05-02-2023, 10:37 PM   #1
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4 Competition - IOMG

Garage List
XM vs Q8

I got an opportunity to go on a 20 minute test drive of the XM this last weekend.

We are exploring options to replace our Denali - looking at Escalade, used Bentayga, SQ7/SQ8, Cayenne and a few others.

My sales rep showed me a black on Sakhir Orange they had sitting on the showroom floor and offered a test drive. So what the heck. I hadn’t considered an XM for a few reasons: price point (looking stay under $130k), looks are still growing on me, and overall wasn’t sure that my SO would appreciate the M stiff suspension over our other options on air springs.

We had a loaded ‘20 Audi Q8 awhile back and, disregarding power/performance, there are some interesting comparisons to make given they’re both the top level SUVs on offer from Audi and BMW.

Please take this comparison with a grain of salt, as it was a short 20 minute jaunt around town, and another 20 fiddling with the infotainment at the dealer parking lot. I am disregarding power/performance/braking/etc entirely, as there is no comparison. I have driven SQ8/RSQ8 in the past, but not extensively.

Size:
Interesting comparison. I always thought the Q8 was pretty large for only being a 2 row SUV. Plenty of leg and cargo space. The Q8 is definitely the biggest sibling when compared to the Bentayga, Urus, and Cayenne.

The XM was even bigger. The backseat is absolutely cavernous and honestly one of my favorite features of the car. Sitting back there indeed felt like a nice lounge sofa with the crazy headliner and lights in full display.

Oddly enough, the Q8 to memory had the bigger trunk. The load floor on the XM was very high, and it was odd seeing no trunk lip whatsoever when you opened the trunk. Felt like things would easily roll out if you aren’t there to catch it.

The XM drove physically bigger on the road as well. You can absolutely feel the weight. It wasn’t too dissimilar from our ‘22 Denali in its heft. The Audi, on the other hand, actually shrunk around you more and was more “nimble” to scoot around town and traffic.

The front passenger area are similar, perhaps a notch bigger in the XM as well.

Tech:
I honestly found ID8 a bit overwhelming. My G82 has ID7, which I felt familiar with quickly. I’m in tech, own quite a bit of tech, and have had a number of new model vehicles the last few years to try out the latest systems of various makes/models. ID8 was the first I’ve had to pause and figure out. Perhaps the size of the screen itself made it difficult to quickly lock on to where you need to navigate in the screen. The only reason I made it through the climate control panel was because I had watched a YouTube vid of ID8 upon its launch. My SO was overwhelmed as well.

The features, however, are endless. The sound system is great and on par with Audi’s highest end B&O systems. Comfortable and endlessly adjustable seats, and the light show inside is just something else. Total club vibe and very appealing.

The Audi dual touch screen system is also very advanced and extremely user friendly. I’ve had two newer Audi SUVs (‘20 Q8 & ‘21 Q7, both loaded) so had a ton of use of this system. Hard to fault other than Apple CarPlay being on the fritz sometimes. I had a much easier time navigating my way around never had trouble finding where to go.

Fit & Finish

Both cars are put together extraordinarily well. Bank vault feel for both. I’d give a nod to the XM for using BMWs highest quality leathers and modern materials inside. It really does feel like a special place to sit. I never had any interior/trim issues with my Audis either. Never any creeks/rattles and both cars are very quiet on the road.

Suspension
The XM is stiff. Period. It’s the top rung performance SUV, but I can’t help to think what BMW might do by adding some air sprints to the X5m/XM. Porsche/Audi seem to be able to create wonderfully performing SUVs with the added ability to throw it in comfort mode on the air ride and float through town. Try as I might, I just don’t see the need to make an SUV ride this stiff. I wouldn’t say it upsets the chassis, but it does get a bit jagged over tougher pavement. This was the single biggest dislike from my SO.

Conclusion
The Audi is definitely far more understated inside, but classy and sophisticated. When I think of the overall vibe of the XM, classy never comes to mind. The SQ8/RSQ8 models, while sporty, are also quite restrained in comparison. They’re more nimble on a daily basis, and more comfortable to spend time in. The XM is a show, and here is where it actually let me down somewhat.

The XM feels like an event, with its wild looks, crazy tech, amazing interior and back seat. It seems like the perfect double date night vehicle. Kick back, let the lights and sound system do it’s thing, cruise to a nice dinner or to go grab a drink, etc. But it’s seemingly too stiff for two couples to enjoy it. It’s an extremely taught, aggressive, flamboyant, and loud performance car that weighs 6000lbs. I actually really like performance SUVs, and seek to own one, but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around this one. It has clashing personalities. The setup says race, but the vibe says cruise.

It’s trying to do two things at once, and they’re at odds with one another. It’s like Dr. Jackyl is trying to have a cup of tea and listen to Beethoven while still having Mr. Hide legs and running up the walls. Just a bit odd.

We have decided to not pursue the XM (outside of our target budget anyhow). If we decide to stay BMW for our SUV pick, I think we’ll have better luck with an X7 M60i or XB7.
      05-03-2023, 05:25 AM   #2
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
With the XM, it really lightens up when you’re passed the 320 ICE engine break in period. That’s when you get the full experience of the engine. Although bigger than my 2022 X6 M50i, the XM feels just as nimble but only after the break in period. In all honesty I had buyer remorse up until yesterday when it fully opened up. Here’s my XM.
Attached Images

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 02:44 AM   #3
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_BMW View Post
With the XM, it really lightens up when you’re passed the 320 ICE engine break in period. That’s when you get the full experience of the engine. Although bigger than my 2022 X6 M50i, the XM feels just as nimble but only after the break in period. In all honesty I had buyer remorse up until yesterday when it fully opened up. Here’s my XM.
Love it!
Im curious about the sky light lounge roof… just how bright can it get and can the whole roof light up ? Or is it dimly lit and only on the sides of the roof?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 04:36 AM   #4
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
If you have "dim for night driving off" its really bright at night. During the day time its bright enough to create the effect seen on all the ads.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 0