BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Subwoofer

05-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #1
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i

Subwoofer

So I spent the bucks for the b&w but not satisfied with the bass. Has anyone added a subwoofer either wired or BT??

They also make powered subwoofers. Anyone have knowledge about audio wires as where they are located?? Maybe I can added a wired powered subwoofer in the back. I would disconnect at least once a week for shopping trips so I can put a bazooka tube or similar

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:09 AM   #2
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

I had a local audio shop add in a powered 10 inch sub. It's perfectly integrated into ID and is adjusted by both the audio controls or back by the box. I had the shop install it so it's easily pulled out in case we don't need it.

I had to call around a wee bit and ask the right questions to make sure the shop knew what they were doing. It's not easy hacking into the ID controls. This same shop installed a similar powered sub in our Audi Q7 and he was fussing about the instructions for the upgraded Bang and Olufsen wiring being in German!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 07:22 AM   #3
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was slow at the office yesterday and did some research and thinking. I decided to go with an 8" sub tube and will utilize the rear speaker wires to signal my powered sub.

I think it will work.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure where mine is wired into but the wire harness that comes out is right near the 3rd row.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 02:42 PM   #5
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi6488 View Post
So I spent the bucks for the b&w but not satisfied with the bass. Has anyone added a subwoofer either wired or BT??

They also make powered subwoofers. Anyone have knowledge about audio wires as where they are located?? Maybe I can added a wired powered subwoofer in the back. I would disconnect at least once a week for shopping trips so I can put a bazooka tube or similar

TIA
I did this in my M5 and the system sounds amazing! B&W plus a JL 12 inch W6.

I am now looking into something similar for my new X7 Brooklyn Metallic m60i with B&W.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post
I did this in my M5 and the system sounds amazing! B&W plus a JL 12 inch W6.

I am now looking into something similar for my new X7 Brooklyn Metallic m60i with B&W.
If you want some "boom", you're gonna need to do it. I've resigned myself that no factory system provides the deep booms I want. And mind you, I'm not expecting something my whole hood hears as I roll through. That's not what I want at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 03:37 PM   #7
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Today I installed a Rockford fosgate powered 10 inch sub in the cargo. Easily removable if I need cargo space.

Enjoying my alone rides now. Wife doesn’t like loud bass music. No, I’m not the guy that rattles your car at a light with loud bass. Just need to round out the sound
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #8
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so I have a few potential good options after speaking to my audio guy.

JL Audio make powered subwoofers with amps in the enclosure. These are compact and easily removable with just 1 connection. A little velcro, disconnect the single plug and it comes out.

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...-systems-93335

Option 1) This can be installed in the rear of the car and again is easily removable.

Option 2) This could potentially be installed in the space underneath the floor in the back. I assume this could also be for a spare tire.?

Option 3) Possibly under the driver or passenger seat, space permitting.

I haven't taken delivery of my new X7 yet. Could someone please confirm:
A) Dimensions of the space in the area under the false floor in the trunk area?

B) Dimensions of the space under the driver or passenger seat?

If A and B are not viable I will just have it in the cabin of the trunk/rear area with velcro and the single plug so it can be easily removed.

Any of these options should only require a half day of labour for a full good install.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #9
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

JL Audio make powered subwoofers with amps in the enclosure. These are compact and easily removable with just 1 connection. A little velcro, disconnect the single plug and it comes out.

Option 1) This can be installed in the rear of the car and again is easily removable.

Option 2) This could potentially be installed in the space underneath the floor in the back. I assume this could also be for a spare tire.?

If A and B are not viable I will just have it in the cabin of the trunk/rear area with velcro and the single plug so it can be easily removed.

Any of these options should only require a half day of labour for a full good install.

Thanks
Will not fit under front seats.

I would check into the what wattage the high output can handle for the amp?? I do not know what amperage our system pushes but if too high and you use high output you could blow your amp. I took the safe route and used an active LOC to convert to low rca input for amp. I tied the LOC using drivers seat subwoofer and ran to cargo area.

AudioControl LC2i PRO 2-Channel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GH3B3PW...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 06:45 PM   #10
keg97
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Has your audio guy worked on recent BMW's? I believe there are nuances with our systems that aren't common with some other more common makes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 06:51 PM   #11
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
Has your audio guy worked on recent BMW's? I believe there are nuances with our systems that aren't common with some other more common makes.
Yes he has, including my F90 M5.
Appreciate 1
keg97166.50
      05-29-2023, 03:29 PM   #12
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have taken delivery of my 2023 X7.

This sub is very good and fits under the false floor and leaves enough extra space for an amplifier.

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...-systems-93256

I don't know if this area will vibrate but this would be a cool stealth install with amazing Bass
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 04:08 PM   #13
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I have an infinity bass link that i've never hooked up. Anyone know what wires to tap at the amp? I have the HK system. A while I took the front seat out and was going to tap directly off the sub, but it must be servo controlled because it had a constant 5 volts or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:17 AM   #14
Chi6488
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I have an infinity bass link that i've never hooked up. Anyone know what wires to tap at the amp? I have the HK system. A while I took the front seat out and was going to tap directly off the sub, but it must be servo controlled because it had a constant 5 volts or something like that.
I would look into a line output converter to see if it will meet your needs with 5 volts. I tapped into drivers underneath subwoofer.

I can honk also an active crossover so it will provide the 5 volts. I used an audio control LOC bought from Amazon. Once the sun tap from front run to the back you can get 12 volts and ground in the rear from battery. The LOC will switch on when there is audio and the LOC can switch your subwoofer on as week if it has a built in amp
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2023, 07:40 PM   #15
popalock
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
I have taken delivery of my 2023 X7.

This sub is very good and fits under the false floor and leaves enough extra space for an amplifier.

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...-systems-93256

I don't know if this area will vibrate but this would be a cool stealth install with amazing Bass
Why did this thread die? Did you ever get it installed? What did it run you, if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:51 PM   #16
tinfoiltuna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 M60i

I have a custom stereo in my X3 (morel hybrid speakers, helix dsp, two JL audio 13” shallow mount sibs in a fiberglass box in the spare wheel well + amp). Sounds astonishing.

I’m having them move the two 13” to the spare wheel well in the X7 with the B&W. I’ll let everyone know how it sounds when done.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 06:23 PM   #17
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
I too have been underwhelmed by the B&W system in my X7, and have done a fair bit of reasearch on the topic. I was thrilled to discover that this aftermarket wiring harness by Technic plugs into the factory amp in the rear, and should make adding a sub quite easy:

https://technicpnp.com/product/bw-op...-systems-copy/

I believe this adapter will remove the single biggest obstacle to a rear install.

After visiting a local stereo shop, I'm hoping to install one of these Audison powered subs in the spare tire wheel well in coming months: https://www.abt.com/Audison-Prima-80.../p/199088.html
      12-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #18
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

If you stream music I turned on more bass in the Spotify eq then did the smiley face eq in the bmw eq for bowers and it kicks hard now
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:42 PM   #19
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
I too have been underwhelmed by the B&W system in my X7, and have done a fair bit of reasearch on the topic. I was thrilled to discover that this aftermarket wiring harness by Technic plugs into the factory amp in the rear, and should make adding a sub quite easy:

https://technicpnp.com/product/bw-op...-systems-copy/

I believe this adapter will remove the single biggest obstacle to a rear install.

After visiting a local stereo shop, I'm hoping to install one of these Audison powered subs in the spare tire wheel well in coming months: https://www.abt.com/Audison-Prima-80.../p/199088.html
Thanks for the link. I ordered the basic harness. I have an Infinity Bass link that accepts high level inputs. So will see how it works out.
      12-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #20
TPATURK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10-550xi-Msport

I installed the sealed JL 10" in my 24 Alpina XB7, took the spare out. Vol knob under left knee, works great.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 10:40 AM   #21
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPATURK View Post
I installed the sealed JL 10" in my 24 Alpina XB7, took the spare out. Vol knob under left knee, works great.
Curious, which model JL? One of the powered ones?
      12-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #22
TPATURK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10-550xi-Msport

Yes
Appreciate 0