BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Tires options ?

03-23-2024, 02:19 PM   #1
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Tires options ?

Hi All - just got my XM Label delivered and noticed the tires are Yokohamas, which apparently come with the 22” wheels. I’ve only ever had MPSS or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my M cars. How’s this tire in comparison? Are they run flats? Worse / better than the pirellis on the 23?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:00 PM   #2
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Hi All - just got my XM Label delivered and noticed the tires are Yokohamas, which apparently come with the 22” wheels. I’ve only ever had MPSS or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my M cars. How’s this tire in comparison? Are they run flats? Worse / better than the pirellis on the 23?
I have 22s also, they are yokos and are non RF. I will probably switch to pirellis RF or contis SSR RF when done. 22s ride better than 23’s
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:53 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
I have 22s also, they are yokos and are non RF. I will probably switch to pirellis RF or contis SSR RF when done. 22s ride better than 23’s
You are going to hate run-flat tires, especially on this vehicle. Expect a bunch of cracked or bent rims when you hit potholes. They ride much rougher because of the thicker sidewalls and this vehicle already rides rough as it is not to mention the excessive weight. This is probably the primary reason why BMW has switched away from them on the entire lineup.

When I switched from run-flats on my M550 to conventional tires, the performance and ride improved significantly. I had to get both passenger side rims repaired as they had three cracks apiece just by driving around the city of Houston. Never cracked again on regular tires.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 04:40 PM   #4
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
You are going to hate run-flat tires, especially on this vehicle. Expect a bunch of cracked or bent rims when you hit potholes. They ride much rougher because of the thicker sidewalls and this vehicle already rides rough as it is not to mention the excessive weight. This is probably the primary reason why BMW has switched away from them on the entire lineup.

When I switched from run-flats on my M550 to conventional tires, the performance and ride improved significantly. I had to get both passenger side rims repaired as they had three cracks apiece just by driving around the city of Houston. Never cracked again on regular tires.
My 2013 X6 had run flats and a old 2004 six series ..while having peace of mind was great. They were so rough. Agreed
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornagain73 View Post
My 2013 X6 had run flats and a old 2004 six series ..while having peace of mind was great. They were so rough. Agreed
Do you know how bad run-flat tires are going to ride on a 6,000+ lb. vehicle with this much power? It’s going to ride like absolute dog shit. It may not be as bad on 22s, but it’s still going to be a lot rougher than it already is now.

When BMW switched away from them, they started including the tire sealant kit in the trunk. I don’t think many people are aware that that is in there. Unless you have a complete blowout, it will serve the same purpose as a run-flat tire up to 50 miles.
Appreciate 1
XM Label904.50
      03-23-2024, 04:47 PM   #6
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

I have a good idea. Lol that’s going to be like having Rocks as wheels.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 05:06 PM   #7
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:

That’s why I went with 22s when I bought the XM to counter the eventual purchase of RFs which have a harsher ride. All my past vehicles all had RFs because I would rather have peace of mind as I put a ton of miles and don’t want to worry about pulling over anywhere…
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 05:09 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
That’s why I went with 22s when I bought the XM to counter the eventual purchase of RFs which have a harsher ride. All my past vehicles all had RFs because I would rather have peace of mind as I put a ton of miles and don’t want to worry about pulling over anywhere…
Zero complaints on the 23s. Zero.

In my opinion, run-flat tires give you a false piece of mind. First off, the slightest pothole will make them bubble which can’t be repaired and require immediate replacement. The same pothole will not cause a problem with a conventional tire. With the sealant kit that comes with all of our vehicles, it will provide the same purpose of giving you around 50 miles unless you have a complete blowout.

Secondly, even with run-flat tires, it’s very flaky to drive on a completely flat tire. Not sure if you’ve ever experienced it before, but it’s not something that I would feel comfortable driving 50 miles on in the middle of nowhere.

If you really want peace of mind, you might consider purchasing one of these that will easily fit in the back for one of those longer road trips where you might be further than 50 miles away from the nearest town. They had an XM part number on here, but it doesn’t appear that it’s in stock because it’s not listed any longer.

https://modernspare.com
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:03 PM   #9
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Are they runflats? They told me they aren’t …

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:04 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are they runflats? They told me they aren’t …
No, BMW quit using them on all of their vehicles. I was responding to the other comment.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:05 PM   #11
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Zero complaints on the 23s. Zero.

In my opinion, run-flat tires give you a false piece of mind. First off, the slightest pothole will make them bubble which can’t be repaired and require immediate replacement. The same pothole will not cause a problem with a conventional tire. With the sealant kit that comes with all of our vehicles, it will provide the same purpose of giving you around 50 miles unless you have a complete blowout.

Secondly, even with run-flat tires, it’s very flaky to drive on a completely flat tire. Not sure if you’ve ever experienced it before, but it’s not something that I would feel comfortable driving 50 miles on in the middle of nowhere.

If you really want peace of mind, you might consider purchasing one of these that will easily fit in the back for one of those longer road trips where you might be further than 50 miles away from the nearest town. They had an XM part number on here, but it doesn’t appear that it’s in stock because it’s not listed any longer.

https://modernspare.com
I’ve never had runflats, I’ve had Michelins on my M cars, but are we sure mine are runflats? It looks like some are and some aren’t, how can I tell?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:07 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve never had runflats, I’ve had Michelins on my M cars, but are we sure mine are runflats? It looks like some are and some aren’t, how can I tell?
You do not have run-flats. They are god-awful and you don’t want them - especially on this vehicle. If you go to the configurator tool, you’ll see that they are all non-run flat tires across all XM wheel choices.

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...tivity-vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:09 PM   #13
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, BMW quit using them on all of their vehicles. I was responding to the other comment.
Ahh awesome, that’s good news. Not sure why they went with Yuko’s on a 200K car vs Michelins. Oh well, they seem fine after one day.

Question for you. Do you know what the max vs min energy recovery means?

Also - any mod ideas? Do they sell an M perf exhaust for this car? Any carbon fiber accents? The one thing that’s strange is you’d assume for this price, it would have carbon diffuser, grilles, mirrors etc like other M cars. Curious if anyone is working on a tune for the XM? Ive only purchased paint matched front reflectors thus far.

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-23-2024, 10:11 PM   #14
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You do not have run-flats. They are god-awful and you don’t want them - especially on this vehicle. If you go to the configurator tool, you’ll see that they are all non-run flat tires across all XM wheel choices.

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...tivity-vehicle
Thank you. I know everything about the M5/8 but nothing about the XM.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:11 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ahh awesome, that’s good news. Not sure why they went with Yuko’s on a 200K car vs Michelins. Oh well, they seem fine after one day.

Also - any mod ideas? Do they sell an M perf exhaust for this car? Any carbon fiber accents? The one thing that’s strange is you’d assume for this price, it would have carbon diffuser, grilles, mirrors etc like other M cars. Curious if anyone is working on a tune for the XM? Ive only purchased paint matched front reflectors thus far.
There are a few threads with carbon fiber trim pieces on here. That’s awfully expensive for a leased vehicle that you’ll never get back!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:36 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

RaceChip available for XM base.
Eventuri CF air Intake.
Indiv Cooling shroud.
Evolution Racewerks primary and secondary downpipe.
MSS lowering spring.
AutoTecknic Carbon Fiber gear shifter cover.
H&R Spacer.
Studie screen protector.

Carbon Fiber stuff, side mirror cover is the same as F95 X5M.
Other than that, all Russia stuff AFAIK.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:51 PM   #17
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
RaceChip available for XM base.
Eventuri CF air Intake.
Indiv Cooling shroud.
Evolution Racewerks primary and secondary downpipe.
MSS lowering spring.
AutoTecknic Carbon Fiber gear shifter cover.
H&R Spacer.
Studie screen protector.

Carbon Fiber stuff, side mirror cover is the same as F95 X5M.
Other than that, all Russia stuff AFAIK.
All the M performance parts are the same as the X5M? Mirrors, but diffuser, side skirts etc would be different right ?

I’m interested in DPs . I’m trying to figure out what exhaust comes w the XM label. It’s not M performance, so is it a full catback or just a better muffler ?

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      03-28-2024, 09:04 AM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
All the M performance parts are the same as the X5M? Mirrors, but diffuser, side skirts etc would be different right ?

I’m interested in DPs . I’m trying to figure out what exhaust comes w the XM label. It’s not M performance, so is it a full catback or just a better muffler ?
Only the side mirror.
Exhaust wise, I don’t think Label has M Performance. It should be the same as base model.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0