BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2024 X7 first ever BMW

03-15-2024, 01:23 PM   #1
NewBMWer
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

2024 X7 first ever BMW

Wow!!!

All I can say, I love this car. However, I am having a frustrating issue. It is brand new, 17 miles on it. I picked it up last night and the salesman couldn't get the QR code to come up while creating the BMW Id. It says there is a bad signal (paraphrasing).

I've read all over the internet, and I've done the following:1) Drove it an hour from the dealer, where I live and tried it.
2) Reset iDrive by holding the on/off for 70 seconds
3) Factory reset the whole car by going into diagnostic mode and resetting it
4) Added the car back in; then I get two with the same VIN and one "In Production"
5) Had the dealer remove it and I signed in again and accepted all of the terms and conditions.

When I log into the BMW app, I see that the last download was 1/25/2024, so I wonder if someone test drove it and got it messed up, however the reset should have taken care of that.

When I log in on the internet I see the phone number and it says everything is ok, but the last download was 1/25/2024.

A "genius" is supposed to call me.

I was wondering if the only way to change the date and time is through the app? I can't change anything regarding the date and time, it says this function is not currently available.

The Sat. Radio works great, I've connected my phone, and it's fine as well. If I could get the right time on the clock, I'd not worry much about the other stuff right now.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:21 PM   #2
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

I could understand the frustration to go thru all this where in it's time to just enjoy the new ride.
Be patient for couple of days and see how things turn out.
Dealer is on the hook to set this right and also you can call bmw north America for help. With Friday and weekend, they have shorter hours of operations. Don't have to wait for them to call you.

Also, just to be sure.. did you login to mybmw from computer? what's the status there? That's to negate any possibility of app using cached info.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:33 PM   #3
AvGeek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' X7 M60i; 22' TRX

We actually just ran into this, albeit for the 2nd user. It sounds like you are having trouble even adding the 1st user, but in case it still helps, we had to log out of the 1st user, use the guest profile, and then attempt to create a new user. Only then would the QR code generate for the 2nd user to be added. Regardless, I feel your frustration, even the dealership "genius" was clueless!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:44 PM   #4
das2050
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, X7 M60

My time got messed up after the last OTA update. I had to set it manually. The automatic time zone is set to the Maldives... not ET. wont let me fix it unless I manually do the time.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 05:14 PM   #5
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
We actually just ran into this, albeit for the 2nd user. It sounds like you are having trouble even adding the 1st user, but in case it still helps, we had to log out of the 1st user, use the guest profile, and then attempt to create a new user. Only then would the QR code generate for the 2nd user to be added. Regardless, I feel your frustration, even the dealership "genius" was clueless!
This was how I resolved my issue and would suggest the same as above.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:43 AM   #6
NewBMWer
Rep

So it was in my garage in the app, and reported the last status a month ago. I've removed it from the app, and reinstalled it. I also removed it when logging into the computer and then added it again from the website, via a computer. I went to add it to the app, and now it needs the QR Code. The car is still not generating the QR Code.

Thank you for the suggestion, I've been at the dealer for 3 hours now. The technicians can't find anything wrong, and they are researching it on the backend.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #7
NewBMWer
Rep

I can't get to that part of the setting, when I try to take it off the automatic setting, it tells me the operation cannot be performed at this time.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 12:50 PM   #8
NewBMWer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
I could understand the frustration to go thru all this where in it's time to just enjoy the new ride.
Be patient for couple of days and see how things turn out.
Dealer is on the hook to set this right and also you can call bmw north America for help. With Friday and weekend, they have shorter hours of operations. Don't have to wait for them to call you.

Also, just to be sure.. did you login to mybmw from computer? what's the status there? That's to negate any possibility of app using cached info.
Thank you for the reply,

I have logged out of everything, computer and the app. In the app I removed the car and am at the point where it wants to scan the QR code to continue. But on the computer I have the care in the garage and have accepted all of the terms and conditions.

My current state is, I've logged out of everything, and I've been at the dealership for 5 hours and now they are going to put it into a deep sleep for another hour or two. They said there were minor communication errors, but nothing major.

I'm not too confident at this point. I am an hour from home, and I would guess they will give me a loaner, or the x7 to drive home and wait on it to fix itself? This is not what I planned to do on a work day. I should have not taken possession of it until it was working.

Live and learn
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:32 PM   #9
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
I ALWAYS arrange a loaner before I ever step foot in the service area. Even for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:43 PM   #10
X7forme
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by das2050 View Post
My time got messed up after the last OTA update. I had to set it manually. The automatic time zone is set to the Maldives... not ET. wont let me fix it unless I manually do the time.
Exact same thing happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #11
NewBMWer
Rep

Update:

When I drove it home from the dealer, the amber light to SOS was off, it has never been on, and when I go to create the QR from BMWid, it doesn't even try, it now goes straight to no signal. I wonder if it was disabled? Also on the way home I got a malfunction with the SOS module error. I never saw that before.

I took it back today, I had to get the New Sales GM involved because service didn't have a loaner. I offered to rent a car from Avis, but the GM got me one out of the used car lot. I beat the Service team there this morning so I turned off the car; when I started it again, the Amber Light on the SOS module was on. But it would not create the QR code.

I heard from the Service Advisor and BMW is telling them to replace the wiring harness from the back of the head unit to the "modem".
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:41 PM   #12
dcoopdeville
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

The module below the shark fin could be the problem. (Water intrusion) Known issue. It will release Gremlins inside and cause havok.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:34 PM   #13
NewBMWer
Rep

New update, yesterday they told me that BMW wants the tech to replace the wiring harness from the back of the head unit.

I've heard nothing today
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:59 PM   #14
NewBMWer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoopdeville View Post
The module below the shark fin could be the problem. (Water intrusion) Known issue. It will release Gremlins inside and cause havok.
I've read this, but I haven't heard that is what they are looking at, yet. But maybe they are and not communicating.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:52 AM   #15
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
Man sucks this happen to you. It's frustrating. That app can be a headache, too. I had to remove it entirely and redownload and sync the ID with QR codes and a new email. But works great now.
      03-25-2024, 12:30 PM   #16
NewBMWer
Rep

The dealer has the car still. The cable bundle to the TCB didn't fix it, so today they ordered a new TCB. They said the part will be here in the next day or two. I guess another week of paying for >90k car and still can't drive it. This is week two.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:52 AM   #17
NewBMWer
Rep

TCB Fixed it, but the tech got something on the right side of the passenger arm rest on the console. So.... they have to order a new lid, it should be here in 5 days or so. This is the worst new car experience I've ever had, and the most I've ever paid for a car. I've bought 3 new vehicles for my wife, and I've had 6 new vehicles, and never have I ever had issues like this. I've owned it for 2 weeks now, had it for 4 days, and in the process of scheduling a 3rd service visit.

I'm so disappointed and deflated on this BMW and the Dealer. Bought it with 7 miles on it, it has 457 just to drive it back and fourth to the dealer, hour away one way. Someone asked if I named my new car, I'm thinking Big Black Rolling Turd.

My truck didn't have any issues, and I asked for it back. It's already gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:17 PM   #18
NewBMWer
Rep

final update, I hope. They came to my house and replaced the arm rest lid for me. So... 1200 miles into it I now love the car again
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2024, 09:24 AM   #19
Madsen203
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBMWer View Post
final update, I hope. They came to my house and replaced the arm rest lid for me. So... 1200 miles into it I now love the car again
Glad to hear it. I only have a ‘21 but I love it equally. Great car, smooth ride, just thoughtful all the way through.
Appreciate 0