forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Aftermarket tow hitch on 2021 X7

05-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
andyzzz
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Aftermarket tow hitch on 2021 X7

I need a tow hitch to put on my bike rack, and this was a must-have when I started to shop around for a new 2021 x7 three months ago. The lady at the dealership told me they were able to add a tow hitch to the car if it didn't come with a factory one. So on this condition, I paid them $1000 more in the final price to have a tow hitch installed when I purchased this x7.

I waited for 6 weeks and after 2 dealer trips, it finally got done. It is not the factory one (I knew this one week after the purchase), but the "Stealth Hitch". I can change it to for towing, or racking. And when I don't need it, I can remove it. It doesn't look very attractive, but it does the job (at least for bike rack).

If I knew this would be an aftermarket one, I would have bought one with a factory installed one, even though I would need to wait. During the installation, they had to remove the rear bumper and after they put it back, one bumper corner is not flush with the other part of the body.
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1701.50
      05-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
andyzzz
Rep

This is how it looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
andyzzz
Rep

another view
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Did they install the transmission cooler and larger brakes that comes with the factory tow hitch option?
Appreciate 2
dmanb2b2124.50
Al Pină1839.50
      05-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #5
andyzzz
Rep

No, I don't think they did.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #6
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have the trailer mode option coded into the iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #7
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Our did nothing come with a hitch and I too was considering the stealth hitch option. It doesn't look bad IMO. What did they do about wiring?
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2124.50
      05-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Did they install the transmission cooler and larger brakes that comes with the factory tow hitch option?
For $1K by a dealer?

On a serious note though, you make a great point. There is much more that goes into the towing package. It is not a big deal for the current owner if they only for is a bike rack, but should they or a future owner decide to tow something, this install seems incomplete. Unless the trailer wiring is hidden and the appropriate coding was completed.

Edit... never mind. I think I can see the trailer plug under the bumper on the driver's side of the hitch. On a good note, I wonder if the kick motion sensor is still active for the liftgate? Something we lose out on in the US if you opt for the tow package.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
andyzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
Do you have the trailer mode option coded into the iDrive?
I don't see trailer mode in iDrive before or after the hitch installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #10
andyzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
For $1K by a dealer?

On a serious note though, you make a great point. There is much more that goes into the towing package. It is not a big deal for the current owner if they only for is a bike rack, but should they or a future owner decide to tow something, this install seems incomplete. Unless the trailer wiring is hidden and the appropriate coding was completed.

Edit... never mind. I think I can see the trailer plug under the bumper on the driver's side of the hitch. On a good note, I wonder if the kick motion sensor is still active for the liftgate? Something we lose out on in the US if you opt for the tow package.
At this point all I need is just putting on a bike rack, and the dealer knew this from the beginning, so I guess that's why they didn't bother to do anything about brake or trailer mode, or explain to me those things.

I saw the receipt they printed out for me; the whole thing (part + labor) cost them more than $3500, and it took 2 days. Obviously I didn't pay for this. I paid $1000 more as part of buying the car.

I don't know if the wiring is done and working; I haven't tried it yet. But there is some wiring done there, and a connector installed.

The kick open trunk feature is still working with the stealth hitch. (I don't really like it even from day one without the hitch; it only works 50% of the time, quite frustrating).

Last edited by andyzzz; 05-11-2021 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2124.50
      05-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

OEM is by far the way to go. For the OP, the aftermarket setup will be fine for bike racks or other snap in options. I have no plans on towing with mine but I absolutely wanted the oem hitch just for what the OP is doing. Down the road or on vacation, I wanted to have a solution to carry bikes and other items I don’t want inside my X7M50i. It’s also a great emergency tow strap location.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #12
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzzz View Post
At this point all I need is just putting on a bike rack, and the dealer knew this from the beginning, so I guess that's why they didn't bother to do anything about brake or trailer mode, or explain to me those things.

I saw the receipt they printed out for me; the whole thing (part + labor) cost them more than $3500, and it took 2 days. Obviously I didn't pay for this. I paid $1000 more as part of buying the car.

I don't know if the wiring is done and working; I haven't tried it yet. But there is some wiring done there, and a connector installed.

The kick open trunk feature is still working with the stealth hitch. (I don't really like it even from day one without the hitch; it only works 50% of the time, quite frustrating).
Thank you for the feedback on the kick feature. I find it annoying as and never use it on my 340, but we were bummed about losing the feature due to opting for the tow package on the X7. Doesn't sound like there is much to miss.

Also good to hear it was actually a $3,500 job. It was probably wired up and coded. I would think you would find that helpful so that when you throw it in reverse and there are bikes blocking the rear backup sensors, the car doesn't scream at you the whole time
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #13
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Yea, I see the plug as well now. I don't think the kick motion sensor is affected at all by this product. Cant remember but I think I read it or seen it on the stealth hitch install video.
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2124.50
      05-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #14
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I have the stealth hitch on my current X5. It is an awesome hitch. I had no problem towing a Bobcat for home yard renovation. $1000 is a good price if that includes installation. Base price for the X7 hitch is $670, with the towing attachment it is $990. There is no way it actually cost them $3500, but it's also a good price for only $1000. It requires removing the whole rear bumper and you do have to do the wiring on your own. Took me 3-4 hours total. If they actually coded anything, that is a bonus.

I was close to ordering my X7 without the hitch based on looks alone, plus you retain the kick feature (which I agree works only half the time, and when it doesn't you end up looking like an idiot who is trying to unsuccessfully kick the back of your car). But with it being my wife's daily driver, I wanted any hookups by her to be as easy as possible. If the factory hitch had cost more (even the same $1000 charged by the dealer) I would have opted to do the stealth hitch myself again. It is VERY well made.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      05-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #15
andyzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I have the stealth hitch on my current X5. It is an awesome hitch. I had no problem towing a Bobcat for home yard renovation. $1000 is a good price if that includes installation. Base price for the X7 hitch is $670, with the towing attachment it is $990. There is no way it actually cost them $3500, but it's also a good price for only $1000. It requires removing the whole rear bumper and you do have to do the wiring on your own. Took me 3-4 hours total. If they actually coded anything, that is a bonus.

I was close to ordering my X7 without the hitch based on looks alone, plus you retain the kick feature (which I agree works only half the time, and when it doesn't you end up looking like an idiot who is trying to unsuccessfully kick the back of your car). But with it being my wife's daily driver, I wanted any hookups by her to be as easy as possible. If the factory hitch had cost more (even the same $1000 charged by the dealer) I would have opted to do the stealth hitch myself again. It is VERY well made.
Yeah, I was wondering how that stealth hitch design could be a robust one at the first glance, because generally speaking, the more attachments, the more wobbling it could have. But after using it for a couple times, I have to say it's quite a good design and quite solid (as for bike rack). You just push the hitch receiver up into the mechanism and it will lock it in, solidly. No pin needed. It feels very solid. Per spec it could hold 600 lb. I think that's pretty close.

There is a lock to lock the hitch receiver or tow receiver and prevent it from thief.

Product intro:

https://stealthhitches.com/products/bmw-hitch-shr31033

That $1000 I paid included parts (the big rear "beam", the hitch receiver, the tow "receiver", some wiring and a tow plug, and a lock), and installation. I guess maybe the dealer underestimated the cost; they just wanted to make a deal with me when selling the car.

I looked at the receipt again, it actually cost $ 1976 for parts and $1188 for labor (6 hours), total $ $3164. It's way much more than a factory one ($550) if you custom-order the car.

Last edited by andyzzz; 05-11-2021 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
Buchimuer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350 ES350

I thought about the hitch for a long time and decided not to add it. For me, it really breaks how the x7 looks...
      05-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #17
andyzzz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchimuer View Post
I thought about the hitch for a long time and decided not to add it. For me, it really breaks how the x7 looks...
You can take the receiver off, and the rest part will completely disappear, unless you bend down and look from bottom. I don't have a picture to show how it looks without the receiver though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
You can take the receiver off, and the rest part will completely disappear, unless you bend down and look from bottom. I don't have a picture to show how it looks without the receiver though.
Your talking the oem hitch?? Love a pic.

I have to look hard to see the oem hitch since it’s so low.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #19
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post

Yeah, I was wondering how that stealth hitch design could be a robust one at the first glance, because generally speaking, the more attachments, the more wobbling it could have. But after using it for a couple times, I have to say it's quite a good design and quite solid (as for bike rack). You just push the hitch receiver up into the mechanism and it will lock it in, solidly. No pin needed. It feels very solid. Per spec it could hold 600 lb. I think that's pretty close.

There is a lock to lock the hitch receiver or tow receiver and prevent it from thief.

Product intro:

https://stealthhitches.com/products/bmw-hitch-shr31033

That $1000 I paid included parts (the big rear "beam", the hitch receiver, the tow "receiver", some wiring and a tow plug, and a lock), and installation. I guess maybe the dealer underestimated the cost; they just wanted to make a deal with me when selling the car.

I looked at the receipt again, it actually cost $ 1976 for parts and $1188 for labor (6 hours), total $ $3164. It's way much more than a factory one ($550) if you custom-order the car.
Yeah you got an awesome deal for that. In many ways I prefer the stealth hitch. My 45e I ordered I ended up including the OEM hitch on the build but even now I wonder if I should have removed it to keep the rear end looking clean. Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #20
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I know this is an old thread, but does the kick to open still work with the stealth hitch?

I wanted OEM but its my wifes car and she loves the kick to open on the 750 so she didnt want to lose it. I wish I wouldn't have told her that and just been surprised lol.

We dont tow much, just going to use it for bikes, and maybe occasionally pull the E30 somewhere but it would be rare.

For those who have the stealth hitch do you still have the kick to open?
      02-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #21
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

I had the stealth hitch on my X5 and during a construction site on the interstate going <50mph, it broke off/came lose from its mechanism, despite adhering to the weight limits and measurements of BMW OEM factory (not even the stealth hitch advertised ones). My life was spared that day by pure luck. Call it product defect or otherwise extreme physical forces: The matter of the fact is it came off and we almost died.
I would never tow with one of these again. I am certain that the BMW OEM hitch would not have had the same thing happen because of the different receiver design.

Last edited by Tr4ckD4ys; 02-04-2022 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 06:36 AM   #22
beto3934
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 E93 2013

Coding Stealth Hitch

Hello guys, any of you who have the stealth hitch installed in your precious X7, were able to have it coded? I have mine installed and wired with the harness provided by Stealth but never hesitated to do that. I have heard it can't be coded because it is not OEM? Thoughts and thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0