BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum All XM owners,what are your opinions thus far?

05-08-2023, 01:56 AM   #23
The Northman
Rep
Drives: Bmw XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Been driving one for a week, pretty cool. Handles amazing for its size and weight. Fun to drive!
Wow! Looks amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I have my XM(also dravit grey) coming in 4-5 weeks to Sweden . Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 09:59 PM   #24
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Here’s my updated list

PLUS: 1) Low road noise
2) Great color
3) More head turner than I imagined. Folks want to know what brand it is since there no logo at the back easily seen (beside those on the back window).

Minus: 1) Gotta input bmw id to activate some functions like (auto roll up windows, remembering some settings). —FIXED: you have to bite the bullet with a BMW id.
2) Always trying to shut down the gasoline motor. I wish there was a gasoline only option setting. —FIXED: Use M buttons
3) Doesn’t remember last driving setting on startup (hybrid, electric or econtrol). —FIXED: Option to choose electric.
4) How to shut up the f**** voice assistant. —Kinda fixe: the options allow to partly disable it so it doesn’t answer any command.
5) Low battery capacity in North America vs rest of the world. —NOT fixed. Same shenanigans with the 50e it seems (20 kWh net vs 25 published in the specs on the 29.5 kWh capacity)
6) NO HITCH at the moment. —-Not fixed. Even stealth hitch doesn’t seem too prompt to develop something
7) No air suspension. —Unfixable
8) Idrive 8 is totally less functional to me atm. Everything is more geared toward a touch input instead of the idrive controller. —Unfixable
9) Motorway assistant not available vs Label Red. Not fixed. Will iDrive 8.5 fix it? I don’t think so.
10) No comfort access on the rear passenger doors? Come on. Same shenanigans with the 50e it seems
11) Lack of rear hiding space because of the battery
12) WTF why do I have to unlock the fuel door with a button to put gas? OK I understand the concept to preserve gaz in PHEV.
13) The price is way off vs an X5m or even x5 50e
14) Iconic sounds are missing vs IX (very low output). But they are there in electric mode
15) Keep the artificial motor sound out from the speakers
16) Only 1 key (there’s a card also and yes the phone is possible but I miss my keys…)
17) Lack of buttons. (Fan, temperature setting, presets, etc). I want my buttons back
18) Wish I could charge my battery while running even if it kills the fuel economy. Some regen do happen. I did 85 km with an empty battery and it managed 15 km electric. Also, I can see the instant fuel consumption fluctuating.
19) Sirius xm interface lacks functionality like older models. For example, time shifting with the idrive controller is not possible anymore
20) Slow response sometimes by Idrive 8. Feels like the computer is trying to connect online but it brings the screen to a halt. Since I input my BMW id, I did not see any lag.

The new things

GOOD
A) I love the driving assistant plus more than I thought I would. On the highway, it pretty nice to have that hence my sadness of not having motorway assist
B) I love the charger. I have not installed my charging station but I’m able to manage with my 50 amp plug on my garage’s side door for now with 220V and I can switch to 120V with the other adapter.

BAD

C) Transmission is skipping some times while starting from a light while it switches from electric to gasoline when the battery is empty. I’ll try to make a video in the next few days but it’s downright scary and might be dangerous as it loses most of the power for like 1 or 2 seconds while RPM is around 4k and tries to search for the correct gear
D) I’ve lost the option to configure the locking of the door while moving. I cannot disable the automatic locking since the moment I input my bmw ID.
E) F*CK the voice assistant. I want to input a destination address while driving with the iDrive controller. I don’t want to have to trick the system by putting weight on the passenger’s seat so that I can use the controller to select the letters. I could do that in my 2018 X5M why is it blocked now?
F) The image in iDrive is not correct. It doesn’t show the black trim, shows the gold one

Some more food for thought. Running 03/2023.30 at the moment.
Attached Images

Last edited by gan23; 05-08-2023 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2023, 11:04 PM   #25
alexlucky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Garage List
2023 BMW XM  [10.00]
Quote:
16) Only 1 key (there’s a card also and yes the phone is possible but I miss my keys…)
Hmm, I got 2 keys + 1 card with my XM. Maybe it's in Canada BMW gives only 1 key.

Anyway, it's good feedback, thanks. Have you gone through the engine performance reduction yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:41 PM   #26
Momomo1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Hi gan23, thanks for the updated thoughts, super helpful as I wait for mine to arrive.

One question: you mentioned that iconic sounds are missing vs I3 (low output) but updated with “in electric mode, they are there”

What do you mean exactly? Are the actual iconic sound modes present but just lowers output I.e sport, expressive, relaxed etc or is it just a basic electric acceleration sound that is muted?

When I test drove one many weeks ago, I asked the voice assistant to activate iconic sounds and the car responded by saying it was not available
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 07:50 AM   #27
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlucky View Post
Hmm, I got 2 keys + 1 card with my XM. Maybe it's in Canada BMW gives only 1 key.

Anyway, it's good feedback, thanks. Have you gone through the engine performance reduction yet?

Odd, I’ll check with the dealer for a second set of keys. My backseat was missing the 2 cushions also. Dealer had to order them.

I’m not sure about the engine performance reduction. I’m at 2000 km and I have to go for maintenance. The engine break in was around 500 km in combustion mode. Strangely, I’m still waiting after my dealer visit for more spirited driving.
Attached Images

Last edited by gan23; 05-09-2023 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 07:59 AM   #28
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momomo1 View Post
Hi gan23, thanks for the updated thoughts, super helpful as I wait for mine to arrive.

One question: you mentioned that iconic sounds are missing vs I3 (low output) but updated with “in electric mode, they are there”

What do you mean exactly? Are the actual iconic sound modes present but just lowers output I.e sport, expressive, relaxed etc or is it just a basic electric acceleration sound that is muted?

When I test drove one many weeks ago, I asked the voice assistant to activate iconic sounds and the car responded by saying it was not available
It’s hard to describe. When in electric mode, you have them but they are kind of mute (low output) vs my experience in the Ix. I cannot say if they are exactly the same variant as in the Ix because I’ve only driving it one weekend a few months ago but the build sheet has them listed and vin checker says S4V1 BMW ICONICSOUNDS ELECTRIC
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #29
bailaowai
Rep
Drives: BMW XM, BMW M4, BMW 535i

I picked up my XM on Mon 5/8. Absolutely love the way it looks, like the way it drives, though this is my first SUV so I'm still getting used to a larger vehicle. Here are my thoughts:

Good:
- iDrive 8. Not sure why there is so much hate. It's 1M times better than whatever previous versions I have in my prior cars, the screens are great, etc.
- Driving dynamics, electric mode, all great. Love the way it feels. I have an M4 and the XM, while obviously not as quick, still feels quick and dynamic.
- Interior. The Blue/Coffee is extraordinary. Back seat room for my daughter is fabulous. Interior lighting great.
- B+W sound is great. Need to really tweak EQ it to get it there, but when you do you are rewarded.
- The driving assistant is cool, but see below.

Bad:
- Lack of key luxury features: No kick to open rear door, no garage door opener built int (is that still a thing?), no comfort access rear door. My impression is that BMW doesn't quite know who will buy these things. Anyone that's a driving purist is looking not at a 6k lb SUV. My suspicion is that most of these cars will be bought by 53y old aging dudes like me that most of the time want super comfort luxury.
- The climate control is just weird. Maybe still figuring it out.
- Generally surprised about the lack of some of the highest-end tech vs stuff like the iX or even the 2024 model X5. For example, no parking path recorder (only backup assistant and parking assistant "plus" not "pro" I guess). Also no AR in the instrument cluster. I'm betting the 2024's are going to get all of this, which will stink.
- Driving assistant is kinda jerky. It oscillates between the lane from one side to the next, is a little uncomfortable around turns due to this, and at least once it just failed to track the lane and then jerked itself back really hard into the lane. Def don't trust it yet.

If a friend asked whether or not to buy this car right now, I'd still be a yes. But I'm uncomfortably close to "just wait a year or two" for them to work out some of this stuff. I'm happy to have it and will keep it for a long time probably, but if you'r thinking about it pay very close attention to ensure it has all the features and behaviors that are important to you.

Name:  IMG_3492.jpeg
Views: 532
Size:  184.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 11:33 AM   #30
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
On mine I have the garage door opener in the rear view mirror like in other BMW models.

Lol as far as who this car targets… I have no clue. I’m 34 and upgraded from the X6 M50. It did take some getting used to but I’m growing to really like it. I take chances and live technology so I see a promising future with this powerhouse combo.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:04 PM   #31
bailaowai
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_BMW View Post
On mine I have the garage door opener in the rear view mirror like in other BMW models.
Interesting, I need to take another look. I searched the user manual for garage and didn't find anything, and didn't see the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_BMW View Post
Lol as far as who this car targets… I have no clue. I’m 34 and upgraded from the X6 M50.
Cool, yeah I prob shouldn't have made it about age. I just meant there's likely to be an expectation of skewing toward luxury vs pure performance - not quite the true M car crowd per se. Right now I think the XM kinda sits in a weird spot, where it positions to be a performant SUV but isn't quite as performant as X5M or X6M, and prices for a segment that wants all the luxury features.

For the record, I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 01:10 AM   #32
bailaowai
Rep

Correction: I found the garage door opener thanks to the other poster. Was confused, looking in the wrong place, dumb, etc. The XM has a built-in garage opener.
Appreciate 2
PNWM3526.00
      05-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #33
Drm23
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3...2014 M5...2018 e63s

Just took delivery of my XM last Sunday. I'm very happy with the car. Traded in my '22 X6M competition. This car is exactly what the X6M is not and I love that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that's fine... So to each his own!!!
ID8 it's fine and feels quite a neat upgrade.
Just got the windows tinted, PPF'd and ceramic coats the wheels.
Wish everyone enjoy their cars in good health!!!

Ps: sorry for the iPhone pics!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GuyOh1064.00
      05-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #34
alexlucky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Garage List
2023 BMW XM  [10.00]
Congrats, it looks great!

Where did you buy those carbon mirror caps?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 05:17 PM   #35
Drm23
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3...2014 M5...2018 e63s

Thanks.
Got the CF mirror caps from IND.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2023, 11:25 PM   #36
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
Odd, I’ll check with the dealer for a second set of keys. My backseat was missing the 2 cushions also. Dealer had to order them.

I’m not sure about the engine performance reduction. I’m at 2000 km and I have to go for maintenance. The engine break in was around 500 km in combustion mode. Strangely, I’m still waiting after my dealer visit for more spirited driving.

Well, it seems 1 key got lost, I should have gotten 2. The dealer is ordering it.

Did my 2000 km breaking maintenance, took some time because of the oil change. There’s a plastic cap that needs to be changed each time, dealer didn’t have it and the system showed it was backordered. They found one at another dealer. So take note of that for your future oil changes.

The car had a recall for a module consisting a new version of software, ilevel 03/2023.53 with ista 4.41.2x (target was above .45). I haven’t noticed anything working differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailaowai View Post

Driving assistant is kinda jerky. It oscillates between the lane from one side to the next, is a little uncomfortable around turns due to this, and at least once it just failed to track the lane and then jerked itself back really hard into the lane. Def don't trust it yet.
I agree. Especially during the rain, the car is doing some ping pong between the lanes. That would be G)

H) The attention camera sometimes throws a warning because it cannot see my eyes because of the position of the steering wheel or with my hands and coat.

I) Why is it complicated to always show the odometer. Instead of showing the clock twice (dash and idrive screen), always show the odometer in the lower left side of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 07:36 AM   #37
The Northman
Rep
Drives: Bmw XM

Looks sooooo good!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #38
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm23 View Post
Just took delivery of my XM last Sunday. I'm very happy with the car. Traded in my '22 X6M competition. This car is exactly what the X6M is not and I love that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that's fine... So to each his own!!!
ID8 it's fine and feels quite a neat upgrade.
Just got the windows tinted, PPF'd and ceramic coats the wheels.
Wish everyone enjoy their cars in good health!!!

Ps: sorry for the iPhone pics!!!
Super nice! Tell me about the side mirrors! Is that a wrap? Or real carbon fiber?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #39
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here’s my updated list

PLUS: 1) Low road noise
2) Great color
3) More head turner than I imagined. Folks want to know what brand it is since there no logo at the back easily seen (beside those on the back window).

Minus: 1) Gotta input bmw id to activate some functions like (auto roll up windows, remembering some settings). —FIXED: you have to bite the bullet with a BMW id.
2) Always trying to shut down the gasoline motor. I wish there was a gasoline only option setting. —FIXED: Use M buttons
3) Doesn’t remember last driving setting on startup (hybrid, electric or econtrol). —FIXED: Option to choose electric.
4) How to shut up the f**** voice assistant. —Kinda fixe: the options allow to partly disable it so it doesn’t answer any command.
5) Low battery capacity in North America vs rest of the world. —NOT fixed. Same shenanigans with the 50e it seems (19.2 kWh net vs 25 published in the specs on the 29.5 kWh capacity)
6) NO HITCH at the moment. —-Not fixed. Even stealth hitch doesn’t seem too prompt to develop something
7) No air suspension. —Unfixable
8) Idrive 8 is totally less functional to me atm. Everything is more geared toward a touch input instead of the idrive controller. —Unfixable
9) Motorway assistant not available vs Label Red. Not fixed. Will iDrive 8.5 fix it? I don’t think so.
10) No comfort access on the rear passenger doors? Come on. Same shenanigans with the 50e it seems
11) Lack of rear hiding space because of the battery
12) WTF why do I have to unlock the fuel door with a button to put gas? OK I understand the concept to preserve gaz in PHEV.
13) The price is way off vs an X5m or even x5 50e
14) Iconic sounds are missing vs IX (very low output). But they are there in electric mode
15) Keep the artificial motor sound out from the speakers
16) Only 1 key (there’s a card also and yes the phone is possible but I miss my keys…) UPDATE: Dealer is ordering, 2 keys should be there.
17) Lack of buttons. (Fan, temperature setting, presets, etc). I want my buttons back
18) Wish I could charge my battery while running even if it kills the fuel economy. Some regen do happen. I did 85 km with an empty battery and it managed 15 km electric. Also, I can see the instant fuel consumption fluctuating.
19) Sirius xm interface lacks functionality like older models. For example, time shifting with the idrive controller is not possible anymore
20) Slow response sometimes by Idrive 8. Feels like the computer is trying to connect online but it brings the screen to a halt. Since I input my BMW id, I did not see any lag.

The new things

GOOD
A) I love the driving assistant plus more than I thought I would. On the highway, it pretty nice to have that hence my sadness of not having motorway assist
B) I love the charger. I have not installed my charging station but I’m able to manage with my 50 amp plug on my garage’s side door for now with 220V and I can switch to 120V with the other adapter.

BAD

C) Transmission is skipping some times while starting from a light while it switches from electric to gasoline when the battery is empty. I’ll try to make a video in the next few days but it’s downright scary and might be dangerous as it loses most of the power for like 1 or 2 seconds while RPM is around 4k and tries to search for the correct gear
D) I’ve lost the option to configure the locking of the door while moving. I cannot disable the automatic locking since the moment I input my bmw ID.
E) F*CK the voice assistant. I want to input a destination address while driving with the iDrive controller. I don’t want to have to trick the system by putting weight on the passenger’s seat so that I can use the controller to select the letters. I could do that in my 2018 X5M why is it blocked now?
F) The image in iDrive is not correct. It doesn’t show the black trim, shows the gold one
G) Especially during the rain, the car is doing some ping pong between the lanes
H) The attention camera sometimes throws a warning because it cannot see my eyes because of the position of the steering wheel or with my hands and coat.
I) Why is it complicated to always show the odometer. Instead of showing the clock twice (dash and idrive screen), always show the odometer in the lower left side of the dash.

Some more food for thought. Running 03/2023.53 at the moment.
A little update today, It took 26h50min on 110V to charge. App says 30 kWh, a lot of electric loss….but I dunno if charging that way helped the battery but I managed 67.5 km in electric mode before emptying my battery today. A few points though, I was coming from the country house for a 100 km trip mostly downhill (400m from start to 20m finish in elevation) with outside temps varying between 27-30C with AC set to automatic @ 19.5C.

I’m happy with this result.

And a new one today

J) I don’t understand why the exhaust is set to loud while in hybrid mode. If I let the car choose between electric and ICE, it means I don’t want to have a loud exhaust. I have to push the exhaust button to quiet it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 11:01 PM   #40
arvind
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Competition

How does it feel to drive when the battery is exhausted? Does it feel really underpowered as an ICE only vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:57 AM   #41
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind View Post
How does it feel to drive when the battery is exhausted? Does it feel really underpowered as an ICE only vehicle?
Almost every day, I empty the battery. There’s no lack of power since the battery is never really at 0% even though it says so. There’s a lot of buffer since the net available capacity in North America is 19.2 kWh on the 29.5 kWh overall.

The only point is sometimes, while starting from a red light, I feel the car struggling to find the correct gear between the switch from electric to ICE when the gage show 0% capacity. It happened 8-9 times up to now (4000 km).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #42
SamKaz
Rep
Drives: M8 X7 XM

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
The only point is sometimes, while starting from a red light, I feel the car struggling to find the correct gear between the switch from electric to ICE when the gage show 0% capacity. It happened 8-9 times up to now (4000 km).
In what setting you experience that? Had the same experience when in Hybrid ->Comfort but if you bump up to sport and highest transmission speed, I think you will experience different.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:01 PM   #43
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKaz View Post
In what setting you experience that? Had the same experience when in Hybrid ->Comfort but if you bump up to sport and highest transmission speed, I think you will experience different.
Yes, I was in hybrid because you need to be in electric mode all the way and then change to ICE. In sports, the ICE always run. For example, your battery is at 0% and you wait at the red light. The electric buffer between 0-1% is depleted but you still start from the light in electric but within a fraction of second, the car wants to switch to ICE and is confused about the gear to use while the rpm revs up.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 12:47 PM   #44
SamKaz
Rep
Drives: M8 X7 XM

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, I was in hybrid because you need to be in electric mode all the way and then change to ICE. In sports, the ICE always run. For example, your battery is at 0% and you wait at the red light. The electric buffer between 0-1% is depleted but you still start from the light in electric but within a fraction of second, the car wants to switch to ICE and is confused about the gear to use while the rpm revs up.
Gotcha. I hear your on random strange gear/rpm rev machting at times. It definitely improved for me after break-in service though and I still think my theory that putting transmission on S3 helps.
Appreciate 0