BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Got to drive an X7 50i this past weekend. My review.

02-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #23
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

How quite was the X7 at highway speeds ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #24
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Never drove a GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffode View Post
Hey, if you have driven a GLS, how does it compare? I had a GLS as a rental in California for a week and I really disliked it. The steering was way too light especially for a car that big, it didn't feel like it was connected to anything. Plus the interior is atrocious, the new one should bring it in line to the other Mercs though
I've only driven the GLE and with the exception of the GLE43, I hated it. Way too soft and wallowy for our taste. Way too much body roll and head toss. Not a problem with the GLE43 (and I'd imagine the GLE63) though. The active curve option (similar to the hydraulic adjustable anti-roll bars on the DHP package BMWs) would be the way to go if you like to drive though. I think that is being replaced with the E-ABC suspension on upcoming GLS and GLE.

I'm axiously awaiting a test drive of the new 2020 GLE. Still not sure if we want a true 3-row SUV or a 2-row that in a pinch could have a 3rd row. With the new GLE being so much bigger than the old one, it might be an option. I want to try out the new E-ABC suspension, even though it is an $8,200 option. I'm sure I'd want the upcoming GLE53 though, as I like a sportier driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #25
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
How quite was the X7 at highway speeds ?
Seemed very quiet to me. You could hear the V8 (or was that coming from the speakers?) but it wasn't intrusive. Very serene is how I'd describe the overall experience. I only did about 1.5 miles on the actual highway but I don't recall hearing anything that sounded like wind noise or anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #26
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhanson View Post
Thank you. One of the best reviews I've read. You've answered so many questions I could never find the answers to. Perhaps because we both have one year olds.....
I've got a 14-month old and 5 year old now. My 5-year old is starting to get a bit squished behind me when I drive our F15. I can't fit a rear-facing baby seat behind my driving position either, hence why second row leg room is so important to me. With our Chicco KeyFit 30 behind the passenger seat, I still have to slide our F15's passenger seat forward to the point that I can't sit comfortably in the front passenger seat as my knees are jammed into the dashboard.

Sometimes it sucks being tall . . .

There will be no issues with this in the X7, as long as you aren't too worried about 3rd row legroom.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I've got a 14-month old and 5 year old now. My 5-year old is starting to get a bit squished behind me when I drive our F15. I can't fit a rear-facing baby seat behind my driving position either, hence why second row leg room is so important to me. With our Chicco KeyFit 30 behind the passenger seat, I still have to slide our F15's passenger seat forward to the point that I can't sit comfortably in the front passenger seat as my knees are jammed into the dashboard.

There will be no issues with this in the X7, as long as you aren't too worried about 3rd row legroom.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:10 AM   #28
321justcurious123
Registered
Rep
Drives: GL

Haven’t seen any X5s here down under but I assume the X7 will drive tighter than most Mercedes SUVs... having owned them they drive like a land yacht
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #29
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Both my wife an I took our dealers X7 for a drive on Saturday. It was a 40i pretty loaded except MSport but had 22s.

It looked bigger in person than I expected, its 9" longer than the G05 which is 3" longer than my F15. Inside is really impressive, the crystal shift knob is cool but I dont like how the P button in now tiny and not on top. The captains chairs are nice, theres an auto forward tilt to get access to 3rd row but its still a little tight and akward than I expected, best for kids just going down the center to get in 3rd row.

It drove beautifully but has noticeably more body roll than my X5, hopefully MSport DHP fixes that. I didnt feel like it was much bigger than the X5 when driving, pretty sure you sit higher too. It had all the tech for L3 autonomous, and the latest greatest new updated system, it was impressive. The LCD cluster is kinda weird and would take some getting use to, it has a NAV map in the background.

My wife really liked driving it which I was surprised, so there will be no problem trading her X5 in for it. Only issue will be getting a deal and lease payment we are happy with considering when I config the 45e it will be $100k+. I told her after all our discounts I would be happy with about $1200, and she didnt flinch at that lol.

My guy said 100% there will not be a 50d or diesel like I am hoping for, I said come on theres a tiny chance and why does he have to crush my dream LMAO
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #30
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Both my wife an I took our dealers X7 for a drive on Saturday. It was a 40i pretty loaded except MSport but had 22s.

It looked bigger in person than I expected, its 9" longer than the G05 which is 3" longer than my F15. Inside is really impressive, the crystal shift knob is cool but I dont like how the P button in now tiny and not on top. The captains chairs are nice, theres an auto forward tilt to get access to 3rd row but its still a little tight and akward than I expected, best for kids just going down the center to get in 3rd row.

It drove beautifully but has noticeably more body roll than my X5, hopefully MSport DHP fixes that. I didnt feel like it was much bigger than the X5 when driving, pretty sure you sit higher too. It had all the tech for L3 autonomous, and the latest greatest new updated system, it was impressive. The LCD cluster is kinda weird and would take some getting use to, it has a NAV map in the background.

My wife really liked driving it which I was surprised, so there will be no problem trading her X5 in for it. Only issue will be getting a deal and lease payment we are happy with considering when I config the 45e it will be $100k+. I told her after all our discounts I would be happy with about $1200, and she didnt flinch at that lol.

My guy said 100% there will not be a 50d or diesel like I am hoping for, I said come on theres a tiny chance and why does he have to crush my dream LMAO
Did you switch the suspension to "Sport" mode while you were driving? Both my wife and I thought "Comfort" (the standard when you start it up) was terrible. Way too floaty and too much body roll. Sport mode made a noticeable difference with surprisingly little body roll for such a large vehicle. The DHP (which apparently has the active anti-roll bars) should help quell any remaining body roll, but this is a 5000+ SUV with a high center of gravity. I agree that you do feel like you are sitting higher than in the G05 X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #31
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Inside is really impressive, the crystal shift knob is cool but I dont like how the P button in now tiny and not on top.

Aren't you able to just leave the car in drive and when you turn off the car,it automatically goes into park like DCT.I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the G05 forum that you can just do it that way,so there is no need to ever have to hit the P button.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #32
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
No I didnt fiddle with the settings too much, wife & kids were left at the dealer so I didnt want to take too much time as I needed to take shift watching the kids terrorize the showroom so she could drive it. We & the kids had already spent 10 mins checking it out before driving it, my guy offered to let us throw the kid seats in it so we could all go for a drive but thats too much work.

The 3rd row does have child seat anchors BTW, which is great.

Quote:
Did you switch the suspension to "Sport" mode while you were driving? Both my wife and I thought "Comfort" (the standard when you start it up) was terrible. Way too floaty and too much body roll. Sport mode made a noticeable difference with surprisingly little body roll for such a large vehicle. The DHP (which apparently has the active anti-roll bars) should help quell any remaining body roll, but this is a 5000+ SUV with a high center of gravity. I agree that you do feel like you are sitting higher than in the G05 X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #33
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
Yeah but I dont usually do that and the instances when you park but dont want to shut off the car.

One other thing which surprised me was the amount of USB ports. In the 2nd row are 4 USB-C ports but only 1 USB & 1 USB-C in the front. Glad they are on board with the future with USB-C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Aren't you able to just leave the car in drive and when you turn off the car,it automatically goes into park like DCT.I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the G05 forum that you can just do it that way,so there is no need to ever have to hit the P button.
Appreciate 1
SW192441.50
      02-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #34
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

Hey, Influence, I juggle a bunch of car seats too and have some observations on my end wanted to run by you and see if they are consistent with your understanding

1) Rear Tethers

Rear tether hooks for the second row bench are located on the seat back, about half the way down the back of the seat. Just like in X5, GLS, etc

For the captains, the hooks are located on the seat rail on the floor. Because of this, with a rear tether hooked up, the captains chair movement is constrained. It can't slide forward and back, and the backrest can't tilt either. So as far as the seat position goes, you gotta set it and forget it, pretty much.

2) Third Row Access

With cars seats in the second row you may be limited to manually sliding the seat forward to help people get in or out of third row. This is because with a car seat (tethered or untethered) in the second row, the second row backrest may or may not be able to fold forward.

It looks to me like the tilting mechanism with the bench works like this: seat slides forward, then the base of the second row seat tilts up, but the backrest stays in place. So to me it looks like if the second row is a bench, you can have car seats installed and it won't limit the function of the second row in aiding third row access. The whole bench will tilt up no problem. The seat backs will stay exactly as they are and won't squash the car seat or break the motor of seat.

With captains, however, it looks like the tilt mechanism works like this: seat back folds inward, then the seat base slides forward and tilts up. Because the captains seat back rests must be folded inward for the seat base tilt to work, you can't have car seats here and tilt the base. So you just need to manually slide the seat forward to let someone in, then slide it all the way back when they are done.

So for those with kids and car seats, captains not as practical, but maybe I'm seeing this wrong. Curious what you think about all that

Last edited by ppagiga; 02-26-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #35
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
Hmmm interesting. We already decided when we get the X7 the kids are permanently booted to the 3rd row lol, wonder if theres an intercom system to communicate with them hahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Hey, Influence, I juggle a bunch of car seats too and have some observations on my end wanted to run by you and see if they are consistent with your understanding

1) Rear Tethers

Rear tether hooks for the second row bench are located on the seat back, about half the way down the back of the seat. Just like in X5, GLS, etc

For the captains, the hooks are located on the seat rail on the floor. Because of this, with a rear tether hooked up, the captains chair movement is constrained. It can't slide forward and back, and the backrest can't tilt either. So as far as the seat position goes, you gotta set it and forget it, pretty much.

2) Third Row Access

With cars seats in the second row you are basically limited to manually sliding the seat forward to help people get in or out of third row.

This is because with a car seat (tethered or untethered) in the second row (whether it's the bench or the captains), the second row backrest can't fold forward. Because the backrest can't fold forward, you can't take advantage of the tilting functionality of the second row seat base. So you just need to manually slide the seat forward to let someone in, then slide it all the way back when they are done.

So for those with kids and car seats, not that practical, but maybe I'm seeing this wrong. Curious what you think about all that
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #36
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm interesting. We already decided when we get the X7 the kids are permanently booted to the 3rd row lol, wonder if theres an intercom system to communicate with them hahahah
yeah i'd like two in steerage also but for those long trips physical separation keeps the fisticuffs at a minimum
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #37
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Great review, Influence And that's OUTSTANDING info about the 2nd row seating. I'm the one that posted the G05 X5 review with the pictures of the 2nd row that started that discussion going. I'm 6'2" to 6'3", and am very interested in the 2nd row seating. Got the word that a local dealer has an X7 for viewing, for the next few days, so I'm headed over there tomorrow to check it out. Hoping for good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:30 PM   #38
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Great review, Influence And that's OUTSTANDING info about the 2nd row seating. I'm the one that posted the G05 X5 review with the pictures of the 2nd row that started that discussion going. I'm 6'2" to 6'3", and am very interested in the 2nd row seating. Got the word that a local dealer has an X7 for viewing, for the next few days, so I'm headed over there tomorrow to check it out. Hoping for good stuff!
Blue, what's up man welcome back. I remember us bs'ing about legroom back in Nov.

After having finally sat in one, to me the car feels exactly like i expected. On paper it's got 3.2" less legroom than the GL (0.5" front row, 1" second, 1.7" third) and it's immediately noticeable to me when I step foot in the vehicle. I can be comfortable in any one row, but achieving max comfort for all occupants will take more work than what I drive now. There is no way around that, but I'm willing to live with that.

One of the better dealer reviews online.

7:50 mark you’ll see the second row bench slide forward and tilt mechanism. You’ll also see the third row legroom with the second row all the way back.

Last edited by ppagiga; 02-26-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #39
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Drove an X7 50i with DHP today. It didn't feel anywhere near as large to drive as expected. I threw it into turns at the limit in Sport mode and it stayed very flat. There was almost no body roll. I was shocked at how the vehicle performed. The ride was very nice as well, much more comfortable than my X3 but still felt like a BMW. It pulled all the way to redline (only about 6k I think), but felt just a little slower than my X3. I can reiterate the comments about the interior - it was a great place to be.

Driving home in my X3 M40i I felt like a peasant. I will admit though, the X3 is just a little bit more fun to drive, IMO.
Appreciate 2
PIPE_DR354.50
aas5171.00
      02-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #40
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1) Rear Tethers

2) Third Row Access

With cars seats in the second row you are basically limited to manually sliding the seat forward to help people get in or out of third row.

This is because with a car seat (tethered or untethered) in the second row (whether it's the bench or the captains), the second row backrest can't fold forward. Because the backrest can't fold forward, you can't take advantage of the tilting functionality of the second row seat base. So you just need to manually slide the seat forward to let someone in, then slide it all the way back when they are done.

So for those with kids and car seats, not that practical, but maybe I'm seeing this wrong. Curious what you think about all that
I didn't take the time to check the tether locations so you're definitely the expert on this. If you opt for the bench seat and the tether is on the back of the seat, I think you could leave a car seat installed and still take advantage of the slide/tilt access to the third row. The key will be to make sure you use the "stock" recline position on the seat back. When you hit the button to slide the seat for third row access, the seat back doesn't move unless you had it reclined further (or possibly less) than the stock position. The seat then slides forward, then the entire seat (base and seat back) tilts up/forward for 3rd row access. 3rd row access was ok this way. When you hit the button to put the 2nd row seat back, it then reverses the tilt, slides the seat back into the "base" position, then brings the seat back recline back to its "base" position as well. So again, if you just stick with the base recline, I think you'd be ok. Sounds like you need to stick with the bench seat though due to the tether location.

If the captains chairs have the tether point attached to the floor then I agree, you are SOL on moving the seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #41
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I didnt fiddle with the settings too much, wife & kids were left at the dealer so I didnt want to take too much time as I needed to take shift watching the kids terrorize the showroom so she could drive it. We & the kids had already spent 10 mins checking it out before driving it, my guy offered to let us throw the kid seats in it so we could all go for a drive but thats too much work.

The 3rd row does have child seat anchors BTW, which is great.
Definitely go out for another drive and put it into "Sport" mode. I think you'll be much happier with how the X7 drives that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #42
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
I didn't take the time to check the tether locations so you're definitely the expert on this. If you opt for the bench seat and the tether is on the back of the seat, I think you could leave a car seat installed and still take advantage of the slide/tilt access to the third row. The key will be to make sure you use the "stock" recline position on the seat back. When you hit the button to slide the seat for third row access, the seat back doesn't move unless you had it reclined further (or possibly less) than the stock position. The seat then slides forward, then the entire seat (base and seat back) tilts up/forward for 3rd row access. 3rd row access was ok this way. When you hit the button to put the 2nd row seat back, it then reverses the tilt, slides the seat back into the "base" position, then brings the seat back recline back to its "base" position as well. So again, if you just stick with the base recline, I think you'd be ok. Sounds like you need to stick with the bench seat though due to the tether location.

If the captains chairs have the tether point attached to the floor then I agree, you are SOL on moving the seat.
yo thanks man. one more for you.

so do you think there is a way for captains to slide forward and tilt up without seat back needing to fold forward?

given that there isn't that button on the side of the captain chair for one touch slide/tilt for third row access, looks to me like the only way to get that tilt function going is to pull the seat back lever to fold the seat forward by about 30 degrees and then the seat takes over with its slide forward and tilt motions.

i think the only way for that to happen may be to use this button on the driver door. that being said, when you push that button it may fold the seat back forward, sense the car seat there, then stop the whole process.

anyhow, we'll find out soon enough

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 10.52.55 AM.png
Views: 804
Size:  291.5 KB

Last edited by ppagiga; 02-26-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #43
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
One of the better dealer reviews online.

I like how he said the X7 was completely redesigned for this year
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 2