XD but that doesn't mean that i stop searching. =) Thanks guys for great info.!!! oh~ i thought mitts are much better than sponges? and i am not getting the t-shirts XD
Take a look at the different kits here. Lots of options if you want to do it all by hand or if you want to get into machine polishing.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/detai...dpackages.aspx
      09-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks i am still looking. probably get a machine orbit PC and some chemicals.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Do you park your car inside or out? If you park inside try P21s wax. It is the best wax in the world. Doesn't stain black trim and goes easy on and easy off..... You just need to do 2ft by 2 ft sections at a time and wipe the wax off without letting it haze over. Do some google searches and you won't find a bad thing about p21s.
      09-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
Do you park your car inside or out? If you park inside try P21s wax. It is the best wax in the world. Doesn't stain black trim and goes easy on and easy off..... You just need to do 2ft by 2 ft sections at a time and wipe the wax off without letting it haze over. Do some google searches and you won't find a bad thing about p21s.
P21S is great except for the fact that it doesn't last very long. You typically have to reapply in 3-4 weeks.
      09-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys i did search and heard a lot of good things about P21S. and many people saying similar thing as 808MGuy. I do keep my car inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I like the stuff at the dealer. Klasse All in One for a polish followed by Klasse Sealant (maybe even a couple coats). Then you can put the was on top to add some depth.

This may have been posted here already, but it's the bible on many forums for newbs.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=158378

It's LONG, but totally worth the read.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0