BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum iDrive 8.5

05-23-2023, 11:02 PM   #1
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

iDrive 8.5

Once again, I feel that first buyers of the XM are getting the short hand of the stick…

Ex factory: BMW 7 Series, BMW iX, BMW i4 from production 07/23; BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7. BMW XM, BMW X5 M, BMW X6 M from production 08/23. Further BMW models in the midsize, executive and luxury classes will follow in stages. In BMW M models, BMW Operating System 8.5 will be introduced without the new graphical interface. Other cars that can be updated to BMW Operating System 8.5 at a later stage via Remote Software Upgrade: BMW 7 Series from production 07/22; BMW iX from production 03/23; BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7. BMW XM, BMW X5 M, BMW X6 M from production 04/23.

From https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...or-summer-2023

No iDrive 8.5 for us….
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
      05-24-2023, 10:47 AM   #2
SamKaz
Rep
Drives: M8 X7 XM

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Ugh I thought it’s coming to XM but I had read the following post wrong, just re-read it and actually says newer built of XM after August will have 8.5 🤬. We won’t get iDrive 9 either right?

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/05/23/h...h-quickselect/

Here are the models that are being updated to iDrive 8.5:

* BMW 7 Series, BMW iX, and BMW i4 models build after July 2023
* BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7, BMW XM, BMW X5 M, and BMW X6 M models built after August 2023
* New BMW M Models will iDrive 8.5 but without the new graphical interface.
* All BMW 7 Series (after 07/22), iX (after 03/23), and BMW X5, X6, X5 M and X6 M (after 04/23) are eligible for over the air upgrades to the newest iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Momomo1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

What does without (new) graphical interface mean?

Yes, it looks like us early adopters are really getting left out.

From the article, we seem to be getting iDrive 8.5 but without the new graphical interface. This is not a clear statement at all. iDrive 8.5 is essentially a new graphical interface with quick select.

So iDrive 8.5 without new graphics is essentially iDrive 8, no?

First, I was mad at the stripped down lack of iconic sounds. Then I was mad at the lack of soft close in rear doors. Now this.

Since my car had been delayed at Final Assembly for over a month now, I wish they would push me past August so I can get all the new tech. I mean, early adopters of the XM are precisely the people who want every option and new tech modes, am I right?
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      05-24-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Momomo1;30159779]Yes, it looks like us early adopters are really getting left out.

From the article, we seem to be getting iDrive 8.5 but without the new graphical interface. This is not a clear statement at all. iDrive 8.5 is essentially a new graphical interface with quick select.

First, I was mad at the stripped down lack of iconic sounds. Then I was mad at the lack of soft close in rear doors. Now this.

Since my car had been delayed at Final Assembly for over a month now, I wish they would push me past August so I can get all the new tech. I mean, early adopters of the XM are precisely the people who want every option and new tech modes, am I right?

You don’t have soft close rear doors? Mine has these. I also have the iconic electric sounds the IX has as well.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:29 PM   #5
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

[QUOTE=Stealth_BMW;30160925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momomo1 View Post

You don’t have soft close rear doors? Mine has these. I also have the iconic electric sounds the IX has as well.

The issue is not the soft close doors (they are there) but the lack of rear door comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:51 PM   #6
Momomo1
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Stealth_BMW;30160925]
Quote:

You have the same iconic sounds as the IX? I am pretty sure the XM is missing these. The XM has a very low volume very standard electric hum as an acceleration sound. The IX has actual modes to choose from, like Expressive, Sport Plus where the central image completely changes and the sounds are powerful and distinctly different. Are you saying that these modes are available on the XM? I don’t have mine yet obviously so I don’t know. Just could not find any iconic sounds during test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:54 PM   #7
Momomo1
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=gan23;30161368]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_BMW View Post

The issue is not the soft close doors (they are there) but the lack of rear door comfort access.
Forgive me, I did not realize the distinction as I’m still waiting for mine to arrive. Just read others have noted that the front doors have the soft close comfort access but rear was lacking the feature
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
Stealth_BMW
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW XM  [0.00]
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
You have the same iconic sounds as the IX? I am pretty sure the XM is missing these. The XM has a very low volume very standard electric hum as an acceleration sound. The IX has actual modes to choose from, like Expressive, Sport Plus where the central image completely changes and the sounds are powerful and distinctly different. Are you saying that these modes are available on the XM? I don’t have mine yet obviously so I don’t know. Just could not find any iconic sounds during test drive.
I may have been confused but I’ll do a video when I fly back home tonight. When the vehicle is running on battery you can hear, distinctively, the spaceship sounds.

2022 X6 M50i
2023 IX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 12:06 PM   #9
Momomo1
Private
Rep

The spaceship sounds are kind of a stripped down version of the Iconic Sounds suite by Hans Zimmer. Here is a video that shows what it was really supposed to be like:

I can understand the decision to not give hybrid BMWs the full iconic sounds suite that the IX and full electric cars get. But I object to BMW using the same feature name for the hybrid cars, which is the Iconic Sounds package. Because using the same feature name would make customers assume that we are getting the full features, rather than a very very stripped down version, which is muted one-note spaceship sounds for acceleration with no options, and a start up sound for the car. That is like 30% of what Iconic Sounds package really is.
Appreciate 1