X7M50_2021
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7M50i

Help with video playing options

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi folks,

I researched numerous threads but can't seem to get a straight answer what is the best way to watch videos on the main screen. I do not have a rear entertainment system and I use an iPhone.

Ideally I would like to screen mirroring as a solution but I tried screen mirroring but can't get it to work (everything I've read said I can't screen mirror with iOS). Also I can't jailbreak my phone.

So other options I was looking at was firestick or roku or hacking and apple tv but how do I connect it it to the video system if I don't have a HDMI input? Can I use a HDMI to USB A or C adapter and link up that way?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Hey. I don't have the RES, but have gone through some of the issues you ask about.

1. Correct, screen mirroring just doesn't work with iOS. I've tried a couple screen mirroring apps, but just no luck. Really is an Android thing for now.
2. If you're looking for video on the main screen, as you likely know, you're limited to stationary viewing, unless you code video in motion
3. I've gotten some videos to play off of a USB drive, plugged into the front USB ports. The entertainment system recognizes the drive as a entertainment source. Select the video, and it plays on the front main screen. Owner's manual describes which file formats are playable. The thing is, I can't get all my movie files to play. Only some work. They are listed in the list of videos, but if I click on them, they'll skip down to one that it decides is playable. Same video formats, so I can't figure it out. Makes me think it might be a copyright thing, but doesn't seem consistent which ones play and which don't.

Others may have more info.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
X7M50_2021
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7M50i

Bill,

Thank you for your inputs, I appreciate it and will try the USB.

Anyone else try Roku or Firestick HDMI to USB or C adapter? Just wondering before I waste my time buying all the HW and adapters.
Appreciate 0