BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Anyone not get wireless charging?

07-04-2021, 03:55 AM   #1
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

Anyone not get wireless charging?

So I took delivery of my X7 last week, and I've been going nuts trying to get the wireless charger to work. Both my wife and I have iPhones. Even removing the covers didn't work.

I recall when I took delivery, the guy placed his Android device on the tray and saw that it was charging. Perhaps I need a software update as I read something about compatibility of Q1 charging and iPhones.

Then I took a peek at my sticker. It specifically states 'No Wireless Charging & Wifi' with a $400 credit. Huh? I don't ever recall when choosing my options that I would lose wireless charging. Even my build sheet doesn't indicate this as there is a $400 difference in the bottom line price.

My dealer is looking into it and I left a message with BMW Genius. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 05:34 AM   #2
ApexTK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2024 M440ix GC

Unfortunately you are not the only one. The semiconductor shortage is to blame. Some standard options have been eliminated and credited. On top of that certain add on options have also been eliminated too. Most notably four wheel steering and Harman Kardon stereo. This started happening late spring.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTK-421 View Post
Unfortunately you are not the only one. The semiconductor shortage is to blame. Some standard options have been eliminated and credited. On top of that certain add on options have also been eliminated too. Most notably four wheel steering and Harman Kardon stereo. This started happening late spring.
Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Something like this wouldn't have been make or break for me, but a courtesy of a heads up is the least they can do. Even the dealer didn't know, and now I have to figure out how they're going to retrofit it or get $400 + tax back from them.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
MoistureFarmerBBY
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Good to know, thanks. Something like this wouldn't have been make or break for me, but a courtesy of a heads up is the least they can do. Even the dealer didn't know, and now I have to figure out how they're going to retrofit it or get $400 + tax back from them.
Before you go out of your way to retrofit the wireless charging unit, just be aware that it's barely effective to begin with. I find that of using say apple CarPlay, the wireless charging base will help maintain battery level but it won't actually increase the % beyond 1-2 points per 30 mins. Other owners have shared that their devices run very hot without much increase in battery charge as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoistureFarmerBBY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackid View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Before you go out of your way to retrofit the wireless charging unit, just be aware that it's barely effective to begin with. I find that of using say apple CarPlay, the wireless charging base will help maintain battery level but it won't actually increase the % beyond 1-2 points per 30 mins. Other owners have shared that their devices run very hot without much increase in battery charge as well.
Duly noted. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

I noticed after I got my X7 last month that on one of my online builds it showed the wireless charging and wifi was deleted and there was a $400 discount as you noted. I had to go back to my window sticker and check to make sure mine had it and it wasn’t deleted on my actual build. The wireless charging really isn’t that great and I wouldn’t miss it but at this price point it is something it should have.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Mine was removed and it’s really a non issue.
The nfc capabilities are still there for the digital key engine start in iOS as well as card key and that’s all that mattered to me. The current wireless charging is 5W which is painfully slow. Just throw an apple mag safe usb c charger in the glove box and stow the wire away under the rubber liner and you’ll have 18w wireless charging that actually works.

Last edited by BigEvan1923; 07-04-2021 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I noticed after I got my X7 last month that on one of my online builds it showed the wireless charging and wifi was deleted and there was a $400 discount as you noted. I had to go back to my window sticker and check to make sure mine had it and it wasn’t deleted on my actual build. The wireless charging really isn’t that great and I wouldn’t miss it but at this price point it is something it should have.
I have never had a issue with the wireless charging pad in my last G05 and now my current G07 M50i. With my Galaxy phones, it has performed flawlessly. I have even left my phone on there on long cross country road trips for 10+ hours at a time in its smart case. No issues at all.

The NFC key card is a MUST and such a useful feature using the BMW key card. I never knew how much of a solution it was until I started using it all the time. No worries with water and can be hidden anywhere.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-04-2021 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I noticed after I got my X7 last month that on one of my online builds it showed the wireless charging and wifi was deleted and there was a $400 discount as you noted. I had to go back to my window sticker and check to make sure mine had it and it wasn't deleted on my actual build. The wireless charging really isn't that great and I wouldn't miss it but at this price point it is something it should have.
I'm hearing that a lot with how insufficient the charger is. But if in fact I don't have it, and I got a credit for it, then the dealership owes me money. We agreed on the price on the build sheet without the credit on the sticker. He's a good guy and checking on it for me, so I'm sure we will come to an amicable solution.

I did, however, notice the service guy showing me the features on the X7. He placed his Android device on the charging pad, and I noticed the change to the lightning charge icon indicating that it was charging.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoistureFarmerBBY View Post
Before you go out of your way to retrofit the wireless charging unit, just be aware that it's barely effective to begin with.
I'm going to have to say I disagree with that. At one point I was having CarPlay problems and slow charging but that is because I still had an iPhone X.

Upgrading to the iPhone 12 has solved everything and now the phone charges very well when running CarPlay, doesn't overheat, etc.

If I were the OP I'd be pissed that one of the biggest convenience features on the car was ripped out without my knowledge and I'd demand one be installed by the dealer as soon as they are available.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #11
G39x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

For the people without the wireless charging, can you still add keys on your iPhone? I think they said that they still have the NFC on the pad, just not charging. I also have a X3MC and the wireless charger made my iPhone 12 Pro Hot in about 30 minutes. So my X7 will not have it, but I don't really care for it, I really want the digital key feature to stay, which I think is not affected by this.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #12
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
For the people without the wireless charging, can you still add keys on your iPhone? I think they said that they still have the NFC on the pad, just not charging. I also have a X3MC and the wireless charger made my iPhone 12 Pro Hot in about 30 minutes. So my X7 will not have it, but I don't really care for it, I really want the digital key feature to stay, which I think is not affected by this.
All digital key/ key card features work perfectly. You just don’t get the anemic 5W charger.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #13
G39x
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvan1923 View Post
The current wireless charging is 5W which is painfully slow. Just throw an apple mag safe usb c charger in the glove box and stow the wire away under the rubber liner and you'll have 18w wireless charging that actually works.
Not sure if you will get the 18w capability due to charger requirements of the MagSafe. You still get I believe ~12-15w which is still way better than what the original bmw wireless charger gives you.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #14
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I'd be be more pissed at the shady dealer. Sounds like they overcharged OP and are now playing stupid. Even the window sticker shows it was deleted. It's not like the X7 is the only model impacted by shortages
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #15
G39x
Private
Rep

Also, I wanted to ask if wireless Apple CarPlay is affected? I believe wireless "ACplay" uses both wifi and bluetooth to connect, if we only have bluetooth now, does it make a difference? Or does the car have some kind of "intranet" wifi that allows connections?

Also, dealers are not very smart about the options that come on vehicles, other than the basic stuff, some are more knowledgeable, but my dealer didn't even know about DHP when I asked if a vehicle had it, he told me that this is a fully loaded model and says it has "dynamic mode." This is why we have to do homework before relying on the dealer to tell us about a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #16
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G39x View Post
Also, I wanted to ask if wireless Apple CarPlay is affected? I believe wireless "ACplay" uses both wifi and bluetooth to connect, if we only have bluetooth now, does it make a difference? Or does the car have some kind of "intranet" wifi that allows connections?
Carplay & Android Auto are not affected. The WiFi for CarPlay is not the same as the hotspot.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #17
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I'm going to have to say I disagree with that. At one point I was having CarPlay problems and slow charging but that is because I still had an iPhone X.

Upgrading to the iPhone 12 has solved everything and now the phone charges very well when running CarPlay, doesn't overheat, etc.

If I were the OP I'd be pissed that one of the biggest convenience features on the car was ripped out without my knowledge and I'd demand one be installed by the dealer as soon as they are available.
I have tested several iphone models and android models including iphone 12 with no case on it. All will barely charge if you aren't streaming music or using carplay. If you stream music or use car play, the phone will run so hot it sometimes turns off. The battery also doesn't charge.

I've tested the same exact phones on a loaner 2021 X5 I had for 10 days, and they did not have the heating issue, although they still didn't charge the battery when streaming and car play is in use.
If the phone was not in use, it would charge about 5% per hour.
Appreciate 1
Nath4n34.00
      07-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #18
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

Agree with folks that are saying regarding the ineffectiveness of the wireless charger. I've never had any luck with any built-in wireless chargers in cars. This goes for rentals I've driven as well as my X7 and Tacoma. If it does charge, it's very slow and phone gets hot. This is regardless of phone as I've had numerous iphones, Samsung and OnePlus that were wireless charging capable. I'll stick to the faster cable charging as the heat from these car wireless chargers can't be good for the phone's battery health/longevity.

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #19
Zavanelli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

Be happy you don't have it. I have it. It's pitiful. I had a usb charger on Day 2 of ownership. Heats the phone up dangerously hot and doesn't charge it at any acceptable rate. Take the $400, you win.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #20
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Don’t worry about it. Get the dealer to cut you a check for $400 and call it a day.

Like most have said it’s not that great. I have it and use it sometimes. First, getting your phone properly placed in the somewhat awkward location is hit or miss to ensure charging occurs. Then getting it out is a slight pain as well.

Then if you’re using navigation while charging it’ll overheat at times.

I usually plug mine into a cable charger.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I have tested several iphone models and android models including iphone 12 with no case on it. All will barely charge if you aren't streaming music or using carplay. If you stream music or use car play, the phone will run so hot it sometimes turns off. The battery also doesn't charge.
What you describe happened to my wife and I in my old iPhone X's for the first year of X7 ownership.

But now that we have iPhone 12's, our phones don't overheat, they don't freeze up iDrive, and they do charge effectively.

Qi wireless chargers aren't great, they can't come close to what a wired connection can supply. The expectation for the X7's wireless charger is simple- when in use for streaming, nav, CarPlay, etc. it maintains the battery percentage you started with. That's what any wireless charger in the same situation would do.

My wife and I don't use iDrive or Bluetooth at all for streaming or nav. We exclusively use CarPlay. We also never enter the X7 with our phones down to 10% and think the wireless charger will jolt us back up to 50% in 30 minutes. We'd use a lightning cable and a high speed USB adapter if that was our usecase.

The expectation of the BMW wireless charger is that if you get in the car with 75% battery, drive for an hour streaming Apple Music and using Google Maps, that when you arrive at your destination you still have 75% battery. That's as good as it gets for any Qi wireless charger.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #22
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
What you describe happened to my wife and I in my old iPhone X's for the first year of X7 ownership.

But now that we have iPhone 12's, our phones don't overheat, they don't freeze up iDrive, and they do charge effectively.

Qi wireless chargers aren't great, they can't come close to what a wired connection can supply. The expectation for the X7's wireless charger is simple- when in use for streaming, nav, CarPlay, etc. it maintains the battery percentage you started with. That's what any wireless charger in the same situation would do.

My wife and I don't use iDrive or Bluetooth at all for streaming or nav. We exclusively use CarPlay. We also never enter the X7 with our phones down to 10% and think the wireless charger will jolt us back up to 50% in 30 minutes. We'd use a lightning cable and a high speed USB adapter if that was our usecase.

The expectation of the BMW wireless charger is that if you get in the car with 75% battery, drive for an hour streaming Apple Music and using Google Maps, that when you arrive at your destination you still have 75% battery. That's as good as it gets for any Qi wireless charger.
I think for unknown reasons the experience is mixed between different users. I too have tried with wireless charging interestingly iPhone 11 was working great for me with music and CarPlay. No heating issues. Now I have iPhone 12 Pro, within 30mins it heats up and shuts down due to over heat :
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 0