BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Doug DeMuro Review: The 2023 BMW XM Is a Controversial $160,000 Fast Luxury SUV

04-06-2023, 07:38 PM   #23
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

BMW new sales model...

You can sell 25 products at 4 dollars to make 100 dollars.

OR

You can sell 1 product (exclusive model) at 100 dollars and make 100 dollars.

After all the ultra rich love feeling special
Appreciate 5
DO4441407.00
LuckyBrand1236.00
lab_rat394.50
BigHunk269.50
      04-06-2023, 07:41 PM   #24
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
This car makes no sense to me. It’s too heavy to be an m car, it’s too heavy to be efficient, it’s too expensive to be practical. It should have just been an ev.

Plug in hybrids are great but not like this…
Exactly, and this was completely obvious at first blush … but the mystique remains. What’s the secret? Write off for taxes because of the weight? G wagon alternative? Opportunistic cash grab because they had some extra V8 capacity in production and the car is a parts bin special? This is the secret I’ve been looking for with this monstrosity. I think Doug nailed it - rich, “cool” (debatable), flex, ostentatious, different.
Appreciate 1
DO4441407.00
      04-06-2023, 08:02 PM   #25
MinMax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
I’m just so grateful that G8X doesn’t look anything like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 08:02 PM   #26
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJ1 View Post
Absolutely God damn right..I am looking at 911 pricing thinking..meh maybe I can find one for $120k...LOLOLOLOLOL..a base 911 is easily out the door bow at 180k...I give up..
Yea but you can spec a low end base 992 for under $150K. All things equal, if I could get a new 911 payment within $500 of the monthly of the XM I'd go with the 911 all day. I don't even think you can classify this as a toy like the 911 so it seems to make even less sense. I really think I need to see one in person to make the final call, but I'm not hopeful. It's grown on me, but it hasn't grown on me enough to pay $160K just yet.

The monthly NLAB (pretty much the gold standard for that kind of info) quoted me with a $10K discount and $10K down was like 2,100 bucks NFWIH. I could literally get two cars for that same price with more total vehicle value.

Maybe the target market is out there, I just don't know who it is. It's not truly good at any one thing. Jack of all trades and a master of none. Not an EV. Not a true Super SUV. Not an exotic. Not for off-road. Not for families. Like who is this car for I ask you?
Appreciate 2
GordoCLM211.00
lab_rat394.50
      04-06-2023, 08:27 PM   #27
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Another review which will do very little to change the prevailing thought that XM may have been launched without having a coalition of willing customers.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 08:28 PM   #28
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrExecutive View Post
Personally, $160,000 sounds a little outrageous to me.
No way I could pay anywhere close to that for a piggyvan either. No matrer the specs or badge.
      04-06-2023, 08:31 PM   #29
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
this car is too heavy and too slow for an M.
DO4441407.00
      04-06-2023, 08:42 PM   #30
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
The XM is an interesting experiment but this this dude is unwatchable so I’ll reserve judgement for palatable content .
      04-06-2023, 09:19 PM   #31
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
Yea but you can spec a low end base 992 for under $150K.
Yup. These retail prices for my desired spec 992s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 09:51 PM   #32
Bmwfanboy1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
It’s funny how we sit here and act like we are a bunch of car experts who knows how to run a $65 billions car company. When BMW first introduced the humongous kidney grills everyone criticized it and yet their sales keep going up year to year.

A 2024 fully loaded X6M priced out at $140k how much do you think BMW should charge for a XM? $20k more for the 20kw battery and luxury interior I thought is a fair price.

I don’t think BMW target customers are under 50 years old for XM. How many of the middle aged customers would want to do 3 seconds at every traffic lights.

It’s a performance SUV so it’s not designed for drifting and other stunts.

What I like about XM?! I have been driving EV last 4 years, Tesla model X and iX M60. I like the quickness but the fun is just not there. It’s just quick. I have been shopping for a M car for a while but never pulled the trigger because I don’t want noisy and jerky car all the time.

So far XM has been perfect for me because now I can drive an EV for about 40 miles and I can put it a sport plus drive like a maniac whenever I want to. I love fast and powerful car but i don’t have to be the first at the next traffic light.

Now I can have my peace and quiet (hybrid mode) and wake up my neighbors (sport plus mode) whenever I want to.

My other factor is maintenance is far more affordable for BMW than Porsche.
Appreciate 9
      04-06-2023, 09:59 PM   #33
brtrvu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Agree. why dont they make hybrid, with full ev have longer time to charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:14 PM   #34
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfanboy1 View Post
It’s funny how we sit here and act like we are a bunch of car experts who knows how to run a $65 billions car company. When BMW first introduced the humongous kidney grills everyone criticized it and yet their sales keep going up year to year.

A 2024 fully loaded X6M priced out at $140k how much do you think BMW should charge for a XM? $20k more for the 20kw battery and luxury interior I thought is a fair price.

I don’t think BMW target customers are under 50 years old for XM. How many of the middle aged customers would want to do 3 seconds at every traffic lights.

What I like about XM?! I have been driving EV last 4 years, Tesla model X and iX M60. I like the quickness but the fun is just not there. It’s just quick. I have been shopping for a M car for a while but never pulled the trigger because I don’t want noisy and jerky car all the time.

So far XM has been perfect for me because now I can drive an EV for about 40 miles and I can put it a sport plus drive like a maniac whenever I want to. I love fast and powerful car but i don’t have to be the first at the next traffic light.

Now I can have my peace and quiet (hybrid mode) and wake up my neighbors (sport plus mode) whenever I want to.

Let's unpack these one at a time.

1.) Not everyone hated the kidney grilles. Most of that hate came from a very loud and very vocal group of folks and you still can't get much of a discount on an M4 right now. I think that speaks to the desirability of the car. Also, the current generation M4, even with it's buck tooth grille (which I like btw), didn't stray so far from the previous gen (or any other BMW for that matter) as the XM does.

2.) Yes a fully loaded F96 is $140K. Why? Cause you can spec a lot more shit on an F96 than you can on the XM. Also, the X6M will easily keep up with a Urus 0-60 and the 1/4 miles. Can't say the same for the XM based on the specs I've seen.

3.) Not sure about the 3 second comment, I couldn't take the video for 24 min of spastastic hand gestures. But, I can say that although I'm not 50+, I'm close and if I had a choice between this and a $160K P-Car or fully loaded 2024 X5MC LCI or even two cars (an M850i and a 530i let's just say) for the same monthly, the XM is at the bottom of the list so far.

4.) If it's a "performance SUV", what exactly is it designed for? I'm not doing donuts in my F95, but I damn sure lay the wood to a Dodge Charger to show these young whippersnappers with Scat Packs what a real man drives.

5.) It would be nice not to wake up my kids for their afternoon nap when I leave the house after lunch sometimes. :-)

6.) Wait til the battery dies on that sucker. Then let's talk about maintenance. I think all cars save maybe a Subaru is going to require some modicum of maintenance over it's lifetime. I don't have that issue: I lease.

Not disagreeing with you necessarily, I haven't driven one or seen one in the flesh. As others have said, perhaps the market isn't the US, maybe it's China and I'm all for exporting stuff from Spartanburg to Beijing. But for the American audience i'm not sure where the XM fits in at all.
Appreciate 4
LuckyBrand1236.00
Cabby339.50
Russ103308.00
      04-06-2023, 10:21 PM   #35
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfanboy1 View Post

I mean that’s great for you. I don’t think I was pretending like I know better than whoever runs BMW but just in general we can speak about our opinion that the car seems very… niche- which isn’t a bad thing necessarily. My confusion still lies at why one wouldn’t just get a Porsche Cayenne or Macan; both are way more fun than teslas or this big car. Switching to the styling of all BMWs in general I think you can say that BMW sales have gone up despite the weird industry wide trend of humongous grills. Unfortunately every car manufacturer at this point has huge grills and people simply have to buy cars so there’s an illusion people like the big grills when in reality it’s possibly people just don’t have a way to protest the collective industry wide trend.

Also the easy cheaper maintenance of a low production plug in hybrid bmw doesn’t seem like a guarantee but I hope I’m wrong.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1236.00
      04-06-2023, 11:03 PM   #36
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

My local dealer had one in the showroom. Surprised how plain it looks in real life.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #37
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

“What I like about XM?! I have been driving EV last 4 years, Tesla model X and iX M60. I like the quickness but the fun is just not there. It’s just quick. I have been shopping for a M car for a while but never pulled the trigger because I don’t want noisy and jerky car all the time.”

I don’t think many would disagree with that statement. The issue is the execution by BMW. The fact that you purchased a Tesla and an iX and the XM means that the tech and the straight line performance IS the primary driving experience that the majority wants. The rest of us need to accept that this is where things are heading. I’m not going to fight that…I’m just surprised that we are now the minority. The wallet vote wins with the auto manufacturers.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00
      04-07-2023, 12:08 AM   #38
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
“What I like about XM?! I have been driving EV last 4 years, Tesla model X and iX M60. I like the quickness but the fun is just not there. It’s just quick. I have been shopping for a M car for a while but never pulled the trigger because I don’t want noisy and jerky car all the time.”

I don’t think many would disagree with that statement. The issue is the execution by BMW. The fact that you purchased a Tesla and an iX and the XM means that the tech and the straight line performance IS the primary driving experience that the majority wants. The rest of us need to accept that this is where things are heading. I’m not going to fight that…I’m just surprised that we are now the minority. The wallet vote wins with the auto manufacturers.
Same, I’ll comment that I find it strange but won’t deny where things are going. I think a special edition of an alpina x7 would have been cooler than what the XM is. In fact all of the “performance” SUVs should just be alpina special editions because I presume one buys the SUV for comfort with an added pep with speed. I don’t think the primary wow factor for it would be that it has hard suspension for cornering… right?
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3356.50
      04-07-2023, 01:26 AM   #39
Bmwfanboy1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Let's unpack these one at a time.

1.) Not everyone hated the kidney grilles. Most of that hate came from a very loud and very vocal group of folks and you still can't get much of a discount on an M4 right now. I think that speaks to the desirability of the car. Also, the current generation M4, even with it's buck tooth grille (which I like btw), didn't stray so far from the previous gen (or any other BMW for that matter) as the XM does.

2.) Yes a fully loaded F96 is $140K. Why? Cause you can spec a lot more shit on an F96 than you can on the XM. Also, the X6M will easily keep up with a Urus 0-60 and the 1/4 miles. Can't say the same for the XM based on the specs I've seen.

3.) Not sure about the 3 second comment, I couldn't take the video for 24 min of spastastic hand gestures. But, I can say that although I'm not 50+, I'm close and if I had a choice between this and a $160K P-Car or fully loaded 2024 X5MC LCI or even two cars (an M850i and a 530i let's just say) for the same monthly, the XM is at the bottom of the list so far.

4.) If it's a "performance SUV", what exactly is it designed for? I'm not doing donuts in my F95, but I damn sure lay the wood to a Dodge Charger to show these young whippersnappers with Scat Packs what a real man drives.

5.) It would be nice not to wake up my kids for their afternoon nap when I leave the house after lunch sometimes. :-)

6.) Wait til the battery dies on that sucker. Then let's talk about maintenance. I think all cars save maybe a Subaru is going to require some modicum of maintenance over it's lifetime. I [...]
Not try to argue or looking for a fight. Those just my logic thinking at least to me on getting the XM. What do I know?

1. People used to make fun of the kidney grill like people make fun of the camera lens for the iPhone. Now with most cars have big grills and not everyone hated the kidney grill. Now nobody has a problem with the camera lens on iPhones.

2. I spec it as what’s on the XM.
Gravit Gray: $1950 XM standard
Full Merino Leather: $3500 XM standard
Driver Assistance: $1700 XM standard
Executive Package: $3100 standard
M Compound Brake: $650 standard
On the XM by the way, 23 or 22 inch wheels. Same price. Gold trim or black trim. Same price. BMW doesn’t nickel and dime on the XM. And I like that.

3. I have seen arguments about getting 2 cars for the same price. Why would anyone buy 2 half a** cars? Actually I like your selection very much. On this forum somewhere I have seen one saying that he rather get a 550i plus a 4Runner plus a Tesla model 3 for the same price. But why?

4. I drive for my own enjoyment and not for showing off. I don’t need and never did try to race anyone on the street. To me it’s just not worth it.

5. That’s a nice feature for sure.

6. Please don’t quote me for this. This is a plug-in hybrid battery pack and I am assuming it’s very similar to the EV. If that’s the case and the car die before the battery. EV battery last at least on average 150k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 01:41 AM   #40
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Yea but you can spec a low end base 992 for under $150K. All things equal, if I could get a new 911 payment within $500 of the monthly of the XM I'd go with the 911 all day. I don't even think you can classify this as a toy like the 911 so it seems to make even less sense. I really think I need to see one in person to make the final call, but I'm not hopeful. It's grown on me, but it hasn't grown on me enough to pay $160K just yet.

The monthly NLAB (pretty much the gold standard for that kind of info) quoted me with a $10K discount and $10K down was like 2,100 bucks NFWIH. I could literally get two cars for that same price with more total vehicle value.

Maybe the target market is out there, I just don't know who it is. It's not truly good at any one thing. Jack of all trades and a master of none. Not an EV. Not a true Super SUV. Not an exotic. Not for off-road. Not for families. Like who is this car for I ask you?
Nobody is going to cross shop the 911 with this though. This is BMW's attempt to poach customers from other luxo SUVs while positioned more exclusive than the mom car that is the X7 or the cool but understated X5M.

I'm sure I'll see these popping up around LA soon. Lot of BMW brand loyalists here awaiting their next shiny BMW toy.
Appreciate 3
PNWM3530.50
F32Fleet3566.00
      04-07-2023, 02:43 AM   #41
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
This guy's a little too amped up. Turned it off after a couple of minutes. Can't watch people twitch and jerk like that when saying what should be normal sentences.
He does appear to enjoy stimulants lol.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2023, 02:46 AM   #42
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:

What are these acronyms?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:47 AM   #43
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Yup. These retail prices for my desired spec 992s.
These prices are low.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:49 AM   #44
DO444
Banned
Rep

This car is dumb.
Why not just get a macan or a cayenne and save a bunch of cash.

If you need a huge suv and want to waste a bunch of money, get a Land Rover.
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1236.00
Ugly Kar401.00