BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum XM first drive review video by Joe Achilles

03-29-2023, 07:05 PM   #45
SpinalTap
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80

I saw one today at my local dealer as I took my M3 in for its break in service. My goodness, this was far uglier in person than in this picture from the dealer’s website. It almost looks like it came out of a comic. The styling and colors are so far from what I consider the core of the brand. Not for me, that’s for certain.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-29-2023, 08:25 PM   #46
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I saw it in person just like the new 760. And the same thing happened, I had to rush to the restroom to avoid throwing up in the parking lot.

Someone that wants to make a statement needs to get the Ferrari Purosangue, not this thing. The only thing this vehicle will do is make you look like the dumbest person at the country club.
This looks like a relative bargain compared to the Purosangue tho. That is going to set you back $400K or thereabouts and will be super hard to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Much rather choose a Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo for the same money as this horrendous lard.
To me there's no contest. The Panamera is a very desirable car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 08:50 PM   #47
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Much rather choose a Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo for the same money as this horrendous lard.
Funny you say that, I was on the Porsche website today thinking the exact same thing about a number of Cayenne or Macan trims as well that I’d rather have over this XM. BMW is really pushing the upper limits of the brand. But comparable Porsche options must be more satisfying. The Porsche Cayenne E is 5100 lbs and very quick. The GTS is 4950 lbs, and one of the best sport SUV’s on the market. Long wait though for a new build.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 04:58 PM   #48
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
There’s also no roof rack/rails either. Doubt it has towing as well. I saw one last week…

I read somewhere that China was the primary market for these, can anyone confirm?
Attached Images

03-30-2023, 07:54 PM   #49
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
There’s also no roof rack/rails either. Doubt it has towing as well. I saw one last week…

I read somewhere that China was the primary market for these, can anyone confirm?
yes i can confirm
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:22 PM   #50
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Topic-adjacent post perhaps, but I appreciated Doug Demuro’s take that the XM is for people who want to stand out and make a strong styling statement. Like this person. I can envision them leasing an XM. It’s not about the performance, or utility. It’s about being avant-garde.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-30-2023, 09:35 PM   #51
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

front end looks like megatrons face. Completely random, but really don’t know what to think of it yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 02:10 PM   #52
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

ugly looks aside, what does this tell about future M3/M5. are they going to become numb heavy hybrid beasts ?
      03-31-2023, 03:05 PM   #53
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster20d View Post
ugly looks aside, what does this tell about future M3/M5. are they going to become numb heavy hybrid beasts ?
M3 going full EV (the next M3 lifecycle might get very close to the 2035 zero emission cut off) is what i've read

M5 is designated to be PHEV - they could do a Corvette and only put a 1kWh battery in there for performance but to meet EU emissions standards of 2020 it will need a big heavy battery
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 08:17 PM   #54
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Topic-adjacent post perhaps, but I appreciated Doug Demuro’s take that the XM is for people who want to stand out and make a strong styling statement. Like this person. I can envision them leasing an XM. It’s not about the performance, or utility. It’s about being avant-garde.
This might be true but this isn’t BMW. If someone wants to be ostentatious and standout then buy a Bentley or Rolls. The problem with BMW’s new design direction is they have to alienate a fan base they took decades building. Fans like myself. I don’t want in-your-face grotesque designs meant to grab attention. I want clean, conservative, designs that are respected and admired. It’s so sad to see BMW take this path. It feels like betrayal.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 10:18 PM   #55
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
This might be true but this isn’t BMW. If someone wants to be ostentatious and standout then buy a Bentley or Rolls. The problem with BMW’s new design direction is they have to alienate a fan base they took decades building. Fans like myself. I don’t want in-your-face grotesque designs meant to grab attention. I want clean, conservative, designs that are respected and admired. It’s so sad to BMW take this path. It feels like betrayal.
I understand; perhaps it is a betrayal. However the XM delivers this (unattractive IMO) avant-garde look for people unwilling or unable to afford the more expensive options you’re envisioning.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 10:27 PM   #56
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
If someone wants to be ostentatious and standout then buy a Bentley or Rolls. The problem with BMW’s new design direction is they have to alienate a fan base they took decades building. Fans like myself. I don’t want in-your-face grotesque designs meant to grab attention. I want clean, conservative, designs that are respected and admired.
+.5

Disagree w/ Bentley or Rolls point. I certainly cannot afford either of those vehicles. Totally different league IMHO and I would go so far as to argue that they are geared towards a totally different audience from the XM. The Bentayga seems like the car for a Palm Beach multi-millionaire's third wife and the Cullinan is just a Phantom with 4-wheel drive (i think -- I've obviously never cross shopped). The XM seems to fall somewhere between a Urus, a G-Wagon and a Range Rover. Probably in that order.

I do agree however, that the squinty lights, odd lines and bulky hips put out of late (e.g. - X7, 7-series and XM) are skewing towards other parts of the world and seems to be getting away from the core of the brand. But, company's are global these days and they can't totally disregard the tastes of huge market sector like China/India/Indonesia that's literally like 40% of the World's population.

Seeing as though the XM is basically an X7 chassis with better leather coupe-ish rear styling and odd lines, I don't see too many current X5 (most likely X5M or X5/67 M50i) owners jumping ship to the XM. I'm certainly not there yet. Also, even if we take the Rolls and the Bent and throw in the G-Wag, Urus and Range, how many of those folks are switching for this? I'd argue very few.

I'll admit my bias toward BMW and the aesthetic of a vehicle is going to be 80-90% of my buying decision. When I saw the F95 I had to have one and spent about a year searching for the right deal. I don't see myself doing that here just yet. But I could see this being a hit in certain places in Asia where maybe it isn't advisable to drive around in what anyone can readily identify as a super luxury SUV (here's looking at you PRC!).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 01:45 PM   #57
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Von Otto View Post
Sawn it in person. Still a solid meh from me.
That looks awful, I thought we as a society decided to leave the gold package behind in the 90’s.