BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum DISPLAY KEY - X7 - Review

09-09-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

DISPLAY KEY - X7 - Review

Here is my review for the BMW Display Key with fully-featured touchscreen vs remote services via (I use both, but each for a different non-redundant reasons).

Fancy or useless?
Let's start with this one. Is it fancy? well - yes at least to me; but is is useful or useless? The points below speaks to my experience with the display key. As far as the design and the fancy aspect, it is certainly a fancy key and always gets questions by collogues/friends and others if it's accidently setting on my desk, table in a restaurant, etc. Perhaps not the most important feature, but I truly think it is a fancy option.

Faster access to the status of doors "closed or opened", and much faster to condition the vehicle before taking off.
This is the main reason I am using it for. I know most of these features are available via the app, however, at least on my iphone it takes me about 7-10 seconds to condition the vehicle or to check the status of doors, etc (time needed to unlock via faceID, get the app, app loading, click the option needed aka condition/AC. Via the key, it is as quick as one swipe and one click, exactly 2-3 seconds and it's done. When am rushing to go to work, or for an appointment, I find it useful to be able to do that.

Faster "and only way" to adjust height remotely.
I have kids and sometimes my parents are around, and I like to adjust the height to a lower setting, turn the AC and let them access the vehicle while am getting ready rather than rushing to be the first in the car to do all this. Just like the earlier point, it takes be 2-4 seconds to lower the vehicle via the app and turn the AC on and give the access. With the app, i can not even adjust they height, and if so would take anyway more than 10 seconds to do all these 3 functions between unlock, AC, height adjust using the app. Of course the app does not send 3 signals at a time. you have to wait perhaps 15 seconds for each and do them in series, hence it would take 40 seconds or more, which means it is useless "or too slow" to use the app anyway for this function even if they add height adjust feature.

Feel of the key in the pocket
I actually find it to be more slick and lighter than the standard key. It's relatively thinner "on average", and has a very sleek design that fits nicely in your pocket. Mostly, sleek glass-like design or touch.

Charge and battery life:
- My display Key battery lasts about 3.5 weeks at standby when never charged. If battery dies, it continues to serve as a standard key with all the physical bottom functioning, except that you lose the touch screen. With wireless chargers all over the place with new phones now, I charge it at home or in the car form time to time. It also charges via a micro USB cable.

It is not as big as some reviewers said
Again, size and fit is perfect. I believe there was an older generation that appears to be bulkier in photos. To me, it feels smaller even though from a 2-D prospective "area" it slightly bigger than the standard key, but as a 3D object it seems to take less "volume" and feels smaller and slicker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      09-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

These are no longer included right? Just have to go buy it yourself?

And how is it connected or what's the range?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2 View Post
These are no longer included right? Just have to go buy it yourself?

And how is it connected or what's the range?
Display Key will be made available for more models starting this fall (so basically any-time now). If you need it right now, BMW has a few in stock and if you have some connections with those dealing with parts they may be able to get one (Key is not formally available, they will have to do it for you as a courtesy. A GM or a friend within BMW might help you to get one). Otherwise, get a used one online or wait until the key is formally available soon this fall per the info I have.

Range is super impressive, much more than the standard key, almost a thousand ft (something like 99X or 98X ft formally). My office is about 1040 linear ft away from my parking spot according to the map, and it still works for me.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-09-2022 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
blutob2283.00
      09-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
asianman35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cadillac ats

how hard are these to get after the fact? we already have our 2023, but curious if I can get one of these now? and for how much and where?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianman35 View Post
how hard are these to get after the fact? we already have our 2023, but curious if I can get one of these now? and for how much and where?
I had a 2019 and was able to get one "after the fact". I also have a 2022, and was also able to get one "after the fact". Cost varies from 300 to 500 USD depending on when and where you get it from. I believe it is closer to the lower range if you add it to the build from scratch as it will replace a standard key hence you only pay the difference. Some members reported paying $1200 for the "after the fact" purchase! I believe dealer rook advantage of them. I honestly did not pay for it. It was given to me as a courtesy for an on going business with my connection, or call it a gift or zero-cost order, I don't know.... Summary is I do not have a formal quote with a number.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
swarick
Private
Rep
Drives: x7

How much is this key?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #7
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarick View Post
How much is this key?
I'll try to ask my SA. As I said, I did not pay for it, it was give to me as a courtesy or a gift after I expressed my interest in getting one. See if your SA have some data points on the cost. I know that it costs $300-500 when it's added to the build from scratch. Not sure about the "after the fact" purchase but it costs more to buy it later compared to adding it to the build when it's available as an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here you go gents, the option is 3DS, and when available as an option, it costs $300 to add it to the build. Again, I am certain it costs more to buy it "after the fact"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #9
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarick View Post
How much is this key?
I googled it...I found a site that was selling it around $500. But it says "it is no longer available":

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...125A0B940.html
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the key has to be within range of the car to show all the features and control functions? or does it somehow communicate with your phone/BMW app and pull up the data when you are not close to the car?

sometimes i use remote cooling from the app when i'm not close to the parking lot. wondering if the display key would be able to do that.
      09-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

How do you get it programmed to work with your car if you get it after the fact?

I know in 2019 it was optional in the US, but they removed that option after 2019.

I have a 2020 and tried to get the dealer parts dept to order one, but they say it's been discontinued and they're not able to order it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #12
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

This link has a conversation regarding the display key that has kept me from asking about one:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598885
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #13
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamochi View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the key has to be within range of the car to show all the features and control functions? or does it somehow communicate with your phone/BMW app and pull up the data when you are not close to the car?

sometimes i use remote cooling from the app when i'm not close to the parking lot. wondering if the display key would be able to do that.
It communicates with the vehicle as long as within 1000ft. Once you exceed 1000ft distance, it will show the data based on the most recent information before the distance exceeded 1000ft and was actively communicating with the vehicle. Once you are beyond 1000ft, it's just like another standard key, so you get the cosmetic benefits of a nicer key only. They key does not communicate with the phone app. The phone communicates directly with the vehicle and that's why it sends signal and execute those orders much faster than the app which has to communicate with the vehicle through a GSM network back and forth.
Appreciate 1
wamochi21.00
      09-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #14
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
How do you get it programmed to work with your car if you get it after the fact?

I know in 2019 it was optional in the US, but they removed that option after 2019.

I have a 2020 and tried to get the dealer parts dept to order one, but they say it's been discontinued and they're not able to order it.
it does not require any coding. Pretty easy. All you have to do is hold your new key fob flat against the low key battery indicator on the side of the steering column. Then hold the start/stop button until the 'no key' warning light disappears. Press the start/stop button again to confirm activation was successful. And you're done!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #15
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
This link has a conversation regarding the display key that has kept me from asking about one:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598885
it's subjective. Aftercall, it is just another key with a display touch screen. Whether it's worth the $ or not, that's completely subjective. To me, it is certainly an upgrade compared to the standard key. There is only two possibilist: You don't need the touch screen and the functionalities hence just end up with a fancy key; 2. U really like the functionality and need it, and hence you get the functionality along with a nice looking key. To me, in both cases if the $ is not an issue, in both cases it's a good option to have. There was an older version of the key that was bulkier, heavier and does not hold charge. So with reviews back from 2019, I am not sure which version they are referring to because the key was upgraded.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-09-2022 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #16
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
it does not require any coding. Pretty easy. All you have to do is hold your new key fob flat against the low key battery indicator on the side of the steering column. Then hold the start/stop button until the 'no key' warning light disappears. Press the start/stop button again to confirm activation was successful. And you're done!
Interesting, so what you're saying is, I can buy one off ebay for less than $100, then hold it to my car's steering column and hold the start/stop button and it'll automatically program the key to work with my car?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 03:53 PM   #17
asianman35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cadillac ats

Quote:
Interesting, so what you're saying is, I can buy one off ebay for less than $100, then hold it to my car's steering column and hold the start/stop button and it'll automatically program the key to work with my car?
that sounds.... unsafe
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #18
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutob2
Where are you finding an OEM BMW Digital Key for less than $100? Realize, non-BMW digital keys do exist and probably are crap.

GENUINE BMW SMART DISPLAY 4 BUTTON TOUCH SCREEN REMOTE KEY - 5, 7 SERIES, X5

BMW 2017-2019 740i 750i DISPLAY KEY SMART SCREEN LCD REMOTE 6820746-01 OEM

That's just the first two that came up. There are many more that range from $80 to $500.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 03:59 PM   #19
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I tried to get one after the fact for my 2020 530e, couldn't be done. By early 2020 I was told from several sources that BMW stopped issuing them or allowing you to order them unless the car was originally optioned with it. This was why several sites that had previously sold the Remote Contolled Parking Retrofit for the 5 and 7 series had to discontinue them as they were no longer able to source the keys.

I also looked into the used route as well. Apparently there are very few, if any, key programmer devices that will allow you to clear the used key and reprogram it to the G-series chassis. They are also prohibitively expensive for a non-business user, costing several thousand dollars. The closest I came to doing it was that I found an unlinked key online which hadn't been used, but again, the cost of getting a key programmer wasn't worth it IMO.

Unless you happen to have a good connection like BMW5and7 said, it most likely won't be do-able unless you are able to option it from the factory.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2022, 03:59 PM   #20
blutob2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Neither say for the X7. 7 series is not an X7. But I have no idea how these Display Keys work or differ between models.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #21
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
with the exception that you have to have one of the already pre-programmed key already in the vehicle or next to the key. The process is well defined in your car manual depending on which year model you have.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 04:01 PM   #22
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
with the exception that you have to have one of the already pre-programmed key already in the vehicle or next to the key. The process is well defined in your car manual depending on which year model you have.
A pre-programmed display key or just a pre-programmed standard key?
Appreciate 0