BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum carplay/android auto maps on HUD

08-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
hechon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW '17 i3, '20 X740i

carplay/android auto maps on HUD

Hi, does the map/direction show up on HUD if using android auto/carplay instead of the built in nav? i have android phone and am anxious to get 07/2020 but i wonder if this will be the case?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hechon View Post
Hi, does the map/direction show up on HUD if using android auto/carplay instead of the built in nav? i have android phone and am anxious to get 07/2020 but i wonder if this will be the case?

thanks.
Apple CarPlay supports dual screen display output. BMW has alluded to displaying CarPlay and Android Auto information in the HUD (e.g., turn by turn directions). Not sure when it's going to happen. I don't think it's in the July release.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Yes, Apple Maps in HUD with CP and google maps with AA on 07/2020

Looks practically same as the idrive navigation from what I've seen, at least in CP
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

Looks practically same as the idrive navigation from what I've seen, at least in CP
That's good to hear! Last I read, it was not in a near term release.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:

I'd prefer to have Waze or google maps in hud on CP. Apple maps sucks bad so it's pointless. I've tried to like it so I can use hud, but even idrive nav is better.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd prefer to have Waze or google maps in hud on CP. Apple maps sucks bad so it's pointless. I've tried to like it so I can use hud, but even idrive nav is better.
Agreed, Waze would be nice. I've had pretty good luck with Apple Maps overall, it's getting better, but Waze is still more informative.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I feel Waze is the most useful GPS because the alerts (Police, pot-holes, cars on the side of the road, etc.) but Apple Maps has the best looking maps IMO (I'm on iOS 14 Public Beta). The BMW GPS maps are kind of plain looking but work well. I don't get all the fuse about Google Maps. I've tried it several times and never cared for it. But to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Quote:

thanks.
I have software version 7/2020.25 installed on my 2 weeks old 2020 X7. I can confirm that Apple Maps show up in the HUD with Apple Cad Play; and google maps show up in the HUD for Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #9
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:

thanks.
I have software version 7/2020.25 installed on my 2 weeks old 2020 X7. I can confirm that Apple Maps show up in the HUD with Apple Cad Play; and google maps show up in the HUD for Android Auto.
Nice thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, Waze would be nice. I've had pretty good luck with Apple Maps overall, it's getting better, but Waze is still more informative.
Paid more attention and the Apple maps hud isn't as good as idrive. When approaching a roundabout or junction/exit, idrive shows which lane to get in, the lane after that if complex and a graphic of the junction/roundabout. AM just shows the graphic.

The AM graphics are ugly on the idrive screen with CP and have no customisation, other routes options, etc.

I see zero point in using AM via CP other than it has better POI than idrive but you can send the AM POI to idrive so that negates that.

If you have DAP the absolute best navigation combination is idrive, TomTom in CP and maybe waze running in CP in the background (no route set) to mop up any speed cameras/police traps that TT misses.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I feel Waze is the most useful GPS because the alerts (Police, pot-holes, cars on the side of the road, etc.) but Apple Maps has the best looking maps IMO (I'm on iOS 14 Public Beta). The BMW GPS maps are kind of plain looking but work well. I don't get all the fuse about Google Maps. I've tried it several times and never cared for it. But to each his own.
I had not used Apple Maps for sometime and when I saw your post I decided to try it this morning. It is nicely laid out and the audio instructions along with the maps are great. When I first started routing it asked if I wanted to transfer to route to the BMW Nav. I had not since this before.

Each one has pluses and minuses. I still lean towards Waze but maybe Apple Maps with Waze in the background is the answer, for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Quote:
I had not used Apple Maps for sometime and when I saw your post I decided to try it this morning. It is nicely laid out and the audio instructions along with the maps are great. When I first started routing it asked if I wanted to transfer to route to the BMW Nav. I had not since this before.

Each one has pluses and minuses. I still lean towards Waze but maybe Apple Maps with Waze in the background is the answer, for now.
The other day, I was low on fuel and an overlay alert popped up from Apple Maps in CarPlay asking if I wanted fuel recommendation. I had not seen this level of interaction/integration in my other cars using CarPlay until the X7.
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
The other day, I was low on fuel and an overlay alert popped up from Apple Maps in CarPlay asking if I wanted fuel recommendation. I had not seen this level of interaction/integration in my other cars using CarPlay until the X7.
Apple is putting a lot of thought into CarPlay and Maps so it's worth another look for those that crossed it off their list in the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Apple is putting a lot of thought into CarPlay and Maps so it's worth another look for those that crossed it off their list in the past.
I use CarPlay 100% of the time unless I forgot my phone. Always miss it when it's not active.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #15
indiejay
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:

How do you get this to work on the HUD? I tried Google Maps and Apple Maps and they only show on the center console and not on the HUD..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiejay View Post
Quote:

How do you get this to work on the HUD? I tried Google Maps and Apple Maps and they only show on the center console and not on the HUD..
As long as you have idrive nav normally in the hud, and have apple maps running in CarPlay then it just appears. Nothing more to do.

Are you using CarPlay or android auto?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiejay View Post
Quote:

You might want to enable the CarPlay maps vs iDrive maps.
Haven't gotten that in the HUD and I'm on 07.2020.30
      08-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #18
indiejay
Rep

So I'm several version behind it seems (07.2019.55), and my VIN doesnt qualify for OTA updates. Time to go to the dealer.. It's disappointing to hear that it doesn't work for some folks on the latest update...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #19
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Just got 7/2020.30 installed in my 2019. Apple Maps works in the hud and am so excited. It's great to just look at my calendar appointments in CarPlay and tap for directions. If you have the address in there it's a great UX.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Just got 7/2020.30 installed in my 2019. Apple Maps works in the hud and am so excited. It's great to just look at my calendar appointments in CarPlay and tap for directions. If you have the address in there it's a great UX.
Did you have to get the dealer to do the update or were you able to get it OTA?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #21
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

[QUOTE=thenew3;26556863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Did you have to get the dealer to do the update or were you able to get it OTA?

The dealer updated it. I told them the Bluetooth went in and out and then he said yes. I have also had a couple problems since I started with my guy, with the music not working all the time in the HUD. So I think that helped as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #22
indiejay
Rep

Finally got the dealer to update to the latest 07/2020/45.. See quite a bit of difference on the car. turn by turn directions show up now for Apple Maps and Google Maps both, but the map itself doesn't render within the HUD when it comes to approaching intersections.

Also other things I noticed: My mpg rating shot up from 16.7 to 17.0, auto start/stop works more frequently than before.
Appreciate 0