BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 oil change tools

07-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

X7 oil change tools

I know there are a bunch of posts regarding this. But I wanted to specifically ask suggestions/recommendations on what equipment I need to buy for doing oil change(never done one in my life). It seems pretty straight forward with the necessary tools.

I have the basic wrench kit as you can see here in attached. I believe I have the 16mm nut driver for releasing the oil from the bottom.

1. I am changing oil at 5K miles, do I need to change the oil filter as well since this is halfway through the recommendation?
2. For oil filter cap I guess I just need a 32mm socket like this?
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-PT-STD...dp/B01N6DC1DT/
3. I saw a video where the guy used an electronic wrench to adjust the tightness, do I need that?
4. Just curious, where do you trash the oil after extracting it out?
5. Where is the cheap & best place to buy oil and filter?

Any tips for a first time person changing oil is welcome
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

You will want to get a torque wrench to torque the drain bolt and oil filter housing to the proper value.

You'll also need an oil drain pan, ramps/jacks and lots of shop towel/rags.

Most auto parts shops that sell oil also will take back old oil for recycling.
Your local land fill may also have an oil recycling service.

Many folks buy oil from fcp euro as they have life time return policy (yes even on used oil). So you basically pay for it once and get lifetime of oil/filter for free.

You should definitely change the oil filter if you are changing oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Many folks buy oil from fcp euro as they have life time return policy (yes even on used oil). So you basically pay for it once and get lifetime of oil/filter for free.
Lol im curious as to how this works? Do you ship them the old oil and filter to get new?
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
Lol im curious as to how this works? Do you ship them the old oil and filter to get new?
Yes you do an RMA and return the old oil/filter. They have instructions on their site.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      07-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Yes you do an RMA and return the old oil/filter. They have instructions on their site.

Wow, learn something new daily. Thanks for the info!
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You will want to get a torque wrench to torque the drain bolt and oil filter housing to the proper value.

You'll also need an oil drain pan, ramps/jacks and lots of shop towel/rags.

Most auto parts shops that sell oil also will take back old oil for recycling.
Your local land fill may also have an oil recycling service.

You should definitely change the oil filter if you are changing oil.
Thanks for that. I thought I didnt need jack/ramp for X7, since it has good clearance. I cant really take the oil from a open drain pan to a store can I? So should I consider buying a drain pan which is closable?

And how much lb-ft torque wrench should I buy?

Last edited by jonatious; 07-13-2021 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Are they crazy to give lifetime oil for one time cost? How do they make money then?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
Thanks for that. I thought I didnt need jack/ramp for X7, since it has good clearance. I cant really take the oil from a open drain pan to a store can I? So should I consider buying a drain pan which is closable?
You would want to pour the old oil from the drain plan back into the empty bottles that the new oil came in. Then you can take those bottle back to the store for recycling. (You wouldn't want to purchase a new oil drain pan every time you change the oil).

Get yourself a couple of oil funnels too, one to help with pouring new oil into engine, the 2nd to help with pouring old oil from drain pan into the empty bottles.
Appreciate 1
jonatious249.50
      07-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #9
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are they crazy to give lifetime oil for one time cost? How do they make money then?
Probably with repeat business buying other parts and most folks don't go through the hassle of actually returning used oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You would want to pour the old oil from the drain plan back into the empty bottles that the new oil came in. Then you can take those bottle back to the store for recycling. (You wouldn't want to purchase a new oil drain pan every time you change the oil).

Get yourself a couple of oil funnels too, one to help with pouring new oil into engine, the 2nd to help with pouring old oil from drain pan into the empty bottles.
Do I need a jack/ramp for X7? And what lb-ft wrench to buy?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do I need a jack/ramp for X7? And what lb-ft wrench to buy?
I never tried to go under so not sure if there's enough room without a ramp/jack. I think X7 has around 8-9 inches of ground clearance. 10 if you raise the air suspension to the highest setting. That may or may not be enough for you to get yourself and the oil drain pan under.

As far as torque wrench, most BMW's I've worked on had a 25nm or 18.4 ftlbs torque for the oil filter housing and oil pan plug. I assume it's the same for the X7 but you might want to look it up.
Appreciate 1
jonatious249.50
      07-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #12
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Not sure if I would rely on the air suspension and get under the vehicle. Best to disable air suspension (so no errors later) and then jack vehicle to get under.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #13
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I always use a set of ramps plus tire chocks when I get under the car. If I'm doing something that requires taking the tires off, I would put the tires under the car as well as an added security buffer.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #14
AdmirG07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 x7

Quote:
I know there are a bunch of posts regarding this. But I wanted to specifically ask suggestions/recommendations on what equipment I need to buy for doing oil change(never done one in my life). It seems pretty straight forward with the necessary tools.

I have the basic wrench kit as you can see here in attached. I believe I have the 16mm nut driver for releasing the oil from the bottom.

1. I am changing oil at 5K miles, do I need to change the oil filter as well since this is halfway through the recommendation?
2. For oil filter cap I guess I just need a 32mm socket like this?
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-PT-STD...dp/B01N6DC1DT/
3. I saw a video where the guy used an electronic wrench to adjust the tightness, do I need that?
4. Just curious, where do you trash the oil after extracting it out?
5. Where is the cheap & best place to buy oil and filter?

Any tips for a first time person changing oil is welcome
I like the "cheap & best" comment. Usually you aren't getting best for cheap 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #15
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirG07 View Post
I like the "cheap & best" comment. Usually you aren't getting best for cheap 😂
LOL I am not going for anything lower than BMW OEM oil. I guess I just mean the cheapest place to buy BMW oil lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:04 AM   #16
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

I just ordered a torque wrench, 32mm socket, oil drain pan. I believe the only other thing is to buy is oil and filter. Any recommendations on where to buy? Do you all buy OEM BMW oil? Is there any better or likewise oil brand to use?

I hope the quantity is 6.9 quarts?

Does this work?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...vD_BwE#fitment
Description doesnt have X7, but the owners manual says Longlife 01 FE

Last edited by jonatious; 07-14-2021 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:31 AM   #17
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Why do I need to go through this trouble and pay ~$80 for the oil + filter, if BMW dealer does the change for $99? :/
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 12:55 AM   #18
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I just ordered a torque wrench, 32mm socket, oil drain pan. I believe the only other thing is to buy is oil and filter. Any recommendations on where to buy? Do you all buy OEM BMW oil? Is there any better or likewise oil brand to use?

I hope the quantity is 6.9 quarts?
I have changed the oil a few times now on my X7 (and not to mention my other BMWs past and present)…..

1. The oil capacity is 6.5 liters = 6.9 quarts for the US spec 40i. OEM BMW oil comes in liter bottles.

2. You don't need to disable the air suspension but you will need to get the X7 off the ground to have enough room to work. If you don't have access to a hydraulic lift (like at an auto shop/garage), ramps will work too (you can find them at any auto parts store).

3. 25nm is the torque spec for the drain bolt. Don't over torque that bolt.

4. I prefer OEM BMW oil while under warranty, but what is most important is the oil grade and BMW designation. The X7 40i takes full synthetic 0W-20 or 0W-30 oil that is LL-01 or LL01FE - I prefer 0W-30. There are a few other authorized variants as well in your owners manual, but stick to one that BMW recommends.

5. You can order oil online or get it at your local auto parts store or Walmart. Prices can vary depending on brand or items being on sale. Just stick to the correct grade and BMW designation.

6. As far as the FCP Euro lifetime warranty, even for used oil and filters, it is real. But the hassle and cost to ship it back is noteworthy (and not always worth it) depending on where you live and which shipping means you use. Used oil is HAZMAT so it is not like shipping a box of chocolates.

7. If you have not done so already, search the net for DIY videos on changing the oil in the B58 engine (which the 40i has). The procedure is not hard, but it is always nice to actually see it done first if you can. Kies Motorsports actually did a video recently for the X7 40i.

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW X7 Factory Engine Oil Procedure.pdf (986.7 KB, 410 views)

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 07-14-2021 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
jonatious249.50
      07-14-2021, 01:09 AM   #19
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Why do I need to go through this trouble and pay ~$80 for the oil + filter, if BMW dealer does the change for $99? :/
Your time and piece of mind is worth something. Only you can make that determination of value when making the decision to DIY or pay for any type of service. Regarding an oil change, I almost always do them myself, including interim oil changes between the ones included with the factory maintenance. However, if the dealer is running a special, similar to what you posted, I will take it to the dealer from time to time. But I will never take my BMWs to Jiffy Lube (or something similar), even the ones that are long out of warranty…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
jonatious249.50
      07-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I have changed the oil a few times now on my X7 (and not to mention my other BMWs past and present)…..

1. The oil capacity is 6.5 liters = 6.9 quarts for the US spec 40i. OEM BMW oil comes in liter bottles.

2. You don't need to disable the air suspension but you will need to get the X7 off the ground to have enough room to work. If you don't have access to a hydraulic lift (like at an auto shop/garage), ramps will work too (you can find them at any auto parts store).

4. I prefer OEM BMW oil while under warranty, but what is most important is the oil grade and BMW designation. The X7 40i takes full synthetic 0W-20 or 0W-30 oil that is LL-01 or LL01FE - I prefer 0W-30. There are a few other authorized variants as well in your owners manual, but stick to one that BMW recommends.

5. You can order oil online or get it at your local auto parts store or Walmart. Prices can vary depending on brand or items being on sale. Just stick to the correct grade and BMW designation.

6. As far as the FCP Euro lifetime warranty, even for used oil and filters, it is real. But the hassle and cost to ship it back is noteworthy (and not always worth it) depending on where you live and which shipping means you use. Used oil is HAZMAT so it is not like shipping a box of chocolates.

7. If you have not done so already, search the net for DIY videos on changing the oil in the B58 engine (which the 40i has). The procedure is not hard, but it is always nice to actually see it done first if you can. Kies Motorsports actually did a video recently for the X7 40i.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the details, one last question, do I need 2 ramps or 4? I mean do I need to just lift the front 2 or back 2 or do I need to lift all 4? The problem for me is that I live in an apartment and it’s about storage space for me
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #21
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Good Luck!
Thanks for the details, one last question, do I need 2 ramps or 4? I mean do I need to just lift the front 2 or back 2 or do I need to lift all 4? The problem for me is that I live in an apartment and it's about storage space for me
Two ramps to drive up on (in the front) should be all you need - and is pretty standard for any DIY oil change in a driveway or apartment/condo parking lot (that is what I used once for my X7). But I recommend you also have some flattened cardboard boxes to put under your X7 to help catch any potential oil spillage. You would not want to piss off your HOA or property manager, potentially affecting future DIY oil changes in your complex

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #22
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Two ramps to drive up on (in the front) should be all you need - and is pretty standard for any DIY oil change in a driveway or apartment/condo parking lot (that is what I used once for my X7). But I recommend you also have some flattened cardboard boxes to put under your X7 to help catch any potential oil spillage. You would not want to piss off your HOA or property manager, potentially affecting future DIY oil changes in your complex …
Sure can you confirm if this kit is compatible with the X7?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...vD_BwE#fitment
Appreciate 0